Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:43 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: 22 May 2006: Berlin, Germany
PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 9:33 pm 
Site Admin

Did you see this show at Tempodrom in Berlin?

Post your impressions/photos/reviews here.

Please do not post in this thread if you did not attend this show.

Thanks!

Zappa.com Admin
www.zappa.com

Post subject: Yes I was there (Berlin, Tempodrom 22.05.2006)...
PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 6:07 am 

...it was a great memento to FZ. The artist were also great musicans an I think and also I see the precise playing of Frank's music. But, oh what a grieve the soundcheck was lousy. It was allways and everythink too loud to hear any fine art of his music and gradiation - there was no room for improvement. Shame to the operators!!!!

Apart from the lousy soundcheck, all fans and audiences where lucky to hear and see somethink they have missed a long time, me too. Some of them where realy FZ-Fan-Freaks with small faces long nose and his typical beard. Most of them now theirself grandfathers an grandma's. Some came with their childs and grandchilds.

At least my wife (a classic musican herself), interpretes FZ's music as chaotic, was positive convinced of the enormously performance and power of the artist.
Excuse my rusty english, thanks to Dweezil, the Zappa Family and the artists, what a pity for the soundcheck.
Willie the Pimp, 23.05.2006

Post subject: Heavenly music account
PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 7:50 am 

Hi there :D ,
although I came a little late, I found it pretty decent to start the show with a video that captured a ´70 Frank performance with all the virtuoso. I sat in the aisles behind the centre mixing deck and enjoyed the view, nice minimal stage design, lighting, intrumentation (two drum kits!). My 1st visit in the Tempodrom anyway. I remembered when the early Tempodrom tent was sitting next to the Berliner Kongresshalle in the Tiergarten in the ´80.
Musically no doubt a “Must have seen showâ€

Post subject: Berlin gig
PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 10:24 am 

What a great night. Unfortunately I was never able to see the master himself on stage. Never the less I enjoyed every second. I didn't know every song, but almost everyone. Of course Inca Roads was a highlight and I just listed to it a few hours before the concert. I agree with the others that the sound wasn't too good. I also realized that this concert isn't a real dirty rock concert it's more a siting event with many grandpas and grandmas.... 8) But that's ok.
This concert also showed me how hard it is to play some songs of the Helsinki Concert CD (YCDTOSA Vol2), where they even played it in faster versions. I probably never really realized what a great band this must have been back then.
Anyways I'm happy to wear my titties and beer shirt today in college, and see if anyone knows what it means. WELL, it means titties and beer. I guess.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 1:15 pm 

First of all: Many thanks to Dweezil, the band and everyone who helped to make this tour happen!

It was a fantastic 3 1/2 hour concert. I enjoyed every minute of it and am very happy to have been part of the audience. I've heard a number of other bands playing FZ music, but never in this quality and dedication to get even the tiny little details right. :D The audience hounoured this with minute-long applause, and even standing ovations after some of the more spectacular pieces. That's totally unheard of in Berlin, usually the Berliners aren't easily impressed and keep their cool, so I guess this means something :D

Steve Vai and Terry Bozzio were great, too. A nice bit of cream on the top, but the concert would have been a memorable experience even without them, because the band was fabulously good already.

I really loved Dweezil's guitar playing. He has his own style, but also managed to sound very much like FZ without copying his solos note by note. Dweezil, I hope you'll come back to Berlin some time to play some of your own music! I've been waiting for that ever since that Z tour with MK that never happened...

Trivia:
- Terry lost his right drum stick twice during "I'm so cute". The second time I sensed that he thought "Aw FUCK, not AGAIN!". He tightened his grip then and it didn't happen again :P
- Steve Vai filmed Terry Bozzio during the Black Page drum solo
- Ahmet was missing; Dweezil's way of addressing the audience was nice, but not very exciting
- they played the "new" song from the vault (Imaginary Diseases?), the set list was similar to the other concerts, no surprises
- willie the pimp is right, it would have been more enjoyable if it had been a little less loud, but otherwise the sound was OK

Post subject: hi from Lima Peru
PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 3:39 pm 

Hi freaks... I'm a big fan of FZ's music and I'm really excited about the Zappa Plays Zappa Tour... I know that it's almost imposible but... does Dweezil and crew think for a moment to come Southamerica, specifically my country Peru??? well maybe there's a little fan base around here but all depends on publicit the event properly right? Someone knows exactly if the tour will be released in DVD? please let me know... well that's it.. music is the best!!! thanks and bye

Post subject: Frank forever
PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 7:03 pm 

I was very touched by the fact that Dweezil, at the end of the concert, was touched by so many people who still love Frank and his music

Well despite the fact that Frank was one of the greatest composers of all times he was also a great teacher and, yes, somehow like a father for all Zappatistas

We all miss him very much and i guess its twice as hard for Dweezil sometimes ( being his son ) that this great man, father and teacher only exists in his and our memories now.

So it was the most beautiful gesture to bring back the spirit on stage so strongly like Dweezil and his fellow musicians did
last night in Berlin.

Thankyou Thankyou thankyou thankyou thankyou ....and thankyou

Alex

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 7:57 pm 

I was there and wrote a little piece in German afterwards:

http://pygmytwylyte.org/blog/2006/05/23/tour-de-frank/

Post subject: I love you all
PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 4:40 pm 

Thank you very much for the show in the Tempodrom last Monday evening.

Frank was wrong when he mentioned that "you can´t do that on stage anymore". You can, Dweezil.

The last time we (my brother an me) have seen Frank live was in 86 or so in Munich/Bavaria with Ray White and Chad Wackerman and other great people.
20 years later again ZAPPA live. With good musicians, superb performance and 200% of impact.

And: Dweezil with his own style and very sensitive mind. Thank you so much (I feel better than James Brown, now).

gspotwagner

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 11:14 am 

The show at the Tempodrom was fabulous. Born in 1980 in a town somewhere in west germany (about 200 km in the north of Dweezildorf ;) ), I heard my first Zappa-Records in my childhood. I started to sing along the german lyrics in "Stick it out" when I was 4 years old :mrgreen:. My parents told me, that some friends and neighbours really felt offended *G*.
I kept listening to franks music when i was a teenager, started to play the bass, and listen more carefully to Franks compositions.
But all in all it was often hard-to-play-stuff.
I was convinced, that if you want to perform that kind of music you must have composed it yourself, you have to be a verryyyy gooood musician (maybe a genius) or both. And you have to love music.

I was looking forward to a quite good concert (I got the ticket as a birthday present), but I didn't actually believed, that it would really be a great experience.
Dweezil and the band played great and very very perfect. (The rehearsals must have been quite effective).

A really good reason to become 26 years old again ;)

Great.