Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 6:14 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: 22 July 2008: Pompano Beach, FL
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 2:24 am 
Site Admin

Did you attend this ZPZ show at Club Cinema in Pompano Beach, FL?

Dweezil and the band love reading your reviews.

Please do not post in this thread if you did not attend the show.

Mikey
Zappa.com Webmeister

Post subject: CLUB DWEEZIL!!!!!!
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 4:31 am 

tonight's show was in every way what Frank fans would expect. Old, young, excited, chill, drug induced, dance craved, etc... they were ALL there. although there was only enough OXYGEN FOR MAYBE 1/2THE FANS AND 1/3 THE BAND (and even DWEZIL COMMENTED ON THE FACT!) every member was loving the vibe and sweating off the recent European tour they had just emerged from. Starting with classics and playing rarities diversifying into many intricate jams from "Joe's Garage" and then taking a very brief break and playing as hard as the venue could handle and finishing off the night with haunting guitar solos and entrancing light shows paired with piano, drum, marimba, bass, AND horn solos to end a miraculous FIRST US SHOW this time around.

dweezil and the crew even stayed around to sign some swag for the fans. Starting with a reminiscing MOTHERS OF INVENTION album (LP) and secnondly MY FEDORA HAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i even spoke with Billy Hulting AND the one and only Dweezil for a bit and BOTH just seemed honored to be playing such FUN and rewarding music for appreciative fans.

ALL IN ALL, I CAME WITH A GRIN EXCITED FOR WHAT WAS TO COME, END LEFT WITH AN EVEN BIGGER SMILE FOR WHAT EACH MUSICIAN GAVE TO ME, AND US!!!

peace,
chris g.

Post subject: Re: 22 July 2008: Pompano Beach, FL
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 1:52 pm 

Once again You guys(and beutiful lady) have amazed me. The band was so tight playing some of Franks most difficult pieces. Joe, nailing all those Vinnie parts, you the man. I love the way you just capture the feel like on outside now, those strange Vinnie runs with choked cymbal in the middle of the subdivision.... I feel a keep it greasy on the next tour, it will be fun to see those grooves in 19 and 21.
We need to find you guys a new venue in S. FL. Besides there being no air, the bass was drowning everything out during the first few tunes.
Anyway, my compliments to all 0f you, and thanks for keeping Franks music alive.

Mike[/quote]

Post subject: Pompano's magic
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 3:23 pm 

Lucky to see these guys for the scond time around and I hope they keep on delivering Frank's music for many years to come. Last night we witnessed transmogrification, as Dweezil is now delivering on the guitar with a fluidity that I did not feel on the first tour and in adition to that is now conveying a soulfullness with every note that has elevated his interpretation of Frank's music. I felt FZ coming trough right through Dweezil's hands.

And it is not that he is duplicating what was done before, but he has taken command of the music and is performing it with a mastery not of someone who has it memorized but who is interpreting as his own. Standing ovation as far as I am concerned.

While I enjoyed thoroughly the entire show, the Slime encore took me right into Zappa's world and for someone who has heard that song 1000 times and knows it back and forth in almost any version out there, well there are no words. That was the highlight for me.

Dweezil, you have a great band, Ray is singing as great as he ever did, but last night was your playing.

Thanks and come back (hopefuly a little further south towards Miami!!!).

Javier

Post subject: Grateful in South Fla
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 7:36 pm 

I attended the Pompano show last night, as I did the Boca show in 12/06. I'm 50 and a life long musician and music fan of eclectic taste and a Zappa fan since the early 70s. I've walked away from both ZPZ shows with a strong sense of satisfaction and thankfulness that this music is being brought back to life by another generation of musicians (and a few well-preserved geezers!), and most especially by DZ, for obvious reasons. The venue was quite warm to put it mildly and there were a couple of sound challenges at first, but the band remained COOL - the hot bass issue was fixed and the phantom silencing of DZs guitar was corrected with calm professionalism - just outstanding musicians and crew focusing on putting out outstanding music. I was struck that the set list contained only two tunes from the 2006 show (Cosmic D and Slime if I remember correctly) and that there is such a wealth of incredible material from which to mine. There may be a little nostalgia involved in my feelings, but only a little. This is arguably the best stuff being put out today by an ensemble (Yeah, I know RTF will be in S. FL next week), despite its being composed some 20-40+ years ago. And that says it all right there. Kind of recalls Euro classic music in that sense. So, DZ and crew, you are the single most important live interpreters of this great body of music. Keep it up - and a heartfelt thank you for doing so. I could comment with vigor and excitement about the set, but will spare everyone. I just wanted to say thanks. Scott Wiles

Post subject: Pompano
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 11:28 pm 

After the soundman got it together ( 3 songs ) the show was great. Got better and better. Saw Frank 20 plus times. He would be proud. Dweezl can play. Brought my 22 and 19 year old daughters. They knew most of the songs, making their dad proud. The band could use a bone player. I'm available.
td

Post subject: ZPZ at Pompano Cimema
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 12:55 am 

Loved it... loved it... loved it
When are you coming back?

Key Largo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 7:54 pm 

Saw the Pompano show and it was SUPERB!!! The venue left a bit to be desired but the "music was the best"!!!! Please come back, there's so much more material we NEED to hear!!!!

Thanks to Dweezil and the entire crew for an excellent experience. Brought back very fond memories of the 70's concerts I attended, especially the Mothers Day extravanganza at the "Aud" in Chicago!!! Man, was my mother pissed at me that day! Tough patooties!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:55 pm 

Pompano Beach: usually good for grocery shopping and sleep, and that's about it... except when Dweezil & Co. stopped by! Wish they could've sold out the house for you, especially after the crowds we've been hearing about from other gigs.

Thanks especially for the generous servings from Sheik Yerbouti, which helped me through senior year in high school. Ray White on "City of Tiny Lights" -- great job keeping those pipes tuned 30 years on! "Flakes" came in especially handy after attempting a quick bite at a "fast" "food" joint nearby: waited for five minutes while within view of three counterdroids, who were even more oblivious to the spilled drink out front. (Young'uns, the "frosting a cake with a paper knife" line references a canned frosting commercial from the late 70s, supposedly so smooth that you could spread it with cardboard.)

Post subject: Pompano Concert
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 1:20 am 

:( Tuesdays concert was probley the worst nite of my adult life. I was 5 dollars shy of the ticket fee and could not find anyone selling a ticket-only 1 person the whole nite-i never saw that before. I stood out front of the entire show waiting for someone with a ticket and it never happened. I can tell you that every person who came out complained about how hot it was inside. This was a big step down from Mizner Park-the last time they were here-but i guess thats why it was cheaper. Song selection was great I thought. I was hanging all nite with the Broward Sheriffs-they where haggling prices with the manager-they were getting $1750 to secure the gig from what i heard-the sheriffs were just leaning on their cars and drinking coffee-but at least they were there. It was a real bummer for me as a lifelong Zappa fan to get so close and not hear them-I would have traded a dozen concerts to see this one! :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 12:03 pm 

what a great show. Venue was a little hot and crowded but a good time was had by all. no set list posted yet? weel here it is straight from the stage and kindly signed by dweezil

blue lagoon
imaginary diseases
city of tiny lights
pygmy twylyte
idiot bastard son
cheepns
cosmik debris
g-spot tornado
flakes
broken hearts are for assholes
bamboozled by love
king kong
joe's garage
fembot in wet t shirt
outside now
he used to cut the grass
packard goose
willie the pimp
i am the slime

muffin man was on the set list as optional but they did'nt play it.
a few different songs from when i saw them 7/8 in Lansing.

Post subject: pompano show
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 10:54 pm 

Okay, the venue was awful. That said, Dweezil and the band more than made up for the surroundings. They played with so obvious a love and reverence for FZ's music. FZ is, arguably, the most gifted composer of the last century and probably many centuries to come. We owe Dweezil a debt of gratitude for bringing his dad's incomparable music onto today's lackluster music scene. The man is a consummate musician, an amazing guitarist.
And what to say about Ray White? A living icon who can belt it out.
The band was totally in synch, perfectly tight, in a way just not heard today.
I loved the Boca concert, I loved this one. South Florida awaits your return! - Lynn

Post subject: Pompano show
PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 3:37 am 

Like everyone else here, we thought the show was amazing! Dweezil and the band members did not disappoint. The venue could have been better. After the first 3 seconds of listening to him and the band start playing though, we forgot all about the hot club with little to no oxygen! We were lucky enough to be in the front row. It was REALLY nice of Dweezil to hand out picks and sign autographs for as long as he did. We were lucky enough to each score a pick and a nice autograph. I wish I could have taken a few pictures of the band while they were playing, they looked incredible. The irony here is Billy Hulting took MY picture and I would like to have taken his! Oh well. Can't wait til the third time they come back, but hopefully in the winter for their sake!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:43 pm 

there is nothing like a live show, and seeing someone for the FIRST time is even more special. This was my first time seeing and hearing zappa's music live. i have been a long time listener of only a handful of albums, but have recently expanded my library.

the band looked like they were having so much fun and really getting off on the jams. i could have listened all night.

as for the venue, well... let me just suggest pompano ampitheater. best venue in town.

gc.

Post subject: Re: 22 July 2008: Pompano Beach, FL
PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:21 pm 

A bit late with this review, but I just registered today....the show was amazing - I loved the fact that they did some stuff from Joe's Garage - at the 2007 show at Mizner in Boca Raton, FL, they didn't play anything from that album, but the fact that Steve Vai and Terry Bozzio made an appearance there was the highlight of that show.