Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Fri Aug 29, 2014 4:06 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: 24 May 2006: Budapest, Hungary
PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 6:49 pm 
Site Admin

Did you see this show at Petöfi Csarnok in Budapest?

Post your impressions/photos/reviews here.

Please do not post in this thread if you did not attend this show.

Thanks!

Zappa.com Admin
www.zappa.com

Post subject: Mindblowing
PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 10:32 pm 

I've never even been a big Zappa fan, because I felt inadequate compared to all of my Hungarian friends who seemed to be so 'well read' when it came to Zappa.

Back in '91 I remember my Hungarian colleagues asking me "Drew, what does this mean 'why does it hurt when I pee?'" It was really too funny to be true, but the fact was they enjoyed the music and had no idea what was being said in the lyrics.

I have a new American pal, who I've known for just a couple of weeks and asked him last night over beer whether or not he'd be interested in going to tonight's concert. Seeing as he's a guitarist, I told him I'd heard Vai might be there - so early in the day today we decided we'd go.

But I must say that the most wonderful part of the concert was Napoleon. Even the initial screening of the old Zappa concert was fantastic, if only to see that Napoleon had hardly aged in almost 40 years. Such wonderfully positive energy, even if there was a bit less hair on top... When I saw this man so deeply enjoying performing this material I felt like I was seeing someone who had been fired from the best job they ever had, but somehow got their job back.

As for Dweezil, his playing was solid. Sometimes I wish he would break out a bit more - it's almost as if the spirit of Frank is hanging over his head and it's maybe a bit of a burden. But that doesn't mean that his playing wasn't awesome. Let it roar, my brother. Crank up the 'wah'!

I marvelled at the profundity of Dweezil playing his dad's music. Just think for a moment: let's say you've got this really really weird dad who plays this music from outer space. How does a kid react? Rebellion or acceptance? It must have been tough, but I find it touching that Dweezil took this project on. And he actually 'gets it' - which is probably the most challenging thing to do when you are the offspring of someone very special. Kind of makes me think of sports icons like Michael Jordan. Is it ever possible to live up to that legacy?

And seeing them guitar solo together, I thought about the relationship with Steve Vai and how these musicians provide the missing link to his dad, who was taken from all of us much too soon. Frank, who used to wail on his wah wah like a madman in the 70s takes on this hotshot teenager, Steve Vai, who becomes a legend in his own right. And then Dweezil invites Steve on the tour, and the whole gig fills in the gaps of these relationships between Steve and Frank, Frank and Dweezil, etc.

Probably the best concert experience I've had in the last 10 years.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 7:46 am 

Thanks for coming to Budapest.First of all,thank You Dweezil!He is a good son,good musician,good boss , authentic successor and really very nice man.The show was great,fascinating.Both old and young musicians were professional conducted by Frank's spirit.

Thank You so much from Hungary!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 8:33 am 

Zappa Played Zappa in Hungary
Return Of The Son Of Monster Magnet

Yes, the rumors proved to be true: this was an amazing night, a night of music.

Unfortunately the circumstances were not very good: it was raining all day, and since the show was to be held at an open venue… well, there were some questionmarks above our heads in those imaginary bubbles. But finally the gig was moved to the indoor part of the same place, so we did not have to stand out there in the rain.

Another thing: the promotion of this show was not the best: I only saw 4 or 5 posters in town, there was not too much advertisments in papers or radios, so I was afraid whether there will be enough people coming to see the concert. Frank Zappa himself had never toured here with his own band (not counting his short visit in ’91), so I think much bigger promotion would have been necessary.

But the people atteding the show might have been pleased, indeed. The start was a bit cold with Help I’m a Rock and Hungry Freaks Daddy (after the 25 minute of the Roxy DVD, of course), and the first real energy-bomb was Florentine Pogen. I have to repeat what others said million times: Napoleon is really great, funny – really good! Dweezil did a real heavy solo in there. And yes: the band was tight!

One thing that still vibrates in me, is the heavy sound of the band. Really well-rehearsed, really together, very tasty. There were some really deep drum- and bass-sounds here and there, Joe Travers and that metalist bass-player guy was really good!

Another highlight: The Black Page #1. Started by 3 drummers (!!!), doing really great job. Might be the best Black Page I’ve ever heard.

Steve Vai was great – this was the first time I saw him live. Some great solos, and some impossible guitar parts, sometimes together with Dweezil.

And there are still some questionmarks in me, and some minuses. In King Kond Dweezil demonstrated some handsignals his father used to use, but with this „now I’m gonna show some handsignalsâ€

Post subject: show in budapest
PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 10:24 pm 

Hi zappafans in Hungary...

at first I will by sorry for my englisch...

I came from slovakia,I was in Budapest on the Dweezil,s show...
All that was wonderful for me,but this rain in pest streets too...
and now what I want from you...please some foto,s from show,becouse I did,not myself doing...
at last when possible foto,s from area...people...fans..and others from this event in PeCsa.....please one more time: I am very sorry for language

my email adress:miklossyrado@stonline.sk

kessenem sep

Post subject: ZPZ in Budapest
PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 11:27 am 

Hi kalamajkamajka,

please visit this page where you'll find some reviews - and some pictures, too. Come back later, because there's more to come!

Post subject: ZPZ pictures (Budapest)
PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 6:05 pm 

Here are some more picturesfrom the Budapest show - thanks to www.hardrock.hu!

Post subject: just a pic
PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 6:45 am 

this one looks better (I've worked on it a bit - made of 6 individual pictures):

Okay, a bit small, but what the hey...

Post subject: More pictures from Budapest
PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 3:33 pm 

Budapest - nice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 3:12 pm 

Some more pictures from the Budapest show - see the rest here.

"As far as I know my father had played here in Budapest in 1991... right?..."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 10:18 pm 

Come back to somewhere Central Europe in this year,Vienna,Zagreb,Budapest again!Come on guys! :!:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 8:52 pm 

Thank You very much for return ZPZ to Europe!!!We can reach Munich or Erfurt!I'll be there!It's great,but Eastern Europe?