Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:03 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: 26 May 2006: Zurich, Switzerland
PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 6:34 pm 
Site Admin

Did you see this show at Volkshaus in Zurich?

Post your impressions/photos/reviews here.

Please do not post in this thread if you did not attend this show.

Thanks!

Zappa.com Admin
www.zappa.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 10:18 pm 

Just got back from the show and I was quite impressed. Standing just a few feet from the stage I had more than two hours of the music I've loved for so many years. Note for note, Dweezel brought Frank back to life. It was also a treat to see a somewhat aged Napoleon Murphy Brock jumping about the stage. Unfortunatly I had to leave to catch my train in the middle of what was to be their last song, "Sofa". I did not catch an enchor if there was any. With Stevie Vai present I would have loved to hear "My Guitar Wants to Kill Yo Mama". One slight disappointment, Terry Bozio was on the bill but did not show up. Why?

Cheers
Paul

Post subject: Zürich - city of tiny stage
PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 11:27 pm 

This was after Amsterdam and Dweezildorf the 3rd show I attended and the 1st show w/o Terry Bozzio(!), cause he has other allegiances. He will be back to the Brussels gig.
This was also the shortest show cause they didn’t play the Bozzio killers “I’m So Cuteâ€

Last edited by Elmar on Sat May 27, 2006 2:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: VOLKSHAUS ZÃœRICH
PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 7:20 am 

The show last night was hilarious and wonderful. I can't say much more than Elmar, but just some additions: Dweezil was all smiles during the whole show and he played with an easiness which makes him a true heir of the FZ catalog. Playing simultanously with Steve Vai seemed to be effortless for him and was one of the highlights of the show. The 74/75 era was predominant. The sound at the beginning was a bit akward, but got better soon (yet during the movie section). In the first half of the show the mix was not FZ like as drums and basses were much louder than the guitars, clearly said they were too loud. But at the end everything was fine. The players and the crowd wre all cheering. I wish there will be a CD or DVD from the tour.
:D romeo nathan bumann

Post subject: The McZappa Show in Zurich
PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 3:06 pm 

Hate to be a critic, but the show in Zurich was pretty tame indeed.

I have been dining over the past 7 years on the homemade burgers that Project Object (with Ike Willis and also last year with Napoleon) have been cooking up. I have seen Project Object 7 times, twice with Napoleon Murphy Brock.

I have seen Zappa live twice in Munich (1982 and 1986).

The Zappa Plays Zappa show in Zurich was very much a McZappa show and there was plenty of cheese on the burger. Here are my beefs with the show:

1) Where was Terry Bozzio and why were the fans not informed about his absence??

2) The sound quality as the movie was shown was miserable, it sounded like a teenage boombox being played backstage.

3) What is up with a 2 hour and 4 minute concert? Britney Spears does longer shows than that. Project Object always do a minimum of 3 hours, sometimes even 3.5 hour shows.

4) Dweezil played only three real solos (Inca Roads, Oh No and Montana) and he tip-toed his entire way through the show. He played like he was scared. He had very little passion and he was 100% uncreative.

5) Steve sounded excellent last night but he was only onstage for the second half. What is up with that? He was very good at what he did play though. Peaches was very good indeed.

6) Do not let Joe Travers play the Black Page in the future. Sure it was a brave attempt, but the tempo was certainly slowed down and it was a truly a half-assed version.

7) And the biggest dissapointment was that I did not laugh once last night. There was absolutely ZERO humor in the music last night. Project Object definetly make their crowds laugh, drawing from current world events, and delivering straight up humor!

Not to be a total asshole, I will tip my hat to the Zurich crowd. Very inspiring indeed. The Swiss fans were smoking up a hashishy storm and the applause was good. The Belgian sound crew were also good, BUT DEFINETLY MORE VOLUME IN THE FUTURE. Sheila on the horns and keyboards was also a nice addition. Lighting was pretty good, stage layout was good - except maybe in the future, give Dweezil a 'John Entwistle Type' stage location, or possibly a chair to sit in.

I have paid money to see the ZPZ show in Boston on June 13th, and I appreciate the musical endeavour that makes this tour special. I thank the entire band for the show, and in the future I will continue to support the amazing showmanship and musical talent of Project Object in the USA.

Andrew and Jason

Munich, Germany

Post subject: without Bozzio
PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 10:13 am 

About the presence of Terry Bozzio see this announcement.
(His drumkit was not that big at all, btw.)

It's quite a pity that the fans are not informed really well about things. And: no meeting with fans, no interviews, no further infos...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 9:04 am 

Excellent show. Really, really enjoyable. To hear Frank’s music being played, and played well, was a real treat.
I could immediately tell Terry Bozzio was not going to be involved as his drum kit was not present. I had questions about this months ago as his site doesn’t list a few ZPZ dates and he has some clinics around that time. Disappointing only in that the promoters hung posters around this city with TB’s name on it.

That said, Joe did a great job backing the band for the entire set. Excellent sound, timely and offered up the occasional backing vocal/offering. Sporting a nice FZ:OZ shirt too (were those available at one point?).
Pete on bass did a rock-solid job of playing. Definitely in the Scott Thunes mode of Zappa player: energetic, enthusiastic (like Thunes he was mouthing just about all the lyrics all night) and obviously having a great time. And thankfully he abandoned the pick playing, unless it was (apparently) necessary, most of the time. I’m not terribly sold on the 5-string bass being needed, but with some arrangements being revamped maybe the extra bottom is needed.
Jamie on rhythm guitar did a great job. It takes a special and confident personality to play pretty removed from the spotlight. When your band leader is a guitarist and a special guest is a “stunt guitaristâ€

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 6:29 am 

Wenn der Sohn mit dem Vater...

die kritik

MUSIK. Dweezil Zappa führte in Zürich durch einen nostalgischen Abend

Pünktlich auf die Minute eröffnet Frank Zappa das Konzert im ausverkauften Volkshaus in Zürich. Via Videoeinspielung versteht sich. Die halbstündige Sequenz aus dem unveröffentlichten Roxy-Konzert von 1973 ruft in Erinnerung, für was Frank Zappa steht: irrwitzige Texte, atemberaubende Instrumentalpassagen, ausufernde Soli und das packende Charisma eines Künstlers, der streckenweise nichts anderes machen muss, als leger rauchend auf der Bühne zu stehen. Doch an diesem Abend ist Frank Zappa bloss Vorprogramm. Das Hauptprogramm bestreitet sein Sohn, Dweezil Zappa, der mit «Zappa plays Zappa» die Musik seines Vaters einer breiteren Masse eröffnen will. Dabei leistet die achtköpfige Formation beste Arbeit, wenngleich im Ganzen filigrane Details einem zu modern und bombastisch geratenen Gesamtsound zum Opfer fallen. Die enorme Dynamik, mit welcher Zappa Senior seine dichten Kompositionen stets durchsichtig zu halten vermochte, wird durch die Dominanz der drei Gitarristen eingeebnet. Umso beachtlicher die gesangliche Leistung des über 60 Jahre alten Napoleon Murphy Brock, dessen wandlungsfähige Stimme auch im Tumult treffsicher intoniert.

Showman. Nicht nur stimmlich, sondern auch als Showman trägt Brock einen Grossteil zum Gelingen des Abends bei. Dweezil spielt bewegungslos und grinst verlegen, wo sein Vater einst überlegen rauchte. Die restliche Band (inklusive Saitenvirtuose Steve Vai, jedoch - zur Unfreude einiger - ohne Terry Bozzio, der noch vor wenigen Tagen in Berlin eine imposante Darbietung bot) meistert das zweieinhalbstündige Konzert zwar absolut notentreu, aber gerade deswegen nicht originalgetreu. Boten Frank Zappas Formationen ständig Neues, Gewagtes, Missratenes und Spontanes, liefern Dweezil und Co. bloss erlesene Covers für Nostalgiker. Doch gerade die sind zahlreich anwesend und begeistert. Peter, 42, aus Zürich singt bei Sofa#1 einen falschen Text und strahlt dazu: «Das ist wie früher!» - und der zehn Jahre ältere Beat aus Schaffhausen erklärt seiner müden Frau: «Das ist was anderes als diese Eurovision.»

STEFAN STRITTMATTER

© BAZ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 8:58 am 

Some random comments:

amorollo wrote:
but the show in Zurich was pretty tame indeed.

Well, granted I usually attend classical and jazz concerts but if a show where the band members are obviously having a great time, many of them dancing around and mouthing the words and one of them does a guitar solo with his tongue, well, if that’s “tameâ€

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 7:48 pm 

Right on Jay :!:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 6:47 am 

Is the Tour over? What's new?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 12:02 pm 

Message From MIKEY !!

SPREAD THE WORD TO EVERYONE YOU KNOW !!

My brand new MacBook Pro 17" laptop was stolen from one of the dressing rooms after the Zurich Show. Along with it, an external hard drive containing all the raw photoshop template files for the ZPZ mini-site and miscellaneous graphics and other projects. To say I was gutted would be an understatement.

If you live in Zurich and happen across someone trying to offload a MacBook full of Zappa photos, Vai photos and other music related goodies, please contact us. I would like a chance at personally cutting off the guy's hands who thought it was okay to come take something that I use to earn a living with.

Mikey (ZPZ webmaster)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 1:21 pm 

That is *really* shitty. Sorry to hear about that, Mikey.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 3:05 pm 

I noticed the zphotos and zvideos have not been updated lately .... guess you haven't got ur 'puter back! shitty man!

off to Britain, then soon enuff back on North American soil!!!

Sounds like an amazing show ... any idea when Ahmet will be joining??

Looking forward to June 16 here in Toronto good luck with "Canadian Customs" lol

"Touring can drive you crazy" or was it "We're only in it for the touring"

Post subject: Jay Wrote
PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 7:40 pm 

Hey Jay,

that is my opinion only. Take it or leave it. Like assholes, everybody has an opinion.

I felt the Zappa show in Zurich was a total letdown, and I am a fan enough to have flown myself over to Europe to see the show.

Regarding the curfew. Bullshit is the theme there. You believed that??

And you thought Napoleon was having fun in Zurich. I saw him 4 times over the previous 12 months doing 3.5 hour Zappa shows in very small venues together with Ike Willis, and all Napoleon did in those shows was sing, dance, chat like a mofo with the audience, play the sax and the flute, and again, laugh and talk with the audience. Napoleon is in this for the money.

Rock and roll either way Jay.

Thanks for responding to my post. I obviously pushed your buttons which was not my intention. Each to his own.