Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:23 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: 27 May 2006: Milan, Italy
PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 7:53 pm 
Site Admin

Did you see this show at the Mazda Palace in Milan?

Post your impressions/photos/reviews here.

Please do not post in this thread if you did not attend this show.

Thanks!

Zappa.com Admin
www.zappa.com

Post subject: live in milan
PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 7:52 am 

hello we were in milan the night of 27th and when I say we it means that we are more than one people.....exactly they were me, my wiife and my daughter sitting on the place 1,2,3 of first line..........We are fanatic zappians and we are happy for the great night of music, great notes as usual for Zappa Family and Trust, if anyone want to see the last hour of the concert send me a message I've a DVD with Montana - So Much trouble - and other songs. Bye

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 3:43 pm 

ZPZ -05/27/06: MADZA PALACE-MILAN-ITALY.

I flew from Madrid to Milan to see ZPZ. It has been a great experience to feel again FZ´s music alive since 1988 that was last time saw him in Madrid.

The footage at Roxy & live set list was practically the same as gigs before excepting the encores which change positions ( as I remember : Camarillo Brillo, More Trouble Every Day & Cosmic Debris as the final ones.)

The sound of the concert was excellent for a live concert, excepting some of the opening themes ( I remember the guitar sound in Florentine Pogen rather disgusting with twin hard guitar noise.)

The great surprise was for me it was Napoleon Murphy Brock. What a voice ¡ What a swinging ¡ What a dancer ¡.
He has stage presence.

He was the best of the night without doubt even above Steve Vai who is an alien guitarist. I saw DZ somehow shy in front of SV but maybe his character is that, a quiet one.

I cannot remember if City of Tiny Lights were performed or not. Anyone

I liked very much Inca Roads, ( DZ said it is one of the his favorites). Good keyboards & marimba/percussion players.

King Kong was performed as the ´88 reagee version. (DZ said he would try to confused with his hands to the rest of the band when playing).I liked it too. It is not the same as FZ ( where is the whole brass section?) but it was successful. I remember some notes of Pink Panther theme that were played.

Montana ( or… going to Milano, soon) helps to DZ & SV to match themselves as heavy guitar players.

I already had news that Terry Bozzio wouldn´t be on stage.
But Joe Travers played as drummers should do, tight but loose ( I don´t know if he could hear my clap pattern on The Black Page but I was the only one who follow thru all theme. A very good drummer.

I really enjoyed the show from Pygmy Twylyte to the end. I was a unstoppable train who coming to an final ecstasy.

From the starting encore audience become in a crowd in front the stage, ( previously audience were seated in front of the stage & between the empty space of queues sometimes somebody were riding like a horse, other dancing or a couple of drunks holding unable to stand until security guards went for them , really a funny scenes which had provoked a good vibrations for FZ himself).

*How is possible to keep composure listening this music I asked myself.

It was also curious the band was doubting to finish the show in previous songs, but audience whistles & shouts do not let them go out very far from stage. They went & come for three times. Lots of ovations.

As anecdote. When I was under stage on the fence, SV saw shouting me singing More Trouble Every Day chorus & he began to singing too with furor.

Final spotlight on DZ´s face thanking to FZ´s music.

SET LIST: (By heart)

Help I’m a Rock
Hungry Freaks Daddy
Let’s Make the Water turn Black
Florentine Pogen
Pygmy Twylyte
The Idiot Bastard Son
Cheepnis
King Kong (incl. Some theme´s notes –i.e. : Sinester Footwear & H. Mancini´s Pink Panther)
Don’t Eat the Yellow Snow
St. Alphonzo's Pancake Breakfast
Inca Roads
City of Tiny Lights ( I cannot remember if was played)
The Black Page #1
The Black Page #2 ( Drum solo)
Peaches En Regalia
Montana ( DZ & S.Vai guitar dueling).
Village of the Sun
Echidna’s Arf
Zomby Woof
Sofa #2

Encores:
Oh no
Son of Orange County
Camarillo Brillo
More Trouble Every Day
A Token of My Extreme
Cosmic Debris

At least I saw two video cameras recording this concert that lasted 2hr.40 min. without intermission.

Audience estimation : 2500 people.

Photo cameras were allowed.

Regarding merchandising I missed last CD releases such as “ Imaginary Diseasesâ€

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 8:17 pm 

Hy. Finally I'm a zappa member. I wrote something on Vai forum (about DZ concert in Milan) but now I'll write here, so, when i can, when i want and when i've something to say you will hear something from me. OK?
I was in Milan on 27th of may with other three guys, it was for me the last special night till now. He was great and all the band too. I bought a FZ t-shirt and I haven't wash it from that special day. I'm FZ fan from about ten years, but i unfortunately never see him. I play (no school) guitar, bass, drum and others, i've a little studio in my house (70's studio) where i record all my fuckin music.
Actually i'm working, i'm from Cattolica (tourist place) in Italy, and i absolutely need to play and record something, but i've to wait that summer season finished (september) so i'll have more time. I'm planning to make a new CD of mine (it will be the sixth).
Who wants to change news about music, FZ or something, write me. NO STRONZATE.
See next time

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 9:01 pm 

Ciao. Scrivo in italiano che mi trovo meglio.

Frank per me è il migliore e la sua musica, fantastica. Non ho mai sentito nulla di simile a quello che è riuscito a fare lui. Potrei dire tante cose, se ne sono già dette e se ne diranno tante. Qui voglio solo accennare al fatto che il solo sentire una delle tante sue composizioni, mi porta con la mente, ed a volte con il corpo, nei posti stessi in cui sono state pensate e create le sue opere, alle relazioni instaurate con i vari musicista che lo hanno accompagnato ecc ecc...
Quindi, per concludere questo piccolo pensiero, l'aver visto il figlio del grande genio della musica, è stato per me sensazionale e non sarà dimenticato presto, anzi spero proprio che l'anno prossimo o in un futuro non troppo lontano, possa godere di nuovo delle sensazioni che mi sono state concesse!!!!!!!!

CIAO

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 7:55 pm 

Cazzo come si sta bene dopo aver sentito un pò di musica di zappa, in questo caso l'ultimo di dweezil ( che è come sentire frank). Non vedo l'ora che ritorni in italia.