Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Fri Nov 21, 2014 2:42 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Ahmet
PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 6:36 am 

Charva wrote:
Does anybody know yet why Ahmet did not show up?

I've read somewhere (can't find the hyperlink no more) that he had obligations elswhere.

Post subject: ZPZ Amsterdam
PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 9:09 am 

Music is the best, music composed by FZ is the very best.
Many thanx to DZ and the whole band for doing that great job.
I appreciate this delightful mix of awe and pleasure during the performances.
Looking forward to see them again on Sunday.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 10:16 am 

I was there and it was GGRREEAATT!!!!

Couldn't someone have warned me that Steve cut his hair? Since I first saw him ('82) he always had long hair. Only the color varied from light-blue to brown. Anyway it didn't affect his craftsmanship on FLO.

Oh well, the VIP ticket treatment wasn't exactly what I had hoped for, but what the f***. The tour-manager (I think she was named Mary-Jo) earned my everlasting gratitude. Just before it was my turn to talk to the artists (DZ and SV were the only ones present; where were Napi and Terry?) Steve left. I wasn't amused. I brought my copy of the Piano Renditions, already signed by Miike Keneally and wanted Steve to sign it. What a bummer!
Dweezil (whom I talked to for about 60 seconds; very friendly and interested though, but there was just too little time; why don't these promotors plan this properly so that both the fans and the artists get what they want) said he would take care of it for me. When the meet and greet was over Dweezil explained to Mary-Jo (?) why I was still there and she told me she would try to get my CD signed, but that it would take a few minutes to find Steve.
After what seemed to me like about 15 minutes she reappeared; the CD had been signed and he even apologised for the fact that Steve appeared to have kept my pen. I asked her if I could kiss her,but she declined. Maybe I just wasn't her type or it could've been the age difference. Anyway, it was just my way of expressing my gratitude.

The soundcheck was great. Joe and Terry rehearsed The Black Page together. Eat That Question was impressive (it wasn't in the show, Dweezil warned us in advance; the rest of the band improvised wonderfully). The fast interlude of St. Alphonzo was played; I loved all of it.

Then Dweezil asked if there were any requests. About twenty songtitles were hollered but unfortunately it were just those songs they hadn't rehearsed. Then someone asked for Andy, which Dweezil mistook (?) for Mandy, whereupon Joe started singing it . Great performance, Joe!

The show itself. The video was great (ZFT, please release it soon). I can imagine some people thought it took too long; I had mixed feelings. The video was great, but where was the band?

The show. To me it was very emotional. Songs were played that I hadn't seen FZ perform, like Hungry Freaks Daddy. First time I saw the Mothers was in '73, Amsterdam, first show. NMB was there too. What potions does this guy take? He was wonderful (understatement).

Hats off to all the guys and girl in the band. You pulled it off. Frank would have been proud of all of you. I read that someone didn't know Ruth had a beard. I agree

PLEASE COME BACK SOON!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 2:30 pm 

Paul Green was totally wrong. This band would absolutely have passed the audition by Frank himself. What's eating you, Paul?
Of course I would have loved to have seen Tommy Mars, Chad Wackerman, Ruth Underwood, Bobby "fishbone up his throat" Martin, Mike Keneally, Scott Thunes, Ike Willis, Jimmy Carl Black and all the other past band members, but the ones from the 2006 band are great performers. YOU DID A GREAT JOB Dweezil!

The show was great. It brought me to tears (that's allways a good sign). I love you all and hope to see you very soon again with or without special guests. Of course Napoleon was absolutely fabulous, so were Steve and Terry.

I'm sorry Ahmet wasn't there. He missed a memorable evening to say the least.

Next time, Dweezil, it's okay to put in some of your own stuff, like Shampoo Horn. It's all in the family.

Hope to get a chance to talk to the Dweeze a bit longer next time, not just about sharkfin guitar picks.

Love to all (Mary-Jo as well),

Rob

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 6:30 pm 

Marcekki wrote:
For all who were there yesterday... a word on the cd thrower.

These guys had been standing in front of me the first part of the show. Actually they pushed their way through after a song or three without taking into account any other people. They were blowing a lot and we actually saw them use cocaine too. Not once, but a few times. They couldn't be any older than 17 or 18. Besides the weed and cocaine they also drank a lot. We saw some sort of incident coming with these guys. To bad it actually happened.

The band was absolutely amazing and very dedicated to bringing this music alive on stage again. I hope the incident didn't bother them and didn't spoil their fun.

I was just stage left of him -- curly blonde hair, tattoo upper right arm. The sad thing was he did look genuinely crushed that he'd hit Dweezil -- there clearly was no intention in that, he just f*ked up. But yeah, too much blow, too much coke, too much beer, shit happens... What worried me a bit more was when the very very tall guy in front of me started to head back towards him. All I could think was "ALTAMONT, ALTAMONT...." Gawd I'm old.

--b

Post subject: Re: The band was TIGHT!
PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 6:41 pm 

Charva wrote:
zombywoof wrote:
For the guy that threw the cd on the stage (because he couldn't handle the density of the notes?!): May your shit come to live and kiss you!

....in the face!!

I was a few feet away from him. He was a jerk, but he wasn't evil -- stupid, not ill intentioned. I remember a story, probably apocraphyl, about either Zappa or Beefheart, dunno which, getting pissed off with a crowd and yelling into the microphone "Do you guys wanna hear music, or a bunch of screaming assholes?"

And, well, the crowd went "Screaming fucking assholes!!!!!!!!"

so he threw the mike into the crowd and walked off.

So Frank didn't have much patience with idiots, thanks Dweezil for carrying on.

--b

Post subject: Re: 15 May 2006: Amsterdam, Netherlands
PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 6:48 pm 

josvdberg wrote:
what a show...
fabulous musicianship
i enjoyed it tremendously
Here's a tiny clip of Stevie, spanking his guitar:
http://www.euronet.nl/~jwb/vai.mov
the quality is poor, but enough for those who attended i think...

thank you, Dweezil!

DUDE!!! You were right in front of me -- I saw you shoot this and thought "DAMN, he's got a fine snippet of mpeg there." Thanks for sharing!

--b

Post subject: Re: Ahmet
PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 6:54 pm 

jeroenb wrote:
Charva wrote:
Does anybody know yet why Ahmet did not show up?

I've read somewhere (can't find the hyperlink no more) that he had obligations elswhere.

From an interview with Dweezil:

You and Ahmet are very different. Will he still be part of the tour now that it has been re-scheduled?

DZ: I believe he will. He does have some scheduling conflicts since the tour was moved to 2006. He will most likely be performing as a special guest at different locations when he is available.

We definitely are different. I have more of a serious side in terms of the fundamentals of things. I am very interested in how and why stuff works in music, and in any skill-oriented thing. What are the ingredients that make it what it is? Ahmet is very much an entertainer. He has a great energy and stage presence. He has the ability to bring things into focus in a theatrical way on stage and to help people have a good time. In a way we’re both sides of Frank’s personality. With Frank’s music there is a fine balance to be struck. Execution is everything. It needs to have technical grace but with a sense of humor and spontaneity. Frank described it best. He had a saying, “You need to put the eyebrows on it.â€

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 7:16 pm 

Charva wrote:
Hey Jeroen, r u the same as drumstick?

No I'm not, actually I am a penguin most of the time, a try keep away from drumsticks as much as possible.
8)

Cheers,

BTW, did anybody noticed the (')="moustache logo here' emoticon t-shirts that were on sale, I never saw them before.
Too bad this emoticon isn't available on this forum.

I converted the favicon.ico file at root at zappa.com into a gif image you can hack into
any post, thusly:

(that's http://www.brian-fitzgerald.net/images/z-tash.gif as an image tag)

Maybe the forum meister could make a similar file available locally.

;-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 9:37 am 

i have been thinking of how to put all these raving reviews in just one simple line and i think i've come up with the answer :

...THE BEST BAND FRANK NEVER HAD...

Thank you, thank you, thank you !! it was worth the wait !! - bought my
ticket for this show already on 27th June 2005.... :wink:

please come back soon for another tour... because there are still some
songs left unplayed after last monday night !! :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 1:33 pm 

Hey all,

Great show, when I closed my eyes I could almost imagine.... wel allmost. About the cd-thrower, I was standing next to these guys as well. In my view, they weren't that bad. I mean, sure, they pushed their way through the crowd a bit rough, but that's just concert-behaviour. They were both quite tall, so I can imagine some people didn't like them blocking their view. They also smoked a lot of weed, and indeed took something that looked like cocaine, but could have been speed or something else as well. I didn't see them drink anything but water. And as someone stated earlier, they both looked genuinely sorry when the curly haired one hit Dweezil in his attempt to get this cd (which I think contained their music) onstage.
I think it was a band, cause when they left, a third, jewish-looking kinda guy also went with them. I saw them after the show and they said they'd been standing in the back, so they didn't have to miss the concert entirely. I wanted to ask them more about the incident, but they ran off in a hurry shouting they had to make music.... Well, all in all it was some great fun, going to Belgium as well!!

Post subject: Yo mama
PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 5:14 pm 

anybody going to Düsseldorf on sunday?

Sam

Post subject: the ultimate voices for FZmusic
PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 11:48 pm 

I was in Heineken Hall and now I'm following the tour every day through the reviews! Fantastic that people like it that much. Not a surprise. The opening in Amsterdam hit the chord. I had tickets for Brussels but I cannot go on the 30th, so I had to change for Amsterdam. Had some doubts about making the trip, but is was worth it. I've seen the mothers and FZ every time when they were in Belgium since 1974, and also in Holland in 1988. This band is GREAT. Napoleon Murphy Brock and Ike Willis are the ultimate voices for FZmusic, even more important when the voice of the maestro is not there anymore. But I have to say: all my respect for the way Dweezil presents the band. And it probably will be an emotional moment every night when the show goes to an end.

Post subject: zappa plays zappa in stockholm/sweden may 19
PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 12:00 am 

Yes sir, I can only agree with the rest of you. WHAT A SHOW, WHAT A BAND..............The concert here in Stockholm/Sweden on May 19 was on of the best concerts I´ve seen in a long time.
ZAPPA RULES!!!!!!!!!!
rock on Stefan

Post subject: Re: Yo mama
PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 10:55 am 

pastoor wrote:
anybody going to Düsseldorf on sunday?
Sam

I will also attend the DZ(Ü)-shows: DÜsseldorf and ZÜrich as well :D
Arf!Arf!
Elmar

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next