Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 2:12 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: 30 May 2006: Brussels, Belgium
PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 10:15 pm 
Site Admin

Did you see this show at the Forrest National in Brussels?

Post your impressions/photos/reviews here.

Please do not post in this thread if you did not attend this show.

Thanks!

Zappa.com Admin
www.zappa.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 12:59 am 

Awesome once more.

If anyone found a jacket + wallet + celphone please contact me ...rewarddddd

Thanks soo much to Dweezil for giving almost everyone an autograph
Thanks soo much to the guy who gave me the set-list while I was being trampled by all those trying to get an autograph

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 6:40 am 

Again, the band played like a rollin' train, a perfect play.
Everybody in the band plays like a thunderball (passion) and very relaxed.
The band played louder than in 'dweezildorf' but the venue is bigger.

Same songs as previous concerts (no Imaginary Diseases at the first set, Second set: same, Encores: Camarillo Brillo, The Orange County..., More Trouble Every day, A Token Of His Extreme)

Aaron Arntz obiously striked by lightning (his hair)
Scheila Gonzales again with curly hair (remember D-dorf)
Dweezil with a smashed fingernail
Joe Travers, Terry and Billy Hulting: nuclear fission
Nappi: a tower of strength (his voice, his intrumental performance, his presence)
Pete Griffin, Jamie Kime, Dweezil and Steve: The x-men
(Mikey with Favorites Nation shirt and very devoted with his camera.)

A lot of Belgian wafels.
The Idiot Bastard Son: Incl. Heil 'hinkel-sign'. (Probably for the security at the frontstage site)
Nice lights from the Belgian guys of Flash Light. (Thnx for the Z-light)

A very happy and thankfull crowd.
But they forgot to thank Steve for coming, no applaus after Dweezil presented him to the audience (reaction from the Dweez: Ooh nice crowd followed by a grin on his face)

But music was the best,
See ya guys in London at the Royal Dweezil Hall

Last edited by la_biesta on Wed May 31, 2006 7:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 7:05 am 

Third time I saw the show (after Amsterdam & Dweezildorf). The Band is getting bettter and better. It was a bigger venue and it rocked! Especially the Terry Bozzio part.

It wasn't a 3,5 hrs stellar performance they gave in Dweezildorf, but the band did have fun and Steve's gitar solo with Dweezil and his Solo on Zombie Woof were amazing.... well everything was.

Please come back, because I can't stand the thought that this was the last ZPZ show I saw.

Post subject: ZPZ Brussels
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 8:14 am 

Hi everybody!

I was lucky to sit in the first row of seats, just in front of Dweezil!
It was the first time that I heard Frank's music played live... It was a very strong feeling and emotion!
The group seemed to enjoy being there and they gave us a show that I will never forget. I won't describe one track or another, for me it will only remain a great concert full of emotions between the players and the audience...
I should have taken my 4 years old son: he listens to Zappa's records before falling asleep... Maybe next time!

Thank you Mike for giving my ticket to Dweezil for an autograph :D

Cathy, Brussels

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 9:13 am 

Hey

Cathy, I think I was seated next to you (you: cheerful lady, enjoying every note they played. me: younger girl, enjoying every note they played)

Last night was Amazing. It beated every expection I had. Dweezil being very calm and sincere, it was beautiful to see his dedication to his father's music. I wished I could take him with me, haha. All the other musicians really gave the best they had, it was a privilege to see all those talents right in front of me. Nappy still overexcited after all those gigs they did, I think he'll even dance in his coffin.
And now I might sound as a true groupie, but giving a hand to Dweez really was a very touching (..) moment for me.
I took my dad with me, and having seen Frank 5 times, he was quite sceptic before it began. But on the ride back home he couldn't stop talking about how fantastic it all was. He said it was even better then some of Frank's shows (more out-balanced, the music came to his right,..) but I think that was because he was too caught in the moment. :p I'll ask him again tonight..
Anyway, I had a smile on my face during the whole gig and I was stunned to see 4000 people, all being there to hear/see Zappa's music.
The only remark I can make is about the part where Dweezil tried to do the signal-things. Well... it just wasn't Frank.

Congrats and thank you soooo much for bringing Frank Zappa's music back alive!

Post subject: Brussels
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 9:42 am 

Long post, skip if you’re looking for a small summary only
Audience
I was sitting in the very first row just in front of Dweezil. I’m actually the guy who had his birthday yesterday (May 30th) and to whom Dweezil dedicated “Florentine Pogenâ€

Last edited by Kinne on Wed May 31, 2006 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 9:47 am 

Valleygirl wrote:
Cathy, I think I was seated next to you

okay, not possible.

great review Kinne!

Post subject: Re: Brussels
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 10:22 am 

[quote="Kinne"] a huge Zappa fan who was literally “dancingâ€

Post subject: Re: Brussels
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 11:14 am 

[quote="jeejee"][quote="Kinne"] a huge Zappa fan who was literally “dancingâ€

Last edited by Reinbo on Wed May 31, 2006 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Security
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 12:51 pm 

By no means do I want to advocate for the security guys here, but you must know that the guy who was taken outside was completely drunk, and already fell from his chair. He was not on his seat by the way and the security guys knew that. I was happy that he didn't puke all over us and maybe that this also motivated the security guy who was exactly in front of him and who was indeed a bit more nervous than the others.
While there's nothing wrong with having some good time at a concert, I doubt that one needs to be that drunk to enjoy it.
So no: the security guys did not take out a happy fan who wanted to have some good time and dance a bit...they did ban who probably needed some sleep instead of all the booze that was still left in his bag.
The other very motivated fan (the "dancing fool on chair", hey you even saw him from the last row!) also had a beer or two too much, but at least he could behave himself and even the security guys found that he was funny. They only asked him to sit down from time to time... I guess that they only did their job.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 1:09 pm 

Though it had the same set list as in Amsterdam, pretty much the same King Kong, and poor acoustics (bad echo), I enjoyed every second of this show! Dweezil was on a roll, lovable and funny, giving 4 beautiful solos, dancing during Vivien O'Blivion... Steve Vai was at his usual amazing level... Terry was a joy to watch, but unfortunately his vocals were next to inaudible. The guy next to me (French speaking, and I couldn't understand much of what he was saying) was freaking out during the first half, but mysteriously didn't come back after the intermission. After the show, I ducked into the crowd and got yet another Dweezil signature, and even got to ask him when his next album was due! Which will be in 2 weeks!
Thanks Dweezil!
More fun: I saw a guy getting his DRIVER'S LICENSE (one of them large pink ones) signed! Somebody also asked: Why nothing of Joe's Garage? to which Dweezil replied they would have had to learn them all, and there was no time. (chuckle)

As a bonus, my friend ended on the Belgian news, and since I was standing behind him, I got on the news as well! Being in the same 2 minute documentary as DZ is something I could not even dream of happening...

More ducky guitar players on
http://bonny.ploeg.ws

Post subject: London!
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 1:40 pm 

Sounds like the band is hot!

I have been reading all your reviews and I CANNOT WAIT! for the gig in London...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 10:43 pm 

What a great show. I enjoyed it a lot.

Took a while to get into though. I was quite far from the stage, the video intro was too long, and the first numbers were a bit hesitant and tentative. The band warmed up through Florentine Pogen (Pojama People next time please!), but Pygmy Twilite was a touch slow. They got Cheepnis just right, though, and by St Alfonso/Father Oblivion they were well on song. Inca Roads was stunning, I was bowled over by how close to the original they made it sound. The spirit was there. Dweezil's solo was his own, not the OSFA version, but it was beautiful. The keyboard solos sounded awful from where I was sitting though.

Sheik Yerbouti was my second Zappa album and I had a six-month obsession with it, but the trio of pieces that opened the second half* didn't grab me. In fact the whole of the Bozzio section left me slightly underwhelmed. It was all perfectly played, but...I dunno. I think I had unrealistic expectations after the glowing reviews from earlier tour dates, and from the will-he won't-he anxiety on the zappa.com boards about TB's appearances at other shows.

Peaches was the first Zappa music I ever heard - and tonight it sounded just as fresh and exciting as it did then. It was a brilliant rendition. Montana was great, I've not heard anyone make the noises Steve Vai got out of his guitar before, and the duel with Dweezil was a treat.

Village of the Sun and especially Echidna's Arf were two more faultless recreations - just wonderful music - and I was so transported that I fully expected to hear the words "Ladies and Gentlemen, watch Ruth". Alas, not. But does my memory deceive me - the band played the intro to Don't You Ever Wash That Thing, didn't they?

A great Zombie Woof with a mind-altering Vai solo, and then Sofa, a good concert closer but not a favourite of mine (still no Pojama).

By the encore everyone had been reeled in to the enterprise. After some more Vai plectrionics and Bozzio cymbal-stroking, a rousing Trouble Every Day closed the night. Count me in for the next tour.

Personnel:

Dweezil - what kind and gentle soul. I didn't think the California showbiz class could produce such normal and pleasant people. He's so damn nice that his inter-song banter bordered on the banal. I've never seen a rock n' roller with so much meeknis. And a really (really!) super guitarist - held the whole thing together with aplomb. He must be so satisfied with what he's brought off. Wonderful to see him take such time and trouble with the fans afterwards.

Steve Vai - I'd never heard him before. Impossibly good guitar parts. Really extraordinary. No more to say.

Terry Bozzio - 100% commitment to his bits. Utterly distinctive. I won't argue with those who say he's the best drummer around, but I think they mean best of a kind, and I like other kinds marginally more. Joe Travers deserves equal praise for the rest of the set - not a tom or hi-hat out of place.

Napoleon Murphy Brock - energy and stage presence, great musicianship, vocals mostly good but sometimes veered casually into aimless screams. A few too many playful liberties taken with the original lyrics. I know that was a Zappa hallmark, but isn't this all supposed to be a recreation? I can't expect the same tone and inflection on every word, but in some places he didn't aim close and it took the edge off the experience.

Billy Hulting - this man's percussion made the concert. Perfect on every song, especially good on Inca Roads and Peaches.

Bassist - the solos showed us flashes of skill, and I longed for more, but I couldn't hear him clearly for most of the night.

Guitar, keyboards and sax - they must have been good, because they band wouldn't have sounded so great if they weren't, but they didn't stand out for me.

Sound - not the best. Chunks of the performance were muddy, the keyboards sounded bad from my first-half vantage point, the bass was submerged and Bozzio's vocals were inaudible moving to barely audible.

Venue:

Poor acoustics, archaic toilet practices (the old 50-cent bottleneck) but otherwise OK. Moved down to the front for the encore.

* The first half was spoilt by two Dutch guys sitting next to me - they arrived 20 mins late and talked incessantly during the show. They paid the band virtually no attention, and when they weren't chatting they just gawped at the rest of the audience. I bit my tongue until Inca Roads, but there was no way they were going to spoil my favourite Zappa solo. Sure enough, two seconds into the guitar and they're chuckling again. So I ask them to shut up and they look like two schoolkids caught chewing gum in class. At the intermission I told them I reckoned they'd wasted their money because they didn't seem interested in the music. It turns out they had already seen the concert in Amsterdam and had come for a second helping! I told them they were spoiling my one and only viewing. I went and stood behind the stall seats for the second half - among the listeners, closer to the stage and with more room for foot-tapping.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 7:58 am 

Bonny wrote:
and even got to ask him when his next album was due! Which will be in 2 weeks!

Zappa on Zappa
05/31/2006

"In addition to the Zappa Plays Zappa tour, Dweezil has a new album of his own music, Go With What You Know, coming out next month. Here is a sneak peak..."

http://www.gibson.com/allaccessfeatures ... on%20Zappa