Hello,
My Zappa Forest National adventures (in french) are here :
http://naindien.com/musique/zappaplays.htm

The Nain Dien of the Group

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 4:53 pm 

unicapb wrote:
Bonny wrote:
and even got to ask him when his next album was due! Which will be in 2 weeks!

Zappa on Zappa
05/31/2006

"In addition to the Zappa Plays Zappa tour, Dweezil has a new album of his own music, Go With What You Know, coming out next month. Here is a sneak peak..."

http://www.gibson.com/allaccessfeatures ... on%20Zappa

Yeah... some cool stuff on there! Fightey Bitey has some cool acrobatics... Rhythmatist is beautiful!
It sounds very richly orchestrated with marimba and stuff... but maybe I need better headphones.

More ducky guitar players on
http://bonny.ploeg.ws

Post subject: Hope that band got my tape
PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 9:43 am 

Hi Mikey,
I hope that you did not destroy the tape that You took from me. As I tried to explain to You it´s taken with a non-professional Hi-8 cam, completly for own use and I wanted to send You a copy anyway...but You didn´t like to listen to me and You were very angry (I felt not really the love within the Zappa community;-). O.k. the fact that all your work was stolen in Zürich makes it understandable. If You still have the tape You can use it or give it to Dweezil, please!

We visited Dweezildorf and Brussels and it was always delicious to see band playing with such a professionality and so much fun. The shows brought a very happy feeling to me, which is still remaining vivid.
Since then I didn´t even know the songs except of peaches en regallia, but now I´m really infected and playing my lovely girlfriends old Zappa albums all day long.
I want to thank all the peope, who made the ZPZ events possible. Best wishes for the remaining shows!
Greetings to all the nice people we met after the shows (especially Martin, Danny and Mr. Bossi) and special thanks to Diana who still has to wait for the New York show
Ciao
Olli

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 9:51 am 

I posted my review here:
http://www.zappa.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.p ... 0&start=75
But I'll add it anyway:
Quote:
I've been waiting a long time to write this "review". A lot of thoughts and emotions spooked through my mind after the Belgian show.
But hey, here it is :

First of all, I was really open for the whole concept and I went to the show with great expectations.

A note on the venue/sound:
The sound at Forest National can suck (in Frank's days and nowadays), it really depends on where you are standing or in this case where you were sitting. I know; "Only seats" truly sucks....unless you're sitting at the 2nd row (like myself) The few times the sound lacked to me was when Terry had to sing his first lines. And I must say that Steve's guitarvolume was at some points to low in the mix.
But hey Forest National might not be the best venue for the sound, it still has something magical to me. It's always great to enter this venue.

As I said, I was really open for this tour, because I believe that "now is the time" for it:
* Young people who are really interested in excellent music but are not to familiar with Frank's music should experience Franks music live. Right after Frank's death would have been too soon for many reasons.
* Dweezil is ready for it musically. There's no way to deny the fact that this guy must have really dug into his father's music, he really understands it now and got connected to it, without that he wouldn't been able to do what he does on this tour.
* Dweezil is ready for it on an emotional level; Being able to play his father's compositions, standing on his spot on the stage, being confronted with his father's fans, I think we really shouldn't underestimate this!!!
MUCH respect for the guy and that was the overall vibe at Forest!! But the respect was mutual (you should read Mikey's blogpost on the Belgian show). Dweezil was constantly smiling and nodding. So wonderful to see that happen!
Dweezil brought his fathers music with much respect and kept being himself, he never forced himself to be a fake Frank-clone. Sure he isn't the bandleader like his dad, but so what? He kept it honest and that made it so 'real' to me.

The ZpZ-band
What I experienced that night was a very tight band filled with extraordinary musicians playing some of the most wonderful music.
Mikey, I know that you're one of the busiest guys on this planet but you should put there names on the ZpZ-part of the site!!!
About the special guests? Napi was the only one I never saw live before. But man what an unbelievable talent. He smiled all the time but he made us smile all the time too!!! Terry Bozzio, well as you might know, he's a fucking animal (but that's just a part of the man, you should see him with his soloproject too).
Steve knew his place on this tour. His love & respect towards Frank, Frank's music and Frank's son made him take the role of sideman, bandMEMBER & stuntguitarist. He really enjoyed being on stage (you could see him sing most of the lyrics). About the stuntguitarstuff he did that night. It's the same as for Terry's parts that night, it's just a part of the guy. In a way it's even a bit tricky for Steve to do this. People who discover him for the first time, might think he's just that. If you were lucky enought to attend one of the "Aching Hunger"-shows in Holland, you know he's much more.
The special guests were important to make this tour a fact. They convinced promotors and I guess they convinced some fans to attend the shows.
But I must say, as much as I enjoyed their part, believe me the band on it's own makes the show worthwhile!
So what am I saying? If you don't have tickets yet for one of the shows, get them now because you're in for a treat, no matter who the guests are!

Improvements for the future? Get Ahmet up there! He truly is the other part of Frank's divided soul. Dweezil proved he's more than able to be the skilled and honest musician for the job but Ahmet would be Frank's other part, the crazy super-fun-character. I think he would be a true addition. I think there could be some cool interaction between him & Napi too. Let the fans experience this hilarious talented guy and let Ahmet feel the love of the fans like Dweezil and the whole ZpZ-gang must have felt it in Brussels!!

About some stupid press reviews:
Don't worry. ZpZ is in good company!!! Remember most of those "divine presscreatures" weren't too kind for Frank's music and concerts neither. Some get it, some don't, it's there loss!

Dirk 'CBR1000F'

Post subject: Re: Hope that band got my tape
PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 5:07 pm 
Site Admin

Olli wrote:
Hi Mikey,
I hope that you did not destroy the tape that You took from me. As I tried to explain to You it´s taken with a non-professional Hi-8 cam, completly for own use and I wanted to send You a copy anyway...but You didn´t like to listen to me and You were very angry (I felt not really the love within the Zappa community;-). O.k. the fact that all your work was stolen in Zürich makes it understandable. If You still have the tape You can use it or give it to Dweezil, please!

Professional or not, you had no permission to film the concert. That's why I didn't spend any time listening to your reasons. It was actually the band who pointed you out to me.

Taking your tape had nothing to do with me losing my laptop. And, you did feel some love: If it had been someone else taking your tape, they would have asked you to leave the venue in the middle of the show.

Mikey
Zappa.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 7:30 am 

Hi Mikey,
yes, you're completely right! This had nothing to do with loosing your work and I was very, very naive thinking I could film the concert without permission. When I noticed Jamie pointing at me I knew it was wrong what I'm doing. Sorry for that! Therefore I did not exchange the tape while I saw You coming.
You know, real love is often misunderstood...thanks for let me see the rest of this great concert.
Greetings and a furthermore a successful tour
Olli

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 2:42 pm 

My photos of Brussels have finally been developed! Unfortunately it was hardly worth the wait... So beware! No good photos of any band members!

http://app.photoprintit.de/archiv/ShowSharedAlbum.jsp?invitation=b28e587b66f5e599

Post subject: Dweezil's thing, on Frank
PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 3:09 pm 

Dweezil Roads

Did an alien come from somewhere out there
Just to play in Amsterdam
Was he tall and did he have a moustache
Or was he somewhat different

(He's not one of the pyjama trousers people, now is he?
By the way, my girlfriend thinks his t-shirt is totally wrong!)

Did an alien, did an alien, did an alien
Fly along to Brussels
To play the stars down from the sky
When he smiles and shakes your hand
You'll understand
He's just a lovely guy

:wink:
I'm proud to have witnessed the historical premiere where I paticipated as much as I could (I felt like a teenage groupie). Reading the blog and the reviews I decided to go to Brussels as well. I'm glad I did. It was nice to see the musicians feeling confident to improvise more freely. I sure hope to see this great band again some day, not necessarily playing Frank's music.

Last edited by Louie Louie on Wed Jun 07, 2006 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 7:18 pm 

Brussels on vid:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYwjF2NnBzU

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 3:51 pm 

Amazing we're topping the charts with an audience of approx. 4000 zappaniacs on this tour.

Thnx to the ZFT for putting a nice tourplan together so that many of us could see more shows. (many Dutch and German Zappaniacs at FN-Brussels)

I missed Le Zenith, Paris: stayed to long in London.
And Amsterdam, I was on vacation.

Next time, a new attempt : 5 shows! :wink:

(Dweezildorf: the best show, Brussels: the biggest attendence and stage, London: the best sound)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 8:35 pm 

la_biesta wrote:

Cool! 8) Thanx!

Also thanks (hope you read it) Tim! You sat next to me during ZPZ and translated the words of the French-speaking guy next to me and passed me the Anveld-link.

Anybody have good Brussels pictures?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 2:59 pm 

Dear Mike,
Could you still post the Brussels pictures you were talking about on the ZPZ log? All my photos turned out rotten, unfortunately...

Screen shots from Belgian TV

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 8:13 am 

Hi all,

Here is one of the pictures I took during this superb show!

Hope to see you soon, Dweezil et al !!!
Brecht