Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:51 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: 5 June 2006: Paris, France
PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 9:59 pm 
Site Admin

Did you see this show at Zenith in Paris?

Post your impressions/photos/reviews here.

Please do not post in this thread if you did not attend this show.

Thanks!

Zappa.com Admin
www.zappa.com

Post subject: Paris venue
PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 11:45 pm 

Hi everybody!

I just come back from the Zenith :D
What can I say?
A great show, amazing, awsome!
Started at 8:30 & finished at midnight!!

I can't describe what nice music has been played tonite, but the Frank vibe was here with the bad guys on stage, and also with us in the audience. Terry Bozzio and Stevie Vai were amazing too, and a lot of emotion came in the audience when Frank Zappa himself on the screen played a solo with the band... WOW...

Thanks a lot to the Zappa family and all the people involved in this project!!

Just to say, my first rock concert was Frank Zappa in 1976. I'll never forget it. After that show I've decided to play drums... and that's what i do since then.

Music is the best!

Sincerely,
Drummyonekenobi (YA)

PS: I deeply hope there will be a DVD of that tour....

Last edited by Drummyonekenobi on Tue Jun 06, 2006 12:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: The right place, the right time
PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 12:01 am 

Great, great, great gig in Paris!

Napoleon was real funky, Dweezil was mister cool, the band was playing in the stratosphere (Sheila, your sax solo!!!!), Mister Bozzio was druming mad and Steve Vai must have woke up Jimi Hendrix up in the skies.

FZ music was alive.

No nostalgia, just pure music : jazz, funk, rock, free and inspired.

FZ is the classical music from the 70's along with Magma, Soft Machine, Mahavishnu Orchestra, Headhunters...

You can't do that on stage anymore. Well, with such great musicians you still can do it sometimes.

Thanks to all of you.

Post subject: so good
PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 1:03 am 

I was there too and it was amazing!!!!!
That was crazy to see Napoleon in real.I always loved his voice and his groove on FZ's albums and he is still furious.

What can i say ? Everybody was perfect and i had really good time.

thank you guys!!!!!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 9:21 am 

Fantastic concert full of emotions.

I was very closed to the stage and even closer during the second part where the crowd couldn't resist, stood up and just took over the front. When a video of FZ appeared on the screen, the band was playing the rythm while FZ was playing the solo. After Franck's solo, DZ continued soloing. When he stoped he had little tears in his eyes and so had I.

I've seen many good concerts through my life but this one was the most emotional I've been to.

Thank you all and hope to see you soon in Paris.

Post subject: Zenith, Paris
PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 11:06 am 

Not one for public speaking, Drummyonekenobi (above...) says it splendidly; I heartily agree with all.
Sincere thanks and respect for the musicians (all...), technicians, road crew, admin staff... indeed anyone who made these dates possible (the public too; excellent festive atmosphere..). My kids loved it. Definitely worth the 600 kms round trip.

Have a nice day

Dad3353

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 2:17 pm 

Thanks a lot, people involved in that project.

Had a great time yesterday night.

Come back anytime you can/want.

France loves Frank.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 2:31 pm 

I had also tears in my eyes and I still got them.
It was a great night with great people who delivered very professional stuff.
Thanks Dweezil (and other) for this wonderful slice of life.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 8:44 pm 

About 3 hours & half of real pleasure :D
Never seen a show like that since Frank himself.

Video Intro : Montana (Roxy 1974)
01. Imaginary Diseases
02. Hungry Freaks Daddy
03. Let’s Make the Water turn Black
04. Florentine Pogen
05. Pygmy Twylite
06. The Idiot Bastard Son
07. Cheepnis
08. King Kong Variations
09. Don’t Eat that Yellow Snow
10. St. Alphonzo's Pancake Breakfast
11. Father O'Blivion
12. Inca Roads
13. Eat That Question
Break
14. I’m So Cute (T. Bozzio)
15. Tryin’ To Grow A Chin (T. Bozzio)
16. City of Tiny Lites (T. Bozzio)
17. Punky’s Whips (T. Bozzio)
18. The Black Page (drums) (T. Bozzio)
19. The Black Page # 2 (T. Bozzio S. Vai)
20. Peaches En Regalia (T. Bozzio S. Vai)
21. Montana (S. Vai)
22. Village of the Sun (S. Vai)
23. Echinda’s Arf (S. Vai)
24. Zomby Woof (S. Vai)
25. Chunga’s Revenge (with video )
Encore
26. More Trouble Every Day (T. Bozzio S. Vai)
28. A Token of His Extreme (T. Bozzio S. Vai)
Encore 2
29. Sofa #2 (T. Bozzio S. Vai)

Hope someone taped the show.
Anymore to say but…

MUSIC IS THE BEST

Post subject: Heavy Show in Paris
PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 10:40 pm 

Great show in Paris yesterday, and what a warm audience. Very nice to have Steve and Terry as guests, but the guy who definitely blew me away the most is Napoleon Murphy Brock. Just have in mind that he sang all the lead vocals, played sax and flute for nearly 3 hours. He still has today the same voice and the same warm presence you can "feel" in the Roxy concerts from 1973 !! A lot of my friends came to see him perform live, and they were amazed. I think he did a lot for the show, what a great artist.
My only regret : a certain lack of subtleness and spontaneity - heavy playing from all members of the band but without the little details that make all the magic, and even the supposedly "improvised" parts seemed heavily rehearsed. I hope this will come with the maturity, we'll see on the future tours...

Last edited by Trends on Wed Jun 07, 2006 8:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 8:00 am 

I went there with my two best friends and my girlfriend, only two of us knew about Zappa's music (but my girlfriend and other friend have heard us talk about his music for quite a long time now), we're all 25 years old, and to say the truth, this concert felt like a real breath of fresh air.

For those of us who knew the music already, it was really great, especially since the Roxy period is our favorite, they played everything but 3 songs from that album.

One thing though, we were on the sides, and couldn't see the screen at all. So the Roxy footage was driving us nuts, but at least we could hear it.

Since we're all 25 years old, none of us had ever seen Zappa's music played live, except for a few horn pieces on a George Clinton concert, and it was really good. For the four of us, the best concert yet.

Some of the people who had seen Frank on stage told us that when the band was playing really well had the same feeling of a whole Zappa concert !

All those young musicians are absolutely wonderful and skilled, Terry scared my girlfriend when he broke his drumset, Steve made her go nuts when he played his first crazy solo, Napoleon was amazing, what an awesome voice (too bad he didn't do Room Service with Dweezil), and Dweezil really did an awesome job adapting Frank's music.
It was well worth the one year wait (we had tickets for the 2005 show).

I hope there will be some commercial footage of this concert or the tour, so we can spread the feeling to our generation, if this music can completely satisfy my girlfriend, it can satisfy anyone !

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 9:32 am 

Hey, I think the band was really impressed by the Parisian crowd and the Zenith atmosphere. This is what's written on the Zappa blog :

"I'm out of superlatives for the Paris show. It was the best show of the tour thus far. It's going to be hard to beat the passion, love and wild appreciation the band felt from the fine Parisians who came to the Zenith last night."

Post subject: RE: Heavy Show in Paris
PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 10:10 am 

Wonderful show ! Great musicians, great performers, and great audience !

NAPOLEON! I scream you name!!!
Terry, you are INSANE!
Stevie, are you a Venusian?
Joe, have you had a "voice job"?
(I was absolutley thrilled by your talking, and kick ass drumming)
Scheila, I want your Sax solo again!
and Aaron... and Jamie... and Billy... and Pete...
I could go on and on... and on, but more simply:
ZPZ, YOU ROCK !

Dweezil, Frank can be proud, you did an amazing job !

Having said that, if criticisms have to be made -only to encourage the band to go further, deeper and harder in future shows - I agree with Trends :
Quote:
a certain lack of subtleness and spontaneity
The show was very professionnal, heavy playing, and heavy heavy sound (maybe due to the bad Zenith acoustics (sic) it happened that the subtleness of orchestration could not be well perceived, but then again, live conditions...). I would have enjoyed an little bit more craziness (although we had wonderful crazy dance by Napo) and unexpected...

Well, for those who just read last paragraph, don't get mad or don't get misled: we all yelled and clapped and whistled and screamed in delight and excitment because MUSIC WAS FANTASTIC !

So,
THANK YOU
THANK YOU
THANK YOU and....
THANK YOU!

Come to France again, anytime (please do), and all the best for your last european show and the US Finale (how I would love to be in NY or SF...*sigh*)

PS: thanks to smallwazoo for posting the setlist !

Post subject: Webblog by Mikey
PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 2:16 pm 

Dear Mikey,

I just want to thank you for your texts and the whole blog. It is really nice to read your stories. Especially the last one, 4 cities, 3 shows, lots to say, lost for words... was very moving and visual for me.

In 1988 I was at the Zenith to see FZ and it was great!!! Unfortuantely I missed ZpZ in Paris (this time!), but through the blog and the reviews here I (and everybody else) can feel a bit of the atmosphere.

I am from Cologne/ Germany, which is next to Dweezildorf and of course I`ve been there and of course its been great as well. I really really hope, that the show will continue sometimes in the future and that Dweezil and the others will play this fine music again.

All the best from Cologne,

Ruediger

Post subject: pure happiness
PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 8:31 pm 

33 years old, 17 years that I've been loving Frank's music, and today, after your concert in Paris I have the feeling that I know now what Frank's music used to be during his concerts. I have the feeling that the music I heard on monday night was the music which could be heard during his concerts. Your concert was amazing, fantastic, pure happiness.

I hope that you plan on making a dvd and, most importantly, that you'll come back one day or another, "In France" :)