Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Wed Sep 03, 2014 4:43 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Ma rencontre avec GAIL et DIVA / Metting with GAIL and DIVA
PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 9:45 pm 

Je ne m’en remets toujours pas.
Le meilleur concert qui m’a été donné d’assisté.
Les musiciens étaient effarants de justesse et de maturité pour La Meilleure Musique du maître. Comme son œuvre, chaque moment fut particulier et le concert fut globalement époustouflant Quatre heures !
Une émotion immense dés les premières minutes (devrais-je avoué mes larmes ?) mais personnellement de multiple rencontres directes et exceptionnelles.
Durant l’entracte, reprenant mon souffle et mes première émotions (la vidéo fut pour moi un récompense immense, des images et un son jamais dévoilés alors, vivement le DVD ! et que dire du concert, de DWIZZLE, notamment), je pris quelques repos dans la première coursive droite du Zenith, attenantes à l’entrée du BackStage.
Après quelques secondes, alors que je reprenait mon souffle et heureux, je vois arriver dans ma direction GAIL ZAPPA et à ses côtés DIVA ZAPPA !!!!! L’écrire me renverse encore le cœur, ça fait 5 jours !
Vous avez bien lu, GAIL ET DIVA ZAPPA. Je me suis bien sûr précipité vers elles.
Quelle chaleur, quel accueil, face à mes problèmes d’expression ! Gail m’a tout de suite demandé comment je m’appelait, rassurante.DIVA est tout simplement belle et GAIL si maternelle. Quelle rencontre ! Je les ai suivi pendant l’intégralité de l’entracte !! J’ai pu discuté avec Diva, la féliciter pour son livret de concert. Si personnel et si original. Elle me démontra une immense humilité (vous comprendrez plus loin).

Mais la chaleur et la douceur de Gail reste au plus profond de mon cœur.
Elles m’ont donné leur autographe respectif sur mon ticket d’entrée, me serrant la main, le bras, visiblement touchées elles aussi. DIVA m’a même demandé de lui laisser un mot sur son propre exemplaire du livret de concert. Je me rappelle avoir écrit après 2 secondes de réflexion. :
« THANKS FOR ALL YOU DO FOR FRANK’S MUSIC ! LOVE. VINCENTâ€

Post subject: simply amazing
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 10:40 pm 

Is there anything to say except that this show were the best show (and my unique chance to see live material of frank zappa) of my life?
nothing
everything was perfect!!!!!!!!!!!!
i have bootleged this show,but you're not gonna see that on the internet,i'm not gonna put that on the net,(i have owned every album of frank zappa,this bootleg is a tour souvenir for me,not something that you give for money);shake your ass to "zappa plays zappa",it's your last chance to see something else than "easy listened" music,make your head works!

Rémy Triaire

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 6:26 pm 

A more complete setlist, sorry for the oblivions of the first one.

Le Zénith
Paris
5 June 2006

Video Intro : Montana + Dupree's Paradise ("Roxy" Los Angeles 1974)
01 - Imaginary Diseases
02 - Hungry Freaks Daddy
03 - Let’s Make the Water turn Black
04 - Florentine Pogen
05 - Pygmy Twylite
06 - The Idiot Bastard Son
07 - Cheepnis
08 - King Kong Variations
09 - Don’t Eat that Yellow Snow
10 - St. Alphonzo's Pancake Breakfast
11 - Father O'Blivion
12 - Inca Roads
13 - Eat That Question
Break
14 - I’m So Cute (T. Bozzio)
15 - Tryin’ To Grow A Chin (T. Bozzio)
16 - City of Tiny Lites (T. Bozzio)
17 - Punky’s Whips (T. Bozzio)
18 - The Black Page (drums) (T. Bozzio)
19 - The Black Page # 2 (T. Bozzio S. Vai)
20 - Peaches En Regalia (T. Bozzio S. Vai)
21 - Montana (S. Vai)
22 - Village of the Sun (S. Vai)
23 - Echinda’s Arf (S. Vai)
24 - Zomby Woof (S. Vai)
25 - Chunga’s Revenge (with video from "Palladium" New York 1981)
Encore
26 - Camarillo Brillo (T. Bozzio S. Vai)
27 - The Orange County Lumber Truck (T. Bozzio S. Vai)
28 - More Trouble Every Day (T. Bozzio S. Vai)
29 - A Token of His Extreme (T. Bozzio S. Vai)
Encore 2
30 - Sofa #1 (T. Bozzio S. Vai)

Line-up:
Dweezil Zappa - Stereo Gibson
Napoleon Murphy Brock - Flute, Alto Saxophone and Vocal
Pete Griffin - Bass
Jamie Kime - Guitar
Joe Travers - Drums
Aaron Arntz - Keyboards
Sheila Gonzales - Keyboards, Sax and Vocal
Billy Hulting - Percussion and Marimba

Special guests:
Steve Vai - Guitar
Terry Bozzio - Drums

Hope you'll appreciate.

MUSIC IS THE BEST :D

Post subject: Un grand moment dans ma vie!!!
PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 3:35 pm 

:D I don t speak english, sorry but i m french, nobody s perfect!

Oui un tres grand moment que ce show exceptionnel, j ai 37 ans je connais la musique de Monsieur ZAPPA depuis une bonne quinzaine d annees mais je n ai pas eu la chance de le voir sur scene.

Mais la pour le coup j ai ete comble par son fils et les musiciens fabuleux qui l accompagnaient, imcomparables.

Je n oublierais jamais le GRAND NAPOLEON (pas le notre!! le leur!) une grande leçon qu il nous a donne a tous, un exemple à suivre.

IL FAUT REVENIR LES GARS....Prenez votre temps MAIS REVENEZ.

Encore un grand MERCI et bon vent à vous.

Le Root Art.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 5:41 pm 

The band already know that they've been welcomed in Paris and that we appriciated the show a lot (if they don't, they must be deaf :wink: ).

I got more than expected and I am now expecting more :D

I am amazed by the hard work that was done, and if DZ can work that hard, It opens promising future.

I was also very happy and touched when DZ played along with his father (Chunga's), that was a great moment to share (a young boy's dream coming true).
We made a lot of noise in Paris, but just after Chunga's, I couldn't make a sound.

The whole band kicked ass and Steve Vai, Terry Bozio and Napoleon Murphy Brock had lost nothing of their talent.
A special mention to NMB : the show is long, the tour was long, at 60, hats down, yes, hats down.

So I'm looking forward for a (even better) ZPZ 2007 (George Duke hasn't been in europe for a while no ? :wink: )
Of course, I want more of Frank's music but I'd like to hear some of DZ own music as well.
Ok, not necesseraly 2007, but please, DO IT AGAIN, COME BACK !!!

Many, many, many, many thanks to the whole band, and whoever made that tour de Frank a reality.

ps: I came along with my 12 years old daughter, she enjoyed it a lot.
My other two kids are too young (4 and 8 ) but they always ask for a second time when "Peaches" or "Let's make the water turn black" is on the air.

Post subject: Dweezil concert in Paris 5 june
PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 7:54 pm 

At the beginning, a fear, for at least two reasons: first of all because, after having seen all the Parisian concerts of FZ from 1976 to 1988, the risk seemed to me real to be disappointed by another of these "cover bands" which have existed for a few years and which try to imitate FZ without spirit. In addition, because I did not go alone to this concert but with my 21 years elder daughter (and her buddy, itself "lead guitar player") which had hear me speak about FZ, know the place which takes its CD and LP at home and because I wished that they discover the "good side of FZ". In fact, my daughter had already known at least a "live" approach of FZ while having assisted, in October 1984 (concert of Bercy) to a concert of Franck, but at this time, she was still in the belly of her mother.

Therefore, at the beginning feared to be disappointed. While arriving on the venue, crowd with the age group 20-30 not too badly represented. Placement by usherette on numbered seats (odd for a rock’n roll concert)... and first rows which do not seem too not furnished. Impression mitigated of pre-concert because, in fact, I assisted during the four hours which lasted this concert at a very great time of rock'n'roll music, as we can see only some per decade. From the first video one to the last encore, it was properly brilliant. It would take too a long time to describe by details each one of these great moments, but without exhaustivity, I want to quote some one of these mythics moments:

- the concert starts by a video of 30 mn (one of the concerts of Roxy 1973) with Montana, follow-up of Dupree's paradise). Nothing to say nor to add. Ruth Underwood at the top of its art, Napoleon Murphy Brock already bright, George Duke and Chester Thompson perfectly in place. One of the merits of these extracts is that it allows those who cannot see FZ on stage to understand what a real "direction of orchestra" in an rock'n'roll environment can bring when the musicians are very high sizes. Only one regret: this video assure us the insistent noise which ran: the video bands (and the quality of the sound) are with go, therefore when the ZFT decide will to market them? there is the matter for a super DVD.

- the arrival of the group which, extremely judiciously, attacks by a "Imaginary diseases" (a kind of "last new song" to date) high power with horns of Napoleon and Sheila but with a metal sound also very present.;

- the improvisations on King-kong with the "gesture’s direction" of DZ. One could on this occasion feel to spend one moment even the humour in the concerts of FZ. For our pleasure (cf the setlist above) a first part very targeted on the concerts of the 70' S with a strong part of the Roxy album. A 20 mn break and …the return ofTerry Bozzio;

- as of the recovery, one feels that one changes gear. Terry Bozzio attacks a "I' m so cute" hallucinated; it is on the right of the scene close to the first rank, in a light white and metal, it sings just, striking like ten punks and I will not arrive, in the evening to later convince "my" young people than it is 57 years! and it is not that a beginning... “Tryin' to grow a chinâ€

Post subject: Paris Zenith
PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 9:05 pm 

:D :D

Paris loves Zappa's music and charisma, the best critical minds will always find room here along with W. S. Burroughs and Wilde ...
Show started on time with a film, this was nice in that things started on time (rare in "rock" world) and if you have a kind of passion for the '74 line up (With Duke & Mrs Underwood) then fine ... But if you could not see the film (side of stage) then ....
Many songs were just perfect, The Idiot Bastard son or Peaches ... I was not alone in having tears close to my glasses. If you like or love Zappa's music then you want more n better ...
There was too much from the sheick yer period, nothing from Joe's garage, Ok the band had only one real vocalist (amazing NMB !!!) but Watermelon in easter hay does not need a vocalist ....

Best thing I have seen in years, please find a way of releasing the Paris concert, and please ask the Zappa family trust to release the Wild man Fisher tapes along with FZ tapes of Lenny Bruce and FZ reading selections of Naked Lunch.

Thanks again for a great show, Paris loves you more than Bush ever will !!!!

David F Allen

Post subject: Re: Paris Zenith
PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 3:10 pm 

David F. Allen Ph D wrote:
:D :D

Paris loves Zappa's music and charisma, the best critical minds will always find room here along with W. S. Burroughs and Wilde ...
Show started on time with a film, this was nice in that things started on time (rare in "rock" world) and if you have a kind of passion for the '74 line up (With Duke & Mrs Underwood) then fine ... But if you could not see the film (side of stage) then ....
Many songs were just perfect, The Idiot Bastard son or Peaches ... I was not alone in having tears close to my glasses. If you like or love Zappa's music then you want more n better ...
There was too much from the sheick yer period, nothing from Joe's garage, Ok the band had only one real vocalist (amazing NMB !!!) but Watermelon in easter hay does not need a vocalist ....

Best thing I have seen in years, please find a way of releasing the Paris concert, and please ask the Zappa family trust to release the Wild man Fisher tapes along with FZ tapes of Lenny Bruce and FZ reading selections of Naked Lunch.

Thanks again for a great show, Paris loves you more than Bush ever will !!!!

David F Allen