Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sat Jul 26, 2014 5:13 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: 9 June 2006: Reykjavik, Iceland
PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 12:55 pm 
Site Admin

Did you attend this show in Reykjavik?

Post your impressions/photos/reviews here.

Please do not post in this thread if you did not attend this show.

Thanks!

Zappa.com Admin
www.zappa.com

Post subject: The Reykjavík concert - what a night!
PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 2:39 pm 

Hi

When Frank passed away - I felt the world would never be the same again. Well, I was right - but only partly, because I thought his music would never be done justice in a live performance again. I was wrong on that account. What a show.

I saw Frank in concert in London in April '88 and Dweezil joining him in the encore. That was awesome. Seeing Dweezil and Steve Vai duelling in a similar fashion last night brought back great memories.

I took my wife with me (both last night and '88) and last night I took my two sons (28 and 23 - the older one a classical pianist). The older one was reluctant to the last minute and I almost had to force him - but he sure is grateful now. All the people I was accompanied with were thrilled and amazed.

Dweezil is doing a great job. Frank would have been proud. Steve and Terry didn't disapoint me, noone did, but I can't end this without expressing my astonishment as regards Napoleon's performance. The man is amazing. He doesn't look a day older than thirty years ago - and provided the link between Frank's humour and spontaneity and the more serious aspects of Dweezil's musicianship. Besides the man plays and sings like an angel. An essential part of the show.

Dear Dweezil! If you ever read this. Please keep on the great work. This tour has made the future brighter for us Zappa fans. His music can still be played on stage - I am now convinced of that.

Thank you very much - [b]Music is the best![/b]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 8:45 pm 

Amazing!

Dear ZPZ gang.

I attended the concert in Reykjavík and I have to say that now I don't need to see other concerts. This was close to perfection. The music, playing and the performance all together was so good! I have never heard a rock group sing so clear harmony in a concert while playing a bunch of instruments meanwhile.

The main reason I went to see this concert was Steve Vai. I was not dissapointed! But I was stunned by the skills of mr. Bozzio and of mr. Brock. The most surprise was the main man mr. Dweezil Zappa. The guitar skills are very close to mr. Vai and that is probably close to being the best. :)

I once played bass guitar and because I still own my old bass guitar I focused a bit on the bass player. I was amused to see how much he had to bang his head and jump around. There goes a great player! It sounded a bit like he gets payed for every single played note... and they were quite a few during every song. This was not playing walking bass... this was fast track running hurdles bass playing...

The rest of the band was doing great things. I just loved this performance... this was actually more like a circus or theater piece than concert. That is one of the reasons I like this music. Noone had to show off in any strange ways, it seemed that everybody was just being themselves.

I know it was forbidden but I managed to take a snapshot on my camera of Dweezil. I hope it was ok by you Dweezil. Thanks again for spectacular evening!
P.S. Dweezil: I'd like a comment from you on this picture if you have the time.

Post subject: Fantastic show
PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 10:08 pm 

Hello everybody.

I attended the show in Reykjavík last night and I have to say it was the best show I´ve ever seen. I couldn´t wipe the smile off my face all the time and often I had tears in my eyes. It was so fantastic, I was speachless after the concert. Often my friend Sverrir, who introduced me to Frank Zappa´s music, told me how it was to see a Zappa life show. Now I finally understand what he was trying to explain to me. I have seen a lot of concerts but I never ever enjoyed one like the show last night. Thank you very much Dweezil & the rest of the band.
Hope to see you sometime again here in Reykjavík or elsewhere.

Juergen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 12:56 pm 

I was there and it was fantastic!

Too bad you didn't play Bobby Brown, My guitar wants to kill your mama, Joe's Garage and I have been in you. :(

Post subject: ZPZ in RVK
PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 6:29 pm 

This concert was without a doubt the greatest I've ever been to! Pure Brilliance! I actually had tears running down my cheeks on from time to time. Everything was perfect and I thank you so much for including us in your tour! Come back and charge triple for the tickets and I will be there.. ;)

Post subject: The Best Band Ever
PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 9:15 pm 

“Howdy folksâ€

Post subject: The gig of a lifetime
PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 11:19 pm 

Hey guys

How can I put it in words? I think I have to start making up silly words because words can't describe how you made us all feel!!!! I felt completely flunged and my whelm has never been so over! My gob was smacked and my flabber was serverly gasted!
Hell, you guys are superb. Dweezil, you have done an amazing job and your band is just the best. Over on this small island, we are thrilled and enthralled and have been eating muffins for the last 2 days.

Napoleon- You are just the bomb, We loved you shaking your booty. You are just lovely.

Terry- your metallic nipple ornaments just drove us wild!

Steve- you ARE the Zomby Woof!

Dweezil- you ripped my flesh::))

We love you guys, all of you guys, you made our year. You showed your love of the music and got it across to us and we all felt it with you. You reminded us of what has been missing all these years and you showed a new generation what is possible. The Icelandic audience left this show stunned, wanting more and awaiting your return.

You have taken Europe, now go conquer the States.

You're so cute!

Iceland

Post subject: The gig of a lifetime
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 12:18 am 

I arrived in Iceland on the day of the concert full of anticipation, to see a very close friend and to witness history being made, I was not disappointed. The band took the stage, the icelandic audience, people of all ages, had a buzz of excitement, and the beauty began.
I had never seen Dweezil play before, he has developed a fantastic style, very reminiscent of his father, extremely competent and inventive, and certainly showing Stevie's influence. The younger members of the band were astounding in the way they accomplished this 'challenging' music, I cannot fault them or single out any one of them - it wouldn't be fair! They all played perfectly and with an enthusiasm and reverence for the task. Something you just don't see these days.

Napolean sang and played sax with love, force and a little bit of cheekiness, dancing and expressing the songs just as he always did, his energy is irrepressable. The early set brought us such challenging gems as 'Inca Roads', 'Cheepnis', a perfect 'Pigmy Twylite' and the ode to Frank's early home in the 'Village of the sun'. I have been hearing them and singing them in my head ever since.

Naturally, in the land of ice and fire, Nanook was greeted with loud cheers, great work Napolean. And Alphonso was perfect, fast and furious, precise and tight.

Then Dweezil said 'We've development these hand signals...' and a chill went down my spine. I always loved the way Frank would conduct the band to produce a spontaneous collage of music where even the band didn't know what was coming. Dweezil, I cannot thank you enough for reproducing that experience, the band was brilliant, they followed your every move, they produced a beauty and a joy that made one want to laugh and cry at the same time.
But this was just the beginning...

Two other important personalities took the stage, two who have such a history with Frank - Terry Bozzio & Steve Vai - and the brilliance of the band just kept on increasing, as did the humour (which does belong in music). Terry was stunning ( as always ) as he told us how 'cute' he was ;-), how 'dead' he wanted to be, and then, for me, his quintessential Zappa percussive performance with 'City of tiny lights'. Truly magnificent.
I was lucky enough to know that 'Peaches' was going to make an appearance, I couldn't wait. It came upon us like a gift from above, faultless, tight, and with heart.
'Montana' was just what we wanted it to be, musically beguiling, lyrically hilarious, Napolean replacing the word with 'Reykjavik' now and again, the audience responding, we were all sharing this intimate experience with the band, and the band knew it I'm sure. I laughed as Napolean pointed to Stevie whilst singing 'Zomby Woof'. ( He is an alien you know ;-)).

But Steve was about to blow everyone's mind, I remember Dweezil telling us that Steve was going to give us a great solo, and I could see Steve say 'We hope!' to Dweezil. You are so modest Steve, and a very nice guy. I have followed your solo work, from Flexible onward, I saw you play an amazing concert in Oslo on the 'Ultra Zone' tour, but I think you really outdid yourself this night and I thank you for the experience. And to follow that with fantastic work and communication with Dweezil, duelling and then playing together, producing such personal harmony, showing the connection you have both had since Dweeze was a very young child, that was priceless. It all came through to the audience, the love and respect you have for each other, it was a joy to behold.

In conclusion I will repeat what I said to Napolean, I never thought I'd live to see these songs and that music performed again. You were so brave Dweezil and so right to make this happen, and you accomplished everything you set out to do - you gave us and the new generation the best music of the last forty years - you gave it with extreme competence, with love and honour for your father.
I have to look back to the last time I saw Frank in '88 to find a comparable experience. You are 'really good musicians', but more than that you are all lovely people, and maybe that's the most important thing. I look forward to seeing you again someday.

Take care and my best regards to you all,

Ian.
Oslo & England.

P.S. Now there is hope for the music of the future.

P.P.S. Forgive me for using 'beauty' so often, but hell, it is the right word :-)

P.P.P.S. Great early morning out in the Reykjavik bars - Joe, Pete & Steve. Good luck in US.

Post subject: Greatest Day In my life
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 1:35 am 

When I first heard that the zappa plays zappa gig was heading for Iceland I almost passed out of excitement. I knew this was going to be something so amazing that no one could miss out on this.. I have been listening to zappa for quite some time and love everything he has done.. He is my GOD and I dont lie when I say this, But I sure know that many others say the same thing. Im a fan of the younger generation, so I missed out of so many thing´s he did. I mean, I never got the chance of seeing him.
but back to the concerts.. I got to meet steve vai (my personal heroes) :D :D and he signed my guitar and I got a picture of me with him.. Everything I do, I do becouse of him (I mean musically wise), And I told him that I played guitar becous of him. thats true. He made me see the light when it comes to guitar playing. And seeing him that one hour he playd, was the greatest hour of my life..

Dweezil, you are amazing and your father would be proud. and I thank you for everything you have done for me without knowing :) respect

Terry, awsome performance.. never tought I would see you (Really admired you on babe snakes)

steve vai.. What else can I say.. I mean it is alot.. But.. :) I hope to meet you again and then I will give you a single I am making ;) hehe

Napoleon Murphy Brock.. Saw you on so many videos and concerts with zappa himself.. But never I tought I would see you "in person" You where amazing, and the energy one man can give away . .OMG :D

Joe Travers, you shocked me with your amazing drum work. Keep the vault safe for all of us ;)

and the rest.. you are all great and thats the reason you where the chossen ones ;) and you know it :P

greatest day in my life with out a doubt, and I am not only saying it :) it really was.. Thank you thank you thaaank you.... :D

Post subject: Unbelievable!
PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 5:39 pm 

For the last 30 years I have been to many great rock shows, but this one was by far the best! Although I have been a big fan of Frank Zappa for many years and have all of his CDs, I, unfortunately, never saw him play live.

Dweezil and co. certainly do his music great justice in all respects. Zappa Plays Zappa has young players with the assitance of some of Frank Zappa's outstanding sidemen. Their outstanding show reminds us how great Frank Zappa really was. Do not miss this show when it hits your city.

Dweezil you are great!