Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 6:34 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: 11 June 2006: Philadelphia, PA
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 3:16 am 
Site Admin

Did you attend this show at the Tower Theater in Philly?

Post your impressions/photos/reviews here.

Please do not post in this thread if you did not attend this show.

Thanks!

Zappa.com Admin
www.zappa.com

Post subject: Best concert ever
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 4:23 am 

Just got home and all i can say is this was the best live show i have ever seen. Finally seeing dweezil and steve vai live with terry bozzio's 10 minute drum solo.

Post subject: all right
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 5:02 am 

In short, that was one smokin show. Little cramped, but, well worth everything. Few things one could ask for to add on, except maybe to play willie the pimp. Neverthless, it rocked the hell out of the Tower Theater. There were even mints in the bathroom. Can you top that off? I think not. Truly an awe inspiring performance, and the instant Vai came ou the rest of the show was golden. The dual drum kits was most excellent as well. The percussion and horns just rocked so damn well. I've never seen a concert in Philly get so crunk. I'm curious as to why the tour is not coming to the south.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 5:37 am 

Just got home as well, and all I can say is Keep the shows coming.. Excellent representation of Frank's music...Thrilled to see Napoleon, Terry, and Steve on stage with Dweezil . Great set list, very cool experience...for everyone.. esp. Eric. One small quibble though, how come no intro of Napoleon or rest of band? Dweezil mentioned Steve and Terry.. but dont remember hearing the rest. The woman playing tenor (?) Sax and vocals was pnenomenal, as the rest of band. Thank you Dweezil for making yourself available for autographs after show, after 3 hours, ya had to be exhusted. It been too long since Ive seen Frank's music performed Live. My thanks, and hope this becomes an annual event. Waiting on the DVD.

Post subject: Humor
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 5:48 am 

Does humor belong in music? It's been years since I laughed as hard as I did during Zappa Plays Zappa in Philly. Almost landed in the aisle I was sitting next to during Cheepnis. Napoleon's dancing!!! Surreal. Back in the real world, I'm 53 years old and have been to hundreds of concerts in all genres of music during my life. This was the tightest band I have ever heard! This was the most joyous evening of my concertgoing life! This was the best concert I have ever seen and heard. Period. Not hype. The truth! Dweezil has taken his father's genius and brought it into the 21st century. I was thrilled to shake his hand and thank him after the show. My hope is for an orchestral tour in the future. Or does this have no commercial potential? One can only hope. Peace.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 6:29 am 

Wow. And Wow again. Absolutely incredible. I took a friend to the concert with me, and she was a complete Zappa virgin...never heard any of it. She was floored. And so was I. You guys did an amazing job tonight.

Post subject: ZPZ PA
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 10:07 am 

That was the best show in the world. I have never seen anything so great. I have seen Motley Crue, KISS, and Poison in past years. No doubt, this concert Ruled. Zappa is my hero! R.I.P. :( Go Dweezil!!! :D

Post subject: Sweet Show
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 11:45 am 

I woke up this morning still singing along, great show.

Please return!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 12:32 pm 

It was a really good show, I agree. The thing I liked most about it was that Dweezil was very humble about it and it was obvious that he "got" Frank's music like some of us hard core fans get it and he wanted to present what he got to a wider audience and to all of Frank's fans.

The core band was good, but when Terry came out and took over the kit, it was another show. The same can be said of Vai's presense later in the show. I'd say the real highlights were Terry and Vai's performances with the band. Highly notable too was Scheila Gonzales (the chick playing alto, keys, backing vocals and kazoo --really talented and funny!), and Jamie Kime on rhythm guitar, who was seriously underutilized. (His Les Paul sounded great through that Bogner combo, does anyone know which combo that was? The reggae `chink` sound was stupendous!). And although I've never heard Dweezil play or sound better, he just doesn't play the modal jams like Frank did, so some of the meandering started to cloy a bit for my taste, though it didn't cloy as much as him and Vai soloing at the same time (to me two guitars weedling at the same time is one of the worst sounds in the world, give me the sound of a train stopping any day over that). Oddly enough the two weedling solos got the biggest response from the audience. So maybe I'm the oddbal. (Or am I?)

The song choices were great. Before the show I feared Dweez would do all the commercial stuff mostly. But that they did so much from Roxy, One Size Fits All, and stuff like The Black Page (Dude! I got to see Terry do the Black Page last night!!!!), shows that Dweezil did a great job mixing the "hard stuff" with the fun stuff from the early Mothers and from Apostrophe/Overnight Sensation. I was pretty psyched they did a bunch from Sheik Yerbouti too.

Anyway, had a good time. I'm really glad I went. And the swag was good. I got that black page t-shirt with the undecaplets and the green Zomby Woof shirt. w00h00!

P.S. I left at Camarillo Brillo (the first encore piece), did they do much after that? If so what? And did Vai and Terry come back?

Post subject: ahhh.....bliss.....
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 1:59 pm 

I loved the show.....I felt teleported to a place where Brittney Spears DOES NOT have the #1 song...and the world just may be ok... :D

I don't know if it was set up.....focusing on young Eric like that....but it doesn't matter...because it didn't feel that way! and spreading this music to the young creative minds that will make up our future seemed to be Dwee's reason for this project..there really were alot of kids there!!
..so that was really office!!!

My 8 x 10 color glossy of Frank,nestled lovingly amongst my family pictures, really says it all.....

Post subject: Philly
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 2:11 pm 

Wow, Mother, Mary, and Joseph.
This show was good. It is hard for me to find the words to describe it. I have only been involved with Frank’s music for the past 6 or 7 years now but this show was magical. Being a young man and listing to Franks music has always left me with some kind of void and emptiness, like I’ll never hear the real thing. This was as close as I will ever get. Dweezil is definitely his father’s son. He can play almost as well as his father did but lets be real no one, and I mean no one, even if the person is a descendent of Frank, will ever shred or solo like Frank the tank once did. But this was close. I also like the fact that he told the band to refrain from drinking on stage. This is something his father would have done. The highlight for me was the middle of the second set. The Black Page, Peaches, Montana, into Village and Echinda's blew me away. I have toured with bands before but nothing has struck me like that did. Also the fact that Dweezil took the main solo for Montana was sick. I’m glad that Steve didn’t take that. Frank would have been proud, but still would have complained and critiqued Dweezils playing as him being his father. Napoleon brought so much energy but as said before got no recognition during the performance. But such is life. Overall, very satisfied with the performance, Dweezil is definitely on his way to accomplishing his goal of spreading the word of Frank to a new generation. I’m 20 years old and I can say that I will be hooked to Zappa tunes until my demise.

The Band looked like this:
Dweezil Zappa
Steve Vai
Terry Bozzio
Napoleon Murphy Brock
Joe Travers on Drums,
Pete Griffin on Bass,
Aaron Arntz on Keyboards & Vocals,
Scheila Gonzales on Horns, Keyboards & Vocals,
Billy Hulting on Melodic Percussion and
Jamie Kime on Rhythm Guitar.

Venue looked like this:
Tower Theater
Philadelphia, PA
June 11,2006

The show looked like this:
SetI
Imaginary Diseases
Hungry Freaks Daddy
Lets Make the Water Turn Black
Florentine Pogen
Pygmy Twylite
The Idiot Bastard Son
Cheepnis
King Kong
Don’t You Eat the Yellow Snow
St. Alphonzo’s Pancake Breakfast
Inca Roads
Eat that Question

Set II
I’m So Cute**
Trying to Grow a Chin**
City of Tiny Lights**
Punky’s Whips**
The Black Page**
Peaches En Regalia***
Montana***
Village of the sun***
Echinda’s Arf (of you)***
Zomby Wolf***

E: Camarillo Brillo
More trouble
Token of My Extreme (Outro)*

*(with little Eric ((Dolphy?))
**(with Terry Bozzio)
***(with Steve Vai)
(Much thanks to Schweppy for keeping the set lists)

>Some of the set list might be a little off, feel free to correct it. I’m just going off what I heard.

MUSIC IS BEST (no doubt!!)
Oh yeah and it was a REAL poncho (not a Sears poncho)!!

Post subject: Re: 11 June 2006: Philadelphia, PA
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 3:08 pm 

Dweezil's Ripped My Flesh
10 out of 10. This band is tight.

Sound Check between 19:30 and 20:00

-Punky's Whips
-Black Page #2

Show Start 20:32

Set 1
-Imaginary Diseases (Scheila Gonzales, Jamie Kime and Bassist bounce up and down on the downbeats at the beginning of piece.)
-Hungry Freaks
-Let's Make The Water Turn Black
-Florentine Pogen
-Pygmy Twylyte
-The Idiot Bastard Son
-Cheepnis
-King Kong (Medley)
-King Kong Theme with Dweezil Hand Signals to Band
-Filthy Habits
-Theme From Pink Panther
-King Kong (Theme to close medley)
-Don't Eat The Yellow Snow
-Inca Roads
-Eat That Question
Set 1 End 21:50

Set 2 Start 22:00
Dweezil Introduces Terry Bozio ("As he climbs into his Batcave")
-I'm So Cute
-Terry Bozio gives advice to Eric, an eight year old in the audience. This was Eric's very first "Concert". Dweezil said that since this was Eric's first concert, he felt obligated to make it a great show for him. (My Paraphrase). Eric plays an important part at the end of the show at Dweezil's request.
-Tryin To Grow A Chin
-City Of Tiny Lights
-Punky's Whips
(Excellent. Thought I would never again get a chance to see Terry perform this masterpiece.) I heard a Mom and Dad sitting behind me and who brought their teenagers with them for the show sing with the band, "he's a little fond of chiffon and a wrist array-ee-ay-ee-ay". Just fantastic to see there are still a few sane people left in the world.
-Black Page #1 (Excellent)
-Black Page #2 (Excellent) Steve Vai enters stage left. By the way, the world famous Thomas Nordegg was on hand to take care of Steve Vai's guitars.
-Peaches En Regalia
-Montana
-Villiage Of The Sun
-Echidna's Arf (Of You)
-Zomby Woof

Encore
-Camarillo Brillo
-The Orange County Lumber Truck
-More Trouble Every Day - Steve Vai enters stage left wearing a T-Shirt that says, "Who The Fuck Is Ed Meese?".
-A Token Of My Extreme (Instrumental version while Dweezil invites 8 year old Eric up on stage and whispers directions in his ear. Then at Dweezil's que, Eric jumps up and when his feet hit the stage the music stops and the show comes to a close.)

Show end time 23:37

From one of the "2035 Dedicated Ones". Thanks Dweezil and Tour de Frank for continuing to play Frank's music.

Last edited by djackson on Wed Jun 28, 2006 4:21 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 4:25 pm 

Just like everyone else said, amazingly tight show. From the music end, I really can't complain. I was a little dissapointed in the stage performance though. Why was everyone else in the band wearing all black, in the dark, and standing like statues (besides the female sax player, but that seemed obvious given the makeup of the crowd.) And no introductions of the players (besides Vai and Bozzio)? not even for Napoleon?!?! I'm too young to have seen Frank live, but watching old videos or the DVD's, I'm always struck by how a Frank show was a total experience, with the entire band adding to it. To me this band felt like the Dweezil Zappa show with a bunch of hired guns, whereas if I watch a DVD of Frank's show, while he was unquestionably the leader, the whole band seemed to be involved. I also thought this was evident in watching all the Zappa alumni, guys who are all aged 45+ were jumping around and engaging the crowd more than the young guys.

But besides that one sticking point, It was still an amazing show, and I'll still go check it out next year if they come around again.

Post subject: PHI ZAPPA CRAPPA
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 6:43 pm 

AVERAGE AT BEST. I FELT CHEATED SINCE I THOUGHT STEVE WOULD HAVE PLAYED THE WHOLE SHOW. THEY NEVER STATED ON THE WEB SITE THAT HE WOULD ONLY PLAY THE END OF THE SHOW. DWEEZAL ZAPPA IS NOT WORTH $50.00. I WENT WITH AN OPEN MIND KNOWING NOTHINGS LIKE FRANK, BUT ALSO THOUGHT A FULL NIGHT OF STEVE VAI AND TERRY WOULD BE A GREAT TRIBUTE TO FRANKS GUITAR WORK. IT'S NOT DWEEZEL, IT'S WEEZEL ZAPPA

Post subject: Re: PHI ZAPPA CRAPPA
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 9:04 pm 
Site Admin

BOSS wrote:
AVERAGE AT BEST. I FELT CHEATED SINCE I THOUGHT STEVE WOULD HAVE PLAYED THE WHOLE SHOW. THEY NEVER STATED ON THE WEB SITE THAT HE WOULD ONLY PLAY THE END OF THE SHOW. DWEEZAL ZAPPA IS NOT WORTH $50.00. I WENT WITH AN OPEN MIND KNOWING NOTHINGS LIKE FRANK, BUT ALSO THOUGHT A FULL NIGHT OF STEVE VAI AND TERRY WOULD BE A GREAT TRIBUTE TO FRANKS GUITAR WORK. IT'S NOT DWEEZEL, IT'S WEEZEL ZAPPA

While I'm all for people expressing their opinion, you are clearly an idiot.