Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 6:46 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: 11 June 2006: Philadelphia, PA
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 9:09 pm 

djackson wrote:
Dweezil's Ripped My Flesh

Post subject: Fun for all, and Eric
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 9:24 pm 

For those who never had a chance to see Frank in his day, just the thought of last night got me going. The show was a blast, band was full of energy, sounding solid, and enjoying the moment. Yeah, it still wasn't Frank, but Dweezel did a good job and was certainly making an effort to have that Frank vibe during the solos...a lot better then what most were expecting I think.

Loved the sets/flow, the encore, it all fit into place. Very fortunate to have seen this, and really did think about going tonight too...sure set lists will be vastly different. Is this it for the run...after SF....boy the Warfield, thats a place to see a show...only been there for 2 nights in a row of Phish. Any news of continuation of US tour...I think from the response last night, they are stirring the pot, why not go around again....I'm sure 95% of us would go again, right?!

Definitely in my top 25 of shows seen.

ICCULUS

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 9:42 pm 

gotta reply to " Boss".. check yer ticket stub.. I think you'll find it says " Zappa Plays Zappa"..what part of that confused you? Vai is excellent... Bozzio's a great drummer ( not so crazy about his vocals).. but to see the entire group on stage and hear the musical styles through different periods..Average? The show I saw was amazing, and Dweezil's showmanship was excellent .. Make it a yearly event and you got me there. Music( esp. last night) MOST def. last night was THE BEST

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 11:21 pm 

Agreed!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 11:54 pm 

First of all you must know that I am still quite mesmorized by what I saw last night at the Tower theatre. There are few shows I have seen recently where I have been left spellbound. This was one. I remember when I heard that Frank had passed. I was dressed in a suit on my way to a client and heard the news on WMMR that he was gone. I cancelled my (2) remaining appointments that day and immediately returned home sharing phone calls with friends natering with this dreadful news. I spent the rest of the day listening to Frank's music (vinyl only) on the B&O with a bottle of Glenmorangie remembering the Zappa shows we had seen, (5) in all and how obscure his music was to the mainstream. Since that day I have yearned for what inevitably I experienced last night, to experience the music exactly as Frank wrote it LIVE. This was one of the top (5) live concerts I have ever seen. Thanks to you ZAPPA family for protecting the music. Thank you to the players who so emphatically were having fun. Thank you to Dweezil (sp ?) for taking the time and having the vision. After I finish this I am going to see if I can catch another show..............Hmmmmm Las Vegas sounds like fun NO?

Post subject: The torch has passed to a new generation
PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 12:32 am 

Last saw FZ in October 1975 at Hofstra University in NY. The band was Napoleon Murphy Brock and Terry Bozzio along with Roy Estrada and Andre Lewis. What is it in this universe that ties seemingly random past and future events together?

………..Decades pass, Millennium change, children are born and grow………..

One recent spring day the family is visiting our oldest kid at college in Philadelphia. “Dad, this was in the paper yesterdayâ€

Last edited by DadFan1968 on Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 12:40 am 

STELLAR show last night.

thanks for that. :wink:

Post subject: Last night at the Tower
PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:19 am 

This show was awsome. I went to see Zappa several years ago in NYC. Frank was sick with prostate cancer and couldn't make the show. Mike Keneally filled in on guitar. Although Mike is extremely talented, I was very dissapointed to have missed Frank(this was my one and only opportunity).Dweezil was there also along with Bozzio and Vai. I didn't think much of Dweezil at that time, but after seeing him last night, he has vastly improved - GO DWEEZ!. Steve Vai is a master. As good as Dweezil has become, he is so overshadowed by this guy. I can only imagine the envy that Vai had while playing with Frank as Dweezil did with Vai....It was so obvious. Again, not to take anything away from Dweezil - he was very relaxed and always in command. I'm a big Bozzio fan, but Terry was definitely not at his best last night. The sticks were hitting, the sound mix for the drums was unbalanced and what the hell were they thinking setting him up on the right side of the stage! Sorry Bozzio, Joe Travers was the man last night. He was flawless, tight, and extremely fast. Napolean is always a treat - the consumate professional. Kudo's to the rest of the band, especially the girl on the sax. She was pumping so hard during her solo I thought she was gonna pass out. One HUGE DISSAPOINTMENT though - Ike Willis was not present. I know that there is some bad blood between him and the Mrs. But please, Ike became a staple in this band and he should have been there. There is a huge void without the voice of Ike Willis, plain and simple! Aside from that, this show was a must see for any real Zappa fan. I bet little Eric from the front row will never forget this show.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 2:32 am 

Drove in from Steubenville Oh to catch the show at the Tower with my son and it was fantastic! ! ! Thanks to all band. Sheila Gonzales is unbelievable.............Make it a yearly tour.

Post subject: Re: PHI ZAPPA CRAPPA
PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 2:46 am 

[quote
While I'm all for people expressing their opinion, you are clearly an idiot.[/quote]

I sure couldn't be that polite to this moron.

Post subject: Sat Next to BOSS
PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 3:18 am 

:evil: If BOSS was the Russian speaking guy with friend, they truly thought this was a Steve Vai concert. They asked who the opening act for Steve was. It seemed they had never heard of Zappa and they kept talking during the show. Some people are simply knuckleheads :?

While their nutty comments were totally off base, I also agree 100% with thoughts from dkaplowitz. Endless solos are a bit too much for most fans, especially loud, random, screaming, dueling guitars. Shorter tasty solos are completely cool within the context of songs, but 10 minute side tracks in so many places get old and even painful to 40 year old ears. I saw Frank over a dozen times (4 times in two nights in Chicago at the Uptown) and he carefully picked his spots for solos and did not force them.

This is an amazing show and tremendous accomplishment for the band, but I sorely missed some of the most enjoyable, creative, fun songs that seemed to help define Frank's versatility and unique gift for life changing lyrics that stick in your head for eternity. How about reducing some of the solo time and replacing that with a few masterpieces, like:

- Joe's Garage (it was a '54 with mashed up door and a cheasy little amp. it had a sign on the front - said "Fender Champ"...)
- Muffin Man (though he was man. but he was a muffin)
- Titties & Beer (it was the blackest night, there was no moon in sight)
- Anything from Zoot (shake it more than 3 times & you're playing with it)
- You are what you is (who is who? I dont know..... what a rapping end)
- Flakes, Baby Snakes, Carolina Hardcore Ecstaceeey.
- Just to name a few from memory

Oh well, see you all in Chicago at the Auditurium on Saturday with a huge smile, my two brothers and ear plugs for the solos.

Also, where is Ray White or Ike :?: NMB is super amazing beyond great, but he could have used some help on Vocals. He carried the load with loving energy, spirit and pure joy. He's why I've gone to see Project Object so many times :!: :!:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 5:09 am 

GREAT SHOW. We had to fly from West Virginia to get there (2 1/2 hrs.) but even if we'd had to drive all the way from charleston to philly (hours upon hours) it would have been worth it. I'm too young to have been able to see frank, but I still got to see this.

Jersey Guy wrote:
Waiting on the DVD.

Whats this about a DVD? Will it be of the Philly show (that would be great. or at least a cd)?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 7:36 am 

While I’d imagine your entire post was written just to get a response, I’ll reply to the only vaguely coherent thing.

BOSS wrote:
I FELT CHEATED SINCE I THOUGHT STEVE WOULD HAVE PLAYED THE WHOLE SHOW. THEY NEVER STATED ON THE WEB SITE THAT HE WOULD ONLY PLAY THE END OF THE SHOW.

“Neverâ€

Post subject: Re: PHI ZAPPA CRAPPA
PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 8:12 am 

BOSS wrote:
AVERAGE AT BEST. I FELT CHEATED SINCE I THOUGHT STEVE WOULD HAVE PLAYED THE WHOLE SHOW. THEY NEVER STATED ON THE WEB SITE THAT HE WOULD ONLY PLAY THE END OF THE SHOW. DWEEZAL ZAPPA IS NOT WORTH $50.00. I WENT WITH AN OPEN MIND KNOWING NOTHINGS LIKE FRANK, BUT ALSO THOUGHT A FULL NIGHT OF STEVE VAI AND TERRY WOULD BE A GREAT TRIBUTE TO FRANKS GUITAR WORK. IT'S NOT DWEEZEL, IT'S WEEZEL ZAPPA

:?: :!: :?:

Hmmmm.........1st and foremost , I'm not an american, I wasn't at the Philadelphia concert.

I was however at the Manchester venue in England, and have heard copies of 5 of the europeon shows already.

Also I saw Frank over an 11 year period approximately 12 times. That included 1982 18th June when Dweezil came on stage for the encore (he was 12 then).

All of the above to let you know that indeed I am familiar with Frank's work.

I presume that you live near Philadelphia.....one problem solved......You have my sympathies if you feel you have been cheated of $50.00......No doubt being the only person I have seen that has criticised this tour/show of the zPz band you will be asking for a refund, I,m sure Dweezil would be glad to oblige as ALL other correspondence has been nothing but praise for his and the bands ability and understanding of his fathers music.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion , of course, perhaps I suggest you should re-think what youre musical tastes are to suit yourself.

The manner of your writing indeed reminds me/a few hundred of us, of another person we have encountered in the not too distant past.

Steve Vai actually made an open statement on his own site, and no doubt others as well, that he was purposely making the decision to be a band member and addition to the band, and not a main front man...he said...it is not my show and I(steve) am delighted in being involved in performing Frank's music to ,hopefully, an audience that has not had the fortunacy to have seen Frank himself.

We all have our own opinions of ocurse, these are those of an englishmen who has only been listening to Frank since 1969 so what do I know.

So good luck. :!:

Oh yes....and Dweezil....2nd time asking...please hurry up and release the DVD (5.1 of course) ...and the CD....got the money burning a hole in my pocket already.(proof that tapes are cool, but the official release is much more valuable......you should sell at least 100000 ocpies).

Thankyou
thankyou
and thankyou

Post subject: From a Strictly Genteel POV
PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 12:04 pm 

I confess to not being a long term fan of Frank's music. Though I listened to Freak Out in my highschool years, my tastes have gravitated towards traditions with a more acoustic basis -- bluegrass, jazz, and the like. Somewhere along the line I acquired a copy of the Strictly Genteel CD from which I learned to appreciate Frank's music in a manner which is indeed far more genteel than what was presented Sunday evening. Nevertheless, I was awed by the precision with which this band executed the music. When I saw and heard the bass (which I also felt) and the guitar (who was that little guy over on the side anyway) and the xylophone playing the same riff simultaneously and note-on-note, I began to appreciate what was happening musically.

As an olde farte who had too much exposure to low-flying airplanes in the 70's and a careless regard for hearing protection when around tractors, blowers, mowers, chain saws, and other power tools, I have a high frequency hearing loss. I had hoped that a relatively small venue like the Tower would allow a sound mix that did not include overpowered bass and the subsequent need for higher volumes on all the other sound channels. I credit the sound mixer with doing a very good job for in spite of the decibel level, it was still possible to hear the details even if the lyrics were drowned out for me.

Use of lighting was a positive add-on. The spot reflections off D's guitar were annoying the way a shaft of sunlight when driving westward in the evening can sometimes be blinding but even that could not distract from the absolutely tight band that was holding the focus.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next