Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 1:50 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Last night at the Tower
PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 6:28 pm 

Hey Pendis.
I agree..An awesome show.Even worth the 15 dollar parking ticket.No freaking signs..Jerks.
I've had the chance to see Ike and Nappy with Project Object.
If that combo was in Philly with the lineup they had...Whoaa
I noticed the reviews for NYC mentioned a Halloween show at the MSG Theater.Has anyone confirmed this?

pendis wrote:
This show was awsome. I went to see Zappa several years ago in NYC. Frank was sick with prostate cancer and couldn't make the show. Mike Keneally filled in on guitar. Although Mike is extremely talented, I was very dissapointed to have missed Frank(this was my one and only opportunity).Dweezil was there also along with Bozzio and Vai. I didn't think much of Dweezil at that time, but after seeing him last night, he has vastly improved - GO DWEEZ!. Steve Vai is a master. As good as Dweezil has become, he is so overshadowed by this guy. I can only imagine the envy that Vai had while playing with Frank as Dweezil did with Vai....It was so obvious. Again, not to take anything away from Dweezil - he was very relaxed and always in command. I'm a big Bozzio fan, but Terry was definitely not at his best last night. The sticks were hitting, the sound mix for the drums was unbalanced and what the hell were they thinking setting him up on the right side of the stage! Sorry Bozzio, Joe Travers was the man last night. He was flawless, tight, and extremely fast. Napolean is always a treat - the consumate professional. Kudo's to the rest of the band, especially the girl on the sax. She was pumping so hard during her solo I thought she was gonna pass out. One HUGE DISSAPOINTMENT though - Ike Willis was not present. I know that there is some bad blood between him and the Mrs. But please, Ike became a staple in this band and he should have been there. There is a huge void without the voice of Ike Willis, plain and simple! Aside from that, this show was a must see for any real Zappa fan. I bet little Eric from the front row will never forget this show.

Post subject: that parking ticket!!!
PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 11:12 pm 

I'll be eating half that ticket. Better yet, I'll pick up the next bottle of Cab.

Pendis

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 11:50 pm 

WENT TO THE SHOW SUNDAY NIGHT WITH 9 ZAPPA HEAD'S;
TOOK A LIMO FROM READING PA. TO THE TOWER THEATRE.
FROM ONLY READING THE REVIEW'S ABOUT THE SHOW FROM EUROPE;
AND THEN ACTUALLY SEEING THE SHOW WORD'S CAN NOT DESCRIBE WHAT WE WITNESSEAND HOW GREAT THE SHOW WAS.
BEING THAT MOST EVERYONE IN THE LIMO HAD SEEN FRANK AT ONE TIME OR ANOTHER THIS SHOW WAS MIND BLOWING.
AND IF YOU CLOSED YOUR EYE'S YOU'D SWEAR THAT FRANK WAS THERE.
HOPE YOU CONTINUE THIS AND HOPE YOU WILL BE BACK SOON.
THANK YOU DWEEZIL FOR PUTING ON THIS SHOW AND GETTING FRANK'S
MUSIC OUT TO THE PUBLIC.
THANK'S; KLEEN-WEAZEL-NUTZ

AND THE DIRTY BLOOMERZ

Post subject: Re: Last night at the Tower
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 1:21 am 

spom409 wrote:
Even worth the 15 dollar parking ticket.No freaking signs..Jerks.

Haha! I got one too. Yeah, what's with there being no signs in that part of town? Anyway, that reminds me, I have to mail that sucker in.

And to all the bozos using their caps lock keys, would yez knock it the fuck off?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 3:15 am 

I was at the Tower show last sunday 6/11/06. I last saw the Dweeze play with Frank at the Tower back in February of 1988 during Franks 88' tour. Dweezil (mr. excitment) came out to play the guitar sola on "whipping post". I remember how Frank and Ike kept trying to push his son out to the front of the stage to take his sola, he was reluctant to move.

Well, some things have not changed since 1988. Dweezil never really moved from behind his mic last Sunday nor did he ever communicate with the audienece. It was obvious that the Tower was PACKED with FZ fans, making even easier for Dweezil to interact with the fans. But he never even introduced his band, key songs, said thanks, etc... He was fixated on some 8 year old kid named Eric. I am sure Eric has a lot of disposable income to blow $65 bucks on ticket and $25 buck on an FZ tee shirt, buy Franks CDs, DVDs, etc...

The sound at the Tower was bad and the video of FZ did not work. The Tower is a great place to see a show, Dweezil should have taken more time to ensure the sound quality was up to FZ standards. Solos were difficult to hear, and the volume of the entire band never changed.

The highlight for me was truly seeing Vai & Bozzio again. Dweezil should have let them play all night and have his band fill-in around them instead of doing the opposite.

Don't get me wrong, I am an FZ NUT and would never have missed this gig for the world. But everyone should do yourself a favor; next time Napi & Ike, Don Preston, Ed Mann, Denny Walley, Mike Kenaelly, et. al. are around playing with Project Object - GO SEE THEM! They usually play small venues (The world Cafe in Philly), the music is tight, and they sound just as good if not better than Zappa Plays Zappa did on Sunday at the Tower!

One more thing....Anyone Know What Happend To Amhet?????

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 3:24 am 

WOW!!!! Thank you Dweezil and the whole Zappa family for an incredible experience! Having never had a chance to see Zappa, I never thought I would ever have the chance to experience a show like what I just saw. I have seen a very good "tribute" band several times that ofton has members of Zappa's various lineups trying to get a sense of what I missed out on, but MY GOD......this show was just a million levels higher than anything I ever saw or expected. The band was AWESOME and played the music incredibly well, not to mention Napolean Murphy Brock (who really gave the show integrity), Steve Vai, and Terry Bozzio who were all just incredible. But of course, I was completely blown away by Dweezil and the level of talent and work he has put into doing it RIGHT....beside the fact that he is one hell of a damn good guitarist. Word to the wise.....GO SEE THIS SHOW no matter what. Without a doubt, one of the top 5 concerts I have EVER seen....and I have seen a LOT of shows in my 30 years of life!!!!!

Post subject: Eleven Days Ago at the Tower
PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 6:05 pm 

(Side note: first time I've been back at the Tower since Nine Inch Nails in 1994 - shows how music tastes can vary over the years. Adrian Bellew was with NIN at the time though, so I guess it works both ways! :o )

Anyway. What a night - 3+ solid hours of the finest optional entertainment available. So great to be in the presence of other Zappa fanatics. Who knew there are several thousand in the Philly area?? And the band - tight, tight, tight - The Black Page? Eat that Question? Inca Roads? Wow!!

I've seen Project/Object probably a dozen times, and they are fantastic. Ike is a treat to hear each and every show. But hearing Terry up there doing Punky's Whips made my lifelong dream of being in that audience in the "Baby Snakes" video come true... I officially had climbed into the time machine at that point! Vai was fantastic, wailing away it was his time to do so, but playing rythym the rest of the time. Very respectable. Napi can dance and sing like no other - love the moves!!!

Frank would have been proud of everyone though. No one person on that stage tried to steal the spotlight (even though it shone solely on Terry and Steve when they were onstage (?)). So much energy coming from every direction of the stage. I've heard these songs a million times, but I must have laughed out loud 50 times at various lyrics, antics, etc. Good stuff. Other highlights - King Kong (killer jazz guitar solo!), More Trouble Every Day, Zomby Woof.

Dweezil and co, you have done a great service to us all. See you at Halloween and hopefully next year in Philly.

Post subject: Pictures of the show
PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 6:40 am 

I was pretty pleased with the pictures considering i was using a crap camera and was up in the balcony! not too bad! the show was by far the best i've ever seen, exposing me to music that i had imagined unplayable live sans-frank, as i have never experienced live zappa until now. seeing terry bozzio, steve vai, and dweezil, and napoleon was a dream come true, christmas in june. i traveled all the way to upper darby from knoxville tennessee, so i'm one of the die hards. being only 15, i sure shocked some people with my loyalty to my favorite music. long live zappa.

Post subject: Aaah...the Tower
PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 5:53 pm 

I saw FZ there at practically every concert between 1980/1984. Are the floors and carpets still super sticky from spilled Coke?

Post subject: This could have been so much better
PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 6:44 pm 

Excuse me, BOSS, you need to tone down here. First of all, act like an adult. Second of all, that person is NOT an idiot and was absolutely correct on his assessment. This show absolutely sucked. A decent band, but poorpl;y prepared, very half-ass. And Vai and Bozzio play half the show!! Even less on Vai's part! The zZappa site does not advertise this clealry - they give the impression that Vai and Bozzio will be there all night. And let's be frank, that is tjhe only reason a large majority of us went. Dweezil, with all due respect to the bloddlines, hase no business being in a ZAappa band. I would take 6 guitarists vnbefore even considering him. The ZFT, as usual, is doing things the wrong way, are being petty, and as a result are not giving FZ's mmusic the respect it derves. They think they are gaining a new audience, meanwhile they are alienating an old one. Belive me, MANY people agree with me on this, they just may not be as outspoken.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 7:03 pm 

Boss....obviously you didn't pick up on the rather big clue that was advertised for the show. The word guest implys that someone will not be on for the full duration of the event, least where I copme from that's the general meaning !
Next time if in doubt ask someone to explain and maybe you'll not feel so let down.
The band were excellent I thought, how could anyone bitch or whine about the standard of musicianship........must be delusional !

Post subject: Re: This could have been so much better
PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 7:20 am 

colauita68 wrote:
Excuse me, BOSS, you need to tone down here. First of all, act like an adult. Second of all, that person is NOT an idiot and was absolutely correct on his assessment. This show absolutely sucked. A decent band, but poorpl;y prepared, very half-ass. And Vai and Bozzio play half the show!! Even less on Vai's part! The zZappa site does not advertise this clealry - they give the impression that Vai and Bozzio will be there all night. And let's be frank, that is tjhe only reason a large majority of us went. Dweezil, with all due respect to the bloddlines, hase no business being in a ZAappa band. I would take 6 guitarists vnbefore even considering him. The ZFT, as usual, is doing things the wrong way, are being petty, and as a result are not giving FZ's mmusic the respect it derves. They think they are gaining a new audience, meanwhile they are alienating an old one. Belive me, MANY people agree with me on this, they just may not be as outspoken.

I think you're wrong...dead wrong. Why make this event out to be about musicians...it's not. It's about music. FZ's music. And noone can ever make me believe that anyone could do it any better than the peeps DZ has put together. poorly(if that is what you mean) prepared ??? Come on man..
"Many would agree with you" ...I hightly doubt that, and if you're not outspoken enough to type some lines on the internet (using a nick)well, then one has issues man, and I'm almost certain one would not even concider attending a show like this.

Post subject: you are the minority, and that's fine...
PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 4:59 am 

you actually see this band? I did, and I thought they were very, very average as far as how they represented FZ's music, as have dozens of other reviewers in print and at the show. Yes, it is about the music, and anyone who cannot see that is the point is very stupid. It's time for the ZFT to dump their petty games and put a great band together that really represnets FZ's music the best way. Put the egos and bad blood behind and get the best people available. Get the best guitarists available, Vai would be in that group, not Dweezil. I don;t care how much he has improved. Dweez is a great guy and a solid musician, and his intentions with the ZPZ tour are great. But I think it is very hard to argue with my point - that they can do this so much better, get the best muicians available which results in the best representation possible of the music. Now I do agree with the guy above, this "official" bs is real annoying - it would be more official if Dweezil was not playing because it would be a better representation. Let him be the musical director or something, but leading regearsals and playing guitar? No way is he qualified. Not with guys liek Keneally and Belew and Cucurrulo and Walley and of course Vai around. Where is Ed Mann?? Another example, how the hell is this a good representation without Ed Mann?? Exactly, it isn;t. And where are the horns? No Fowlers? No Gardners? And like the guy above said - no Ike Willis?!?! That is absolutely ridiculous. It is impossible to reperesent FZ's music without his voice, since he was on so many tours and albums.

Last edited by colauita68 on Sun Jul 02, 2006 6:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: are you kidding me?
PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 5:03 am 

to the next move character, you must be pretty young. Guest in the '70's usually meant all night. Some times it didn;t, like with Shankar. They need to be clear. People paid this money to see great music, not musicians as you very mistakenly inferred from my comments - it is about getting the best people available to reperesent FZ the best way possible, and hundreds, if not thousands, agree with me that his lineup is not doing that. A buddy in New York from the Garrick days has come up with 3 or 4 bands that blow this one away. You should try it some time. Think of a band with Ike and Napoleon, Colauita or Bozzio, Barrow or Thunes, Belew, Vai, Keneally, Martin, Mars or Wolf, Walt and Bruce Fowler to complement Napi on the horns, Mann. Now that would be a helluva representation of FZ's legacy. Hell I'd quit my job if that tour happened.

Post subject: Great show
PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 10:45 pm 

:shock:

I realy didn't know what to expect going to this show, but I was blown away by this performance. I've read some of the negative reviews on here and I don't get it. I sat in the balcony and the sound was great. As far as the band, they were as tight as a band could be. colauita68 and Boss didn't go to the show very open minded. If you read any of the hype leading up to the show, and you obviously have a computer to do so, you would have seen that the guests were only part of the show. Steve Vai's website clearly stated his role in the show and Dweezil gave many interviews saying they were only part of the show. I don't understand how you can say Dweezil isn't qualified to lead the band. I was with many Zappa fanatics who all agree that this was an awesome show. Sometimes I get the feeling some of these people have a jealousy thing going or something anal like that. If you are a Zappa fan and have the money to go, I strongly recomend seeing this show. As I said, go in with an open mind and enjoy the music. Anyone can see a show and pick apart what they don't like, I suggest next time staying home, but for my money it was well worth it and I can't wait for the Borgata show in October. I've read a ton of reviews and have to say it's about 98% good and 2% bad, so maybe these folks need to take a look in the mirror. Frank is looking down smiling.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next