Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 9:00 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: 12 June 2006: New York, NY
PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:09 am 
Site Admin

Did you attend this show at the Beacon Theater in New York?

Post your impressions/photos/reviews here.

Please do not post in this thread if you did not attend this show.

Thanks!

Zappa.com Admin
www.zappa.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 4:08 am 

First post here coming to you from the W Times Sq.

Great show. Very tight musically. Awkward moment dealing with the 11pm curfew before Oh No, as there was no encore break and confusion onstage with Dweezil and Joe. Dweezil seemed genuinely moved by being in NYC and playing at the Beacon. Nap is the one that makes the deal complete, whether Bozzio or Vai were there or not. My highlights were Inca Roads, Tiny Lights, Punky's Whips, Black Page, Peaches, Oh No.

So glad to see this finally, a great reason to plan a long weekend in NYC, time to go back to rainy West Florida.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 4:16 am 

From the grapevine: "Just in from the show here in NYC.The band will be doing a show at the Theater at MSG on 10-31-06".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 4:48 am 

Wow what a show! The musicianship up there was awesome. Agreed, Dweezil was moved and it was nice to see. Steve Vai, damn there's nobody like him. I really enjoyed seeing Steve and Dweezil going back and forth as well as Joe and Terry, sort of a student teacher thing going on there. Dweezil doing Frank proud on that guitar and what a Great, strong voice Napoleon still has.
I'm looking forward to Halloween at the Garden theater.
MUSIC IS THE BEST.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 7:29 am 

What an unbelievable show! Incredible performances of songs I never thought I'd hear live again. I loved everything -- from "The Idiot Bastard Son" (complete with snot-green spotlights) to the note-perfect "Village of the Sun" and everything in-between. Dweezil really knocked this one out of the park. I was blown away by everything he played, especially the note-for-note accompaniment to the Frank video. And the band was perfect -- especially Terry Bozzio, whose drum solo was amazing.

I used to wonder how there could be a 21st century without live Frank Zappa music. Not only don't I have to wonder, I only have to wait until Oct. 31 for the next one. And of course, tonight's show barely scratched the surface of the Zappa catalogue . . . I still haven't recovered . . .

Post subject: Great concert!!!!
PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 7:39 am 

Just came back from the concert--the band was tight! Dweezil, you are an amazing guitar player and your duos w/Vai were electrifying! Steve Vai is a devil, Napoleon Murphy Brock was a volcano, Terry--a powerhouse, and (Outstanding drummer) Joe Travers said they had to learn the music by ear--hard way, the best way! It looked like they've been playing FZ music for years. All "new" musicians were amazing!

Dweezil, many thanks for putting together this project, Frank is proud of you!!! It was a pleasure and honor talking to you and Gail. If you ever read this, please check www.conduction.us for Butch Morris's conduction stuff we've talked about.

Am listening to Make A Jazz Noise Here cd, am all wired, what a great experience! Very moving! Please come back soon to NYC!

Jurate Kajokaite
jurateka@yahoo.com
workshop@conduction.us
www.conduction.us

Post subject: Zappa Beacon
PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 11:21 am 

:shock: Pretty tight show last night in NYC. Zappa returning to the Beacon was something a lot of us thought we'd never see. VERY enthusiastic audience, and I think it propelled the band on to play hard. As the 11:00 'union cerfew' approached, someone (possibly Gail?) purchased an additional half hour of showtime. Dweezil was a bit caught off guard, and there was momentary confusion as to what was to be played. The end result was, for me, the highlight of the show. 'Oh No' into 'Orange County' into 'Trouble Every Day'. And really well played to boot. I'm sure Frank is very proud. Now on to Halloween at The Theater at Madison Square Garden!!!! Many many thanks to everyone (especially Dweez !) who obviously put in so much hard work to make this happen.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:54 pm 

THat had to be one of the best shows I've seen in the last 10 years!!! thanks to Dweezil, Joe, Steve, NMB, Terry, and all the young-uns for an amazing time.

Post subject: Show Tonight-
PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 4:40 pm 

Hey guys, I'm going to the show in Boston tonight, was there any kind of opener last night? I'm really looking to not have to fight traffic in to hang around through some lame-ass warmup group.
thanks,
nweez

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 4:42 pm 

Yes, the Mothers from the Roxy '73 opened the show (video)!!!!! don't miss it!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 4:45 pm 

Can someone identify the two instrumentals that they performed (the opening tune, and the one that Dweezil did along with the Frank Vid)?

TIA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 6:18 pm 

preachy wrote:
Can someone identify the two instrumentals that they performed (the opening tune, and the one that Dweezil did along with the Frank Vid)?

TIA

I wasnt there, but I have listened to 4 shows from the tour so far, and "followed" it religiously... opening was likely "Imaginary Diseases" and the "Frank vid" tune was Chunga's Revenge

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 6:37 pm 

Thanks!!!

Post subject: BOZZIO
PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 6:51 pm 

I am just getting home from the very best concert that I or Kim have ever been to, Zappa plays Zappa was better then I could have ever hoped for, there was real power and real pro's...I mean the top level kind of stuff.. Napoleon, Bozzio, Vai, Dweezil...the very best..in a way I feel more complete having never seen Frank before his death, however there was real feelings and his son did a great job, I got to see some of my life long heroes and it was all that!

With that said my heart sank when they brought out terry's drum set and where I was sitting, roe e, seat 28, right side of the stage I could not see him!!! I am a drummer and this was like a dream come true to be this close to him, as it turned out it was a nightmare to be 15 feet away from the best drummer on earth and not able to see him, I guess I will just hope to see it all in Oct...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 6:58 pm 

I'll tell you something else (IMHO, of course), this band completely blows away the '84 band.

There are three reasons that I cannot watch "Does Humor Belong in Music", despite being at the show:

1) Bobby Martin - blech
2) Chad Wackerman - Yawn!
3) Scott Tampoonis - just plain stoopid stage behavior.

Those "kids" last night blew me away. And, BTW, I think I'm in love with the female multi-instrumentalist!!! :lol: