Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 7:44 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 6:59 pm 

And, BTW, tix for MSG go on sale tomorrow AM.

Post subject: set list
PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 7:06 pm 

Can anyone post the set list from last night's NY show? I was there but need a reminder - I can't think straight today as my mind was blown to shreds last night! WOW!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 7:12 pm 

Here's the list, but not in precise order. Also, Terry and Steve performed on more songs than I've noted:

Imaginary Diseases
Hungry Freaks Daddy
Florentine Pogan
let's Make the Water Turn Black
Idiot Bastard Son > Cheepnis
King Kong (w/ audience participation)
Pygmy Twylite
Montana
Village of the Sun > Echidna's Arf
Yellow Snow > St. Alphonso's
Inca Roads
Tryin' to Grow a Chin **
City of Tiny Lights **
Punky's Whips **
tha Black Page ***
Zomby Woof ***
Peaches
Chunga's Revenge (w/ Frank on Video, very cool!!!)
Oh, No! > Son of Orange County > More Trouble Every Day

# ** W/ Terry Bozzio
# ***W/ Terry and Steve Vai

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 7:15 pm 

Anyone have more info for the MSG show in Oct??? I wasn't @ the Beacon last night (sold out before I got tickets) and had to settle for Philly. I don't want to miss the MSG show, though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 7:16 pm 

On sale tomorrow 10:00 AM. I assume through Ticketbastard.

Post subject: later material
PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 7:16 pm 

Have any of the shows included material from later than Sheik Yerbouti - last night's ny show was heavily weighted to the mid seventies era stuff. Has the band done anything off Joe's Garage for example or any of the eighties albums?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 7:17 pm 

I haven't heard any other shows, but I kinda assumed that they were working with a limited repertoire.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 8:28 pm 

Wow. An exemplary show of musicianship from Dweezil and the band. My favorite solo was the vibe lead from the percussionist.

Dweezil was great. He maintained his groove while blistering with technical precision. Very impressive. There was no need to bring on Vai, Dweezil was that good. No knock on Stevie, the man is a guitar giant. Their guitar dual was smokin' hot. Dweezil is just an upper-echelon guitarist that holds his own and then some.

As far as the overall show goes, N.M. Brock held it all together for me. Everyone in the band was great, but NMB sold it as the real Frank deal. Bozzio smoked, and took the show right over the top before Vai even showed up. Vai was also great.

The crowd was great. Everyone that I bumped into was cool, particularly if you like hanging out with middle-aged, tri-state area men. Steve Vai obviously spotted some groupies stage right, but they must have been the few stand-outs from the small number of women in the building. The keys/sax/percussion/vocals bandmate was the one woman that stood out for me. Very talented. Who the heck is she?

How about that no-smoking policy in NYC? It must be only on cigarettes. I was in the last row balcony and actually caught a contact high.

I have two minor knocks on an otherwise great show. First of all, I could do without the half-hour movie. I get better sound & vision at home. If they would've skipped that movie opener they may have avoided the union strong-arm fiasco at 11PM. And you wonder why Frank was a libertarian. We should have all thrown rotting fruit at the union guy as he openly negotiated with the band rep.

Secondly, a knock on my own brain: The show was just too musically complex for me to take in all at once. It became a bit tedious for me toward the end. Like the base criticism of Mozart from the movie Amadeus, there were just too many notes.

Great stuff.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 8:48 pm 

[quote="Telecastervangelist"]

Steve Vai obviously spotted some groupies stage right,

Dude, that was his mother.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 8:52 pm 

there were just too many notes.

Never bothers me, but I can understand where you're coming from. BTW, know how The Black Page got its name?

When Frank was done writing it, there were so many notes on the page, it was nearly all black!!!

Post subject: 10/31 on sale tomorrow?
PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 9:10 pm 

Where are you seeing that information? Ticketmaster doesn't show it on their website... thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 9:34 pm 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quite a fine musical performance from Dweez et al though it was notably missing the humor and political commentary aspect of Frank's shows

Show started with about 30 minutes of 73 era FZ band shown on video and played at concert volume - very nice to see and hear it that way.

Dweezil was clearly moved to be playing at a site his dad had played so many times before - and took the occasion to announce they'll be coming back for a special Halloween show at the Theater at MSG.

The first set was the core band of unknowns with Dweez on guitar, and Napoleon on Sax, Flute and Vox, doing Frank's 60s to early 70s material. While he never really sounded like his Dad on his guitar solos, Dweezil did manage to be consistently inventive and avoid falling into the sorts of cliches his playing used to exhibit when he sat in with Frank in the 80s. A highlight was King Kong, where Dweez taught the audience to respond to hand signals to interact with the band in the conducted improvisation segment.

Second set started with Bozzio coming out for a bunch of Baby Snakes era material. While he can still play the drums like noone else, he really should wear a shirt (or at least a bra).

Vai coming out for the last half of the second set really shot things up to another level as he played perfect versions of some of Frank's most difficult melodic parts (i.e., the Black Page) and he and Dweez got quite fired up trading licks with one another.

To this point Dweez had been rushing the show, omitting some elements and such, cause he thought he had an 11 pm curfew. At 11 on the nose, he learned they'd got an exemption from the curfew, so the band (with all three guest stars) launched into an unplanned 30 minute rendition or Oh No > Orange County > Trouble Every Day with lots of fine improv. Show closed with an absolutelybeautiful rendition of Sofa, spotlighting Vai.

Another very fun part of the show had FZ appearing on video to play the solo on Chunga's Revenge to the accompaniment of the live band at the Beacon - really worked amazingly well thanks to the musciains on stage remaining rivited on Frank's every note.

It was definitely not the show I was expecting, as I had thought Dweezil would do a lot of "acting like Frank" and skewering of Bush and the religious right, but he didn't do any of that (and didn't sing at all). I don't know if this was the case at al the shows or unique to NYC where they thought they were rushing to meet a curfew for most of the show. With the absence of humor and political commentary, the show was actually way more focused on Frank's intricate compositions than Frank's own shows generally were.

A very high quality musical production - but it would have benefitted IMO from including Ike Willis - who brings a lot of the humorous social commentary aspect of Frank's approach to anything he's involved with -
I bet some of that comes back into the mix for the Halloween show.

Post subject: NY Show
PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 10:10 pm 

My first FZ concert was in 1969 -- since then, I saw all of the Halloween Shows (Palladium, MSG) -- in fact, every time FZ was in NY through 1980 I was probably in the audience. While studying classic composition, I analysed FZ's work and blew my teachers away with Frank's harmonies, polyrhythms and key and meter changes. When FZ died, I mourned and contented myself with the huge musical legacy of CDs and videos he left behind (and thank you, Gail for guarding this stuff so jealously and Joe for organizing it so well).
I went to the Beacon Theatre show with some excitement and some trepidation. I walked out, three hours later, elated. Dweezil has internalized FZ's playing -- it is not mimicry, but an assimilation of style. The band gives me hope for this new generation of musicians who were weaned on simplistic, orgiastic dance music. These folks demand and command respect and awe. NMB, Bozzio and Vai were treats (my only disappointment was that George Duke is in town tonight -- it would have been great to see him trade riffs with Aaron Arnzt as Joe and Terry and Steve and Dweezil did).
Others have commented on set lists and individual pieces -- it will not repeat what was said. Suffice it to say that any self-respecting intelligent music fan must beat a path to their closest ticket broker and get a ticket. Dweezil, I am grateful.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 10:28 pm 

The highlight for me was having the dumb luck to be sitting next to George Duke! As someone pointed out, he's in town for a show with Stanley Clarke tonight, and I had hoped he might sit in. Unfortunately that didn't happen. But he was clearly enjoying the old 73 Roxy video material (maybe seeing it for the first time himself?), and was definitely digging the new band. He stayed for the entire show. I tried to encourage him to sing the high parts during Idiot Bastard Son and Inca Roads...but he only laughed. (He later said he couldn't hit those notes anymore anyway.)

Post subject: June 12th Beacon Theater show
PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 10:48 pm 

I wanted to share with other Zappa fans my observations of the Zappa Plays Zappa Show which I attended at The Beacon in NYC on June 12th. The room appeared to fill up slowly for this obviously sold out (well in advance) show. Perhaps it was the many numerous Frank Zappa fans who had reasons to cheer and chat about old times before the show. A video started things off with vintage performances by the 1973 era band from The Roxy. The songs were Montana and Dupree’s Paradise. The crowd continued to filter in as the band performed it’s opening number. The band featured a super animated Napoleon Murphy Brock on sax, flute and lead vocals and dancing. Although several tunes from the very early MOI days were included (Hungry Freaks Daddy, The Idiot Bastard Son and Let’s Make the Water Turn Black) this band’s sweet spots were clearly in the One Size Fits All, Apostrophe, and Roxy Live Elsewhere songbooks. Backed by an outstanding group of young talent (most notably the multi-instrumentalists in the upper left top of the stage(Sheila Gonzalez on sax, keyboard, flute and vocals) along with (Aaron Arntz on keyboards, trumpet and vocals), the band played flawlessly (Arntz’ almost note-for-note solo George Duke solo was incredible). It was Brock however who carried the beginning of the show with his near perfect renditions of many of that era’s best (Inca Roads, Florentine Pogan, Cheapnis, Village of the Sun). A new concept of signaling the audience for their participation prolonged King Kong, making it just a bit too much. Brock covered St. Alphonso’s Pancake Breakfast just as he did in that 1973-74 band. But, I must tell you that something really changed when “Littleâ€

Last edited by Jimbennati on Fri Jun 16, 2006 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next