Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sun Oct 26, 2014 12:23 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Beacon shpw
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 1:17 am 

Great show - thanks Dweezil, you really did a great job!!!! I was blown away and very impressed. Can't wait until Halloween.....site says the tix go onsale at 9AM tomorrow, but ticketmaster says 10AM...it will be fun!!!!

BTW: opening was "Imaginary Diseases"

:D :D :D

Post subject: WOWIE ZOWIE!!!!!
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 3:16 am 

all I can say is wow.....having never been able to see Frank live (I was 8 years old when he passed away and had no idea how much of an impact that would have on me 13 years later.....) this was undoubtedly the best concert I have ever been to and will be tough to beat (except maybe halloween at msg if I can get some money together quick.....). Having somehow managed fifth row seats (left orch row a) I was in complete bliss for the 3 and a half hours the show lasted (counting the video at the beginning). My favorites from the night were florentine pogen, inca roads, st alphonso into father oblivion, black page, zomby woof....ahh who am I kidding it was all GREAT!!!!!!! EVERY LAST SECOND WAS AMAZING!!!!

I would truly like to express my sincerest gratitude to Dweezil, Napolean Murphy Brock, Steve Vai, Terry Bozzio and all the other amazing musicians and crew that made this wonderful show happen!!! Having the opportunity to shake hands with Frank's own flesh and blood and one of my favorite guitar players was a huge thrill for me......my cheap thrill of the night came right at the intermission when I was jumping up and down almost uncontrollably and as Napolean Murphy Brock was leaving the stage he saw me and pointed at me with a big smile on his face!!! All in all this was the most fun I've ever had in my entire life....the only dissapointment is that its OVER........

http://www.myspace.com/mothersofintention

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 3:24 am 

makeajazznoise wrote:
preachy wrote:
Can someone identify the two instrumentals that they performed (the opening tune, and the one that Dweezil did along with the Frank Vid)?

TIA

I wasnt there, but I have listened to 4 shows from the tour so far, and "followed" it religiously... opening was likely "Imaginary Diseases" and the "Frank vid" tune was Chunga's Revenge

HOW ARE YOU LISTENING TO SHOWS?

Post subject: Re: later material
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 7:55 am 

banjeeboy wrote:
Have any of the shows included material from later than Sheik Yerbouti - last night's ny show was heavily weighted to the mid seventies era stuff. Has the band done anything off Joe's Garage for example or any of the eighties albums?

Hi folks , and delighted american peeps.

In answer to above , 'fraid not....BUT.

Watch out for surprises. Back in lil' old england (my home area) we were at the manchester show, and because of power hiccups, they had to do fills.

What could have ruined the night, ended up being very special. We got the 1st showing of Giant frank and Chungas Revenge.

Oh yeh' and the fills.....1st one up was "flambay"...superb. Next came one of my live favourites "Pound for a Brown".

so keep your ears open, you never know what you might get.

that's all folks. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 1:22 pm 

mpweiss wrote:
makeajazznoise wrote:
preachy wrote:
Can someone identify the two instrumentals that they performed (the opening tune, and the one that Dweezil did along with the Frank Vid)?

TIA

I wasnt there, but I have listened to 4 shows from the tour so far, and "followed" it religiously... opening was likely "Imaginary Diseases" and the "Frank vid" tune was Chunga's Revenge

HOW ARE YOU LISTENING TO SHOWS?

have you not heard of torrents?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 1:55 pm 

Well, maybe he hasn't!!

BTW, the 10/31 show is selling fast!!! Floor seats are already gone.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 6:12 pm 

Prepare to blast me...

Looks like I'm the only one who wasn't totally blown away by the show. Part of it was admitedly the sound in the balcony which was muddy, Dweezil's between song banter was even hard to hear. I think the rest of the issue was that it didn't seem (to me) that the music had 'eyebrows.' It was played very well but it seemed to be lacking something for me. Everyone has their own favorite version of FZ's band and mine happens to be the '88 band and these guys didn't live up to the standard set back then.

I also think Dweezil lacks stage presence. Maybe Ahmet could have been there to MC...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 6:23 pm 

No blasting here. You're entitled to your opinion. I happen to agree with a few of your thoughts. I had 1st row loge, and the vocals were a bit under whelming. I couldn't hear any of Joe's raps.

The Beacon is a great thea., but the upper balcony's sound sucks.

I also agree about Dweez's persona, but that did not, in any way, take away from my experience.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 6:36 pm 

Actually, the sound completely sucked from where I was sitting too - middle of left orchestra. Bass was total mud, high end was painful, and no mids at all, which means much of the vocals, horns and keys could not be discerned whatsoever. Since other people have now mentioned it, I wonder if there's *anyone* who thought that sound was good where they were? Or was the sound just bad everywhere?

Post subject: sound
PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 4:35 am 

i thought the sound was ok....it got muddy at times but i dont think ive ever been to a concert where it didnt get a little hard to hear once in a while.....especially when theres 7 or 8 people on stage playing at the same time and a whole crowd going crazy (and bozzio hits the damn drums so hard..........) while i agree the music wasnt played with "eyebrows" with maybe the exception of NMB, it wasnt really supposed to be a frank zappa concert experience....it was more about the music itself than the way it was presented......maybe next time it'll be a little more loose and theyll do a new set. i would have loved to hear brown shoes dont make it, broken hearts are for assholes, honey dont you want a man like me (and about a thousand more!!!).......but it was still a really great show

http://www.myspace.com/mothersofintention

Last edited by Dancin Fool on Thu Jun 15, 2006 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 1:02 pm 

I thought Aaron Arntz was probably the best of the new kids. He seemed to really grasp the improvisational aspect and he even put the 'eyebrows' on his parts.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 1:48 pm 

He was good, truly, but don't overlook Sheila's contribution.

I think I may start a "Sheila Gonzalez Fan Club" :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 3:07 pm 

I'd join.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 3:08 pm 

k, you can be treasurer. :)

Post subject: zpz 6/12 show beacon theater nyc
PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 5:23 pm 

wow!!!!! thats all i could say immediately after the show. i had the great misfortune of not!!! seeing the man/ the band when he walked the earth. so naturally, i was very excited to see this when it rolled into nyc. i am glad i did. the band was great. Deewz/NMB/ TB/@SV were in fine form. the rest of the band[ who are those guys @gal]. were equal to the task. the music played was from my two fav. era's of fz. early mothers and the early/mid 70's era bands. i am looking foward to the haloween show in oct at the theater at msg.[ happy birthday mr. edison]. also happy anniv. to you and mrs. edison. uncle jeff i tip my hat to you for the tix. i hope you guys add some suprise's to the set list for haloween. will see you there." music is the best" FZ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next