Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:43 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: 13 June 2006: Boston, MA
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 4:14 am 
Site Admin

Did you attend this show at the Orpheum Theater in Boston?

Post your impressions/photos/reviews here.

Please do not post in this thread if you did not attend this show.

Thanks!

Zappa.com Admin
www.zappa.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 11:50 am 

here is the setlist i managed to write down. it may not be entirely correct, especially around black page 1 & 2.

imaginary diseases
hungry freaks daddy
let's make the water turn black
florentine pogen
pygmy twylyght
idiot bastard son
cheepnis
king kong
don't eat the yellow snow
st. alphonzo's pancake breakfast
father o'blivion
inca roads
[enter bozzio] i'm so cute
trying to grow a chin
city of tiny lights
punky's whips
black page #1
[enter vai] black page #2 [exit bozzio]
peaches en regalia
montana
village of the sun
echidna's arf (of you)
zombie woof

encore:
cosmik debris
eat that question
oh no / outro of son of orange county lumber truck
more trouble everyday

the show was simply incredible. please come back to boston in october!
sweet jesus what a show. all hail prince dweezil, soon to be king.

Last edited by whurmhole on Wed Jun 14, 2006 3:25 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject: You're Probably Wondering Why I'm Here
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 11:53 am 

How about Steve Vai playing the guitar with his tongue? Pretty wild huh? The show was great, like one big all out jam session. Wish I brought my camera I was right up front. I think a few of my buds got some cool pics so hopefully they'll post 'em soon. Anyone out there get some audio of the show?

Post subject: More Blah Blah About 6/13 Boston Show
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 1:23 pm 

I'm glad somebody managed to keep a set list of last night's show (BTW it looks pretty accurate). I was too busy enjoying myself to be bothered to keep one. I'm not going to go on and on about how good last night's performance was. I'm sure others will pick up that slack as they very well should. I would rather like to thank you, the audience, for being such a receptive channel. It has been far too long since I remember a show where everyone was into the music, on their feet the whole time with no hassles/bs going on. Maybe it was the combination of hearing Zappa's music performed supurbly live with some beautiful weather (finally!) that set the scene. Whatever the case I'm still feeling pretty damn good about it all.

Post subject: The band
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 1:28 pm 

Never got to see Frank so this was a real treat. I heard two guys talking after the show who were saying to each other that they thought the band was better than what they had seen when they saw Frank.

I must say that aside from superior musicianship, the stamina of this band blew me away. Franks music is challenging enough and they played it for three solid hours with minimal time between songs. So, hats off to the band.

Terry blew me away. I knew he was technically proficient, but the power - wow! Seeing someone so intricately beat the living shit out of the drums was fantastic!

Also, regarding the set list, I can't remember exactly, but I think "Oh, No" was at the beginning of Lumber Truck and I think Question was before Debris. Maybe someone else remembers for sure.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 2:24 pm 

Hot hot hot hot hot hot!!! And the music was great, too! :wink: Is there no AC in the Orpheum? It was a sweatbox, but a great show.

For some reason, I thought Dweezil looked a little unsure of himself. he was kinda looking around at the audience as if to ask, "how am I doing so far?". He seemed a little self-conscious for the first few tunes, but then settled in. NMB was great, Bozzio is still amazingly powerful after all these years, and Stevie Vai is truly a "stunt guitarist". He gets notes out of that guitar I have never heard.

Highlights - Audience participation on King Kong was funny as hell, City of Tiny Lights was rockin', epic guitar duel (Dweezil/SV) on Montana, and Peaches was loud and tight. But for me, Echidna's Arf was the highlight of the night. As I was driving into Boston, I was wondering if they could pull it off without FZ being there onstage and without the studio recording work done on the Roxy album. But they played it completely solid, note for note, live onstage at the Orpheum last night. Amazing playing.

Any hope for a live disc form this tour?

Post subject: Re: The band
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 2:50 pm 

old_fart wrote:
Also, regarding the set list, I can't remember exactly, but I think "Oh, No" was at the beginning of Lumber Truck and I think Question was before Debris. Maybe someone else remembers for sure.

i think you're right about oh no, there may have been a few bars before orange county. but i am sure that they came back out to do "one last song" with cosmik debris, then had a band huddle and decided to do eat that question because i was writing the songs down on post it notes on the fly.

echidna's arf also blew me away. the entire band was on point. i really enjoyed the solos during inca roads, and bozzio's drum solo during more trouble pretty much blew my mind. and dont get me started on steve vai. the man is a friggin genius. i have some pics from the floor but they're a little blurry. i'll post some here later tonight if they are decent.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 3:58 pm 

Finally I can get an accout to work, had to re-register, here is my review:

Ok, here goes, the Orpheum was hot, I mean sticky hot! We got in at about 7:45, got some water and took to our tenth row seats. At exacty 8:00pm the roxy video started, great stuff and after twenty mins or so I almost forgot I was there to see ZpZ, lol. The video ended and the band started up with Imaginary Diseases. The band members were hopping to the beat at the beginning and then settled into the jam, they followed ID with hungry freaks daddy and let's make the water turn black. Napoleon was hillarious during these songs and let us know we were in for a great show. He was jumping and make hand gestures, funny stuff, he is a great showman. After LMTWTB dweezil did his head nodding thing a bit and then told us that our welcome killed the New York audiences welcome . Next came a roaring florentine pogen followed by the pygmy twylyte>idiot bastard son>cheepnis trio that is allways fun. During cheepnis Joe Travers refered to the Orpheum as the Beacon Theatre and then corrected himself, probably forgot where he was for a min there, lol. Next was somthing different from the European shows, probably because of the language barrier, Dweezil taught us some signals and then the band started playing king kong. During the song he incorporated the aud in the song, he had us screaming and using different pitches, it was a nice addition. He also was using his hands to dirrect the band, and I have seen reviews that early in the tour it seemed rehearsed, but I think Dweezil is getting a little more comfortable with it. After king kong we got the yellow snow medley. Dweezil then mentioned that they were going to play one of his favorite songs and asked us if we new what it was, then he said why don't you just say it and the crown in unison was yelling INCA ROADS, INCA ROADS, INCA ROADS, it was one of those moments when you get goose pimples . Great version with many solos. The band didn't take a break and instead brought out Terry Ted for I'm so cute and tryin to grow a chin. These songs goave the show a different feeling. It was good to see, and then they played city of tiny lights followed by a nice punky whips, with the narative by Joe Travers, great jam during this one. Black page started and then Mr. Vai came out with a big smile on his face, he gets so intense while playing, unbelievable to see. They finished the black page which was incredible and showed how tight this band has become. Next up was a beautiful peaches then right into montana with the first of a few guitar duels between Dweezil and Steve. The band went seamlessly into village of the sun and the righ into the highlight of the show for me, echidna's arf (of you). I was amaized at how good they sounded and how tight it was during this complex tune. If this band stays together for the fall tour they are going to be mind blowing. Dweezil then said that the next song was the last of the set because they were running out of time and then said it featured Steve, and boy he wasn't kidding what a solo or solos I should say. They took thier bows and left the stage.
They returned and Dweezil said that because of time they could only do one short song and we got a nice cosmik debris with Terry and Steve. Then after consulting Dweezil says he was hearing that they got some more time and the band talked to see what they could fit in. They played eat that question with a nice solo by Sheila. Then they ended with the orange county lumber truck>more trouble everyday with Terry and Steve returning after a brief rest during eat that question. The show ended with dweezil saying goodbye during a short token of my extreme outro. Dweezil stayed out on stage to shake hands.
I know there was a mention of a secret word and Dweezil mention that they had not gotten to that yet, but he said since they were in boston the word should be "wicked". This was an amaizing show and I can't wait for them to come back in the fall. Thanks to the whole band for and incredible night, I still have a smile on my face
If you have the chance get to a show near you, you won't be disappointed.

Post subject: Re: 13 June 2006: Boston, MA
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 5:01 pm 

admin wrote:
Did you attend this show at the Orpheum Theater in Boston?
The show was wicked awsome. My seats were 5th row so I could see every note played. Well Done.

Post your impressions/photos/reviews here.

Please do not post in this thread if you did not attend this show.

Thanks!

Zappa.com Admin
www.zappa.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 6:04 pm 

Wicked Pissa Awesome
thankyou DZ

Post subject: Orpheum Photos
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 11:32 pm 

I want to up load a few shots I took, can anyone help.

Post subject: Photos test
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 11:47 pm 

Post subject: GReat Show
PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 12:11 am 

sick show! EXTREMELY HOT!

Post subject: I got three killer photos online from the show
PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 12:11 am 

http://www.sperosvideo.com/ZpZ_orpheum.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 12:13 am 

Wow. Amazing show. What a terrific, unparalleled way for the new musicians to launch a career. They should be (and I'm sure are) grateful to Dweezil. I think Sofa#3 is wrong when s/he said DZ seemed unsure and self-conscious. I thought he was fabulously calm and confident. (But even if he were, wouldn't you be a bit nervous if you had FZ to live up to? If you want to see self-conscious, look at some old film of DZ playing with SV way back when!) DZ, what a wonderful tribute to your father's legacy. I'm sure you miss him. Steve Vai was most amazing as was Terry Bozio, a once-in-a-lifetime treat for many of us - true artists in the rarest of form, when body & instruments become one. NPB was lively and animated, the show couldn't go on without him. Too bad we don't get to see Ike Willis. Incredible, phenomenal show. Impressive. Good for you.