Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sat Jul 26, 2014 9:11 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Quite impressive!
PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 12:25 am 

I was at the Orpheum Theater show and was quite impressed with the skill and stamina of the Zappa Plays Zappa ensemble.

I thought the volume was a little loud for a proper theater like the Orpheum. The hall has acoustic capabilities which allow for great audio presentation to all levels and corners of the room without needing to "blast" to the cheap seats way up in the "nosebleed section." I'm not an old fart, but the lyrics were all but impossible to distinguish unless you knew them anyway. I did, but expect that there were a number of "oddients" members who had to struggle with the lyrics but enjoyed the calistenics of the instrumetalist's virtuostic performances. Just my opinion.

The set list is listed in an earlier post here and is correct. I was impressed with the fact that the concert went on for 3 full hours without the 15 minute break which the band often took in earlier gigs on the tour! Of couse the bulk of set list is consistent throughout the tour, so all that practice makes it a little easier for the band - as challenging as the music is.

I've seen Frank and his "Rocking Teenage Combo" several times from '76 through the final tour of '88, and even Frank himself never played (at least not in Boston - perhaps NYC Halloween) for more than 2 hours 15 minutes and perhaps a short imtermission with that. Of course Frank and the boys would often play 2 full shows a night, and that would, of course, be grueling! Refer to "Hands With A Hammer" from Terry Bozzio in the movie Baby Snakes for attestment to that.

One thing I missed, however, which has been reported from previous shows, was a "duet" featuring video of Frank playing either "Peaches" or "Chunga's Revenge" and Dweezil playing along on guitar. I'd bet that when that part of the show happens, there is not a dry eye in the house. The band did play "Peaches", but no video of Frank.

I was also impressed that the show got on at posted start time (8:00) right on the button, starting with the long-salivating-after thirty minute teaser of Roxy video. The band started off immediately after with "Imaginary Diseases" and soared right through the hot night at the Orpheum. They played tight. They played right. Reety Awrighty! Special nod to Steve Vai for playing those hot licks (literally playing guitar with his tongue) during one of his blistering "impossible" guitar solos. It sure was hot at the Orpheum Theater. Steve Vai, Terry "Ted" - That Cute Little Drummer - Bozzio and the whole rocking teenage combo just made it hotter! Good God, Breath on Fire! Don't fuck too hot of gals or you'll start a forest fire!

Dweezil and the band literally needed to get into a huddle to plan the encore selection of "Eat That Question". They played a beautiful version, closer to the Grand Wazoo album version in length. Frank's version on Make A Jazz Noise Here is a whopping minute-fifty-five and truly lacking. Thank you, Dweez, for playing it proper!

Now, a comment on the audience: if any of you who I'll refer to is reading this...
I've never seen so many people frequently leaving and returning to their seats at a concert - and especially at a concert of Frank Zappa music. It was hot in the theater to be sure. The place needs A/C or at least a fan system. Perhaps those folks who kept roaming around were going for more beer or Avian water in the lobby. I found it very distracting and disrespectful to the proceedings. Such behavior wouldn't be expected at the Opera. I know Zappa Plays Zappa isn't exactly OPERA, but Frank's music requires close attention from the listener.

Who gives a fuck anyway?

Last edited by Zolar on Thu Jun 15, 2006 1:22 am, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 12:43 am 

8) Wicked show. Have to agree that "echidna's arf (of you)" was AMAZINGINGLY WICKED and a personal highlight for me. I did not expect to hear my favorite instrumental FZ. Wicked Nice selection of songs, great big band, great guests and last but not least, a wicked great audience. Thanks Dweezil et al, Zappa Family Trust and Boston for a wicked great show. I hope I am in town in October for "The Return of the Wicked Son of......"

number 6

ps: Napolean - you kicked butt!!!!!!

pss: RELEASE THE ROXY DVDs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

psss: wicked

Post subject: Unbelieveable!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 1:06 am 

The performance was amazing. Echidna's arf of you was absolutely perfect. The whole show was great alot of songs i didn't hear yet so it was extra good for me. this show was definately worth the money it was 3 hours long. It was an awesome performace of musical power. Its a shame i missed the last to songs i had to leave cuz i had finals the next day. Hope it comes back in october cuz i'll go again.

Post subject: My ears are still ringing
PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 2:34 am 

Well, where am I to begin? This was a spectacular performance in every sense of the word. The musicianship was flawless, the experience unforgettable, the solos ridiculous. It was as though every song i wanted to hear was played to perfection.

I've had Encida's Arf (Of You) stuck in my head all day. In fact, all the songs they played off of Roxy and Elsewhere blew my mind because Napolean sang them originally and he hasn't lost a step. Everything about Inca Roads was perfect too, the vocals and the solos, Deweezil is a hell of a band leader. I nearly had a heart attack when they played Peaches en Regalia, in my opinion the best song ever written.

Steve Vai's solo on Zomby Woof was unreal, he played the guitar as though it was an extention of his body, he did things with it that were insanely brilliant. For me though, the highlight of the show was the City of Tiny Lights solo, when the band sort of cut out and Deweezil walked over to Terry and they jammed together, i've heard stories of Frank doing that with his drummers when the band played that song in the 80's, it gave me chills to see.

Being too young to have seen Frank play, I think last night's show is as close as I'll ever get to seeing him. This was also the first good concert I've been to ( I was Weezer but they sucked) and I'm sure I'll remember it until i die.

COME BACK SOON

Post subject: looking 4wards
PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 2:24 pm 

starting out on wrong foot-however-i'm very happy i'll be seeing and hearing FZ's music live again in chicago this sat. nite in an acousticly perfect hall(the auditorium theater)Saw the band 16 times while FZ lived and can't wait for sat. Great posts everybody.
P

Post subject: Re: Audio Recording
PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 6:35 pm 

I have an audio recording of this show. What an amazing show it was... The guy next to me was video taping it, but got kicked out. I managed to dicreetly continue taping the show.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 7:57 pm 

not too discrete if your talking about it here ... not too cool either

Post subject: orpheum employee checks in
PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 8:26 pm 

HI all -

I second the thanks to folks for settling in and enjoying the music. Many shows I work are work, and this one was of course work too, but I was happy to be able to enjoy the show as much as I did.

We were expecting 2 sets with 25 minute intermission ending at 11:30 at start of the night and only got the word once the show started that they were running straight thru. So you'll got a 25 minute extra bonus.

Orpheum does not have air (or heat). the lack of heat is not an issue in the winter, you all warm it up. Summer, it's an issue - the pogues 10 years back on a 100 degree day was the worst i've ever been in for heat

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 10:56 pm 

The only time I saw Frank Zappa was at the Warner Theater in DC in 1988. I believe he chose this venue due to its perfect acoustics. A guy in the audience (quite possibly a plant) stood up between songs and shouted "Stairway to Heaven!!!" Frank turned around, looked at the guy, shrugged his shoulders and said, "Well, OK!" Then he conducted a 52 piece orchestra onstage to play the song better than I have ever heard any version by Zeppelin. My jaw dropped that night, and I became enamoured with EffZee.

I was equally in awe June 13th at the Orpheum show in Boston. I am 6 1/2 months pregnant, and even my fetus was rocking. I must say that I saw Dweezil in the 80s (playing a flourescent green guitar), and since then he has improved tenfold. The time he put into learning his father's jams was so evident. I saw Steve Vai back then as well, solo and with David Lee Roth. He has always been brilliant, but at this show he was truly in his element. No wonder Frank hired him after he transposed by ear Zappa's tunes into notes on a page. I caught a pink Vai pick at the Orpheum that I will treasure until my final breath. You could really feel the love radiating off the stage from all of the musicians, and how much respect they had for Frank. In fact, I believe Frank was there smiling big on this gathering.

This baby will no doubt be named Zappa.

Much love and many blessings to the ZPZ musicians and fans,

Lori Childs

PS. The ZPZ T-shirts were sold out before we got to the show. Any idea how to get ahold of one?

Post subject: bean town show
PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 11:36 pm 

Wooof! Hot & nasty show in b-town!
I live in ny but coulnt get tixs so i drove my nappy ass to boston and it was worth every mile!
Been seeing Frank since the late 70's with all kinda bands behind him,
Dwezzz definately picked an ammazing band and to Napoleon live and Terry and Stevie all on the same stage. blew my mind. Now the younger new talent wow.... they kicked ass really truly delicious and that girl could blow that sax very hugelyhot.
Itwas so cool to see Dwezil honor Frank in such an amazing show.
Yes the Orpheium(sp) was f-ing hot but i had great tixs and it was just non stop audio sex ! How many concerts can you go to abd see a band rip notes and scales for 4 hours !!!!!!!!!!!
Terry's solo made you cry it was so damned good - the dude plays like he has 4 arms and 4 legs just killer- as was Stevie Vais guitar and Napoleon's golden voice.
One of the hottest parts of the show was when Steve and Dwezil kept trading licks on guitar for like 6 minute s it was great!
The only thing I missed was the stage props and political satire that usually went along with Franks shows -But hey it was a tribute..
I would really like to see the bad do" Dickys Just an asshole" and change it to "George"....
I'll be at any other east coast concerts in the future and Oh yeah Project Object is pretty good Zappa Trib Band - But this is THE REAL DEAL!!!!!!!!
Good luck - good tour te the band! Long live zappa music!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post subject: Unsure of himself?
PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 2:36 am 

DZ was not looking as if he was unsure of himself. He was looking at the crowd with a "What did you think of that?" kinda look. Every piece was played to perfection and this band is the tightest band I have ever seen! Frank would be proud. I took two days off work, redeemed some Airmiles points and flew in from New Brunswick, Canada for the show. What a great city Boston is and to hear my most favorite music played with such quality and emotion was incredible. Dweezil should seriously consider making a career of playing Dad's music. He represented the family name very well. I hope he plans to come to the East Coast of Canada some day, FZ did, in Halifax, during the You are what you is tour. Front row seats, I was there and vowed to see more Zappa at the next opportunity I got, little did I know that I had to wait over 25 years and get blown away by DZ. Long live the Zappas!

Post subject: WICKED HOT HOT HOT SHOW!!!!
PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 4:46 pm 

In addition to the above setlist I would like to mention that I heard the intro to Filthy Habits in there during King Kong. I know I can't be the only one who heard this....Dweezil was signaling to the audience during that time. Speaking of King Kong, during this piece I heard alot of Make a Jazz Noise Here style jazz improvisation. This part of the show was completely unexpected and very pleasurable!!!!! The band really showed how tight they were.

Other highlights of the show was Steve Vai's "full body guitar seizure feedback" antics during Zomby Woof. My son (who's 15 and was his first concert experience) told me that SV's solo was basically Vai's "Bad Horsie" solo minus the horse sounds. The solo during "Peaches" was splendid as well.

I particulary enjoyed the Black Page #1 & #2, Eat that Question, and expecially, More Trouble Every Day which included the SV & DZ solo exchange and Bozzio's amazing solo! I heard quite a bit of "Hands with a Hammer" in that solo.....anyone else pick up on that?

As stated above, there were alot of people getting up and down during the show that was slightly irritating but not nearly as much as the predicted drunks talking during the show. Before the gig started I told my son to expect talkers sitting next to us and disrupting the show. Viola!!!! as the show started loud, obnoxious drunks who were comparing the show to a Jethro Tull concert were getting on my nerves really bad, fortunately the band drowned them out and the heat rising to the balcony of the Oprheum made them go away, Thankfully!!!!! Another irritant was the guy taking photos with his cell phone. After about 10 or 15 minutes of his phone glaring in my eyes, I tapped him on the shoulder and asked him if he was going to be taking photos during the entire show. He said he was taking only a few pics to email to his friends and he kindly put his phone away during the show. The show was bliss after that.

OH!!! forgot to mention that while locating the venue, on foot, we happened upone the tour bus and found Steve Vai signing autographs so I introduced him to my son and asked if he could have his autograph which Vai obliged us and was quite a pleasant man.

Since the show ended I've been trying to formulate and articulate my experience. Although difficult I would like to express that having experienced a FZ show back in '84 at the very same venue and couple project object gigs, and listening to Zappa for a very very long time, I gotta say that Dweezil's band expresses Franks music better than some of the bands of FZ's. For me, Project Object is a well rehearsed band that plays FZ's music that contains the Ike Willis element found in the last 10 years of Frank's music but with a key elements missing, Zappa, and bad attitudes.

Remember FZ said that he almost liked working with musicians rather than a synclavier? The operative word being, "almost", due to bad attitudes of musicians???? Well, I think DZ is much smarter than most of us give him credit for. DZ chose young, talented, and zealous musicians that realize the great opportunity they've been given and have decided to give their all rather than sit back with that feeling of entitlement and give us a half-hearted rendition of FZ's music. No, this band has taken it a step beyond and I hope Dweezil has his father's ability to fire people immediately once they lose heart and don't give it their all or appreciate what opportunity they have been given. The future looks very, very bright for Dweezil and whom ever has the opportunity to play for/with him. Still, I'm able to articulate the feeling that Dweezil brings to the table that no one on the planet can, Zappa in pure form. Zappa Concentrate, Zappa the next generation.

Although Zappa seem's to be more associated with Mother's, for obvious reasons, DZ and co. have bridged the generational gap between father and son as well. Father and son, mother and child, parent and kids were ever present at the show. For me, this was one of most memorable treasures I could expect to share with my son. This was a dream, I never knew was possible, that came true!

Thank you from the bottom of my heart to the Zappa Family and to the other fans out there who enjoy true musicianship and love of FZ's music. Lastly, I love you Leigh for giving me the best Father's day gift ever, ZPZ tix at the Orpheum!!!!!! YOU SOOOOOO ROCK, babygirl!

p.s. I would like to know the musical backgrounds of the core band? I know there are a couple that are punk rockers at the core. The punk aggressiveness was present in the music, was it not?

Until the next gig.....

Post subject: recording of boston show
PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 5:07 pm 

any one record this show??

I would love to get it

Post subject: Re: Audio Recording
PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 5:39 pm 

taperjay wrote:
I have an audio recording of this show. What an amazing show it was... The guy next to me was video taping it, but got kicked out. I managed to dicreetly continue taping the show.

very bad habbit !

Post subject: THE LOVE
PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 2:03 am 

Hi folks!
I posted earlier about seeing the show in the Orpheum. It is apparent from reading everybody's posts that the shows (all of them) were AMAZING to the audience. I'd like to take this moment to comment on THE LOVE being sent out to Dweezil and the Band for bringing this music to us - both at the concerts and in this forum. I have never read so many truly thoughtful and inspired comments from so many people in regards to, what boils down to, a concert. I guess that the outpouring of gratitude shows us that we are all truly blessed to be partaking in this magical event - and that it truly is so much more than just a concert and more of a badly needed and sorely missed helping of THE WORLD's FINEST OPTIONAL ENTERTAINMENT.

Many dead rockers have a massive following with tribute bands up the wazoo, and those bands probably do very well in the entertainment end of the business. This tour, however, is bringing so much pure joy to the audience that it is more of a love-fest than a mere concert of Frank Zappa's music. It truly is a monument to the greatest composer of the latter half of the 20th century. Long Live Frank Zappa and his Music!

I hope Dweezil doesn't mind that he can certainly make a career by playing his father's music, aside from his obvious talent as a recording musician of his own works. It could seem like "riding his father's coat-tails" for an easy successful tour booking. But Frankly, after seeing this show, I don't see that anybody else could be as faithful to the task - and family is family, so who would be better? Dweezil's mission is to bring his father's legacy to new and (hopefully) younger audiences. It can't be just a one-shot deal. Such an undertaking would take continuous touring. If not every year, at least once every three years with as much enthusiasm as went into this magnificent production.

Dweezil could very easily rehearse new tours and keep them fresh if he wants to. There are so many songs in that catalogue that it could be new every tour. I don't suppose a long-term commitment from Napoleon, Terry or Steve is possible, but perhaps each tour could feature any combination of Zappa alumni. The possibilities are almost enless in everybody's favorite extended family, THE MOTHERS OF INVENTION.

If such a continuing string of tours could happen, I'd bet that Ahmet could sing Frank's songs - the songs Frank sang. Napoleon is doing a stellar job of handling the majority of the singing, but perhaps Ahmet could nail Frank's vocal style and stage persona. I'd be there, every tour, just like in the Frank years.

Thank you Dweezil, Gail and the entire Family for bringing MUSIC back to the stage. Please release a DVD and double CD of this event!