Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 4:10 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 2:33 pm 

Just echoing everyone's comments, especially the last post! And yes, I too was supercharged by Enchalada's... Wow...just...wow! :shock:

Here's hoping there will be many more ZpZ tours in the future! :!:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 2:36 pm 

pygmy2 wrote:
Finally I can get an accout to work, had to re-register, here is my review:

Ok, here goes, the Orpheum was hot, I mean sticky hot! We got in at about 7:45, got some water and took to our tenth row seats.

If you thought the floor was hot you should've come up to the balcony. About halfway up the stairs it felt like walking into an oven! Amazingly it didn't bother me at all!

Post subject: Re: Quite impressive!
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 2:39 pm 

Zolar wrote:
I thought the volume was a little loud for a proper theater like the Orpheum. The hall has acoustic capabilities which allow for great audio presentation to all levels and corners of the room without needing to "blast" to the cheap seats way up in the "nosebleed section." I'm not an old fart, but the lyrics were all but impossible to distinguish unless you knew them anyway.

Sadly I have to agree. I've read on some forums that the sound was excellent on the floor, but up in the balcony is was horrible. I KNOW all the lyrics and I still couldn't make them out. Amazingly it didn't bother me too much, the performance was THAT GOOD!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 5:45 pm 

I don't necessarily think that the volume so much was the issue at the Orpheum but more that the PA may have been slightly under powered.

In other words detail was being lost because the amps were working so hard and trying to produce so much detail (with not enough available power) that it was being lost through distortion. Giving the impression of a muddled sound, hence the vocals being slightly understated at times.

I was quite comfortable with the sound pressure levels. I thought Terry's drums sounded terrible although his playing was great, there was no authority to them at all compared to the other kit.

I loved the show, absolutely loved it. Dweezil looked clearly over whelmed at times which was nice. The reaction from the audience was very warm and genuine, the best I have seen so far from an American audience to date.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 3:00 pm 

so really no one recorded this show guess ill have to settle for another

Post subject: Orpheum Show
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 6:44 pm 

My son, Whurmhole, who has been on an FZ trip for a while now, asked me to attend a concert featuring Dweezil Zappa playing his father's music, for father's day.(I told him it was for MOTHER'S Day) I had seen Frank about 8 or 9 times in my youth, and to say the least, I was very skeptical. Yes, the joint was really HOT that night, but the music was so cool. Napoleon was unbelievable. I think he sang and played over 80% of the songs, without any sign of strain. Inca Roads was particularly impressive due to the fact that the melody is so difficult.
Vai and Bozzio were a great addition to the band, and were thrilling to see live, but Dweezil was the guy that really impressed me. The show was over three hours long and just flew by. He seemed timid at first, but then I realized that he was probably shocked at the Boston audience. He didn't expect the reception to be BETTER than New York's, but then again, Frank always had the best time in Boston. I highly recommend this show to anyone who has seen the senior Zappa. Peaches en Regalia was the best I had ever heard. My only complaint was a loud, fat, slob directly behind us, would NOT shut up. We even threatened the asswipe, but he persisted and kept yelling "Frank, I love Frank" He was so drunk/high that he probably thought it was Frank!!!
Dweezil, you fooled me , too...........see you in Providence in October.
P.S. Please tell me you'll release a CD/DVD of this Tour de Frank. He would be so proud of you!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 5:51 pm 

So tell me tanman, where in providence and when are they playing ? or are you just teasing ?!

Post subject: Providence
PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 2:10 am 

October 25
Providence Performing Arts Center
http://www.zappa.com/zpz/tourdates.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 12:11 pm 

the show was damn fantastic. i got video on youtube up.
napi dancing to florentine pogen http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=luHDmgk1k84
and some audience participation and the girls sax solo http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1OaLYazzZHk

hot stuff
i have more video of that night, just didnt get to upload it on youtube if youd like to see it just tell me.
unfortunately i somehow i missed getting vai playing the guitar with his tounge...heh. of course.

does anyone know exactly how old napi is? harder to find out than a woman's, gosh. dances like a madman, i'm in love :D