Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 1:41 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: 15 June 2006: Detroit, Michigan
PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 3:17 am 
Site Admin

Did you attend this show at Meadow Brook Music Festival in Detroit?

Post your impressions/photos/reviews here.

Please do not post in this thread if you did not attend this show.

Thanks!

Zappa.com Admin
www.zappa.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 3:48 am 

Thank you Dweezil and all the band. Tonight was fantastic. Whenever I've tried to tell people about Frank Zappa shows, I always tried to describe the incredible virtuosity in every member of the band.

That same viruosity was evident tonight.

Absolutely a great show.

I almost cried when I saw the video "duet" toward the end.

I know Frank would be honored with the tribute.

Here I'm is . . .

Last edited by DaveB on Sat Jun 17, 2006 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 8:42 am 

i drove from akron ohio to see the show. it was worth every mile. 8)

Post subject: June 15 - Detroit
PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 12:10 pm 

My husband Chad is a big fan of Terry Bozzio and Terry did a great job banging on those drums. Napoleon Murphy Brock was wonderful! Steve Vai is amazing. This was a great idea and the whole atmosphere was great - the weather even cooperated for a beautiful evening in the park. Thank you Dweezil for putting this together.

Post subject: Detroit Show
PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 12:39 pm 

Drove in from Ann Arbor, arrived about an hour before start time.
I had purchased tickets through Ticketmaster at least a month in advance and ended up with row JJ. Just before I left home I checked to see how the show was selling, and when I got in to Ticketmaster I saw that there were two full rows open, rows G and H!!! I was a little pissed.

When I got to the show I traded up at the ticket office and they told me that the band had turned back their comp tickets and that's why they were available. So now I'm in row H. Sweet.

I'll let someone else note the set list, I suspect it was similar or maybe the same as Boston.

Show started with the Roxy clip. Since this was an outdoor venue it was still light at 8PM and the first part of the video was not ideal. But I'm not complaining. And I'll echo most everyone's sentiment...bring on the DVD!!

The show was excellent as others have already posted. I've been going to shows for almost 40 years and I wouldn't say it's the best one I ever saw. But, I definitely would go again if they came back. In my mind that's a true testament as to how good it really was.

We also got to see the band play along with the video clip of Frank which I thought was a very creative and emotional part of the show. You really do get the feeling that he's in the room again.

Dweezil is quite a good guitar player, but I sense he's a little introverted. I have no doubt is not afraid to be on stage but I don't think it's his nature to be an over the top showman; which was fine. The other three special guests provided enough showmanship to make up for it.

Brock, Vai and Bozzio were all playing their asses off and the crowd loved it. Napoleon Murphy Brock as the main vocalist was the glue that held it all together and he was all over the stage with wild dancing and gestures on cue with the music.

Bozzio and Vai essentially made cameo appearances during the show. They both are definitely on a different level of playing than the rest of the fine band Dweezil assembled.

My only one negative comment about the guests. Steve Vai is such a great guitar player, when he was actually playing it was pretty incredible to watch. I think he's one of the best in the world. I didn't really care for his figuratively jerking off with his guitar to egg on the crowd. But there were definitely people in the crowd that loved it.

Show ended on time around 11PM "to meet the curfew."

It was a great replica of one of Frank's shows. If you're on the fence about going to a future show, don't hesitate! As I mentioned I would go again in a second.

Post subject: Cheapness!!!
PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 1:33 pm 

:D
Holy Shit It Zappa !!!
Quick grab one of Madelyn's diapers, I think Im about to shit my pants!!!! Ooops Too late!!! Well Dweezil put together one of the finest bands I have ever heard and has hit the road with his tribute to his fathers music. I took my wife and My baby daughter (not even 1 year old) Madelyn to the show at the Meadowbrook Ampitheatre. She had a great Time, the atmosphere was kind and mellow, she danced and rolled down the hill, loving every moment, as did I. Top notch performance, Steve Vai!!! Terry Bozzio!!!! Napolean Brock!!! Holy Shit, see there it goes again, I need a new pair of Shorts!!! Well I hope these guys will keep touring, its refreshing to hear GREAT LIVE MUSIC.

PLEASE COME BACK!!!!! The World Needs This Music. (or at least I do)

Post subject: The Oracles Loved It!!
PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 2:09 pm 

Sir Hodge and Bubba South want to publically state that this was a great evening of fine optional entertainment, The band was great! Dweezil has selected some fine musicians to carry forth this wonderful tribute!

Please folks, if your undecided about attending a show, read all the great reviews and go.

Thank you for playing the challenging work as well as some of the fun stuff. Setlist was a combination of both. One can never get enough of Bozio playing/screaming "Trying to Grow a Chin".

Could not have asked for more!

One suggestion. Please bring the CD's to the concession stand. Make the music more accessable.

See you guys in Cleveland.

Post subject: truly outstanding
PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 2:58 pm 

unbelievable show!
Murphy was very anaimated Terry was as hot as ever and Vai was Vai as good as it gets. But I expected that.

What blew me away is what a fine selection of fine musicans that dz put together. I saw fz twelve times in my life and these guys were as tight as any of fz bands.

The best was that I was front row and the band really enjoy playing this extremly demanding music I could se them happy and enjoying the show even off stage.
WOW !
thanks for keeping fz alive

Post subject: spoilers
PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 3:12 pm 

I can't say much more than has already been said.
One thing that this band brings to Frank's music is Power.
Frank has come to the 21 Century for sure!!!

one minor problem.....

I like to check spoilers before seeing a concert.
By seeing the set list before hand, i know what to expect and more importantly .... what not to expect....

[for example..... a couple stupid people beside me.... who talked constantly.... at one point were saying....
"ah.... is this Dinah mo hum????"
"no.... they're gonna play that later.... maybe in the second set......"

DUH

I knew that wasn't on Dweezil's set list [unless he had surprises in store]

BUT

I also knew something was up when they didn't play Hungry Freaks.....
and then they didn't take a quick break....

I began to suspect there was a curfew.......
which was confirmed by Dweezil at 2 minutes before 11 pm..... saying....
"We only have 2 minutes before we get in trouble....." and then quickly proceeded to introduce the band......to end the evening...

The thing is......
In previous venues....When Terry has been in attendence...... The set list contained 27 -29 songs.

With the curfew last night...... they only played 23.......

So in this case...... maybe knowing the spoilers from before helped my feeling of......getting a little gipped........

It's really minor........
And i got a good fill of tunes!!!!!!!!

But Curfews suck.

Post subject: An absolute dream concert
PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 3:37 pm 

I stumbled across this concert less than 8 hours before it was suppose to start and made it there - 7th row! This show was totally amazing and is a definite "do not miss". I hope they come back this fall - please Please PRETTY PLEASE!!!

3 solid hours of pure entertainment (and by the looks of the set list we missed out on a few songs due to our outdoor venues 11:00 curfew). I was pleased to see that the place was as full as when Frank played there in 1984.

The Roxy video was great, despite a few video glitches. I would still buy it and treasure it (but a more complete version of course)!!! Bring it on, warts and all!

Dweezil is a very accomplished player and was very entertaining. He is not Frank, but no one is. Enjoy him for his virtues and listen to what he has to offer. You won't be disappointed.

I felt that I had seen a pretty solid show BEFORE Terry Bozzio came out. To my surprise, the show was only about half over!

I loved the song selection variety and the new band is incredible. I sat directly in front of Napoleon and the keyboard players and the female keyboardist/saxophonist/flutist/vocalist/dancer continually blew me away. (She's quite easy on the eyes too). I watched her play Sax and Keyboards at the same time in several parts of the show.

When they played the music along with the video of Frank playing Chungas Revenge in 1981 I realized how much I miss Frank, and then looked at Dweezil and realized how much he must miss his dad. I must admit to getting a bit choked up.

If I have to critique the show I can only think of two things. First of all they should be selling CD's and DVD's there. I was all ready to purchase Dub Room and was quite disappointed (you guys are missing out on a huge amount of revenue by not providing product). Secondly, although the hand signals went great in King Kong I think the frequency of the signals was a bit too hectic. That frequency works for sound effects but needs to be reduced while people solo, otherwise they really don't get to solo - they are just throwing in some notes without exploring the theme because there is too short of a time for them to play before someone else is pointed to go at it. But I suppose that was the idea - not solos just effect. I still enjoyed it and am CERTAINLY NOT COMPLAINING!!!

Kudos to Dweezil and Zappa Family Trust for getting this together. Hopefully it will be lucrative and can continue for a while, or occur every few years even.

Post subject: Detroit, June 15
PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 4:35 pm 

I'm a 30 plus year fan and veteran of many Zappa concerts who has shared this music with my 12 year old son for the past 3 years. He's even known at his Jr. High as "Frank Zappa" by the principal and teachers.

My son has devoured this music and is learning to play it on guitar (actually reading from sheet music!). This effort is paying off in both his playing and comprehension of composed music. When I saw that this show was being scheduled, I knew we had to go.

At any rate, we attended the show along with a few friends including my son's guitar instructor, another rabid fan.

I was a little nervous before attending the show, thinking that this might be just a hollow rendition of some of my fondest memories. How wrong could I have been!

Dweezil has put together a band that I think even his Dad would have been comfortable with. We were really impressed by Dweezil's playing, and more so, the feeling he put into his playing. The other members of the band were all of the caliber you would expect of a Zappa lineup. If you're worried that a band of "unknowns" could pull something like this off, think back and you'll realize that Napolean, Terry, and Steve were all "unknowns" when the they started with Frank and look at them now. Being a drummer, I was absolutley blown away by Joe Travers and each and every member of the band could have made the "cut" with Frank. A fine group that really know how to work together.

The songlist consisted of a lot of early-mid seventies stuff and almost the entire Roxy and Elsewhere album was represented. Also included were some of the older songs like "Let's Make the Water turn Black" and a few of the early 80's pieces.

Napolean has always been my favorite as far as vocalists go, and his inclusion on the bill was the perfect choice. It's amazing that this man hasn't changed, as far as vocal ability and showmanship, in 30 years.

I saw Terry for the first time at a concert in London in '78? and his energy hasn't diminished a bit since then. The Black Page was incredible!

Stevie, as usual, played his rear off. Even with all his post-Zappa success, he was able to mix in and played like a band member rather than a star making a cameo.

We all had a fantastic time and it was a amazing to look over and see my son singing along; I didn't realize he knew ALL the lyrics.

Dweezil, thanks for putting this together, my son and I couldn't have spent a more enjoyable evening together!!! Please schedule another Detroit show. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 5:18 pm 

FZ helped me through Viet Nam in 68, work/marraige/raisingkids, world political insanity, stupid people, and continues to entertain and make me smile through his offspring, especially what Dweezil is doing with this tour. I've got to believe his Mom plays a role in it somehow. While the concert music was very, very good...the footage of Frank and accompanying guitar by DZ brought the crowd to total silence...and put a nice vibe out.

Post subject: A fine time indeed.
PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 9:09 pm 

Hey kids-

Great seeing Dweez, Joe and company. The midwest is rather, um, Victorian as regards the peace that irate neighbors of outdoor venues require. Meadowbrook is a lovely venue, except for its location, which is governed by the people who jailed Jack Kevorkian and let Ron Artest walk. The other people gave you the Hummer and the Pontiac Silverdome. As we noted after the show, Broken Hearts are for Oakland County.

Thanks again Joe, hope you all got your reading in. Also great seeing Mr. Vai, who is as cool a guy as he is a virtuoso. I was beat and we headed out shortly after saying hey - we will catch the rest of you this fall!

Most of the preceeding show comments are easy to agree with. I am astonished by the quality of Napoleon Murphy Brock's work, some 30 years after working on the originals they created. The band was solid - far moreso than the various cover bands that have played in recent years. The guests were fun, the chronological approach was cool. Hard to argue with any songs, I sure would have enjoyed Hungry Freaks. Am I really the only one who hears an interpolation of "Satisfaction" in HFD's basic riff and fundamental lyrical theme?

Bottom line: Dedication, perseverance and hard work have converged to allow this tremendous presentation, promotion and preservation of this work that so many old farts like me have not enjoyed in many years. We look forward to many similar events in the future :D

The Idiot Bastard Brother

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 4:30 am 

well, what else can i write that everyone else has commented on?

the show was fantastic, words can not describe the effect it had on me. seeing old friends (vai, bozzio, brock) and seeing new friends, the experience was awesome. i am 40 years old and i am proud to say that out of my 40 years, i have been a zappa fan for 27 years. i have went to any lengths to get all of the material that frank has put out. cd's, dvd's, books, posters, you name it. i have it or a want it!

frank had a huge impact on my life. it is not just music to me. it is... frank.

thank you dweezil, thank you players, thank you frank. i had chills all night. and then to see frank on that screen with his hands on that guitar...

i cant say anymore. yes i can...

thank you.

Todd

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 2:31 pm 

So does anyone else remember Dweezil saying that they were looking forward to coming back?

My only question is does he mean another ZpZ tour or is he going to use the same band (minus the vets) to tour his new album? Either way I'll be there!