Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 10:46 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: 16 June 2006: Toronto, ON
PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 2:49 am 
Site Admin

Did you attend this show at the Hummingbird Center for the Performing Arts in Toronto?

Post your impressions/photos/reviews here.

Please do not post in this thread if you did not attend this show.

Thanks!

Zappa.com Admin
www.zappa.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 4:14 am 

WOW

The only thing hot at the Hummingbird was the Band

Sheila you rock .... Joe you were steller

Stevie is an alien .... Terry ... 56 really amazing

more later .... wanted to get here first ....

will review later

Dweeze thanks for signing the "Apostrophe"

Post subject: Toronto Concert Review
PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 5:06 am 

The show started with almost 20 minutes of video footage from a rarely seen TV special shot of Frank's band in about 1973. I've seen lots of Zappa video bootlegs, but I've never seen this clip before. It was my personal favorite ensemble: Napoleon Murphy Brock, George Duke, Bruce and Tom Fowler, Ruth Underwood, and the two drummers, Ralph Humphreys and Chester Thompson. The clip showed them getting ready to start the show, and then doing the complete version of Montana, followed by Frank leading that band in an improv moment, followed by another classic of the period (Forgive me, but I forget the name of the tune... but it's in 5/4... like THAT narrows it down... I think it might be Alien Oriface).
At the end of this segment, Dweezil and the band came on and began the show. The first tune was (I suspect) a Dweezil tune.

In no particular order... they played these songs, (and I'm sure I've forgotten some).
Stink Foot, King Kong, the whole Don't Eat The Yellow Snow suite, Peaches, Village Of The Sun, Echidnas Arf, Inca Roads, Pound For A Brown, The Black Page versions 1 and 2, Trouble Every Day, Token Of My Extreme, Growing A Chin, I'm So Cute, Montana. I think that's it!

Set one featured the vocals of the drummer Joe Travers. Watching him play and sing at the same time was pretty incredible. This guy was unreal. The female saxophonist (or saxist and I like to call her), did double duty playing sax, keys and singing. Her vocal range was very big, and she also won brownie points for being able to play the sax and keyboard simultaneously!
The keyboard player was a young hot kid, who also doubled on trumpet.
The bass player has the best name in show business... Pete Griffin!! He was a monster.
The other guitarist (sorry, I forget his name) had chops up the grand wazoo too!
There was also a percussionist, and of course, his parts were outrageously hard to pull off.

At the start of the second half, Terry Bozzio came out and played, and was, to put it extremely mildy, LIFE ALTERING! The guy really is the most brilliant drummer I've ever seen. At 56 years old, it's unbelieveable to see this guy play. During Pound For A Brown, (which is in a very fast 7/8 feel) he got so complex in his fills that it would often take upwards of 4 bars before I would have any idea how he'd ever land again on the ONE. It never got boring, and he never ran out of stuff to play. (And wood from his sticks was flying all over the place. It was really exciting to watch him play.)
A highlight for me (being such a massive Bozzio fanatic) was hearing them do Punkies Whips. I never saw that song coming.
Then, as Dweezil put it, since Terry had just used up all of his remaining energy on the first few songs, it was time for him to do The Black Page! They did it the original way, with Terry, the other drummer, and the percussionist all playing the Black Page unaccompanied. It morphed into the more modern version where the rhythmic figures are given a melody with which young people can sing along and dance!!

Then, when you thought if anything could be better than this, you'd turn into goo - Steve Vai came out!! This is when they started slamming us with complex note-fests like Achidnas Arf. Steve also sang/spoke lead on Montana. He and Dweezil did some pretty inspired guitar dueling, which was actually very musical. It was great being so close to the stage, to see how they all interracted with each other.

For whatever reasons, there was an 11pm curfew, so with 20 minutes left, Dweezil announced that they'd have to start crunching stuff together to get the show done on time. This is when Trouble Every Day began, which had solos by pretty much everybody on stage, including a Bozzio drum solo, followed by a Pat Travers drum solo. Both were great of course, but it was fun watching Terry when Pat was doing his solo. He was totally grooving on Pat's solo, which was really encouraging. It would be like watching "god" take the solo of a life time and then having him pass the lead off to you. Good luck!!

So that was it. I got a T-shirt and a really lousy $5 program, but otherwise, this was a truly mind altering experience.

I'm hoping there will be a tour document: a CD or DVD to commemorate this tour. Other than hearing Frank and his bands play this music originally, I've never heard this music played better before. The mix from the PA was awesome. Loud, but clear.

In conclusion... all of this music was written by one man. Frank truly was the most astoundingly brilliant composer I've ever heard. The world is not the same without him, but thankfully there are a few extremely proficient musicians who continue to revere him by performing his music on stage.

End Communication.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 6:39 am 

Whohoo!

I've waited 15 years to hear this music performed with such love and respect. It's very obvious that Dweezil and everyone involved has put a lot of work into making this tour happen. Thank you so much!

A few show notes:

Since NMB was out, DZ and the gang worked some extras hours at soundcheck to insert previously unperformed material. Stinkfoot and Pound For A Brown (w/TB) were the two new tunes, plus Scheila sang more than she usually does. It was very cool to hear Inca Roads with a female lead vocal, she has quite a range.

Time was short at the end so they didn't leave the stage and come back for the encore, they just jumped right in to Trouble Every Day. DZ spontaneously had Steve do a little bonus lead over the Token changes during the farewell!

When Dweezil started his lead for Inca that was one of the more powerful moments of the concert for me. Such a signature Zappa sound.

I'm glad Dweezil mentioned his Dad at the end.

It means so much to hear these songs live and LOUD the way they've been played so many times before. The Black Page, Peaches, ...they have yet another dimension now that I've heard them live.

Can't. Wait. For October.
Can I get to Chicago tomorrow?
I'm registered to Vote: YES on a DVD.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 12:26 pm 

as for the Sheila Gonzales fan Club I'm in too !!!!!!

AMAZING

Asset Manager ???

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 12:36 pm 

as for the curfew ... why can you play in a bar where everyone is drunk (and usually disorderly) and play till 3 AM

but a peaceful crowd brought together by a national treasure. THe greatest composer of our time and we are under some "Curfew" ...

just a bunch of law abiding gentle people gathered together celebrating this life cut short.

Security dressed in black mingling amoungst the crowd ..... republicans!

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Dweeze fuck the curfew come back for a News years eve bash and play til your fingers bleed ..... hands like a hammer? how the finger???

missed chunga last nite......

Post subject: curfew
PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 2:47 pm 

As I said in the Detroit thread.....

Curfews suck....

Post subject: Union Curfews
PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 3:39 pm 

I've played gigs in Union-run halls like this before, and it's really brutal. No offence - I know people have to make a living, but I swear that 80% of the union halls I've played in (Hamilton Place for one) are run by guys who don't give a shit about anything other than following the procedures and getting paid. I've played some places where I'm not even allowed to carry my own amp on stage. I guess it's nice to be pampered, but it really is bullshit.
It's even worse if you have to play with symphony musicians. If the show goes overtime by a minute, they all get paid extra, which can cost a fortune. None of them would be willing to play an extra 5-10 minutes for the sake of the music, because most of the time, they are not there for the sake of the music. Music stopped meaning something to them years ago!

Rant concludes here for my own sanity's sake!!

GRRR!

Post subject: why no NMB?
PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 6:09 pm 

Any body know why NMB did not perform in Toronto?
Curious as we're seeing the Chicago show 2nite....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 7:24 pm 

Dweezil told us that NMB had a family matter that needed attention.

Be prepared for an awesome show either way. I don't think anyone was disappointed. I sure wasn't.

Have fun!!

Post subject: thanx fer the hedsup
PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 9:05 pm 

Life happens, eh?
just starting to gear up fer the show-same venue that I saw him on the last tour-'88-weird how i said "saw him"-the vibe I have is very much that he'll be there in spirit -and thats what counts.
I'll check in on the page for 2nites show after-
I'm all atwitter!
P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 11:17 pm 

My fiance and I flew in from Winnipeg to see the show and it was worth every penny! Dweezil and Co. have done an amazingly authentic job in bringing Frank's music to a live audience once again. You will not be dissapointed. The volume isn't overbearing either which is a plus!

The show itself as stated above was missing NMB due to a family emergency, as a result there was no, Help I'm a Rock, Cheepnis, Florentine Pogen etc. but Dweezil made up for it by presenting us with a few "Tour Firsts" such as Stinkfoot, the Yellow Snow/St. Alphonzo/Father O'Blivion suite and Pound for a Brown (w/bozzio). We also had some great audience participation during King Kong with Dweezil giving different sections of the audience hand signals for high and low sounds (not sure if he's done that yet).

I had a chance to talk with Joe Travers breifly after the show and thank him for the great job he did on the main vocals. This guy is amazing , his passion and dedication to the music was incredible and he can drum like a motherf#@&>r!!! He seemed really nice too...

The only small dissapointment for myself personally was that due to some "union hall curfew" they had to be finished by 11:00pm, the show got started late as well so we ended up missing out on four of my favorite songs Zomby Woof, the Chunga Video, Cosmik Debris and worst of all Sofa! I managed to get a copy of the set list so I know those songs were planned....oh well I'm headin to Mineapolis in October so hopefully I'll catch em there...

Set List:

Opening Roxy Footage: Montana and Duprees Paradise

Imaginary Diseases
Stinkfoot
King Kong
Yellow Snow
St. Alfonzo
Father O'Blivion
Inca Roads (Vocals were done by Scheila!...another "Tour First!")

Intermission

Im So Cute(Bozzio)
Tryin To Grow A Chin(Bozzio)
Punky's Whips(Bozzio, Duh!)
Black Page#1(Bozzio)
Black Page#2(Vai)(Bozzio & Travers were tight as hell!!!)
Peaches (Vai)
Montana (Vai)
Village of The Sun(Vai)
Echidna's Arf(Vai)
Zomby Woof (WASNT PLAYED)
Chunga Video (WASNT PLAYED)

Cosmik Debris? (WASNT PLAYED) (the ? was on the set-list)
Trouble Every Day (short intro) - This was the last song after Echidna's Arf
Sofa (WASNT PLAYED)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 6:02 pm 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Awesome review... here's my 2¢.. I live in Ottawa so this whole "11:00 noise by-law" bullshit really gets under my skin, it's the venue that gets a fine if the band make noise after 11:00 so most bands (ZPZ included) just walk offstage, any excuse to cut short I guess, sadly. When I saw Estradasphere here in Ottawa they just went into an "unplugged" set after 11:00, they turned everything off and played a BEAUTIFUL acoustic set for over an hour... now THAT is how you turn a downer into a WAY upper. That is also why bands are a WAY better off playing in Quebec (Montreal) instead of tight-assed Ontario (Toronto or Ottawa).. the French REALLY know how to have a good time!

Anyways, great show just too short. Would I drive 1,000 Km to see the same show again? I dunno. Maybe they'll play Montreal and we'll get to see the REAL show, in all it's splendor.

Montreal in de historical past, GUARANTEED an evenin' of upliftin' FROLIC and CAVORTMENT...it'd be a shame fo y'all t'miss out on dis here one!

Photographic evidence of the Toronto show! There are more videos uploading but it is taking a little while, keep checking back there are 6 alltogether.

Post subject: In Montreal
PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 8:40 pm 

Correct me if I'm wrong, and if I am, I'll eat a bug...

But I think this show IS coming to Montreal later in the summer. Check the website out, or that amazing $5 program and see if Montreal IS on there. I think it is.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 10:22 pm 

gonna rent a bus and show em how to do it up right ... Metropolis Oct 24th

Seat 5 on Fido 3 anyone ....

you'll love it