Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 8:42 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: 17 June 2006: Chicago, IL
PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 3:54 am 
Site Admin

Did you attend this show at the Auditorium Theatre in Chicago?

Post your impressions/photos/reviews here.

Please do not post in this thread if you did not attend this show.

Thanks!

Zappa.com Admin
www.zappa.com

Post subject: Amazing!
PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 4:58 am 

Apparently I'm the first one to get back 'home'. ;-)

Show was amazing, much better than I had expected. Sound quality was not perfect on the balconies though, but that was probably just inherent to the location.

I missed the show in Brussels because I am working overseas, so I had to catch up now. It was certainly worth coming to Chicago for!

Thanks for the great show....

Post subject: 17 June 2006: Chicago, IL
PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 5:08 am 

Thanks to Dweezil for continuing to keep Frank's music alive. The band was spectacular. Napoleon Murphy Brock's energy and enthusiasm added to the wonderful experience. He tackled the vocals as if he was channeling Frank. Everyone embraced the music, musicians and audience, and when I wasn't smiling I was close to tears, missing the man who composed these outrageous, complex and enjoyable songs.

The last time I saw Frank perform was on the stage of the Auditorium Theater in 1988. He would be proud of his son and the legacy of his music.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 5:18 am 

Well, as usual, Dweezil, the family trust, and their special guests put on an amazing show. I could go on for pages and pages about each song and how incredible it was, and how much it did justice to Frank and his music. One moment though, was particularly incredible, and I feel it needs special mention.

For the song Chunga's Revenge, a screen came down, and the band the played rhythm while a video of Frank went on and played the lead, from a live performance. After his part was done, Dweezil went on, and began to play the main theme of the song. I don't recall how many times he played through it, but what was so powerful about it was when Dweezil was done (and during the song if I can remember correctly), he wiped his eyes more than a few times. Today, being Father's day, and him playing his deceased father's music, you could tell that watching and hearing his father play along side him was tough. It was the most powerfully emotional moment of the concert, easily. As the applause roared over the silent stage, intensified by the display of love Dweezil had put forth, I think everyone felt that Frank would have been proud at that moment. Now I took my dad to this concert at a father's day gift, and many others probably did as well, so his emotions at that moment were palpable.

That was the highlight for me, however, the rest of the concert was phenomenal. Easily the greatest show I've ever been to, with the greatest line-up. The setlists I've seen have all of the songs that were played here, but listening to the album doesn't do justice to what I saw. Steve Vai was a real treat, as his performance in the end of the show and the encore were flawless. I knew Dweezil was good before, but man is he good too. Both Joe Travers and Bozzio were fantastic, but Travers' drums had a better tonality. Jamie Kime, his rhythm guitarist, and Pete Griffin, his bassist, were also extremely talented. Scheila Gonzalez helped out with the female backing vocals that would have been missed, and her and Napoleon put together made for a flawless recreation of the vocals of Zappa. Aaron Arntz, the keyboardist and backup singer was also cool, and Billy Hulting was the perfect cap to it all. The signature mallet sound was probably my favorite little piece in the puzzle.

Again, to recap, an incredible show, that if you've seen, you can agree, but if you're one of the next cities, you're in for a real treat.

Post subject: Blown Away
PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 5:36 am 

The subject says it all...

I've been a giant Frank fan for many years starting after high school (84), but was never able to see him play live. This was my chance to finally get a taste of live action. I wasn't in anyway disapointed. Frank's muse is amazing, and just as amazing is the effort, love and craftsmanship that the people he works with put into the show. I never ever, ever, ever would have thought it possible to see a band play Village of The Sun, and Cheapness? Damn, The Black Page! All the musicians were so top quality, Frank seems to have always attracted the best. You have to be the best to play his music. Everyone was so great and I am so thankful for having experienced it. Life is short and Frank was cut even shorter. Thank you Dweezle!

Post subject: Chicago
PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 5:39 am 

Zappanen?
Just got home from the best Zappa concert I've ever seen.
No need to talk about the set list-it hasn't changed. It was good to see them at the Auditorium-as was already mentioned the last place Frank played in Chicago-I was there in '88, too. To all of you out there on the rest of the tour-suck up the tickets now! The talent, energy and persevernce of this band is truly a testament to the enduring legacy of FZ's work ethic and genuine love of music.
Dweezil and Co. really seemed to enjoy the crowd-trust a Chicago audience to make musicians feel loved-something like 20 standing o's.
When Frank would bring the band around he'd often book 2 shows a night-so- a 3 hr. concert was really a treat-he'd usually keep it around 2 hrs.
My mind is just boggled by how well they did- If you are trying to be a "purist" and use the fact that the composer is dead to excuse yourself from going to these concerts-Well-do yourself a favor and remember they still play Beethoven all over the world-get thee to the box office and support these guys!
YOU WILL NOT BE DISAPPOINTED!
Thank you, Dweezil.

Post subject: Chicago Show
PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 3:21 pm 

Wow! What a great 3 hours plus! ... Dweezil and the boys did a Franktastic job of performing the Master's music! Having seen Frank many years ago both ath the Auditorium Theater and several times at the Uptown Theater in Chicago ... it was quite a treat to hear this music performed live again! The Zombie Woof was most excellent and gave me goose bumps! Other highlights for me were King Kong, Inca Roads, Echidna's Arf and Florentine Pogen! Someone please post the whole set list ... sure would love to get my hands on a copy of the audio for this show if someone recorded it! Job well done guys ... it was a great gift you gave us as a precursor for Father's Day!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 4:04 pm 

Dweezil your efforts and compassion are appreciated.

My husband and I have been die hard fans since adolensence. We have been enjoying Franks music and live shows since 1971. Collectively we have seen more than 26 live shows that we can recall or have stubs from, with the last being in the very autotorium in 88. "Broadway the Hardway Tour".

When your dad passed my husband actually recieved condolances & gifts from a couple friends. We are still deeply sadenned by the loss, however because of your efforts and talents we once again had the JOY of a live performance of his work.

The bands allumni, Brock, Vai, Bozzio were truly enjoyed and the energy and talent that flowed with the new band members was phenominal. The talent's that you chose to be part of this effort were all perfect choices!

The tone quality and percission of the performance was pristine. We were truly amazed at the performance and somehow did not expect it to be quite that good in your father's absence. We know that he is truly proud of you Dweezil.

Thanks again for bringing us the music once again,
Maryanne & Dave Lucas

Post subject: Thank You!
PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 6:21 pm 

This was by far one of the most wonderful experiences I've ever had. I will not repeat what was already said in the previous posts but I agree with them all. Dweezils tribute to his father was extremely passionate.

When I heard that Frank had passed, it was just as if one of my best friend had died. It's great to see Frank again through his very talented and loving son.

Dweezil, your a wonderful son and know that your father IS proud of you!

Thanks so very much!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 7:25 pm 

I flew to Chicago from Atlanta to catch this show. I wouldn’t have missed it for love or money.

The set list was incredible. I never in a hundred years would I have thought I would hear these songs performed flawlessly in one 4 hour show. I actually had to remind myself to breathe because I sat there with my mouth wide open for so long. With the exception of the drunken idiot next to me who kept stepping on my boots and smelled like stale beer, liverwurst and ass, nobody around me even got up to tinkle for 4 hours.

The songs were fantastic, the band was so tight it was incredible to realize what I was a witness to. After the show, I was so emotionally and physically exhausted, I felt like Dweezil and the band grabbed me by my ankles and began swinging me into the pavement over and over. Every time I started to think this could not possibly get any better, it did. My shirt was soaked by the end of the show. I was too tired to move. It felt great!!!

When the screen came down and I realized what was going on, I was weeping like a school girl. I will never forget that ever…thank you Dweezil.

One of the many highlights of the show was little Ellis!! Man, that kid is ruined for life now….Dweezil had him come on stage and put this kid’s fingers on the fret board and Dweezil helped him play the Inca Roads solo which earned him a standing ovation. Then he got to swing around over by the keyboards and he got to help over there too. This was the classiest thing I have ever seen on stage and I personally want to thank the band for that. Little Ellis’ street cred just shot through the roof and that I got to witness what may be a turning point perhaps in a young boy’s life was phenomenal. At least we can all rest easy knowing that he won’t be listening to Britney or Jessica.

I want to thank everyone involved for the best show I have ever seen. I will never forget this as long as I live. Thank you all and let’s do this again soon.

Post subject: Damn...
PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 8:10 pm 

Somebody asked for the set list so here it is...

Roxy Video (Montana + Dupree's Paradise)
Imaginary Diseases
Hungry Freaks, Daddy
Let's Make the Water Turn Black
Florentine Pogen
Pygmy Twylyte
The Idiot Bastard Son
Cheepnis
King Kong (w/Filthy Habits)
Don't Eat the Yellow Snow
St. Alfonzo's Pancake Breakfast
Father O'blivion
Inca Roads
(enter Bozzio) I'm So Cute
Tryin' to Grow a Chin
City of Tiny Lites
Punky's Whips
The Black Page #1
(enter Vai) The Black Page #2
(exit Bozzio) Peaches en Regalia
Montana
Village of the Sun
Echidna's Arf (of You)
Zomby Woof
(exit Vai) Chunga's Revenge (w/Frank)
ENCORE
(enter Bozzio and Vai) The Orange County Lumber Truck
More Trouble Every Day (w/Bozzio and Travers Drum Solos)
Sofa

I flew in from Oklahoma to see this and it was well worth it. This is one of those rare occasions where ALL THE HYPE IS REAL. If you have the opportunity to see this, don't miss it.

Thank you, Dweezil.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 10:13 pm 

I hope they make a DVD of this concert from some city. It's such an amazing show, I'd be upset if they neglected to do this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 3:12 am 

Thank You Dweezil !
What a night !

"Peaches en Regalia" brought tears to my eyes.

Thought it was a curious omission, the absence of "Titties and Beer" when they was a perfectly abled Terry Bozzio on deck and at the ready to grab his pickle . . .

Perry/Chicago

iTunes Link
http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZSt ... =151723527

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 3:19 am 

Un-freakin'-believable. Best concert I've seen since '88.

Last edited by Alienbasscraft on Sat Jul 21, 2007 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Amazing
PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 3:04 pm 

The show in Chicago on Sat. was nothing less than Amazing. Thank you to the band for the best show I have seen in my life thus far. I am too young to have been able to see Frank live.. but this was the next best thing.
It ROCKED MY FACE OFF!!!

Thank you again

It was definatly THE best show I've seen. Being able to see Bozzio play Punky's Whips... gave me so much Joy!!

And being able to see Steve Vai live.. was just amazing.. as well as Napoleon.. his engergy was wonderful!!

JUST AMAZING.. Thats all I can say.. AMAZING!!!