Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 4:58 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: 06 November 2010: London, UK
PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 4:30 am 
Site Admin

Did you attend the ZPZ show at the Frank Zappa 70th Birthday Celebration at the Roundhouse in London, UK?

Dweezil and the band love reading your reviews.

Please do not post in this thread if you did not attend the show.

Mikey
Zappa.com Webmeister

Post subject: Re: 06 November 2010: London, UK
PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 7:49 am 

Amazing..
Hearing Apostrophe in it's entirety, well, words fail me.
The impact of the entire album blew me away - and it sounded almost precisely like the album. Dweezil's phrasing on most of the guitar parts was masterful and at times exactly like Franks.
And opening with The Gumbo Variations was a stroke of genius, always wanted to hear that live!

The inclusion of the special guests, Scott Thunes, Jeff Simmons, Moon (and Mathilda) all added to occasion.

Fantastic!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 1:12 pm 

Dweezil n the band once again delivered. Their opening track, Gumbo Variations I think, blew the crowd away! They made apostrophe sound better than the original, if that possible, n the interaction with the footage of Frank on the screen was brilliant. Watchin Dweezil on stage looking at his dad playing allong was memorable. 
All the tracks were "the best" but promise not to cum in your mouth" was great to here live. I brought my 15 yr old thrash guitar playing son with me who worships slipknott n bullet 4 my valentine and in his words he thought the gig was "mind-blowing" also he couldn't believe he got to shake Dweezils hand too! thanks guys for another fantastic night of music see you in Wales one day perhaps! 
Ifvyou can Please give a shout out to the Nimble Limbs who are traveling from Swansea in South Wales to watch your Belgium gig tonight as they had to play a gig n couldn't make the round house. 
Great googly moogly !  Bailey n Olly (son of Bailey)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 3:04 pm 

Took my 10 year old daughter, who can get a little frustrated with me and having to listen to Zappa on every car journey etc. She was mesmerized for the entire show and now has a new hero in Shelia Gonzalez! How can you not love that woman.

Oh my god - The Gumbo Variations, the entire Apostrophe' album, Inca Roads. Dumb All Over, RDNZL, Cruisin' For Burgers, I Promise Not To..., Baby Snakes, Valley Girl with Moon and Matilda, and of course closing with Muffin Man (my daughter's favourite!) Scott Thunes, Jeff Simmons and Wonderful Wino. I have seen every ZPZ show in London to date and they have really taken this to another level. Can't wait for them to come back SOON!

THANK YOU DWEEZIL.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 4:38 pm 

I was totally blown away last night - these guys just tore the roof off. I can still feel the energy of the night flowing through me.

Dweezil and his crew run a seriously tight ship. Some incredible link ups with Frank on screen, I can't believe I was there to witness all this - Apostrophe, Montana, RDNZL, Baby Snakes, Valley Girl... Every song was a highlight.

There was a lot of laughter, and some very touching, tender moments. I welled up a few times watching Frank on screen, and just thinking about all the love that people have for Frank and his family. It's really very touching.

The whole night totally blew my mind. It was cool of Dweezil to come into the crowd afterwards and say hi and do signatures.

I really really hope a DVD is made of this and The Yellow Shark performance from Friday!

Thank you Dweezil, Gail, Diva and the whole Zappa ensemble for choosing to celebrate Frank’s 70th in London. And please… come back next year - we’ll do it all over again!

MUCH LOVE x

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 8:21 pm 

Come from Italy just to be part of the Roundhouse event!

Yesterday was my seventh ZPZ show since the first in Amsterdam in 2006.... (after 8 Frank concerts from 1974...) and it was a blast !

Saw Dweezil first guitar solo (he was 12 years old!) and Moon singin' Valley Girl in Munich, Olympiahalle in 1982... and yesterday it happened again! What a twist of fate!

The Band sounds even better and better, Dweezil and Frank together.... Scott and Jeff too.... i couldn't ask more from this weekend!

Just wait next tour!!!

Garybaldi Zappaddicted

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 10:59 pm 

Awesome!!!!

Thanks to Dweezil, and all the musicians. This must rank in the top concerts that I have been to.

The Mighty Boosh were excellent also.

I never saw Frank perform, apart from on video, but this concert was definetly the next best thing.

And Dweezil signed my No-D glasses from the 200 Motels VHS from years back, and a photo-shoot with Jeff Simmons.

Please bring out a Roundhouse DVD!!!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:40 pm 

I really enjoyed the show as well. I got to see Frank only once as I am too young to see him at his peak in the 60s and 70s. I saw him at Hammersmith Odeon in 82 and Dweezil did a solo there. He was a young boy but he did his turn in front of a full house. Coming back to hear the music live again all these years later was a treat. I agree the Gumbo variations was excellent with a superb saxophone solo by Scheila who I had never heard before. It truly thumped along and had all the grit and bounce of the original. This really got my attention. Gumbo is one of my favorite pieces (I like the instrumental and guitar solo albums) I loved Uncle remus, Excentrifugal Forz (spelling) Montana and my favorite was Dumb all over. "Dumb" I such a hard hitting song - right between the eyes. To cap it all a rendition of "Valley Girl" made me smile from ear to ear. Its such a funny song and I realised I knew all the words. Nice work Moon. I liked Dweezils forays into solo-dom as well. All the songs were excellent and Kept my ears and eyes open for the whole show to take it all in. It was good to see some younger people in the audience as well as the music needs to be passed down otherwise we will all be listening to Ugly Radio in our respective care homes. I felt proud to be there and glad to pay my respects to my favorite musician who is sadly missed. Thank you Dweezil and Family for keeping putting the music out there. Its a big Job you do but you do it magnificently.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 5:37 pm 

Can you believe it I went to the show and loved it.

I went before the end to avoid the rush and missed valley girl - my own fault - gag me with a spoon

My highlight was RDNZL. - I love that song.

I have seen ZPZ 3 times before and to be honest the Apostrophe did not do it for me - yeah it is great and everything, but it was so good it was like listening to the record at home, only louder in a concert hall.

Best gig was at the corn exchange earlier in the year - ledge - as my 10 year old valley girl daughter would say.

Don't get me wrong I'll be following ZPZ as much as I can in the future too

Post subject: 06 November 2010 London UK
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 11:28 pm 

Aw SS, Im so sorry You sound so sad and defeated. I hope you get a good nights sleep and feel a little more positive in the morning. A big hug from way over here mate. xxx