Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:32 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: 11 November 2010: Oslo, NO
PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 3:56 am 
Site Admin

Did you attend the ZPZ show at Sentrum Scene in Oslo, NO?

Dweezil and the band love reading your reviews.

Please do not post in this thread if you did not attend the show.

Mikey
Zappa.com Webmeister

Post subject: Re: 11 November 2010: Oslo, NO
PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 1:11 am 

Thankyou so very much for an awesome show once again. And a special message to Pete Griffin: "Ha det på badet din gamle sjokolade!"

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 9:32 am 

First, compliments on your suit, Dweezil!

At the same time the first note of Gumbo Variations was hit, it was quite obvious that this was going to be a special evening. I mean, the band's skills and the intricacy of the music is on such a high level these days that when you at one occasion struggled with tuning your guitar it was almost a relief.

All your previous shows in Norway so far really have felt like a "best of" collection of Frank's music, even though you almost never have played the same song twice. Strange isn't it. Even so, yesterday's show was a kind of "best of goose-bumps moments" for me. Cruising for burgers, RDNZL, Titties and beer, Inca Roads. Come on! It was almost as if somebody had read somebody's mind. Regarding Inca Roads, that song is a separate musical genre in itself. I will never stop listening to that song. And probably never really get hold of it.

Frank's appearance every now and then felt just right and really reminded everybody why we were even here. Looking around me during the video sequences, I could see a lot of old and young people in deep admiration of his guitar playing and stage presence. On these video's in particular, you could really see how cool he looked, how much control he had and at the same time how vivid and fun his playing was.

I was offered a back-stage pass on my way out of the show. Which I didn't take. All I probably would have come up with would have been "I'm such a great fan of your music" anyway. Walking out of the venue and back home in the snow, I was still so paralyzed by the music that I didn't even realize that I was soaking wet to my bones.

Best regards from "such a great fan", now with a serious flu coming up

PS, and somewhat beside the point: I was in a job interview once and was asked about my general interests. My answer was "Zappa". I could see that my potential employer was writing "Sappa" in his notebook. Upon which I said: "Sorry, I don't think that I'm the right guy for this job" and walked away. True story.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 10:34 am 

This was an excellent show - the best I've seen by ZPZ so far.

Just watching Thomas Nordegg tuning the guitars before the show was a treat, with so much sense of history.

Dweezil's violin tone in Gumbo Variations was incredible. It actually brought a tear to my eye, because it was very similar to Sugarcane Harris, and showed how indebted Zappa was to him in the development of his early soloing style (which Dweezil builds on). And, paradoxically, this thing that was so close to the original also showed Dweezil's almost scientific originality in his attitude to the sounds that you can get out of a guitar.

The show itself had a much better flow this time than before, because of the Apostrophe sequence and because the band is tighter than ever. Ben Thomas is entertaining and acts the songs really well without being stupid about it.

And of course the interplay with the video footage of Frank was amazing throughout, and really lifted the show!

I was happy, and my wife was happy, too!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 3:02 pm 

Hola people! Dark Clothes your so right! Best concert in years. Jesper (18) and his friend was totally blown away. And so was I.
Viva Dweezil!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 5:40 pm 

Dweezil Zappa Norwegian video interview (including FZ 1973 Swedish conceptual continuity clothing)

http://www.nrk.no/nyheter/1.7378676