Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:43 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: 21 June 2006: Phoenix, AZ
PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 7:06 am 
Site Admin

Did you attend this show at the Dodge Theatre in Phoenix?

Post your impressions/photos/reviews here.

Please do not post in this thread if you did not attend this show.

Thanks!

Zappa.com Admin
www.zappa.com

Post subject: Phoenix Concert
PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 9:17 am 

I was at the concert and it was incredible. The failure of the video (movie) equipment was a bummer, but a bigger one for Dweezil and the band members than it was for the crowd.

I will definitely attend if they come again next year.

Sheila plays a REAL mean sax, btw.

One of the best concerts that I've ever attended.

I would highly recommend anyone that has a chance to catch this group on tour to do so.

Dweezil, you are certainly doing your old man justice. I had the pleasure of seeing Frank live back in the 80's and going to the concert brought back some fond memories. You've put together an awesome band, and you work together very well.

Good work bud!
(':)')
Kevin O'Connor
Tempe AZ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 4:29 pm 

I am sure I have the order mucked up, but the set list was phenominal...

FLORENTINE POGEN
INCA ROADS
KING KONG
MONTANA
PENGUIN IN BONDAGE-
PYGMY TWYLYTE
VILLAGE OF THE SUN
BLACK PAGE
YELLOW SNOW
ST. ALPHONSO’S PANCAKE BREAKFAST
MONTANA
COSMIK DEBRIS
CHEEPNIS
CAMARILLO BRILLO
MORE TROUBLE EVERY DAY
EAT THAT QUESTION
I’M THE SLIME
HUNGRY FREAKS DADDY
PEACHES EN REGALIA
ZOMBY WOOF

I hope I did not miss anything or get any wrong.

Dweezil - THANKS for doing this show. PLEASE come back to PHX again, and again. 3rd row seats last night and I will be grinning for days. Daddy Frank would be proud. Napoleon is the MAN - Still hits everything dead on. IMPRESSIVE.

Bill in Phoenix

Post subject: Oops
PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 4:41 pm 

After reviewing some of the other show set lists on this site I completely overlooked a few....w/ the "one armed Bozzio" >amazing<

Im So Cute
Tryin To Grow A Chin
Punky's Whips

Post subject: Sometimes, dreams come true.
PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 7:22 pm 

I've seen thousands of shows in the last 20 years that I've been going to concerts and by far, this was the best concert I have ever attended.

I've been a fan of Frank's music for 25 years now (thanks Dr. Demento!) and was never able to attend a show when Frank was alive. This is definitely the next best thing, maybe even as good. In addition, it became a gathering point for my circle of friends, with folks not seen since high-school coming together for one big reunion around Frank. So, from every last one of my friends as well as myself: Thanks to Dweezil, the band and guests. You've made my year.

Let me second the kudos to Sheila: I think I'm in love. And: a one-armed Terry Bozio is worth 1000 Def Leppards!

Here's to Zappa Plays Zappa not only becoming a yearly tradition, but a multi-generational one. I hope someday to take my (future) grandson to a Zappa Plays Zappa show.

Wow. Thanks again for this you guys.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 8:57 pm 

Best. Show. Ever.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 9:04 pm 

Phoenix, AZ's setlist approximate:

Imaginary Diseases
Hungry Freaks, Daddy
Let's Make the Water Turn Black
Florentine Pogen
Pygmy Twylyte
The Idiot Bastard Son
Cheepnis
King Kong (w/Filthy Habits)
Don't Eat the Yellow Snow
St. Alfonzo's Pancake Breakfast
Father O'blivion
Inca Roads
Eat That Question
I'm So Cute
Tryin' to Grow a Chin
Punky's Whips
The Black Page #1
The Black Page #2
Peaches en Regalia
Montana
Village of the Sun
Echidna's Arf (of You)
Zomby Woof
Chunga's Revenge Interrupted
Orange County Lumber Truck
More Trouble Every Day

I'll have to track down a bootleg to confirm. It was slightly different than what they've played previous night. Notably Eat That Question.

Post subject: Phoenix Show--Great!!
PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 8:37 pm 

Thanks Dweezil & Co. for the great show and we hope you keep your promise to do this yearly!

Have seen many Frank's concerts at Celebrity Theater and I enjoyed this as much as any. A great set list with lots of variety, all rocked out with an edge. And, one never knew what was coming next. Found myself smiling and laughing a lot, especially during the Bozzio stuff, buy hey, concerts should be fun too! The musicianship of the band was amazing, especially given the obvious difficulty of the material.

Hope a concert DVD is planned.

Post subject: Phoenix Show
PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 3:34 pm 

3 hours of great music by a very talented group of people...

Having Frank as the opening act was a great idea, pity it didn't work...

Ecellent job by Dweezil...

Napoleon was all over the place, except when the band took the stage...

Perhaps he should consider calling himself 'Nap' Murphy Brock...

Terry was great, only wish we saw and heard more of him and his other arm...

Steve was amazing, as always...

However...

Having seen quite a few shows by Frank when I lived in NY, This one was on par with the one at the Nassau Veterans Memorial Coliseum in Uniondale...

The sound was murky at both shows during the vocals...

My only other complaint is that they didn't play Watermelon in an Easter Hay, which is my favorite song. Seeing that Frank left that song for only Dweezil to play, I was a bit disappointed...

All in all, I am happy that Dweezil is doing this and wish him the best of luck on this tour, and on any future tours...

Post subject: Hands down, the best musical experience Ive ever had!
PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 12:26 am 

Despite the minor technical annoyance, this turned out to be a night that I will treasure for the rest of my life. I have to admit, I was a little skeptical, I was thoroughly and totally unprepared for what I witnessed.

First, I must say that the holding aloft of beers, and smoking of hash at a zappa show is akin to farting in church.

Musically, I cant even begin to express my gratitude to Dweezil, Ahmet and the ZFT for doing this. I hope that it does indeed become an annual tradition, and that I too can take my grand children to a zappa show.

Dweezil, Your heart was most certainly in the right place, and you are surely doing your father's legacy much justice.

I discovered Frank at the unfashionably late hour of 1989. I only regret in life that I never got to see Frank play. This was as close to it as we will ever get, and I dont think it was too far off the mark.

I cant say much more about this show without repeating everythng that was already said, suffice to say that this show restoked my already firey passion for all music Frank Zappa.

Thanks again to the Zappa Family Trust for not betraying the legacy and Trust bestowed upon you.
Even better than that, it was a family reunion of sorts for me, seeing friends not seen in some time, and some that were previously estranged.

Thanks for making this possible Frank!

Post subject: Phoenix show, June 21 - Awesome!
PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 3:00 am 

Dweezil - just wanted to thank you for a fantastic show. There were times I would swear that Frank was playing. He would have been very proud of you. Hell, he undoubtedly is.

My daughter was thrilled I took her to this show. We have been swapping tunes for a while and she said that your's was musically the most amazing show she had ever been to. We are still talking about how great it was.

Too bad about the video, it was cool while it lasted. Perhaps next visit we'll get to see it all.

Keep up the great work!

Post subject: Re: 21 June 2006: Phoenix, AZ
PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 4:51 am 

admin wrote:
Did you attend this show at the Dodge Theatre in Phoenix? yes

Post your impressions/photos/reviews here.

Please do not post in this thread if you did not attend this show.

Thanks!

Zappa.com Admin
www.zappa.com

Wow - am I too late to get in acomment of the show? It took me awhile to find this site and log on but dweezil and the band were very good - I know the video equipment went out but they played through it like true professionals - I think it is a very touching and admirable quality dweezil has for embarking on this tour to play his father's music - incredible to see and hear let alone be able to be in the audience - I saw frank four times and the most incredible song dweezil and the band played was zomby woof - those guys really tore it up what a great jam. Thank you really I am gald I made the 100+ mile drive to see this great display of musicianship. And at the end of the show dweezil hung around and signed autographs, shook hands, talked - who does that these days? I saw Jeff Beck a couple of months beofre this show and it was great but when it was over - he was outta there - gone - keep it up and make a record, right?

Post subject: Phoenix show
PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 5:57 pm 

My wife and I had the great fortune to be invited to the show by Laurie and Mike "Cheepnis" Slusher (cheepnis@cheepnis.com). We had seen Frank several times in the 80s, and his concerts were always our favorites.
Dweezil and the band did such a fine job that all of their future concerts are on our must-see list (a very short list indeed). He certainly did Frank's music justice, and displayed an extraordinary talent of his own. Above all, that band was tight. That takes some doing; they really were up to the signature Zappa standards.
Terry Bozio's vocals added a real blast from the past, as without him songs like "Tryin' to grow a chin" and "Punky's Whips" would not have been the same. Too bad he had a busted wing. And Steve Vai? Forget about it! (<Extraordinarily positive expression, BTW). Dweezil seemed to give Stevie the stage when he came on, even though IMHO they are both among the top guitar players in the world. I had never heard of or seen anyone play a guitar with their TONGUE like Steve did.
Napoleon Murphy Brock's vocals were the icing on the cake, and I would have liked to hear him cover some of the songs originally done by Ray White. Maybe next time?
Looking forward to the next show. Thank you, Dweezil et al.