Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sun Oct 26, 2014 7:01 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: 1 December 2010: San Francisco, CA
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:33 am 
Site Admin

Did you attend the ZPZ show at the Warfield in San Francisco, CA?

Dweezil and the band love reading your reviews.

Please do not post in this thread if you did not attend the show.

Mikey
Zappa.com Webmeister

Post subject: Re: 1 December 2010: San Francisco, CA
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 6:22 pm 

This was the fourth ZPZ show for me and as usual the band really put out, just played their asses off. Hearing the Apostrophe album live was such a treat. Ben did an awsome and funny job with the vocals, he really fits in well with the band. Stink foot was hilarious. Dynamo hum was really great live. They played one of my very favorites- Inca roads too. On the down side the sound was pretty bad. There was a ton of bass on the vocals so it was hard to understand the lyrics. It got stupid loud towards the end of the show so it just sounded like a big blob of sound. The other three ZPZ shows I saw had pretty good sound so I'm not sure what happened here, maybe the sound guy is going deaf (like 99% of sound guys). We were sitting front row balcony in the middle which I would have thought would be a good spot for sound.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 6:47 pm 

Dweezil & Crew,

The show at the Warfield last night was awesome as usual. How nice to hear "Apostrophe" in it's entirety, it couldn't have been done better. "Yellow snow" was much fun. What a special treat to see your Fathers exuberant leads and vocals on "Cosmic Debris" and more serious solo on "Inca Roads" I can't say enough about the show, the band was excellent and Dweezil your guitar was perfect!! It started for me long ago when I saw Frank at Berkeley, and then again two years ago when I saw you at the very same venue, that night I couldn't believe what I was seeing, I noticed people around me seemingly thinking the same thing, amazed at what they were seeing. Just like last night, some people were hooting and hollering, others (like me) were sitting forward with their elbows on their knees, chin in their hands watching intently, or should I say intensely. I noticed lots of younger people at the show last night, it's great that you are able to bring your Fathers music to them, and certainly you know that you are making so many old guys (like me) so very happy. Once again Dweezil, your guitar work is really amazing, I close my eyes and all the years melt away and Frank is there!!! As cheesy as it may sound, this is the perfect example. $40 for tickets, $20 to park, experiencing something you thought was gone forever...PRICELESS. I'm still looking forward to the day you are able to play "Watermellon in easter hay" I know you've had countless requests, I heard it called out at Berkeley, I think you said that you couldn't play that one yet as your "head might explode" that's understandable, it's such a beautiful instrumental. Last year in Santa Rosa we saw you play "Outside now" your solo was so touching, it seemed to stir up some emotions in you, I'm sure you are aware that it wasn't just you, I know I saw some fogged up glasses after that one. The day you play "Watermellon" there might not be a dry eye in the house...how wonderful, I can't wait.

Thank you Dweezil & band for making so many people feel so good.

Last edited by Ducati on Fri Dec 03, 2010 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 6:59 pm 

Absolutely incredible show! Thanks Dweezil, for putting together this brilliant group of top notch musicians and sharing your Dad's music with us.
@ ampedup, I was in the middle of the second row of the second tier of the balcony. Really great seats as well. I agree that the sound wasn't as good as it could have been. Yes, the lyrics were sometimes hard to understand, but apart from that, the music was amazing! The energy and almost note for note perfection...if you closed your eyes, it could have been Frank himself up there, playing his heart out!
The dude that wandered onto the stage, Dweezil handled that with humour and grace. Then he brought the house down when he invited young "Alex" up on stage and handed him his guitar! (Was that Frank's guitar or a replica?) Alex, and the rest of the audience, will never forget that moment! ...and the kid was a decent guitar player!
I loved seeing Frank onscreen and would have liked to have seen more of that. Not necessarily him "playing" with the band but photos of him and the Mothers and even some of the Zappa family would have added to the experience. Perhaps next time?
Last night was a magical performance and I will be definitely watching for, and eagerly awaiting, the next tour!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:22 pm 

have a great show~

Last edited by dcf_OC on Fri Dec 03, 2010 2:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:57 pm 

Hey Dweezil & company.......THANKS so very much for an excellent show @ the Warfield last night.
It amazes me but you just keep getting better & better. The Warfield is a pretty good venue, I had no problems with the sound/vocals beeing "muddled". We were in the 2nd row upper loge stage left ( Jamie's side). It sounded very good to all of us.The only draw back I had was the sight lines to the screen & I could not see Chris Norton except his sock cover feet. BTW he is an awesome addition to the band. Everyone was amazing & Ben has really come into his own "channeling" Frank's vocals. It is such a pleasure to see all of you having so much fun & enjoyment playing Frank's music. PLEASE keep coming back as often as you can. Take care & have a great rest-o-tour & upcoming holiday!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 2:43 am 

Hi All,
I just read the other posts and have to say I was up front next to "Alex the budding guitarist" and the sound was great all night in every respect.
Thank you soooo much Dweezil for doing what you do with Frank's music. I have SO enjoyed every show I've attended.
I found myself having to internally pull myself together and not cry more than once watching Frank up there on the screen.
I had really wanted to bring my oldest granddaughter to the show. She's twelve and familiar with much of Frank's music. She would have missed three total days of school since she was already going to miss Friday for other reasons and we live several hours north of S.F. and it was a big drive and she would have missed Wend. and Thurs. She loves City of Tiny Lights!
I loved the warmth and generosity Dweezil (and Pat!) showed the young boys in the audience!
Thanks to Dweezil and the fantastic band! We'll be there next time.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 4:33 pm 

Loved seeing Gumbo performed live, as well as Inca Roads, and of course the Apostrophe album. My wife nearly cried when Frank appeared for Cosmic Debris. Tittles and Beer was a scream, and Alex was a gem. I know that the band tries to copy the songs off the albums as closely as possible, but I have to say that I like how they put their own stamp on Dinah Moe Hum and made that song theirs. Great night at the Warfield, (except for the old guy who fainted on the floor - hope he made it home okay). I look forward to the next tour.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 4:43 pm 

WOW! What a great show! Dweezil you do your dad mighty proud! We were at the tables in the back of the main floor and the sound was excellent back there, definitely better than right in front. The video interaction with Frank was very cool too...well played, gave me some shivers! Just an excellent show played by fantastic musicians--can't wait for you to come around again!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 7:38 pm 

Dweezil your entire context is a monument to your father's contributions to the world. I felt the presence of Frank Vincent Zappa in the Warfield and I know he was really playing the music we saw so brilliantly projected on that huge screen.

Your bringing the young boy on stage, giving him your guitar and letting him have that HUGE MOMENT on stage brought tears to my eyes.

I brought a very skeptical friend to the concert. He told me "It better be worth the money." After the concert he was like insisting we drive to L.A. to watch your shows down there.

I also brought 3 more people who had heard that name, "Zappa" but had no freaking idea of what to expect. If I had put a Brazil Nut on their throats, their chins would have cracked them when you did your first guitar lick. Whoooo!

You, Dweezil, are the champion your father must have dreamed of; not for his own sake and his own reputation. You are a man who clearly loves people, loves great music, has the talent to create a balls-out band that will give a great show and make a deeper impact on people's lives than the momentary air disturbances created by human and musical devices alone. What greater gift could a father have?

There is no level of "thank you" I can express that does justice to the good you bring to those who hear your music and genius.
All I can do- -and all I will do is continue to be devoted to the vast majority of tenets that Frank Vincent Zappa stood for and to let people know that FZLO (Frank Zappa Lives On) in the hearts and minds of us who heard Freak Out the week it hit the stores and the young, like the guitar player whose life you forever changed for the better on stage, December 1, 2010.

I remain Peter Hymans
Gridley , California

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:30 pm 

If anyone has any pictures of the Warfiled show- please post if possible -THANKS!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 2:59 am 

3rd ZPZ show for me.

it's mostly been said by the previous reviewers, but wanted to add my sincerest thanks to dweezil for all his hard work putting this show together.

as a 10 year old learning guitar in ireland my guitar teacher asked me if i'd ever heard of frank zappa. i hadn't, and he sat me down and watched as i listened to 'billy the mountain' and could probably tell that my life would never be the same again, much like young alex's at the show after playing on stage with the band - what an incredibly kind gesture that was.

i never did get to see frank play (not sure he ever played ireland actually), so ZPZ is a real treat for me.

so, dweezil - thanks. sincerely. you're doing much more than simply playing your dad's music with awesome musicians - you're truly doing good in this world.

i too cannot wait for the day you guys bust out 'watermelon in easter hay' :)