Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:14 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: 11 December 2010: Chicago, IL
PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 3:44 am 
Site Admin

Did you attend the ZPZ show at Congress Theater in Chicago, IL?

Dweezil and the band love reading your reviews.

Please do not post in this thread if you did not attend the show.

Mikey
Zappa.com Webmeister

Post subject: Re: 11 December 2010: Chicago, IL
PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 5:01 pm 

I took my 4 sons, ages 14 through 20 and "adopted" daughter - and sat about 4 rows up from center balcony. Great seats, as I saw ZPZ from up close the past 4 times. The concert had the proper effect, as the boys said almost nothing for 2 hours after the show.

Ben's vocal was lost in the mix most of the night, but was better after the first or second tune. For anyone that knew the words, it was not a problem. RDUNZL and Baby Snakes were highlights - and Sheila's opening sax number was wonderful !! Almost 3 hours of playing, with no stopping save for a great Drum solo. I saw very few people get up to get a drink or mill around - typical jaw-dropping reactions all around... I talked with several that said this was their first Zappa concert - and would not be their last.

One note for Dweezil - I ended up coming to Chicago when I found out Indianapolis was a 21 and over venue. If you are trying to attract a multi-generational audience, do not restrict kids from attending! I am devoted, and so drove the extra 3 hours to Chicago - but others would probably not go that far...

Music is the best - you keep touring and I'll keep coming !!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:56 pm 

Amazing show. Can't stop smiling. Rumors abounded before the show; George Duke, maybe Moon, egads I even heard someone say that Flo & Eddie would appear. Nope, just ZPZ, one of the finest bands you'll ever hear. They're every bit as tight as any of Frank's lineups. This was the 1st time I saw Ben and Chris. They were outstanding. They bring such a sense of musical joy with them. Sheila was great as usual. I'm sure you can find a setlist out there, so I won't bother. The Band just gets better and better. The venue was pretty rank though. A few years ago it was the Lyric Opera House and now the Congress? It's a pit. I saw Frank at good & bad places too, but this was pretty low. So Dweezil, thanks again for an amazing show. I hope you can hook up into a better theater next time; one better suited to showcase Frank's work.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 4:39 pm 

Wonderful to hear,
I am looking forward to being at yet another ZPZ for My 3rd time.
I was at the the first Show in Dallas that was so amazing My Jaw Dropped to the floor for the whole show.
The Second show in Dallas, I was lucky enough to meet Dweezel after the show and was truly humbled by His Humbleness.
I've seen Frank at least 9 times and am delighted that Dweezil iz carrying on His music to a newer generation!

Frank, really had a Love Affair with Texas and am looking forward to seeing ZPZ, perhaps in Austin, Dallas & Houston!

P.S. The 2007 Zappa Plays Zappa DVD aired on Our Public Television Station last week in DFW.
!!!!!FRANK WOULD BE VERY PROUD!!!!!

Thanks for listening,
JZ