Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 3:10 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: 22 June 2006: Anaheim, CA
PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 5:41 am 
Site Admin

Did you attend this show at the House Of Blues in Anaheim?

Post your impressions/photos/reviews here.

Please do not post in this thread if you did not attend this show.

Thanks!

Zappa.com Admin
www.zappa.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 1:31 pm 

Could it have been any better than Vegas? Some how, some way it did.

YOU GUYS WERE OUTRAGOUS! What a show! All I can say is Thank

you for sharing it with us.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 3:17 pm 

Well.a great big hairy thing fell on orange county last night! No, it wasn't Dweezils hairy chest, but a whole lumber truck full of killer musicians! A great event! A great show, over 3 hours! It was really nice to see the whole Zappa family at this one,the after party must have been fun. I can't review the show other than to say that it was a huge set list, a once in a lifetime chance to hear Franks music again, and a totally satisfying experience. Dweezil and Co. ROCKED! Thanks go out to everyone involved!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 3:23 pm 

The venue sucked and hey thank for starting the show and hour early..It stated on the website doors at 7 show @8:30 well I arrived by 7.45 to have missed quite a bit of music!!!! Had to stand in the back of the balcony to watch this on a TV screen....So many peole were pissed about that..
I mean I am not a rich person and to spend $60 bucks to watch this on a TV screen is bullshit....Why not play at the Grove of anahem where everyone can see????My brorther and I left after 5-6 songs..Horrible experince, probably the worst show I have ever been to....Very dissapointing..I was so excited to see this show and to have to watch on a blurry TV...come on.....I loves frank's music so much and to be able to see it live with ex and great muscians performing it was going to be great, or so I thought....Highly dissapointing...

waste of money..now I'm sure the people who where on the floor had a great time.....Oh yeah, you had to wait in a line just to get on the floor, the line was big..and you had to wait outside in it..so you where missing songs just to maybe get on the floor......Very bad booking...
Hopefully they come back to southern CA and play a better venue?????

Post subject: HOB Show Anahiem
PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 4:28 pm 

This was my first visit to the HOB Disney local. I must agree as well that the venue is sorely lacking in creature comforts, and I would love to see the same show @ the Grove,(My favorite), however what the facility is lacking was MORE than made up for in the show Quantity, Quality and emotional provocation. To hear the voices of Napoleon Murphy Brock & Terry Bozzio coupled with the cosmic and continual improvational jaw dropping lead riffs from Dweezil & Steve it was as if I had gone back in time to grasp the past by the handful and thrust it into the future of progressive rock.
To sum it up... It was an experience that will never be duplicated
Thanks so much.
And a special thanks to Tommy & Brian for the tickets

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 5:27 pm 

This was an excellent show. There was no video footage probably due to the small venue. Steve Vai was kind enough to sign my Them or Us CD cover. (hope I wasn't bugging him.) Also met Nappy before the show. That man has the energy of a 20 year old! Poor Terry Ted in his see through shirt had to sing Im so Cute, Tryin to grow a Chin and Punky's Whips due to his torn muscle. But he is a trooper and an excellent performer. Joe Travers did an wonderful job on drums. Aaron, Pete, Jamie, Billy, and Scheila were all amazing. I mean, their individual solo's were AMAZING! And just to think that they are not only that good in their improv's but to learn FZ's music with such authenticity and intensity is mind blowing. Steve came out with his usual punishment of his guitar (I don't think it even went out of tune!!) and his soloing with Dweezil was amazing. And Dweezil....what can i say, but THANK YOU!! As countless others before me at this show and other shows said, PLEASE make this a yearly ritual in celebration of the greatest composer I can think of. So, Thank You to ZTF, Dweezil, Gail, Ahmet, Diva, Moon, Joe, Aaron, Jamie, Billy, Pete, Scheila (YOU ROCK!), Steve, Terry, Nappy and most of all FRANK!!!!!!!! See you tonight at the Wiltern. My ears are STILL ringing, but ringing with the greatest music they can be blessed with. THE PRESENT DAY COMPOSER REFUSES TO DIE!!!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 7:19 pm 

Hi ! I am so SORRY that you did not enjoy the experience of the Anaheim concert! Really, I feel for you ! I am from Quebec City (Canada). I paid 100$ for my tickets, and I would have paid more if the tickets I got would have been more expensive ! I stand in line outside for an hour, the concert was about 3 hours, so I was standing on 4" high heels shoes for like 4 hours altogether. My feet were hurting like you wouldn't believe, but yet, I would have stand all night long if the show would have been longer ! I didn't mind at all the feet and back pain, neither the price of the tickets. My ears are still tingling because it was so loud... it I ever turn deaf from it, then it will have been worthwile !The sax girl was kicking ass big time ! Steve Vai, Napoleon, Terry Bozzio (poor him! his bruised was so big !) and super Dweezil... It was a dream come true for me to attend this concert ! A DREAM COME TRUE !!! For me, this was the concert of the century !!! :o)))) I was surprised that if the goal of the Tour is to get new people acquainted with Zappa, then why were there not more "commercial" (if I may say) stuff, like "Sheik Yer Bouti" or "Joe's Garage" albums, whose have very known songs. I think that these 2 albums I just mentionned have very catchy songs that would make new people interested in looking further into Zappa's entire work.

I give this concert TWO THUMBS UP !!!

-Karolyn Verville
www.saxuet.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 8:28 pm 

Also my first visit to HOB Anahiem. Probably my last. SRO on the balcony. very tough to see the band. That sucked. We also missed the first 2 songs, I also would have loved to see the old Frank video footage. Having said that, the show was great, It was a pleasure to hear Zappa's music played live again. Dweezil has done a great job assembling a top notch group of musicians. (I'd expect nothing less) Sound quality was good, although I thought Dweezils guitar was a bit burried in the mix. Nice set list, although I was kind of expecting to hear "Son of Orange County" :wink: . Thanks Dweezil!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 9:03 pm 

This was my 2nd time at the HOB in Anaheim (I saw Steve Vai there a couple years ago) and the place reminds me of someone's garage with a balcony. It's not the most comfortable venue for the patrons. That being said, the show was a joyfully mind-boggling experience. My friend and his wife came to the show, and after subjecting him to my FZ collection for the last 20 years with only a slight bit of approval on his part, I think he finally understands what I've been raving about.
The band is just fantastic, and so amazingly talented. They played all of Frank's music with such joy and intensity, I got goosebumps several times throughout the show (could it have been from my body sweating then cooling from the heat up in the balcony). Most memorable for me was Steve Vai and the band playing The Black Page. Inca Roads was also amazing. Hell, the whole set was a hoot!

Post subject: Holy Toledo!!!
PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 11:27 pm 

I gladly drove down from the SF/ Bay area to catch the Anaheim show last night - (just got home)

WHAT A SHOW!!
I was one of the fortunate ones on the floor - dead center- 3 hours+!!!
Soaking in all of that wonderful music was fantastic.

Where do I start??
First with a thank you to Dweezil- I felt so proud to be apart of this thing-
like I was part of a club that we all belong to because we all understand that 'Zappa- thing'. I shook hands with Aaron Arntz after the show and said that "You guys really brought it back to life for me" and thanked him...

Scheila-- ooohmygod. You're an animal! - and a total fox!!
I was really diggin' how you were boppin' to the music while at the same time blazing out on the sax!

I gotta say - the part that got to me was when Steve Vai and crew played Peaches - Like most of us, I've heard that song a million times - but the vibe that the band was giving- and the perfect live mix gave me goose bumps and I swelled with tears. - That one just spoke to me last night.

Terry was a top-notch frontman last night - injury aside, I REALLY enjoyed him fronting the band- SO FUN!

King Kong was another highlight. The hand signals - like dad used to do-
with the audience - THAT was what I always invisioned an FZ show to be like. I never saw the mighty one in concert-- I was only 15 his last time out in the states (1988)
This may sound a bit corny - and I'm not a mystic kind-of-a guy BUT I felt him last night. oh yea.

Thank You DZ.
The eyebrows and the goosebumps were very present last night.

~Toledo Rob

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 4:08 am 

I just got home about an hour ago. Me and 5 friends drove down from Carson City, Nevada to catch this show and it was nothing short of AMAZING. Never was able to see Frank live because I was 11 when he passed... But Ive been ritualistically listening to the genius that is him since I was 6 thanks my dad!

People bitching about the venue, get over it. I was completely floored by the music and the performance. They could have played in a crappy dive bar and I still would have been blown away.

Only things I was even remotely bummed about was Terry not being able to play behind the kit, but even with and injury like that the man was a freaking mad man on the mic!!!! The other was a few songs cut from the set. Im guessing there was a curfew at 11??? Oh well... 3 solid hours of mind blowing music.. I would go as far to say it was a spiritual event!!!!!! Didnt play Camarillo Brillo, really wanted to here that one live. But they definitely made up for it playing every other song that I really wanted to hear.

The amount of talent that was on the stage blew me away. Especially Scheila Gonzalez. I was thinking she was in her mid 20;s at the most. Then I got home and looked here up online.......HOLY CRAP SHES SMOKIN IN EVERY WAY!!! Mind blowing performance from her all around. Every one did an unbelievable job. Thanks Dweezil and every one else for pulling this together. Keep it going!!!!!!!

There where way too many "highlights" as far as songs go... It was a giant block of SHRED!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 4:37 am 

my summary...

music...unbelieveable!
execution...outrageous!
attitude of band...perfect!
venue...unprepared for zappa freaks!

ok...it was way crowded...what did you expect?
i'm not fond of sweating profusely with a thousand old farts (i'm one of them), but this was worth every minute of it! yes, the music started early, but the ticket DID say GENERAL ADMISSION. for those who arrived at 7:45 to see a sold out concert at 8:30, i suggest you plan better next time. i think it was my mother who told me about the early bird. any venue can suck, but i'd bet you didn't hear a peep out of anyone who had a semi-decent spot! come on now, if you walk out on a concert like that, no matter how poor the seat is, you probably aren't a very happy person anyway. christ, if i could see nothing (which for half of the night was the case) i could just close my eyes and HEAR the most amazing live music i've experienced in decades!

scheila rocks!

t love

Post subject: los angeles show because it's late and i gottta get up to go
PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 7:46 am 

Dateline los angeles, 12:08am, june 23, 2006

Curt-

I know robert has only a passing interest in zappa but man, I just came home from a show that entered my top 10 alltime (maybe top 5) shows.

If he has half an interest, he's gotta cop a ticket because I know for a fact, he ain't ever seen musicians go off like this and go off on such wonderful music.

3 solid hours without a break and not for a second did it feel long or tedious.

I feel like I just snorted an 8 ball.

This is far far far from just going out and "covering" zappa's songs.

Dweezil has made a "creation" with this band and this presentation of frank's music has to be seen to understand what I mean.

A creation in that, someone who never got it before will get it now and want more.

Vai, bozzio, napoleon.....duh...... The band- all top players and the way the music is presented, they make it their own. again, nothing like just covering frank's music.

Man, anybody in los angeles tonight who was at any other show just blew an opportunity of a lifetime (sorta because methinks dweezil, et al have found the vehicle to present frank posthumously and I'm willing to bet there will be a rediscovery and new appreciation for his body of work via more shows of this nature).

The show in sf is the last of the tour and after seeing the show tonight at the wiltern, I'm so fucking glad I'm flying up later today to see the warfield show.

Hasta in about 16 hours dude!!!!!!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 5:10 pm 

Ok, I agree that the HOB sucks. And I will never go there again because of this,but I was happy to be in the room to hear it.If you got ears, you gotta listen. I am looking forward to buying the dvd because then I can see Terry kick ass and the duet with Frank ( I was not looking forward to crying) it will be a like seeing it with a new perspective. Sometimes, you have to be happy with what you have to be happy with.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 5:47 pm 

I agree..The MUSIC was great..But I was so pissed that I had to watch this on a TV screen..I left....Had I known the show was going to start early I would have arrived earlier.( i have to work ya know)..Don't go judging me because I left I have that right ..dick.....oh well..I have plenty of shows from this tour already to enjoy, most of them sound way better than what we heard at the HOB that night....Listen to the beacon or Towe theatre show you will know what I mean....Plus I knew terry was not playing and that was the most deciding factor in leaving..

I hope it comes around again but to the The Grove instead...