Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 4:05 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: 16 December 2010: Albany, NY
PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 1:42 am 
Site Admin

Did you attend the ZPZ show at The Egg in Albany, NY?

Dweezil and the band love reading your reviews.

Please do not post in this thread if you did not attend the show.

Mikey
Zappa.com Webmeister

Post subject: Re: 16 December 2010: Albany, NY
PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 1:41 pm 

In the words of FZ's Rosetta "They are pretty good musicians". To pull off Zappa music you have to be, at the minimal, pretty good. The apple didn't fall far from the tree when it comes to recruiting talented and versatile performers. This show is champagne for the senses !!!

I should've (had to have one apostrophe in my review) prefaced this review saying this is not a cover show. This is a legacy event. Dweezil was spot on with the intricate guitar notes, nailing everything from St Alfonzo's to Apostrophe. Superb.

Ben Thomas carried a heavy load of Frank's vocals with aplomb. He did it with flair and conviction. tip my hat.

Frank once said ," where are all the good drummers ? " Joe Travers present.

RDNZL was the litmus test for three of the troupe. Scheila on sax, Jamie on guitar, and Billy on vibes sparked the litmus paper on fire. Consecutive and revolving solos by these three wowed the crowd. My Zappa deprived brother-in-law , hearing Zappa music for the first time declared he was converted. This always puts a smile on my face when that happens.

My son had to miss the show because he lay in an infirmary at school , he knows this show would have been good medicine. I can only hope that Dweezil will put together another tour like this soon. Applause

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 2:55 pm 

WOW!....what a cool show!!...not that I didn't expect one, but isn't nice to go to a show these days with high expectations, and have them EXCEEDED!!? As serious as Frank was about his music, he also had great (warped) sense of humor and DZ held up those standards quite well. The "ladies dance" was interesting.....'specially since Frank was never known for his dance hits. Good luck with that quilt! The band sounded wonderful and the playing was exceptional! Besides, how many acts play for over 2 1/2 hours??!! I think the band has come together even more than the last stop thru Albany. (And THANKS VERY MUCH for coming back!) Obviously there is a fan base here. (Sold out show, SRO), so I would EXPECT to see the band back...SOON! I was a bit skeptical on the "video interaction" thing, but was amazed as to how cool it turned out!.....there is NO EASY way to do that. You have to just keep playing along with the video until it gels....a lot of work for the band during rehearsals and live, but they pulled it off with ease. I saw on some of the other show reviews, that people couldn't stop grinning.....I found myself in the same situation!... I felt like the Cheshire Cat! Hope the last few shows go well and I want to wish the best of the holiday season to the band and all the Zappa family!...THANKS!!!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 7:13 pm 

The highlight of the night had to be when Mr. Zappa invited Albany's finest ladies in attendance to the stage for a dance off. As the beasts hurried down the aisles, many in full stride, I was reminded of a National Geographic program that I once saw where a gaggle of hippos suddenly began porpoising towards a group of unsuspecting Maasai who were fishing in a nearby canoe.

Like the Massai, the faces on each member of the band turned to sheer horror as they watched the stage floor buckling from underneath them and wisely sought cover behind amps, stacks and other large equipment. Unfortunately for them, these mingers were relentless. With tight shirts and jeans barely able to contain the rolling blubber and gunts beneath them, the vixens attacked like dogs in heat. No amount of musicianship was enough to put out the fire.

Realizing what he had done, Mr. Zappa tried to bring a quick end to the song, hoping to quell the stampede, but the ladies were having none of it. They shamelessly groped and prodded the musicians, treating them like donkey show putas in a Tijuana cantina. No orifice was left unprobed.

While I very much enjoyed the spectacle, I am concerned that post traumatic stress disorder may prevent the return of ZPZ anywhere within a 100 miles radius of Albany. If you do return, Mr. Zappa, I hope you have learned a valuable lesson last night - DO NOT MESS WITH WILD ANIMALS!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:21 pm 

Excellent show, indeed. I have to agree with Wookie; I don't think that Dweezil expected the herd of heffers that got up there! It was fascinating for a few minutes, but needed to end more quickly than he was able to control. The stage was buckling, for sure.

This show is a must see. We live in fantastic times. Technology allowed his dad to be playing along with his son on the big screen and I was completely blown away. I've been to countless concerts an have seen varying artists, but no other show comes close to this experience. To be able to witness the pride in Dweezil's eyes and his playing when Frank was up there doing his leads... it was very touching.

If you missed this tour, pray they extend it or give it another go around. I cannot wait for the DVD...