Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:48 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: 17 December 2010: New York, NY
PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 11:05 am 
Site Admin

Did you attend the ZPZ show at The Beacon Theatre in New York, NY?

Dweezil and the band love reading your reviews.

Please do not post in this thread if you did not attend the show.

Mikey
Zappa.com Webmeister

Post subject: Re: 17 December 2010: New York, NY
PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 3:30 pm 

hey- 52 year old ,saw Frank 3 times in nY. Went to the show last night with my 19 and 23 year old sons who were raised on Frank.

We all really enjoyed the show.The video with Frank was awesome and I enjoyed watching Dweezil watch and play with Frank.The band is tight and the sound is always good at the beacon.
Apostrophe was always one of my favorites and the band did a really nice job recreating it....

No big deal,but I would have liked to see Dweezil switch guitars a bit.....

thanks peace

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 8:16 pm 

While New York always seems to bring the best , the band was on fire . The ending song "Muffin Man " , as Dweezil steps aside and Frank takes an amazing solo , surreal moment . My favorite place to see any show the Beacon , allot of juice from the crowd , and the sight lines from the balcony were perfect . Sorry to hear Captain Beefheart had passed away day of the show , Dweezil dedicated "Willie the Pimp " to him .

1. The Gumbo Variations
2. Apostrophe album in its entirety
2. Don't Eat The Yellow Snow
3. Nanook Rubs It
4. St. Alphonzo's Pancake Breakfast
5. Father O'Blivion
6. Cosmik Debris
(with Frank video)
7. Excentrifugal Forz
8. Apostrophe
9. Uncle Remus
10. Stinkfoot
11. RDNZL
12. Drum Solo
13. City Of Tiny Lights
14. Dumb All Over
(with Frank video)
15. I Promise Not To Come In Your Mouth
Encore:
16. Willie The Pimp (dedicated to Captain Beefheart who died day of show)
17. Baby Snakes
18. Chrissy Puked Twice (Titties 'n beer)
19. Muffin Man Play

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 9:45 pm 

What a fantastic show, great selection of music, a pleasure to hear Apostrophe from start to finish. My favorite part of the show was the guitar solo with Frank and Dweezil.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 10:00 pm 

Opening with the Gumbo Variations was fantastic, as was the whole show, set list, and projections of FZ.

I have seen FZ many times and this is the third tour that I've seen Zappa plays Zappa - let this music always live.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 10:19 pm 

Band gets better with each passing year
great living tribute, always an enjoyable show
like the individual solos, great players all
wonderful percussion section
like the dual lead guitars
Dumb All Over - nice
our hope is that you can keep it going

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 12:26 am 

Another quality ZPZ show. As stated earlier Dweezil and the crew are getting better with age. It was a very comfortable show. The music flowed perfectly. And oh what fun Titties and Beer was. And Sheila got down with her bad self more than ever. All just too cool. The bummer of the night was when Dweezil announced the passing of Captain Beefheart. I gasped along with the entire house. He was one of my favs and it was kinda funky to hear of his passing while I was at a Zappa show. ZPZ did a real good job on Willie the Pimp as a tribute. Rest in Peace Captain.....and just a little heads up to Dweezil and the band. Westbury, Long Island needs you back LOL. I love them shows. Happy Holidaze

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 2:00 am 

Where to begin? What a great show...Dweezil just continues to get better. It was such a joy to watch him smiling as he played.

Thanks to the other reviewer that posted the set list.

The band was just incredible. The new singer has amazing range, and captures the nuances of Frank's expressions remarkably well, and the other guitarist could use some more spotlight, but then how could you possibly cut back on Dweezil's time up front?

When Dweezil announced that Captain Beefheart had passed away, the whole theater shouted "Nooooo". But Dweezil was cool, and the performance of Willie the Pimp was a great tribute.

I've been listening to Frank since Freak Out was released. By pure coincidence, we have the same birthday. Every year around this time I am sad but grateful for his Frankness. I will never forget celebrating his 70th with Dweezil and the band. Thank you so much!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 4:46 pm 

they played inca roads as well- Frank played the lead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 2:24 am 

Amazing show! I agree with everyone else, spot-on performances, great venue (first time at the Beacon Theatre, but now after experiencing it, I'm even more psyched to see The Allman Brothers Band there in March) and their rendition of Apostrophe (') brought a constant smile to my face. Great set list and great energy as always.

Last edited by Birch Boy on Fri Dec 24, 2010 3:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 6:49 pm 

GREAT SHOW!!!
First time seeing you guys perform Franks music.
Sat orchestra center row F - just like in the old days (before marriage house kids and all)
Dwezill is a phenomenal guitarist. The guitar sound on Gumbo variations had me looking for the violinist that wasn't there, GREAT JOB!!
All the other players were just as good.
Brought my daughters (youngest one now in college) boyfriend because he would be the only one to fully appreciate what he was seeing.
Introduced him to FZ music after purchasing the tickets.
Blew him away he could not stop talking about it.
Then he saw you guys and again he was amazed.
Once again GREAT job and hope many more to come.
And of course best to wishes to the Zappa family for the holidays

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 12:51 am 

I took my 23 year-old son to to see ZPZ at the Beacon on 17 Dec 2010. He has been a Zappa fan for most of his life (thanks to me) and really loved the show. He really liked the Apostrophe section but really perked up at Inca Roads! I saw Frank play twice in the 80s and remember them as the best concerts I had ever seen. ZPZ is also in a class by itself; the technical mastery and use of videotaped appearances of Frank himself and tastefully done and really add to the experience. This was my first ZPZ and I can tell you now, it won't be my last!

Just for info purposes: I flew out to Connecticut from Utah before the show, flew to DC the day of the show, road a bus up to NYC with my son, met up with 8 friends and my brother from CT before the show, road the bus back from NYC to DC that night and flew back to CT on Saturday! I am now on a flight from CT to Utah!...the things we do to see a Zappa show!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2010 5:28 pm 

One of the best concerts I've gone to! Music just blew me right out of my seat! What a great concert! It's my 2nd concert. At this one, the band seemed inspired. Zappa's music defies catagorizing. Best I can come to is it's like listening to the Greatful Dead on steroids! I'm glad Dweezil's bringing it to the fore. I see the concerts are becoming more and more popular. My son wants to go to the next one. Dweezil seems to have a gentle, laid-back and humble personality. That's refreshing.