Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:37 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: 18 December 2010: Philadelphia, PA
PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 11:21 pm 
Site Admin

Did you attend the ZPZ show at The Keswick Theatre in Philadelphia, PA?

Dweezil and the band love reading your reviews.

Please do not post in this thread if you did not attend the show.

Mikey
Zappa.com Webmeister

Post subject: Re: 18 December 2010: Philadelphia, PA
PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 6:27 am 

Another excellent show! From the Gumbo Variations to the Muffin Man, the band roared through nearly three hours non stop. The only disappointing aspect was Sheila's inability to sing, though the drummer did an admirable job of feminizing his voice for her parts. The lead singer did a great job of injecting just enough sarcasm into his tone, delivering the lyrics the way they were intended. Dweezil's guitar skills improve with every tour it seems as he delivered some searing guitar solos, and the clips of Frank only reinforced how good Dweezil has become...Frank would be proud. This was the fourth ZPZ show I have seen, having seen the first three trips through Philly but missing the last couple. I won't miss any others, hops the band returns soon.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 6:46 am 

Just returned from the Zappa Plays Zappa show at the Keswick Theater in Glenside, PA. A nice, cozy venue. I'd be fooling myself if I thought I could sum it all up - the intensity, the transportation to another place and time, the musicianship - without time to fully process it. I'll start with this:

The music was unparalleled. From “Dyna Moe Hum” to “Peaches En Regalia,” from “St. Alphonso's Pancake Breakfast” to “Titties and Beer,” the power and energy were the same as I remember with Frank, as were the the talent and dynamism; it was just the messengers who had changed.

It falls well short of being fair, though it's probably accurate, to state that Dweezil Zappa is channeling his father. He is a phenomenally gifted musician in his own right - arguably a virtuoso guitarist - and has surrounded himself with a group of truly talented players (it is quite unfair to call them a supporting cast.) They presented FZ the way FZ would have wanted to be presented. Not just as an homage, though that was obviously one result, but also as a reflection of his composition, music, story-telling and social commentary translated into the present day. What I experienced made me feel like I was at once sitting in a haze of smoke at the Spectrum on Halloween, 1977, while at the same time fumbling for my "distance glasses" to gain a focus on the players just 15 rows distant.

Video Highlights: FZ leading the band via “enhanced video” and jamming with Dweezil on “Cosmic Debris.” Also his incredibly tasteful solo on “Inca Roads”.

Musical Highlights: Scheila Gonzalez, Billy Hulting and 
Jamie Kime being given the room to tear it up and trading of solos on “Redunzl.”
 Pete Griffin's twisted lead bass on “Excentrifugal Forz.” Ben Thomas and his amazingly accurate FZ-esque vocals. Let's not forget Joe Travers, who drove the band relentlessly from behind the kit.

Then there's Dweezil. Oh, you were shredding all night long, but that wasn't the half of it:
Requesting, in mid-concert, for the women in the house (historically underrepresented at the 5 or 6 Zappa shows I attended) to donate their bras and panties to make a quilt. Whether this was a transparent come-on or a genuine effort is moot, because in 10 minutes, you had enough lycra, spandex and underwire to clothe state of Delaware. THEN, you castigated security for not allowing the ladies up the stairs to join you on the stage. So you and Ben Thomas pulled them up from the pit. A rhetorical, “It's my show and if I want the ladies on stage, the ladies will be on stage.” Nice touch.

Finally, Dweezil, you are a masterful musician and consummate artist. Unlike many children of true legends, you do not suffer by comparison. Your father was a visionary as composer, performer and businessman. He was also a relentless perfectionist who did not suffer fools, period. You have inherited and learned much from him, but you have also grown into your own person and established your own identity. For that, your father would be immensely proud. For that, we are truly grateful.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 4:06 pm 

This was my 10th Zappa show. Saw Frank 7 times starting in '71 and Dweezil 3 times. Yes it was great. Loved the audience participation and there was even a little added improvosation between Ben and the Devil during Titties and Beer. Would love to see a bit more improv in these shows which always made Frank's shows so much fun. Loved the solos (RDNZL) and City of Tiny Lights sounded particularly great. Not to mention the treat of never-before-seen video footage of Frank doing Cosmic Debris. Dweezil and his fellow musicians are suberb! This event brought to light the reasons I love FZ and his music after all these years. (Hey Joe, where did you and your fellow musicians finally get a bite? I suspect the Chinese place? Didn't see you a the Greek place which was excellent!) Oh did anyone mention that at the liquor concessions they were serving a special drink called "Yellow Snow". Nice touch Keswick!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 5:12 pm 

Does anyone have the full set list from the Keswick Theater show? It was a moving experience to be in attendance.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 8:00 pm 

It was an incredible setlist and a wonderful show!

The Gumbo Variations
Don't Eat The Yellow Snow
Nanook Rubs It
St. Alphonzo's Pancake Breakfast
Father O'Blivion
Cosmik Debris (with Frank video)
Excentrifugal Forz
Apostrophe
Uncle Remus
Stinkfoot
RDNZL
Drum Solo
Inca Roads (with Frank video)
Dumb All Over (with Frank video)
City Of Tiny Lights
I Promise Not To Come In Your Mouth
Cruisin' For Burgers (Zappa In New York)
Encore:
Baby Snakes
Chrissy Puked Twice (Titties 'n Beer)
Muffin Man (with Frank video)

It was my second show and I enjoyed every minute! The only downside was that my seat was at the end of the right side of the front row so the enormous speakers on the stage completely blocked my view of Chris and the projection on stage. I could only see a sliver of the footage. Oh well...GREAT SHOW

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 1:42 am 

Insane, phenomenal, inspirational, stunning, beautiful.

Those words can only begin to describe the event last night in Glenside. DZ & the band were spot-on, and the fact the Scheila was under the weather would never have been evident had Dweezil not mentioned it (and you ignored the obvious fact she wasn't singing at all). I attended with a Zappa 'virgin' who left with an newly-found appreciation and interest in Frank - job well done, Dweezil and bandmates.

The setlist was stellar, the execution spot-on and the privilege of watching Dweezil play alongside of his father was worth the price of admission in and of itself. Add in the Christmas carol themes popping in and out of the solos, the quilt material solicitation, and the hilarious dance party, and it was a show (5th time I've seen ZPZ) I'll never forget.

The eight musicians on stage were somehow able to consistently channel some sort of shared consciousness that connected them to one another in a way that laid a wide swath of destruction in its aural pathway.

Finally, I couldn't not mention how fantastic Scheila was after the show -- despite her illness, and the fact she could barely speak, she was extremely accommodating in autographing my 11yo daughter's flute case and even took the time to write a personalized and very genuine inscription to my daughter. Thank you Scheila for helping to inspire a new generation of musicians.

THANK YOU DZ for continuing to present your father's music with respect, reverence, and incredible accuracy while not losing a single atom of the necessary snarky, ironic, and satiric humor.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 2:31 pm 

What an amazing show to attend at the Keswick for this first timer at age 43. Clearly you are never to old to discover something new. Some thoughts on this Zappa Plays Zappa performance can be found at my personal blog here - http://longtrailahead.blogspot.com/2010 ... thing.html

Can't wait to see the show again!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 6:36 pm 

This was my 7th time (4) states to see the show since it first appeared at the Tower in 2006. This time I was with (5) ZPZ virgins. Blown away they were. This was my my gift to them to what still is the the best touring band in the world. Joe, I really was going to buy the entire table's dinner (Chinese it was BTW) but the check had already been paid. Do the same for all next time through if you like. The perfection in synchronization with the videos of Frank along with the sound quality were the goose bump moments for me. I will never tire of this show. If you keep touring I will keep coming. I think eventually the venues will have to expand the wheelchair areas though. Frank always played Philadelphia on tour. Thank you Dweez for doing the same. For the stage girly show I suggest SHOUSURTITZ (on previous tour bus ) lighted sign may produce certain results. Don't stray to long!