Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Thu Aug 28, 2014 3:08 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: 23 June 2006: Los Angeles, CA
PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 3:24 pm 
Site Admin

Did you attend this show at the Wiltern in Los Angeles?

Post your impressions/photos/reviews here.

Please do not post in this thread if you did not attend this show.

Thanks!

Zappa.com Admin
www.zappa.com

Post subject: Amazing
PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 4:00 pm 

Last night was simply amazing. Even Terry Ted with one arm can blow away most drummers. I have to say Joe Travers needs to get his ass out of the vault more and play drums - he is exclelent. I for one am blown away by his chops. The show was fantastic. Dweezil is the man - he has always been the man and continues to prove that he was born to play the guitar. And to be honest, Steve Vai was not needed. Yes he is amazing and I for one have been listening to him since his early days with Zappa, but his pyroytechnics are beyond what this type of music needs anymore.
The band is so tight. That keyboard and sax solo last night were fucking incredible!!!

It was so touching to see the band jam with Frank. Was that Chunga's Revenge? I think the woman in front of me was weeping.

Please keep this up. We all need to hear Frank's music live. I can only watch Baby Snakes and the Dub Room so many times.

Last but not least, Diva's little dance during the Black Page was sweet. I can only imagine that life in the Zappa house is just like that. Music playing and the kids playing and dancing.

Thank you Zappa Trust. You hit a homerun last night and all over the world these past few weeks!

Music really is the best!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 6:38 pm 

THE WILTERN WAS AMAZING. SOLD OUT CROWD GIVING WELL DESERVED STANDING OVATIONS TO THE BAND. FRANK ON THE SCREEN. DIVA DANCING TO THE BLACK PAGE #2. AMAZING PLAYING BY DWEEZIL. AARON'S KEYBOARD SOLO'S DURING INCA AND EAT THAT QUESTION WERE WONDERFUL. BOZZIO AND HIS ENERGY AS A "NEW FRONT MAN." NAPPY WAS GREAT. VAI AND HIS IBANEZ ABUSE. SCHEILA RIPPING SAX PLAYING TO A WHOLE DIFFERENT LEVEL WITH EYBROWS. JOE PLAYING AMAZING DRUMS. BILLY GIVING OUT GOOD "VIBES." JAMIE STEPPING UP WITH DWEEZIL AND VAI JAMMING. PETE'S BOOMING BASS LINES. THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU, ZFT. DID I WANT MORE FROM THE SHOW? YES. BUT THAT IS NOT A NEGATIVE COMMENT. THAT JUST MEANS I DIDN'T WANT IT TO END. I LOVE BEING ABLE TO LISTEN TO FRANKS MUSIC ON DIFFERENT LEVELS. CASUALLY ENJOYING IT AND SPACING OUT, AND CONCENTRATING ON EXACTLY HOW DIFFICULT IT IS TO PLAY THIS. THANK YOU AGAIN. BECAUSE OF THESE CONCERTS (ANAHEIM AND L.A.) I WILL NOW BE LISTENING TO FRANK TWICE AS MUCH AS I USED TO. WHICH MEANS I'LL HAVE TO QUIT MY JOB AND NOT SLEEP TO MAKE UP FOR THE 12 HOURS I WASN'T LISTENING TO FRANK! :D :!:

Post subject: Wiltern
PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 10:06 pm 

The show last night at the Wiltern was super-awesome-rediculously-incredible!
My brother had never seen a Zappa show, and he was swearing this was the best concert he had ever seen! ( I tried to tell him). Sheila is beyond comprehension on that horn, and Jamie can play with the best of them. Now we know what Joe does in that vault all day! Aaron, Billy, and Pete are perfect fits! Dancin' Diva!
As many others have said, NMB rules! I think Frank would be proud of how Dweezil selected and rehearsed the players, introducing some of them to this treasured material, so much so that they are now hooked. He unquestionably has the passion! I was quite impressed at how Dweezil has adapted his technique to present this music in an authentic manner. I didn't get a chance to ask him after the show, but I wondered if he ever thought that he wanted to play like Frank.
Get well soon TB! Steve, you're a freakin' freak!
Dweezil, I hope you know that LA loves you and this project! ( I think you could tell from the audience response.)
Please come back soon, maybe a New Year's Eve show?(if not sooner)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 1:18 am 

The Wiltern show was sublime. As fun as Vai and Bozzio are, they were surprisingly unnecessary. Dweezil and company serve the music well. It was quite satisfying to hear Frank's music as music without all the puerile interference of blow up dolls and plastic poodles. Now if only Beefheart had a kid.

Post subject: Wiltern Show 6/23/06
PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 4:58 pm 

OOOOO MAMA! Such sweet bliss! Everybody (audience too) was SOOOO
great! Thank you thank you thank you. Did you read my mind? You played everything I wanted to hear! The only one missing on stage for me was GEORGE DUKE. PLEASE try to get him on board! AND.............
PLEASE-PLEASE-PLEASE get an early October-'06 date for L.A. !!!
The HOMETOWN deserves it, baby! I mean, you saw and felt the power, glory and LOVE L.A. has for you. I ask you, could anyone ask for a greater audience? I and my 16-year-old daughter were in the pit right up front stage center, and when I turned around to see EVERYONE standing, dancing, screaming MORE!, I was VERY moved.
It was clear to me that Frank's, and now Dweezil's music is SO vital and important, especially for those of us in L.A.!!! I met Frank at UCLA before the "Just Another Band From LA concert, and man, he was cool. I recount the story in the FZ Guestbook, signed today. Hey Dweezil, I'm proud of you. I hope and pray some kind of institute is set up not only to preserve Frank's work, but to train musicians of tomorrow to carry on the EXTREMELY important mission of the FZ Trust, eh?

Post subject: I Literally Broke Down In Tears!
PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 11:57 pm 

I shit you not, at the end of the show when they were playing along with Frank up on the screen I cracked and started bawling my eyes out. My wife and the people around me sure were surprised. The waterworks continued through the end of the show and I had to compose myself before leaving the theatre.

Holy shit. :cry:

Post subject: LA show home run
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 1:08 am 

As much as I would've liked to have been in the pit having my inner ear cartilige disintegrate there is no substitute for a live Zappa show. Napoleon of course stole the evening. He makes any senior citizen envious. He had as much spunk and fervor as when I saw him tour in the 70's. Napoleon, give up your real estate career and keep on touring with Dwezil. You are the best. The other bandmembers were also top notch. Terry singing I'm so cute was outrageous. Dwezil hit it right with a truly unique orchestra and a good dose of nostalgia. Try to do Santa Barbara next year so I can get up front.
Many thanks for keeping Frank's music alive. He's basically all I listen to.

Post subject: ZPZ Wiltern
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 5:09 am 

Some words about the Los Angeles show. But first, a little color. Outside the Wiltern a typical LA going home on public transportation crowd swirls past the die hard Zappa fans in queue for the ZPZ road show. A jovial bald headed black woman chats and laughs it up with the 17 and 19 year olds at the head of the line. Suddenly she points at the 10th guy in line and loudly says, “Hey, THAT guy is as old as me!â€

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 7:56 pm 

CAzzo che grande dweezil............
Mi sarebbe tanto piaciuto essere a Los Angeles!!!!!!!!

Post subject: wiltern show
PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 1:37 pm 

First and foremost, Thank you.

I have gone to more than 60 different concerts in my life, and this certainly ranks in the top 5.

The music was stunning. If you are reading this and are wonderiing if you should go to a show, I cannot recomend the ZPZ experience highly enough.

Wiltern:
I was able to attend the sound check, and to see the band working through several songs. The atmosphere was amazingly relaxed, jokes flying back and forth, it was a real treat. Yet the attention to detail, working and reworking AGAIN problem areas in a song or two was impressive. I think the fact that the band decided to include "Stinkfoot" on the second to last show of the tour was amazing. NOT because of the song itself, but the fact that the band was not "coasting" to the end of the tour!! One more show after this night and it's over, and they are still working hard to get stuff right? Though I never met Frank Zappa, I think that attention to detail is a tribute any composer would be proud of - that a band is that serious about his work.
The show was amazing. It looking back, I recall many things that stand out. To single out any one part would be to downplay how well and how skilled ALL of the members were working together. This didn't seem to be a band, this was a family. It showed at the soundcheck and it showed during the concert.
There was a point during the show when Dweezil talked to a young gentleman in the front row. It was this boy's first concert. I wish him the best of luck going to any show that will come close to this.
After show party: I was lucky enough to be invited to the post concert show. Being in L.A., I guess I was expecting some glitzy, fake garbage. I should have known better by now. I met and talked to many of the band members along with dozens of other fans. It was a very memorable and fun experience.

Thank you again.

I will be seeing ZPZ in Orlando, or Atlanta soon.

-JBS

Post subject: at the Wiltern
PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 8:31 pm 

I had the fortunate opportunity to go the L.A. to see this show with 2 of my brothers.....woo hoo what an amazing show it was.

I say, if I had to do it all over again, I WOULD IN A HEART BEAT ....

THANK YOU .....