Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 10:02 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Yes, the Warfield sucks
PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 6:59 pm 

But it was better than not seeing this show! Cabbagepatch said it all. Go Cab!

Post subject: Amen the Warfield does suck...
PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 9:07 pm 

... and I live in SF and have to go there all of the time. The Warfield needs to get rid of those F n’ tables, what’s up with that? There where a bunch of “old timersâ€

Post subject: Nice Gift From The Zappas
PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 10:37 pm 

Enjoyed the show immensely. Great range of material, good choices. Had "Let's Make the Water Turn Black" and "Peaches In Regalia" not been included, I'm not sure what I'd do...

Since enjoying many Mothers/Zappa shows starting back with the Fillmore East material (and I was at the Pauley Pavilion "Another Band..." show), I always said that for all the great, interesting, complex and amusing music, there was something about seeing Frank and his band that just guaranteed one would leave the concert happier and full of cheer.

This Zappa Plays Zappa gig achieved that at about 75%, and that is saying A LOT! Thanks to all the great musicians, old and new, and especially Napoleon Murphy Brock who seemed always mindful of what had to be brought to the table to capture that Frank Zappa tone.

And what a great guitar player Dweezil is! Who knew? Kudos, DZ!

I think it would be great if future shows brought more Mothers/Zappa alumni out of the woodwork. I know Flo and Eddy (Turtles) are still crooning their hits at some fair type gigs, so perhaps a bit of those old days could be recaptured. And yes, Ray White is still around! Jimmy Carl Black? And wow, if we could cajole the esteemed Don Van Vliet out from behind his easel!

Thank you to those that brought it together, made it happen, and to the audience for being so appreciative. I cut a backpacking trip short a couple days to make it to this, and then remembered that I'd done the same for a Hollywood Bowl show years ago when the Grand Wazoo played (with the Doors minus Jim Morrison opening). Frank's music is definitely something to brave "civilization" for!

Rich Apple

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 1:28 am 

The Warfield show was my third show in as many days. I scrubbed my plans to go to Germany the moment the ZPZ tour dates were announced.

The Warfield show was awesome, I bought real seats behind the sound board for this show and it was awesome, the other two shows I was right in front of the stage and got to shake Dweezil’s hand in LA My buddy actually met Gail and Diva elsewhere at the venue, he remarked about how wonderful Gail was to talk to, gracious and down right genuine. The House of Blues was intimate enough but lacking the very moving video.

The show at the Warfield was my favorite of the three, I brought a non Zappa person with me to each show, they are now hooked. The emotion was significant, tears welled up in my eyes when Dweezil played the duet to Frank’s video. I still can’t tell people about the show without getting choked up about it - all I can say is THANK YOU

I’ve been a fan since the early 70s and as a native Chicagoan I enjoyed Frank and the Mothers every time they came to town.

Dweezil is on a mission - introducing new people and new generations to the timeless music of the greatest composer and alternative entertainer of our time. I can’t wait until the next tour, my future vacations will be all about new tour dates, meeting new people and introducing them to the best damn live music anywhere on the planet

The band was crisp and tight, King Kong Variations - spectacular, every member had a great time I look forward to years of ZPZ tours and the revival of Frank’s catalog presented live.

Steve Vai was fantastic, his interaction with the band awesome, Terry is still the cute drummer and did a great job playing his kit in LA and SF with one arm - his expressions are damn near the same as his performance on the Baby Snakes video I can’t wait to see him healthy and hitting the skins with both arms Napoleon, what a showman and fantastic artist I actually met him in Germany last year and have seen him many times in Florida cover band and with Frank back in the day. He adds a unforgettable dimension to the stage. Inca Roads - WOW is all I can say.

The others - what can I say? Scheila and Aaron were on fire, can that chick blow that sax or what? Pete, Billy, Jamie and Joe - all fantastic!

Read the blogs and bios, anyone seeing the band is witnessing the finest alternative entertainment on the planet. You will never forget the show and you will want more, I can’t wait for ZFT to release the video of the Warfield show - how incredible.

I had the absolute best time over the long weekend, good friends, new friends, great music and repeated experience of the “Frank connectionâ€

Post subject: Dweezil Has It
PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 2:10 am 

I was totally impressed with the offspring of the master FZ.....

Thanks to the Warfield for selling me the best tix in the place dead center Loge next to the mixing board for face value pricing! $49.95

I am sorry to hear some folks on the floor got a little scrunched...

Anyway, to DZ - You have done a remarkable job learning your fathers music & you deserve all the applause for sure. I was most honored to be in your presence & to participate in the many standing ovations. You nailed Inca Roads -

I am going to try to get to the Denver show in October. Please continue to tour & bring your fathers music to the masses. I told my friend part way into the show, "If Dweezil does this right, he could bring FZ's music into the mainstream.." What do I know, but a few songs later you were in agreement as far as FZ's music should be in the mainstream. You have a very good chance brother to do this in my opinion.

To Terry - Hope your bicep gets better soon. You still did great one handed!

To Nappy - You still got it brother!

To Steve - You definatly rock!

To the New Band - Incredible! I'm blown away! Wonderful talent!

So here you are folks, The Return Of The Son Of....... yeah that's right..... ONE GREAT GUITAR PLAYER! No need to shut up! DZ HAS ARRIVED!!!!!

P.S. Don't smoke that stuff.... It's bad for you....

It's OK to be smart.....

Post subject: Warfield
PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 5:48 am 

A few hours after the Wiltern show we hit the road to SF. It was 7:30am when we passed the blue tourbus on I-5 near the 580 split. A few more hours and we (the spouse and I) were in line on Market street waiting for the last show of the first tour of ZPZ.

But first, a little color. We used to live in The City so nothing shocks us there. The most unusual thing was that they actually have people with machines trying to clean up the detritus on the sidewalk and street. Not the human variety which provides the passing show. We got in line early so we saw the dancers showing up for the early evening shift at the Crazy Horse next door to the Warfield, I imagine the lighting on stage makes them look hotter. Gay pride weekend revelers just added to the weirdness. The parade of panhandlers was incessant. The only one with any true creativity showed up just before the doors opened. He rolled up on a bike, paused at the curb and pulled a tattered cardboard sign out of his backpack: “Wife kidnapped-short the 98 cent ransom.â€

Post subject: Thanks. From my heart and soul,
PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 6:44 am 

My attendance at this show was guided by the alignment of the stars. Flying into town to attend the 'other' weekend festivities I learn from my traveling neighbor about the show. As I give credit to the elder Zappa for saving my life from becoming a soul lost in conformity by his ability to succeed within his own substance, and damning the influence of the corporate masses. (or organized religious dogma or peer pressure hostilities or sexual 'abnormalities'). I immediately jumped on my Treo once off the plan and searched for tickets to a show I knew I was supposed to attend. Well, because of the influence Heir Zappa had on a multitude of free thinkers, I was riding a squared tire bike up California Avenue. I was not to be denied, because fate is the weight of circumstances (NP), I went to the Warfield to cast my will.

And boy did it pay off...seats in row AA Loge, and a new set of ears as company to share one of my favorite artist's music, being performed with more than talent but deep love. As the night progresses and the claymation fingers traveled the chords, I knew that DZ was not only playing this music with a heart full of love, but as a kid who had grow up in a forest now seeing the trees and how much they mean to this world. DZ your dad was very special. His talents may not be universally known, but to some of us, his music was a sanctuary. A place we could go and be an individual, without comment. A place he made by not only his humor, and social statements, but his amazing ability to make his music sing. The night was inspired, as I am sure it is with every night you bring a bit of your dad back to share with us all. The players on stage share the love and passion for FZ and I would guess are honored and better for playing for him. Music is the best.

So, the musicianship was unbelievable. The energy reminded me of the couple shows I was privileged to see back in the day. Anyone who has every listened to one of the many FZ albums, been amazed at the ability to shut up and play the guitar, you would do the world some good to share this with your friends, and most important your children.

This music will always be a place I go when I need to smile, and dance around like a fool. I am hoping to be able to take my own son to one of the fall shows, and share the display of love that you and the band are performing. Thank you for taking the risk, the challenge, the honor of making your dad proud. I am sure your mom has a lump in her heart every time you step out there on stage. You are a good son.

This may be a bit sappy for a review of a rock concert, but in the hundreds of shows I have attended; never before have I shed tears. I walked out of the Warfield with a desire to re-engage my individual desires and where the path may lead, the music will always be my solace. Thank you Dweezil. I hope you know in some way just how much you have brought to this one individual and dare I venture out on one of those limbs in the forest....to a whole hell of a lot of individuals.

Ondon the 1st

p.s. Terry, not only are you amazing at banging those stick.....you are still soooo damn cute......(hugs and kisses from SF) :lol:

See y'all in October!!!

Post subject: DZ, you've picked up the thread, keep making that Zappestry!
PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 8:55 am 

Zappestry - "Zappa tapestry", you heard it here first, folks!

I lost my dad recently (actually, he died, so if he is indeed lost, it's not my fault, the sins of the son shall not be visited on the fathers...), anyway, so I understand the emotion of it for Dweezil.

Anyway, I'm not a big fan of Vai, I'm biased toward the classic tones of Gibson, Fender, Gretsch, Rickenbacker, etc., and more old school amp sounds, and bluesier playing, nevertheless, the point I want to make is:

DWEEZIL'S PLAYING KICKS *&$%! GREAT TONE! (especially important if you're a guitarist...) GREAT CHOPS! GREAT STYLE! THE ENTIRE PACKAGE (regarding his guitar, not what's behind the guitar...). THAT is what makes this show great. Of course, Bozzio is the best drummer I've ever witnessed (on tour with Jeff Beck, '89, Arco Arena, Sacramento, CA). I didn't see the Warfie show, but the clips on the web of Dweezil are smokin'!

Dweezil, please return to either SF, the East Bay (Oakland, etc.), or Sacramento ASAP! I think in general all concert prices are too high for us regular folks, but this is one show would be worth it. I don't think I've seen any shows in the past ten years, the last really memorable shows being the Grateful Dead on a few occasions in the early '90s, Miles Davis at Sacramento Convention Center, late '80s or very early '90s, and Terry Bozzio with Jeff Beck on tour with SRV, whose sound sucked and SRV was completely blown off the stage by JB... no surprise. Anyway...

Keep it up, Dweezil! Keep playing your dad's stuff! I like the fact that you are going to apparently put my FZ guitar playing into the shows than your dad did!!! Less talk, more rock! Shut up and play his guitar! YES!!! I don't want to see politics and don't care to see a comedy show, let it rock!

BTW: I am not a fan of the mothers, and only really dig Hot Rats era up until about '82. After that, the concerts too often sounded rushed, Frank's guitar tone was not as awesome as in the mid-to-late '70s and I could care less about a musician's take on politics and religion, though I respect Frank's right to have an opinion and speak his mind, unequivocally, his words NEVER sounded as good as his GUITAR. MUSIC IS THE BEST.

Pssst... Dweezil... "Black Napkins". The best guitar piece ever performed, never mind Hendrix, Page, Beck, Garcia, Buchannan, Sumlin, Townshend, A. Young, N. Young, Gibbons, Richards, J. Thunders (Yes, I said it!), Segovia, D. Rich, R. Nichols, etc. (even Clapton, ugh), and I DO respect them all. "Black Napkins" is the cherry on top of the world's greatest ever guitar instrumentals!

Dweezil, f*^*^*&^ a! YOU CAN PLAY! FRANK FOREVER!

And...

OPEN THE VAULTS!!! It doesn't matter how crudely recorded (release those for free as downloads, just do it, word of mouth will create the market) or how well recorded (release multi-tracks as nice multi-disk packages, at a FAIR price, ~$15+ one disc, $20+ two discs, $25+ three discs, $30 four discs, not much more than that, if Shut Up were ~$25-30, it'd sell twice the amount it does at $40, trust me, price point is everything to the intelligent consumer, which includes 90% of Zappa fans). Also, sell two-track recordings at fair prices as do the Dead (Dick's Picks, compare and price appropriately), and you'll have a cottage (no cheese, please) industry that will do at least twice what you're doing now. A freak like me will buy nearly EVERY release, IF IT IS PRICED FAIRLY INSTEAD OF BEING AN ATTEMPT TO BANKRUPT ME AND LEAVE ME WITH NO RETIREMENT WHATSOEVER. Intelligent consumers respect AND RECOGNIZE the fine line between rip-off and fair (for both artist AND consumer) price. Don't do it for the love of money, do it for the LOVE OF MUSIC. I don't think any of y'all will go hungry, I've bought near 40-50 FZ releases thus far, and hearing MP3s of concerts on the internet has slaked my thirst for ANY AND ALL GOOD, even decent, ZAPPA LIVE RECORDINGS! (Which would focus most intensely on about '71 thru '78, perhaps up to about '82, for my money).

Good job, Dweezil, keep going... and going... and going... until THE END.

Think about most all the REALLY GREAT MUSICIANS in history, be it classical, jazz, blues, etc., really great musicians don't retire, they die with a sense of dignity, respect, and with many pleasant memories of wonderful musical moments provided for their fans and themselves.

Viva Zappa!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 9:07 am 

That first picture (above) is one in a million. These reviews tell you how much we all love you guys and how much we loved Frank and his music. You brought back memories of time past for some and made new memories for others, introduced a new generation to the music of FZ. Thank you from the bottom of my heart and others THANK YOU. I can't find the words, Ondon and CookieDuster said it best.

"Music is the best."

Post subject: The Warfield Theater Filthy Habits
PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 1:54 pm 

The Warfield Theater

Part II

One of the greatest concert venues I have ever been to was the Shark Tank in San Jose. One of the worst concert venues I have ever been to was the Warfield Theater. This place sucks dick. The holy shrine to the Grateful Dead is proudly displayed on the right hand wall as you walk in. Jerry this, Jerry that, Jerry young, Jerry old, Jerry stoned. The guard at the very front door looked like the only decent employee in the whole place. The ticket taker was old grandma. The woman pating me down did it so lightly, I don't think she even checked my ass pockets. She asked if I had any guns! Would I pay fucking $39.95 to shot someone in the band or someone who was a little to piss drunk. No, never. Idiots.

Hey there's a bar! With women bartenders! Wait a minute. Are they women? They are all 35 and above, with Tattoos on their arms, legs, neck, and lower back. WTFIH!! All the f-ing bartenders were like that, even the ones upstairs. The place smells so bad. It looks like the only addition they added over the last 40 years was the firehoses in the walls.
I had to take a piss, so I went downstairs to do it. I could have stopped at the front door and just used the fucking floor. The show had not even started, the floor was completely pissed on with a quarter inch of piss!! I knew right then that this place was not finished impressing me yet.

The guys who checked tickets in front of the balcony entrence were fucking hippy's. They took thier sweet as time looking at each ticket.
One guy looked like the Chris Robinson of the Black Crowes. The little isle guy guarding the lower right corner of the balcony I felt sorry for him. He was about 50 years old and he has the job to tell people to get back to the lobby with their beers. This one old fucking former hippy woman with long hair kept bothering him about not being able to bring her drink to her seats. She was so fucking bombed on something. How did she get it passed Chris? HMM, Well she had a big bag! She came back two minuets later. Sh walked right passed little guy and back to her seat.

Now little guy was very stressed out. He had his own little stool. He was a very nice guy, he uses to cut my grass. I was seated 15 rows up and then I sat next to another Zappa fan who was very nice and let me borrow his binocs. I looked at the stage and saw the the screen was hiding behind the speakers a little. Ah Shit, not again. The video ran and I did't see Frank talking on the right hand of the screen. The lights were also blocking the view. Anyone higher than I was, to the right of were I was, couldn't even see shit of the video screen. The other thing that was hiding was Terry and his drum kit. When he went behind the kit to play, I could only see him as he would lean in towards the cymbals. No one could see him play to the right of me.

The whole hippy weed thing was seen and smoked every second of the concert. The idiots would puff in front, back, left, and to the right of me. The tend to inhale and blow it straight up for some reason. I would suggest an outdoor venue next time the ZFT comes to SF. That way it wouldn't linger so long as in the Warfield. Obviously the guards at the front door didn't check or ask if I had a lighter or any hippy lettuce. That is so Warfield of you. No cops or bouncers to kick out anyone smoking an illegal substance. Way to go Warfield staff. Another Jerry picture frame should go up for that.

Now, I have something to say for these two great members...

indioofthegroup -You had one of the best floor stories. Those bouncers were so old. They didn't do shit all night. Some guys were saying fuck you back and forth, but nothing happened there.

cookieduster -I saw that bum with that wife sign. What a bunch of idiots out there. I once was in front of Lucky 13 and a bum told me to hold his sign for him. I refuesed to do it. I went inside the bar and the bartender said that he had assulted a guy for holding his sign for him and robbed him. They are fucking Shit. Do something GAVIN!!!

Wilma Handu

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 5:05 pm 

What a show! I was right up front, enveloped in the "huge brown cloud" of smoke. C'mon folks, the 60's are over. Stop smoking that shit, it'll make you stupid. I agree with other posters, the Warfield is not the greatest place in the world to see a show, but I was there to hear FZ's music, and would pretty much go anywhere to experience it again. Thanks so much to DZ and the band, they did a great job and the moment was surely special. Sorry for the bong hits in the front who thought it was cute to blow fucking smoke at you while you played. Again: THE SIXTIES ARE OVER!!!!! Put that shit down and get a job ya hippies!

Great show, great emotion, great sound, nice eyebrows all around. See you guys in the fall, but hopefully not at the hippy palace.

Post subject: That was incredible...
PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 5:51 am 

I knew the show was going to be incredible but I was amazed at the level of emotion and compassion the musicians delivered to the audience. I was yelling so loud with joy that I lost my voice after "Inca Roads". BTW The rendition of Inca Roads literally brought tears to my eyes! I've never cried during a concert and I adore intricate music. The moment I really went nuts was after the second keyboard arpeggio roll in the latter half of the song, you know the one with the Rhoads sound coming from the keyboard....They fuckin 1/2 timed it and the keyboardist made a jazzy shuffle out of it before reving up for a finale. I went balistic with emotion. I never considered an improvization at that moment and I loved every second of it.
I was bummed about Terry's injury but thought his Henry Rollin-esque frontman style was the bomb! Also one hand drumming was amazing. I hope to see Terry live again, as that was the first time I saw him in concert. I hope this becomes an annual event. Thanks DZ you really made my year!

Post subject: Re: any way the warfield blows
PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 5:48 pm 

I loved the show and can't add much more that hasn't been said already regarding the performance.

indioofthegroup wrote:
the warfield is about as pathetic a venue as i can conceive.

it was oversold. the standing room only crowd could hardly comply with the staff demands to remain within the yellow lines designating sro areas. unless people wanted to hold people on their shoulders.

Even before the show started and we'd barely had two sips of our Stellas, my wife leans across the table and says: "Have I told you this is my least favorite concert venue?" Many of us are adults now, and we don't find the cabaret seating stuff charming anymore. The well-meaning chair monitors did get to be a pain in the ass after a while. Our table was so jammed in with chairs it was practically impossible to give a standing ovation without knocking someone over.

I felt like I walked onto the set of "Night of the Living Dead" when outside the Warfield. I can think of venues in Oakland and Berkeley that would be better. I parked blocks away in Union Square to escape the Zombies. Not colorful. Not charming. Disgusting. And I live in Oakland.

indioofthegroup wrote:
sf is hard enough to take without having to watch hundreds of warfield staff literally walk around with a pyschedelic gleam in their eyes as they mooch their way through another free show.

how i hate it how i hate it how i hate it......warfield........oh my brain is gettting dead in the back.

Oh boy! The 60's and the 70's were REALLY tough on some of the fans - (You know, the ones screaming "I'm the Slime! I'm the Slime"). Yikes!

[Cartman Voice]
"Goddamn Hippies!
[/Cartman Voice]

Post subject: Stop complaining about people smoking!
PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 11:00 pm 

First off the show was amazing. I never got to see Frank before he passed but this was the next best thing. I knew that it would be a great show but once the band got started and ripping in to FZ's library I was blown away. From that moment on when ever I talk or think about that show I get goosebumps. Thank you DZ for taking it up on yourself (along with the incredible musicians that you put together for the event) to bring your father's music to the stage again. I thought about quiting my job and following the fall tour, but that is just a pipe dream. Please come back to northern Cali. for a few shows, if not a week.

I usually don't post to many things on the internet but felt obligated to do so because of so many people complaining about the venue and the smoke. First off you should feel privelaged to have even had an oppurtunity to see this show no matter what the venue. It's the music that is important. So people have a problem with smokers, sure you have a right to complain because you don't approve of it. So I am throwing back in your face, WHY don't you smoke (whether legal or illegal)? First off I am not some damn hippy from S.F. I hate that everybody thinks that if you smoke you are a hippy, what a bunch of BS.
So what if people want to light something up when they are watching music that means so much to so many people. We all know that FZ wasn't hip to herb, but what about FZ's persistance of freedom of choice. Yeah maybe I am stretching it but I am tired about people complaining about this and no one want's to stand up and say who really gives a shit anyways? People make choice's everyday that piss me off and I don't think is right but I live with it (well except this time I will raise my voice).
Stop complaining about people smoking and leave, or go cry on somebody else's shoulder. We all enjoy life in different ways, and who's to say your's or my choice of existence is better than the other's. I think that the emoticons is one of the worst, lame, things that the internet has to offer. Stupid smiley faces, what a bunch of horse shit.
Anyway's enough of a ramble, just deal with people smoking. Let me let you in on a big secret, it's not going to go away.
Back to the show once again I can't explain how much of a honor it was to see you guy's do serious justice to one of the greatest composer's of all time.
Thank you everyone

Post subject: act busy! jesus is watching. he thinks we're jerks
PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 4:16 am 

I really wouldn't care if each and everyone at this show blazed away on a cigar per hour.

to paraphrase an old adage-

smoke doesn't kill fine music.
burned-out hippie detritus running the venue kills a fine music experience.

i wish more of the hippie sorts smoked. in light of their predilection for things "healthy", a pack a day of camel filters just might snap them out of their funk.

Jesus is the word (when it comes to the appreciation of the show and fz).

I wish i had a little fishy or dove emoticon to put on my bumper and a license plate holder that said:

"It's not going to go away"

man!....san fran....talk about shooting fish in a barrel....

how i love it
how i love it
how i love it.....crisco-oh oh
oh, my rump is gettting sore in the back

[/quote]