Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:55 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Last Call...
PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 1:52 pm 

To Frank Zappa Trust,

Thank you for coming to San Francisco to play. It was a special treat for you to play Franks music. I loved every single second of the music that was played. When I first saw that Zappa Plays Zappa advertisement under concerts I thought that I had to go, no matter what. I went down to the ticket outlet and tried to buy some tickets. The man said,"they are Sold Out." My heart was a instantly crushed, but not suprised at all. I knew this was going to be special. I managed to find tickets online and made a journey to the Warfield. For a month and a half, I spent countless hours listening to Franks music, at home, in my car, at work, and in my head. I listened to nothing else on the radio, no baseball, no rock n' roll, no jazz, no KPFA!!

After the concert was over, I listened to nothing else all week but Franks music. I think the concert sweetened up the old music for me. I found it more pleasurable to listen to. I started to listen to my old mix tapes and cd's I made 7 years ago. I am into "Shiek Yerbouti," now more than ever. I have to say that it's a damn good album. I also listened to "Ahead of their Time," another one. My first album I bought was "TBBYNHIYL," my favorite album still.

I waited so long to experience Franks music live. I just wanted to let you all know that I had a great experience at the show. I know you will all return next year. I can't wait to see another show. Thank you Dweezil for sharing the music we all love so dear. See you next show!

Wilma Handu

Post subject: The San Francisco show
PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 5:57 pm 

I agree with everyone else: this was an amazing show, the best fifty bucks I ever spent. So many bands come out and give an hour to an hour and a half of pre-rehearsed bullshit, while this show ran the gamut of colors and tones, hitting all the musical errogenous zones. The combination of multimedia, all the people that came onstage, the long blazing improv sections, the top-notch quality of the musicians, the humor, the overall feeling of love and respect and joy ricocheting from the crowd to the band back to the crowd and all around was really remarkable. Let's hope they make it back to San Francisco.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 5:52 pm 

Truly Beautiful!! A week gone and the gooseflesh of the show persists. I cannot say how special and wonderful this performance was. THANK YOU DWEEZIL!!! THANK YOU GAIL! THANK YOU ALL!

Long Live Zappa!!

Daniel

Post subject: ALOHA
PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 8:24 pm 

ALOHA FROM HAWAII. AND A HEARTFELT MAHALO TO YOU (DWEEZIL) AND ALL THE MUSICIANS WHO MADE THIS SHOW SUCH A WONDERFUL EXPERIENCE. I AM SUCH A HUGE FAN OF FRANK'S MUSIC THAT I FLEW FROM HONOLULU TO SEE THIS SHOW! BOARDED THE PLANE FRIDAY NIGHT, CAUGHT THE SHOW, AND FLEW HOME SUNDAY.

AND YOU KNOW WHAT? IT WAS WORTH EVERY PENNY. AND IT WAS WORTH THE JETLAG MONDAY MORNING AT WORK. THANK YOU DWEEZIL FOR BRINGING THIS MUSIC BACK OUT WHERE PEOPLE CAN HEAR IT. I AM SURE THAT A NEW GENERATION OF PEOPLE WILL COME TO DISCOVER THE WONDERFUL SPIRIT THAT FRANK CAPTURED IN HIS VOLUMINOUS WORKS.

MAHALO! MAHALO!

AND PLEASE- DON'T FORGET ABOUT US HERE IN THE 50TH STATE. WE HAVE DECENT VENUES AND IT IS A WONDERFUL PLACE TO END A TOUR, OR TO TAKE A BREAK ON THE WAY TO ASIA.

PLEASE CONSIDER PLAYING IN HAWAII SOMETIME. CONSIDER IT A PERSONAL INVITATION :D

ZAPPA FOREVER!

Deepest regards,
Dr. Steve

Post subject: I was with you guys from Philly to Chicago
PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 7:12 am 

Hey all whats up?????
I worked with Creative Stage Lighting and toured between the Philly show to Chicago.....my name is Josh..Mike if I am correct (if you were the tall camera man who sometimes sported a Tool shirt) I warned you in Toronto about the guys asking about who was video-ing the show over headset...I was that scruffy guy grooving behind the dimmers every night. I figured even though I didnt get to go along to the house of blues shows etc. this would be the best place to post as it may get read. First off huge fan of Frank!!! This was my first tour ever and the crew and band were magnificent..... Terry B took Steve Feldman, Sheila G, and myself to Starbucks in Toronto.. I never imagined he would be such an open nice guy. He stopped on the street to accept a fan/and musicians cds he had made with his band..then talked to him for what seemed ten minutes...maybe less but at least he cared ...most stars couldnt care less....big thanks to Joe T. for helping me along with the video as I am a lighting guy and was practically clueless on how to use it ( wish it couldve been used more but....as we all know what happened..thats life)

I had never been on a tour bus before and everyone on our crew made me feel comfy and at home .... I wish I remebered all of your names...there was Ed, Glynn, Steve, Thomas, Dan and more...and all of them (you guys if you happen to be reading this) treated me as an equal ( though after close inspection of our Canada documents I realized I was the youngest on tour at 23) and figured I wouldve been "busted upon". All I can say is every night the band amazed me, I wish I could purchase a cd of one of the shows I did as a keepsake( one should be released)..though Nap and Terrys autographs in my tour book sufficed for now. I have to say though that Dweezil absolutely honored Frank by doing this....( wish I hadnt felt intimidated by who he was so I couldve spoken to him once besides the time Glynn, Joe, myself and him spoke briefly about the video...walking from backstage to front of house I was questioned at almost every venue by a father/son/mother team about the show.....and how excited young So and So was to see it. Its great that kids are interested in Franks music....as a musician myself I see this as a great stride from the "cut and paste" music I hear on the radio every day. I was happy to stay in touch by reading your blogs and show thoughts after I arrived home from Chicago.

To all the guys on our bus...a big thank you!! To Terry and Napoleon ..many thanks for the chit chat and autographs.....to Joe..again thanks for the vid info..if we had had those butterflys appear during a show people would still be saying WTF... Ed..I think thats your name (it seems all far away now) thanks for the vid cues..and everyone else whether crew or band thank you!!!!!!!!!! What a great first "little leg of a tour" tour. Hopefully CSL gets signed back on for lighting because I will be there, .If not I may get stuck with Jesse McCartney (sp) or cheetah Girls...YUCK!!!!!!!!!

Thankfully you are all still human beings and you havent been eaten by the stardom that is on your doorstep..thank you again...my start in the lighting industry will always be positive because of you guys!

Also the Ritz Carlton was the greatest. I Swear those people go up in the sky and bring sown clouds for the beds!

(Also on another note any mis-spellings, lack of punctuation and quickly jumping thughts are to blamed on the fact its 3:33am here in New York and I am tired....I have so many stories..hopefully i will be able to harness them to the proper show at another time...maybe tomorrow!!! :D

Zappa Forever!!!!

With utmost respect,
Josh Gezzi
Lighting tech
Creative Stage Lighting

jmg22222000@yahoo.com

Post subject: more venue comments
PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 2:17 pm 

could not agree more with the last caller - the warfield is a rathole. Nice place but the way it is run makes it garbage. I cannot believ how oversold it was, and the coinduct of the "staff" is deplorable, not just at ZPZ but for any show there since Bill Graham left us. When he did the Dead shows there itr was fantastic treatment and arrangements, these days it is bushleague. They should stop doing shows there, if you can't do it right then don;t do it is my motto. As for the band they were OK, I would have expected more Zappa alumni who actually know the material.

Post subject: Re: more venue comments
PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 12:45 am 

Can I clarify one thing regarding the Warfield? Yes, the average concert-goer's experience there can be a royal pain in the ass, for the primary reason stated above: they over-sell the venue. However, the situation is usually not quite so extreme as it was at the Zappa show, due to the tables all the way down to the front of the first level. And those tables were placed there at the request of the artist. Not the venue, not the promoter, the artist. ClearChannel (which is now going under the moniker LiveNation) would have LOVED to not have tables on the floor--they could have easily sold several hundred more tickets. But it was in the band's contract.

Also, make no mistake: the Warfield is not run by "hippies." It's run by a bunch of corporate bean-counters from Texas aka ClearChannel aka LiveNation. I have to wonder how Frank would feel knowing his music is benefitting a bunch of neo-con cronies of our current president. (In the late 70s and early 80s he didn't play shows for Bill Graham anyway--he always booked shows with other promoters.) Next time thru the bay area, I would encourage the band to solicit bids from the alternative promoter, Another Planet. At least they're local and not in league with Satan. And they don't book the Warfield.

Post subject: ZPZ at The Warfield..SF
PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 6:23 pm 

I have longed for a day when I could here Frank's music again LIVE and when I heard Dweezil was touring and was only getting as close as S.F (I live in Seattle) I bought two tickets and my son and I flew down for the show. I was excited to have my son who is 19 and just getting into Zappa experience a broard range of Frank's music live. For me, it was an emotional evening. I bought my daughter 2 tickets to see the show in Dallas this past Sat. night. She is 28 and has had Zappa music forced upon her at an early age. She loved the show in Dallas, but her husband didn't get it. (he likes whatever plays on MTV). I am going to the show in Seattle at the Paramont Theater and will be attending sound check with my brother. wfe and son. I hope that Dweezil continues spreading his fathers music around the world and occasionally stops by the Pacific Northwest.