Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 4:27 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Denver Show
PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 8:06 pm 

Amazing show... I have finally recovered enough to post/respond...
1. While many of Neil's comments are on the mark, I'm glad I'm not one of his students!!
2. Yes , Zomby Woof was played... Napi kept pointing at Vai as he sang the lyrics (at least that's what I remember...)
3. Willie the Pimp may not have been played, but it was definately teased.. I remember that CLEARLY, even commenting to my friend at the time.
4. Sheila is amazing... what a performer... AlWAYS had her game face on even when out of the spotlight... and great interactions with NMB and the rest of the band.
5. Dweezil is a CLASS act... and not just on the stage! After soundcheck, as ushers were trying to get rid of the 35 folks in there (in a nice way), Dweezil announced for us to hang around for autographs and took time to respond personally to each and every person.
6. Napi... pure energy, talent, and joy!!! That is one funny... uhm... performer. You've got more energy now than in the 70's!!!
7. How the Hell can this band be this tight??!! I've been to hundreds of a variety of shows since the early 70's...this was easily in the top 5. (Even ahead of the one time I ever saw Frank!) Vegas was fantastic and this show blew that one away...
8. Thank you Dweezil, thank you Band.... We are EVERYWHERE.... Keep the music going...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 10:41 pm 

Thanks for correktin my functions... I was not present for those #s (DAMN!!)

Post subject: ZPZ in Denver
PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 2:51 pm 

:D Thanks everybody,, :D I was at the show in Vegas and now this show in Denver! I was too damned drunk to remember much of the show in Vegas, but this show definitely made up for my previous inebriation! I was in for the sound check at 6:00, got to talk to Joe about Mothermania, and was informed be the Dweez that I was indeed too drunk in Vegas, as I mentioned I didn't remember him playing Peaches en Regalia.But the evening progressed in a manner for which I am ever grateful! I loved being front & center!! The highlight for the evening for me would have to be Dweezil's rendition of 'Peaches en Regalia'! My favorite song off the first album of Frank's I ever heard!! :roll: I'm not going to try to post a setlist as everything they played was spot-on! I especially enjoyed 'Who Are The Brain Police'! A genuine blast from the past!! :roll: Thank you Dweezil for keeping your dad's music alive!! I am looking forward to the show in Seattle in Dec. with great anticipation! Thanks again & see ya'll in Dec!!

Post subject: ZPZ in Denver
PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 3:15 pm 

OOPS!! I forgot to mention my thank you to Dweezil for autographing my 1) Zappa shirt, 2) my show poster, 3) my ticket & 4) posing for a photograph on the edge of the stage with me! I will try to post it here at the end of my post! Wish me luck!! As for the people who complained that it was too loud--WHAT?--hahaha! If it's too loud--you're too old! I have been to so many rock concerts & have shot too many guns without hearing protection, that I'm nearly deaf at this point! I have to look at peoples mouths when they talk to me so I can read their lips (no new taxes). But that is my problem!! I was in seat #5, front & center all night & I never once thought it was too loud! As for the first poster for this show, I think you're being just a tad too critical! You may be a teacher, but I don't think that you'd be able to do all that was done onstage that night! It might not have been technically perfect from your point of view, but it was the Zappa I have heard all my life--at least from the age of 7 years! With that being said, I must apologize for being critical bak at you! Seems my computer is smarter than I am--I can't figure out how to post the pic of Dweezil & myself here! Oh well, at least I still have it Thanks again Dweezil & co!!

Post subject: Yes, I was at the Denver show, Oct 2006
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 1:33 am 

First a couple of disclaimers: I'm not a musican (other than a brief stint with the sax as a kid), and I'm not a huge Zappa fan (although I've got a few "classic" Zappa albums). I went to this show because I'm a huge Vai fan. Although it was a joy to see Steve perform again, this show would have been incredible without him or the other "special guest" Terry Bozzio. This was, perhaps, the best rock show I've ever seen. Yes, Vai's performance on Zombie Woof was spectacular, but I'd say Bozzio's solos during the encore just about stole the show. To witness him harness the sound potential from that huge drum kit was simply mind boggling. And the "base" band was incredible! Really, what a HOT freakin' band!! If you're reading these online reviews wondering if you should make the effort to see this tour, don't hesitate! Again, it was one of the best rock shows I've ever seen. I hope another line up like this can be created in the future for another tour?? And lastly, seeing this show inspired me to not only pull out my copy of "Shut Up and Play Yur Guitar", but I also pulled out my old alto sax from my grammer school days!!

Post subject: Re: 18 October 2006: Denver, CO
PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 8:50 pm 

admin wrote:
Did you attend this show at the Paramount Theater in Denver?

Post your impressions/photos/reviews here.

Please do not post in this thread if you did not attend this show.

Thanks!

Zappa.com Admin
www.zappa.com

I was privileged to attend the opening of the Tour in Denver. Absolutely fabulous show. I am already making plans to see them in Dallas in Dec.
the musicians young and "older" were totally in sync, obviously having fun playing some of FZ's repetoire. I enjoyed every second of the approx 3 hour show. as I was leaving the theater I heard someone say simply, "Top Shelf"...AMEN. My next thought as I was leaving was: are there any plans to record some of the concerts. I believe they would sell easily. at least on my street... :D please make it a DBL or Triple CD. One would not be enough.
I think the US Government should test Stevie Vai and see if he is Human. I'm not sure because it seems impossible for a human to play some of the notes he plays. Thanks to all in the band for a great show and please, please, record a CD or 2. I'll be first in line to get one. I'll see you guys in Dallas. Can't wait.
For $33.00 the T-shirts should be of much better quality. I'm sure Frank would agree. Don't be greedy, get some nice T's

Post subject: Re: 18 October 2006: Denver, CO
PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 3:22 pm 

admin wrote:
Did you attend this show at the Paramount Theater in Denver?

Post your impressions/photos/reviews here.

Please do not post in this thread if you did not attend this show.

Thanks!

Zappa.com Admin
www.zappa.com

Yes, I was there; not sure how to explain why it's taken me so long to post this, but anyway - better late than never, right?
First, a big "thank you" to Guitar Player magazine for the cover story and interview(s) - reading that cemented my decision to go to the show.
Next, the biggest possible "thank you" to Dweezil for putting the band and show together. Unquestionably, your father's music deserves to continue to be heard, and you did a wonderful job bringing it again in performance to the public.
The band was, well, perfect - can't imagine anyone I would add (OK, maybe Adrian Belew and/or Ike Willis, if dreams could come true), and certainly all of the stellar musicians there that night made truly memorable contributions. I admit, having Steve Vai and Terry Bozzio in the band increased the draw factor for me, but the band as a whole was a revelation.
The ONLY negative - that high intensity spot light to the right of Bozzio's drum kit, when lit, blinded a significant percentage of the folks in the balcony. Thanks for finally turning and leaving that off. Sorry, Terry - but did you hear us screaming, first in annoyance and then with appreciation?
Now begins the hopefully not-too-long wait for the DVD(s). Put me on the list. I am very eager to relive the experience.
Thanks for having come to Denver.