Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 12:46 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 12:35 am 

Tour de Frank 07 next summer at Red Rocks? Who's wit me?!?

Post subject: A Little Wordy But What the Heck
PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 4:59 am 

I wrote this last night, just now posting. Sorry for the inaccuracies in the set list.

I never really mourned Frank Zappa’s passing, Happy at having seen several Zappa shows in the 70’s and 80’s back east, I accepted the loss the same way I accept the loss of other favorite artists that, while not technically, well, dead, certainly musically so (pick your favorite). I greeted news about the Zappa Plays Zappa tour with a bit of skepticism. I still have many megabytes of my IPOD devoted to my Zappa collection and am certainly still a huge fan, but you know, is this just wrong? Yet another Hell Freezes Over Tour designed to milk the concert-going public out of their ticket-buying dollar? After doing a little research on this very website, I decided ZPZ was worth a shot.

Far from disappointed, I was invigorated. Reawakened. My faith restored by the fact that there’s at least a building full of people in Denver that still appreciate a real concert with real music. I’m not embarrassed to say that a couple tunes (and one particular Steve Vai solo—if you were there, you know the one) gave me goose bumps. The band was tight. The selection broad. The audience great. And you could get a Guinness for just a few bucks. Darn near the perfect evening. (And free parking to boot!)

I tried to keep track of the set list. The ones I didn’t know, I made up names. But here goes. By the way, at the start, there was no Terry Bozzio and no Steve Vai. Not a problem. The band was phenomenal.

OK now here goes really.

Andy
Call Any Vegetable
Tell Me You Love Me
What Will You Do
Can’t Afford No Shoes
Willie the Wimp
I’m the Slime
Yellow Snow to St. Alfonzo (skipping Nanook Rubs It)
Inca Roads (Did a Vehicle. . . .)

Then Terry Bozzio came out. I have to interject here. His kit (which is the most bizarre drum kit this musician has ever seen) was right there front and, well right of center, but he was no where to be seen. Originally bummed that he wasn’t there, I was concerned the music would suffer. It didn’t and by this point in the show, I figured maybe Terry had a rock star moment before the show and wouldn’t be joining. Not a problem. The band and the show were already orders of magnitude more than I expected. The band was tight, Dweezil was laid back, they just played Inca Roads for God’s sake!

So they stop and Dweezil introduces Terry Bozzio. It was like stopping to put on a condom and realizing that you left them in your other pants so you go out to get them, but they’re in your gym bag which is out in the trunk, and you go out to the car, but, whoops, your keys are in your first pair of pants which you’re no longer wearing so you. . . uh, where was I? Oh yeah, Terry Bozzio. Anyway, that stop sort of took the air out of the show for an instant. I’m guessing that the break was actually a welcome one, because now it was quiet enough for hundreds of us over 40 males to hear our protesting prostates and we all collectively retired to the rest rooms. Maybe that was part of the plan. Who knows? The point is, the moment sapped the energy out of the show. Will they be able to get the energy back? Not to worry, these guys are pros. So Terry came out and after some chit-chat with DZ, Terry did what Terry came to do.

Back to the set list.

I’m so cute
I wanna be dead.
Some song from Zoot Allures
Some other unknown song
Black Page

Now at this point in the show Steve Vai came out and the reaction was kind of the opposite of the Bozzio effect. Bladders empty, the audience seemed ready for some guitar wizardry. Steve got a very rousing welcome. While Dweezil was comfortable and respectable in the zone he created for himself, I personally was lusting for some serious guitar wizardry. Steve Vai as we all know is a virtuoso in his own right, and was definitely up to the task. I think he played the remainder of the show, most of it using only his whammy bar and his scrunchy face (apologies to Firesign Theater).

But I digress. The set list, once again.

Peaches and Regalia
Montana (Dental Floss Tune) This finally shut the guy up behind me who was yelling “Montanaâ€

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 6:29 am 

The song nobody seems to know right after the encore is "Trouble Everyday." It is track 12 on the album "Freak Out" and was quite altered from its original Southern Rock roots for the show.

Truelly awesome and highly recommended...one of the best shows I have ever seen.

Post subject: Re: Paramount Theater - Denver, Colorado 10/18/2006
PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 2:13 pm 

brother monk wrote:
You guys NEED to work with some of the online bands like Widespread Panic, Gov't Mule, and Sound Tribe Sector Nine to created a place for fans to pay to download soundboards of these shows in MP3 and FLAC formats after the shows. The jamband scene is lightyears ahead with this sort of thing. The technology is already in place - look into it. The fans need access to these shows!

Amen to that Monk! I don't know why more bands that make their living performing live shows haven't jumped on the bandwagon. It looked to me as though they had a couple mics on the soundboard...I'm sure they record each show. I'd pay good $$$ for a SB copy of this performance.

C'mon Dweezil...spread Frank's music to the masses...starting with the REAL fans!

Post subject: Denver Show
PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 3:17 pm 

I started listening to Zappa in 1990 and I never had the opportunity to see him play live. I have many, many albums that I regularly enjoy (I think One Size Fits All is my favorite). I was excited to hear what Dweezil would do with his dad's music because of "You can't do that on stage anymore Vol.3". If you recall on that album, Dweezil plays the guitar solo on Sharleena when he was 15 - and it rocked! I could only imagine how much more developed Dweezil has become as a musician since then - and I wasn't disappointed in Denver.

It was the BEST show I've ever seen live - ever! Amazing skill is displayed by all of the talented musicians on stage. The set list rocked! I was so happy to hear Call any Vegetable! Cheepnis, Village of the Sun, and of course my favorite song Inca Roads.

Aside from having Frank there himself (and I did feel that he was there in spirit), I would've loved to have heard Sharleena and Son of Suzy Creamcheese. I have no complaints at all. I sat in the very last row (which was awesome because I could stand up and rock out during every song, most people sat down for the bulk of the show). It is a show I will never forget.
Thank you Dweezil, for keeping Frank's music going strong!

Last edited by mcbrew on Sat Oct 21, 2006 2:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: denver show
PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 5:03 pm 

1st of all-GREAT SHOW!! i was in the 5th row on the far left-napoleon was in front of me all night. when Vai came-out-same thing!
i DID have the chance to see Frank-was in the mid 80's at the now closed "turn of the century" in denver-now an "office depot". had front table; tried passing Frank a joint-of course he sd. no. i got to shake his hand after the show was over. dont remember much of the show-too long ago & way too many brain cells lost :)

Dweezil & the band are amazing. maybe sound & other things not perfect, but cie la vie. the overall experince was spectacular! great set list, awesome muscianship & to say Napoleon stole the show is a huge understatement. Dweezil did his thing & let the band so their's. what else can be said. songs that stood out for me: "tell me you love me" & "trouble everyday" were great! the "teenage agnst" of terry was also great! if i could suggest-do "bobby brown", "jewish princess" & "catholic girls"-yes-back to back to back. lastly, if you have a chance to see this band-GO!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 6:37 pm 

Just reviewing the setlist posted on the first page...is it just me, or is Florentine Pogan missing from the setlist? Did I imagine that tune Wednesday night? :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 7:36 pm 

^^ I think you might have just uh, imagined it unfortunately. I was hoping for that one too. Kinda like how I thought I heard San Ber’dino somewhere in the set. Wishful thinking I guess, maybe next tour.
:(

Post subject: Trilok Gurtu
PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 8:33 pm 

By comparison, I saw Trilok Gurtu twice, play ALONE, with no amplification-- totally mind blowing--- its not how loud or fast you play that generates excitement and energy-- its something else-- its IN THE CRACKS.

It is certainly exciting to hear people talk about such an amazing musician with an incredible stage presence who I also have had a chance to see live!
But what does Trilok have to do with Frank? Other than absolutely nothing, other than captivating audiences?

As far as Frank's DeedleDeedle, how about checking out the Vinnie Colaiuta era, I think Frank's playing during this period is very powerful, not necessarily noodling. :D

P.S.,
I am excited to see the show in Seattle, so I can't talk about my experiences yet.

Post subject: The Last tune
PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 3:43 pm 

The last tune was "Regyptian Strut" from the album "Sleep Dirt". If you haven't checked out "Sleep Dirt", you're missing out. It's Frank's foray into some crazy cool digital looping in the late '70s; with Bozzio, O'Hearn Yeoman and others. Especially check out the tunes "Sleep Dirt" (amazing acoustic solo high up on the neck... possibly with metal pick) and "Flambay" ... sick sick sick female vocals!

stork wrote:
who's got my phatty set list???

some friends are trying to figure out what the very last tune they played was.......

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 3:47 pm 

Handtruck, the version on Freak Out is undoubtedly mo' betta in my book... reflecting the rock era of the late '60s and its supercedent political strife.

However, the Denver show wasn't a special re-vamp, it was the "More Trouble Every Day" version from "Roxy and Elsewhere".

Definitely one of the best shows I have ever seen.

handtruck wrote:
The song nobody seems to know right after the encore is "Trouble Everyday." It is track 12 on the album "Freak Out" and was quite altered from its original Southern Rock roots for the show.

Truelly awesome and highly recommended...one of the best shows I have ever seen.

Post subject: Re: A Little Wordy But What the Heck
PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 3:58 pm 

[quote="IntheBalcony"]I wrote this last night, just now posting. Sorry for the inaccuracies in the set list.

OK now here goes really.

Andy
Call Any Vegetable
Tell Me You Love Me
What Will You Do
Can’t Afford No Shoes
Willie the Wimp
I’m the Slime
Yellow Snow to St. Alfonzo (skipping Nanook Rubs It)
Inca Roads (Did a Vehicle. . . .)

Peaches and Regalia
Montana (Dental Floss Tune) This finally shut the guy up behind me who was yelling “Montanaâ€

Post subject: ??? Songs?
PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 4:03 pm 

The questions I keep seeing are about 2 numbers

1st set - "Who are the Brain Police?"
Final Encore - "Regyptian Strut" (from Sleep Dirt)

People keep mentioning Zomby Woof... but I must have been in that long assed piss line, cuz I missed it... damn 16 oz. Michelobs!

What a fucking show!!!

Post subject: Re: oh YES
PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 4:09 pm 

[quote="neilslade"]oh yes, don't get me wrong----- I go to perhaps, one maybe two concerts a year anymore--

"I am 99% certain the last composition of the night was DZ's-- for me it was obvious because it was not the sophisticated melodic and harmonic and FORM of an experienced composer. It was kind-of an attempt to write an FZ type composition/arrangement-- but not quite there yet...."

Hey Neil... I agree with everything you said. Note on point: that last tune was Frank's: "Regyptian Strut" from 1979's "Sleep Dirt". One of my favorite instrumentals.... ok, top 20.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 5:40 pm 

Zomby Woof was DEFINITELY played in Denver...in fact, I thought it was one of the highlights of the evening.