Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:54 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: 20 October 2006: Minneapolis, MN
PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 4:50 am 
Site Admin

Did you attend this show at the Orpheum in Minneapolis?

Post your impressions/photos/reviews here.

Please do not post in this thread if you did not attend this show.

Thanks!

Zappa.com Admin
www.zappa.com

Post subject: Front line on the balcony
PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 9:06 am 

My feet never stopped moving and for just over 3 hours it was heaven!
I was amazed at the infuzed nature of the music and the tight rythyms played in a professional and yet ZAPPA way. Always a touch of sarcasim and playfulness-near perfect.
Would have loved to bring the D80 to shoot some memories for all who didn't go!!!!!! WOW I must have literally said WOW a dozen times during the show.
please welcome people to bring recorders or cameras-I KNOW NO FLASH PHOTOs right.

peace-
pr
time to drift to the muZe-in the mind...4:15am after the show

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 12:46 pm 

Awesome... Mind Altering... Perfection of Execution... HISTORIC...

These are only a few of the adjectives one could use to describe such a monumental event. Dweezil has perfected the art of what a tribute is all about. Perfection. Every song was played effortlessly (except More Trouble Everyday in which the rhytym section seemed less than confident, but still awesome), and with such tightness it was unbelievable.

I have seen close to 100 concerts since 1979 (I'm 42) and have had the pleasure of seeing Frank himself twice at the Northrup in '81 and '84 and the execution of this show was professional and clean BAR NONE, even Frank. The '81 show was spectacular being the last shows with Steve Vai, but the '84 show (abot 4 days before the Live in New York video was filmed) was flat and uninspired. Bored you could even say.

The amount of talent was gargantuan. Scheila Gonzalez and Aaron Arntz were particularly enjoyable to watch. Ever see someone play the trumpet with one hand and the keyboard with the other? WOW.

If anyone has the chance to see this extravaganza that is ZPZ, please do, you will not be disappointed. I promise.

I have only been a fan of Frank since 1981, but I have learned alot from him and that free thinking and obliteration of the norm is truly liberating.

Spread the word...Heed the message... Believe... MUSIC IS THE BEST!!!

Last edited by bryan64 on Sat Oct 21, 2006 5:00 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject: My shot at a set list...
PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 1:05 pm 

I know that's you two posts up Paul :)

Anyway here is my stab at a set list. I will admit there are some songs I do not know, so I will fill in from the Kanas City set list.

** EDIT SONGLIST **

Andy
Call any vegetable
Tell Me You Love Me
Who are the brain police?
Can't afford no shoes
Willie the Pimp
Idiot Bastard Son
Pygmy Twylyte
Cheepnis
I am the slime
Pound for a brown
Don't eat the yellow snow
St Alfonzo's Pancake breakfast
Father O'Blivion
Inca Roads
(enter terry bozzio)
I'm so cute
Trying to grow a chin
Advance romance
Punky's whips
(enter steve vai)
The Black Page
Peaches en Regalia
Movin' to Montana
Village of the Sun
Zomby Woof
Black Napkins
The Torture Never Stops
(Encore)
More Trouble Every Day
Token of My Extreme
Regypian Strut

Clocked in at about 3 hours 5 minutes

Last edited by bryan64 on Mon Oct 23, 2006 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: MPLS
PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 3:08 pm 

I never got to see a Frank show- last night was really great. Vai and Bozzio are masters, but the gems were Napoleon, Scheila and Dweezil. These people love this music and play the hell out of it.

Thanks Dweezil, and congrats to all the players. Music is the best.

Pygmie Twilight alone was worth the ticket price.

Post subject: AWESOME and Personally Moving
PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 4:04 pm 

I am one of the original Zappa fans, purchasing Freak Out in 1966 and catching crap all of my life from people who cannot appreciate Frank's genius. I was lucky enough to see Frank Zappa on 7 occasions, including in 1969 with Alice Cooper as the warm up band at the Tyrone Gutherie Theatre in Minneapolis, MN. I also saw the Grand Wazoo perform at the Hollywood Bowl in 1973 I believe. I once saw Frank with the warm-up bands being Ruben and the Jets and a new band called the Doobie Brothers at the San Diego Sports Arena.

ZPZ did an excellent job representing Frank's music. Napoleon Murphy Brock has not lost a step from the many times I saw him as Frank Zappa's lead singer and saxophone player. Dweezil has many of Frank's natural characteristics on stage, although he looks a little less comfortable on stage. The venue was great and the performance was second to none. As a forty year constant fan of Frank Zappa’s I applaud the performance, I was moved, touched and pleased to be the invited guest of my son, Daniel.

Post subject: Some setlist confirmations!
PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 5:03 pm 

The first song was indeed Andy, the 4th was Who Are the Brain Police?, and the song after Zomby Woof was Black Napkin (one of the highlights of the show!). I didn't write down tracks so unfortunately I can't remember what came after Montana though :(

The show was astonishing! One of the best I have been to in ages, right up there with my alltime favorites! Highlights other than Black Napkin for me included the opening one-two punch of Andy and Call Any Vegetable, St. Alfonzo's (it was a dream seeing it played live) and Inca Roads and Peaches (though Peaches did seem a little muddy with 3 guitarists on the melody). All day today I have been humming Torture, it was the perfect end to the MAMMOTH 3 hour set!

There were no misfires, although the audio was strangely, noticeable increased during Montana, not necessarily to a painful level but louder, in my opinion, than the technical complexity of the music can rightly support. It became hard to hear the subtle nuances of the music. Still, my only regret is that I had to leave after More Trouble Every Day, it was beyond my control but I'm bummed I missed those last 2 tunes! I'm EXTREMELY curious to know what the "mystery" song that Bryan couldn't identify is!

I was fortunate enough to be able to see the show from the 5th row and considering the length and virtuosity of the performance, I would consider the price of tickets a STEAL! We are stealing money from these brilliant performers - that's how amazing this show was, folks!

If you're reading through these postings regarding the early shows, wondering whether to plunk down that money, well, I guarantee that you will not be disappointed. I had a smile on my face the whole night, literally; my jaw hurts today! ^_^

I have to agree that Scheila and Aaron were a blast to watch, not only for their ASTONISHING skills, but for the clear joy they took in performing every song. Napoleon was a goddamn whirlwind - how a man of his age can move like that, sing like that, blow out those massive, extended, breathless arpeggios... It was positively infectious - Dweezil has truly assembled the ultimate touring group.

Who knows if ZpZ will still be going in a year? I hope it becomes an annual thing, but if the players go their own ways, I know I experienced a truly magical musical moment the likes of which I don't imagine I'll see again for some time...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 6:22 pm 

I second everything previosly said about last night's show. A wonderful experince, especially having only seen FZ once previosuly in my lifetime ('84) when much of the material played last night was not being performed live by FZ. One thing: I was concerned by some of the posts from the Denver and KC shows about it being too loud. But I found the levels to be just right and I could usually hear what each individual player was doing. The one exception was not really being able to hear Scheila G. on the flute during Torture, which bummed me a bit since that has always been a signature part of the song for me. Also, it would have been nice to have heard the full version of Yellow Snow but I geuss when you've got so much material to cover you have to take shorcuts here and there.

And, of course, Vai and Bozzio were incredible. I wish TB would have played more with the band after first coming on stage.

I heard they may return to the twin cities later on the tour. If that happens, me and all of my FZ compatriots will be there - again!!! (yes Eric, I'm talking to you)

Post subject: Fill the gap(s)
PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 9:09 pm 

Two words about the show last night....amazing and amazing!

Dweezil and the Zappa Family, many thanks for putting the band/tour together and including Mpls on your itinerary. It was a treat and I hope this FZ enlightenment event continues in many years to come.

Although, I do not remember song order, I do recall hearing "Chunga's Revenge", "Village Of the Sun" and some riffing on "Token of My Extreme" (read Steve - during the band introduction).

Music is the best!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 10:42 pm 

Hey Guys,
I flew down from winnipeg to see the show last night and it was worth every penny! I had flown to Toronto earlier this year to see that show and was slightly dissapointed for various reasons (no napolean, show was cut way short due to union hall cerfews) but this show more than made up for it.

Just to clear up a few things about the setlist. The missing songs from above are (after Montana) Village of the Sun, then Echidna's Arf. Also The token riff did present itself for a very breif period right before the end, between Trouble and Regyptian Strutt but there was definatly NO Chunga's Revenge heard at any point.

The one very tiny dissapointment for me still, is that I've seen two shows now and still not heard Sofa....oh well....maybe at the next one.

Oh yeah another cool thing that I saw.....After the show all the Hardcore fans were waiting around by the bus for autographs and pictures and there was this woman there probably in her late 30's/early 40's and she had with her a Kramer guitar that she had won in an MTV contest from Dweezil 18 years earlier! (For those that don't know, the Dweez was a VJ on MTV when he was a teenager) She had been waiting all those years to get him to sign it, which he did of course! Just thought that was kinda neat.....

Post subject: Thank you...
PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 12:44 am 

The show meant a great deal to me. The ensemble sounded coherant. I never got to hear Frank live. I did not need or expect to get a CC of what's out there on record. What a fun crowd of folks at the show. It was very moving. Hope there might be a CD or podcast out soon!

Here are my only ponderous comments. Again, the sound...lead guitar not loud enough for the first half. I also noticed that it later got cranked up, alas after I had missed some solos. I heard others yelling about this too. Later on the whole show seemed louder--straining the systems being used--minor disotrtion and certainly loss of clarity. Not so much a matter of too loud but not enough power or something. Also, some balance problems. Horns too loud in places. Drums unfortunately too loud. This was maybe the biggest departure from what I was expecting. I have seen concert video and YCDTOSA volumes, as well as the classic live cuts. The polyrhythms, the music of that section, always seemed way more critical to FZ than the volume. I know music evolves and we don't want a ship in a bottle. The gunshot drums were comparable to the Secret Machines concert I wen to in April. Deafening.

This is not to detract from the overall extreme musicianship displayed during the show. Did anyone else sense the political tension now conjured up through the playing of "Torture" and "Trouble?" I wondered if we might see a Rice and Bush mask appear at "look at her...look at him." It made me very conscious and personally ashamed. I though of the scene FZ described of the soldiers destroying the baby "VC" doll onstage. Highbrow, eh? But I also felt previllaged to share in some public rejection of today's fascist state. "Especially today," indeed, DZ!

Again, thank you all.

Post subject: Minneapolis concert 10/20
PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 1:13 am 

Hi all --- Wow...my husband and I were there last night, and we second all the raves everyone else has posted so far! The show was BEYOND AWESOME, one of the very best concerts I have ever attended. And my husband, who was lucky enough to see Frank in concert 3 times (in the 80s), says the band was as good as Frank and his bands back then. Since Frank's death though, we had just about given up hope of ever seeing his music played live by anyone worthy of doing it. We hoped, and expected, that ZPZ would be up to it -- but they blew away even our expectations. I was especially thrilled to hear Call Any Vegetable, Can't Afford No Shoes, Inca Roads, Cheepnis, Montana, I Am the Slime, Zomby Woof, I'm So Cute, Punky's Whips, and of course Peaches en Regalia. And More Trouble Every Day was the perfect encore!

What also blew us away was how tight the band was. Frank's music is NOT easy, but they had totally mastered it, and seemed to have the same kind of amazing chemistry and energy Frank's bands used to. Dweezil, I would hesitate to put words in your Dad's mouth, but I truly believe he would be proud of you, and of the whole band! My only complaint is, what a shame Kenny G wasn't really there to play Willie the Pimp....JUST KIDDING!! :lol:

Seriously, keep up the FABULOUS work, Dweezil and everyone, and PLEASE, PLEASE play back in Minneapolis/St. Paul ANY TIME!

Cheers,
Jenzi

Post subject: Re: 20 October 2006: Minneapolis, MN
PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 3:29 am 

I've been to many $100 per ticket concerts in the past and pound for pound this show was well worth the money at half the price!
The chance to see a show like this at a smaller venue is like no other concert I've been to including the Zappa benefit concert at the Ritz in NYC in the early 90's. I was fortunate to catch FZ during what I believe was the last world tour in the late 80's in NJ. Having been too young to attend the mothers day shows in Balto in my hometown (different parish than St A's), I had always looked forward to seeing him live one day, and was not dissapointed when it finally happened. Last nights show offered a rare chance to see this amazing one of a kind music played close up (alot different than the 15,000 fans in front of me). The sound was great (volume was a little low in the 27th row till SV came out) but nevertheless crystal clear and quite awe inspiring! At 42 yrs old, the best was being able to turn on a 24 yr old coworker who had never heard of FZ and bring him last night. He was almost in disbelief at how incredible the musicians were and commented that this (discovering FZ/ZPZ) has been a life changing experience for him! I've never been to a concert where the fans were up and down on their feet all night and the entire crowd (4000+) were standing and cheering for the final 2 songs. Over 3 straight hours, are you kidding me? Hats off to Dweezil and ZPZ! Please come back to the Twin Cities!

Post subject: The things we do for love.
PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 1:32 pm 

I was never exposed to Frank growing up. I think my mother thought "music like that" was wrong.
My husband and I got tickets to the Chicago show last June and I admit that I went 1) because I love my husband and he loves Frank Zappa and 2) I live Chicago and I got a free trip out of the deal.
Then my husband discovers that ZPZ is coming here. Again I go, because I love my husband.
Something happened at this show that I cannot explain. There was something in the air at the Orpheum. I fell in love with the music (and Dweezil, too). We have been talking about the show nonstop for almost two days.
Dweezil, your goal was to expose new people to Frank's music. You have succeeded. Thank you for opening my heart to your fathers music.

Post subject: Re: Thank you...
PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 1:57 pm 

enolcmelca wrote:
Did anyone else sense the political tension now conjured up through the playing of "Torture" and "Trouble?" I wondered if we might see a Rice and Bush mask appear at "look at her...look at him." It made me very conscious and personally ashamed. I though of the scene FZ described of the soldiers destroying the baby "VC" doll onstage. Highbrow, eh? But I also felt previllaged to share in some public rejection of today's fascist state. "Especially today," indeed, DZ!

Yes, we were all talking about that on the ride home too. I was saying that "Torture" was a song that had almost fell out of favor with me in more recent years and my friends were stating how the song is more relelvant than ever now. So true...

pkrfntc wrote:
Again I go, because I love my husband.

My wife also reluctantly went to the show with us (I had bought an extra ticket with several friends in mind who I thought would want to go but decided against it for one reason or another - their loss!). Anyway, my wife has never been a big Zappa fan - she appreciates the musicianship and some of the humor, but she has never quite gotten into the jam band thing as I have. But she has always been a big music-history-trivia buff. She had never heard of the song "Punky's Whips" but knew very well of the whole Angel one-hit-wonder thing (has the album,of course) and so when they broke into "Punky's Whips" she was busting a gut in her seat. Definitely one of the highlights of the show for her, and for me...I love hearing her laugh.

Thanks Dweezil, for bringing smiles to our faces.