Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Mon Sep 15, 2014 2:09 am

All times are UTC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 2:10 pm 

If you read the blog at the Tour de Frank section of zappa.com, you will read what the reply 2 posts up said. It was the best show yet of the tour. There was something in the air and it was truly magical.

I too was deeply saddened when Frank passed, believing that the music would never again be played live properly. That has all changed. I hope, for the coming years DZ and company (whom ever he recruits) will be able to bring us the ultimate in live entertainment.

Post subject: Zappa plays!
PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 7:03 pm 

THANK-YOU
Thanks to Dweezil, Thanks to Napoleon, Thanks to Steve and Terry, Thank you to the band and what a pleasure to be there to see the BEST performance.
THANKS again

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 8:00 pm 

this show was absolutely amazing. i find it an honor to hear Frank's music live and am very very pleased to havebeen in attendance, thanks Dweez.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 4:31 am 

This was one of my favorite concerts I've ever seen! Having listened to countless albums and songs by Frank, it was so fun to hear and see it all live. Even though it wasn't Frank himself on stage, it was awesome!
I really enjoied the setlist! Hearing "I'm the Slime" live was worth the price of admission alone.
I was surpirsed to hear that this visit to Minnepaolis was Dweezil's first. hopefully we showed him how much fun of a city this is and he'll decide to come here again. I would really like to see this ZPZ concept become a yearly occasion!
Dweezil, please keep this thing going for years to come! There's enough material in the "kitchen" for you to play into your sixties!!!
Thank you for stopping in Minneapolis.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 5:10 am 

Having seen Frank many times as I "grew up" in NYC & around the area, I was very impressed with the show the other night.
He used to play Halloween shows at the Felt Forum & Palladium Theathers back in the 70's. I even got to see him at Stony Brook in the gym.

Excellent job by DZ & the band. Look forward to their return!!!

Post subject: Re: Minneapolis concert 10/20
PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 7:55 pm 

Jenzi wrote:
And my husband, who was lucky enough to see Frank in concert 3 times (in the 80s), says the band was as good as Frank and his bands back then.

Hey there Z!

I totally agree with you, except I saw Frank 4 times, not 3! :-) I would have even saw Frank a 5th time, touring solo with his Synclavier, but alas, fate had other plans for the Maestro. :(

Yes, ZPZ was as good as any of them too! It was a real treat to see Dweezil and Little Stevie Vai trading lines.

Dweezil is doing a major service to Western music with this project. May he please, PLEASE, PRETTY PLEASE (!!!) continue in this endeavor and may he have much success.

A suggestion: how about taking Frank's music to Broadway, doing say a theatrical presentation of Joe's Garage Act I, II and III? Who would be worthy of writing the book for the stage version?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 11:47 pm 

First, the minuses.
A couple of people have noted that there were sound problems with this show. Maybe it was my spot (right side, row BB, main floor) but I would have to concur with them. For much of the show the vocals were unintelligible (although I knew what they were because I have the records), and the intracacy of many of the arrangements was covered by a boomy bass. Also, many of the vocal parts consisted of just the lead and one harmony voice, which was inadequate considering the size of the ensemble and the original arrangements. DZ doesn't quite have his father's timing (yet) as far as presenting the material, nor does he have his father's conducting ability (again yet), but considering where he's at at this point of his career, he's well on his way. Time will heal those flaws (if in fact they are flaws at all; some people may respectfully disagree).
That's out of the way. Now the pluses.
For DZ to go on the road and even attempt this feat, given his father's daunting legacy, is amazing. And he has assembled a band of marvelous, talented, and personable performers, who played their hearts out, and gave a very appreciative crowd what they came to see; superb playing and ample humor (with a few tongue-in-cheek Minnesota references, in addition to the more widely topical stuff).
Despite my very slight misgivings, it was a fabulous show. It will be interesting to see what people in other parts of the Orpheum thought of the sound mix. Like I said, it could have been my seat. But I thank DZ, his band of merry musicians, and the folks up in Minneapolis for a very enjoyable evening. I'll see ya next time 'round.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 6:26 pm 

This was the best anybody could ask for, some people just don't get it, but I do, I had a seat in the balcony 10 rows up in the center, and i swear Dweezil looked at me every time i stood up to clap my hands and say " hell yes, thats what i'm talkin about," absolutly perfect, from beginning to end, I looked at my watch all night long, it was like this is never goona end, lets hope so, with so much music to play, The band played all my favorites, brought back memories i have not had for 20 plus years, before the show at home i listened to YCDTOSA #3 with dweezil on guitar, (1st time with frank on stage) sharleena , and that was played in 1984, fast forward 22 tears, Masterful musician, i wish i could travel to all the shows, please come back to MPLS or close Please!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 5:52 pm 

Almost a week after the show and I am still smiling. My first encounter with Frank live was in Beloit WI, 1971. While that is a bit foggy I can say last Fridays show in Mpls is in full and clear view. The music was superb, the setlist more entertaining than I could have imagined and unlike a few others I thought the 1st half of the show had Dweezil's guitar too low. I was happy he asked for the volume to go up. 3rd row, center section, balcony. The 3 hours passed before in what seemed like a few minutes. Wonderful show and a wonderful time

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 5:59 pm 

Wow!! I'm 22 and was raised with FZ playing in the background. The concert was unbelievable. I was in awe the entire time. I thought the rumbling bass felt in your feet was great. A few days after the show I picked up THE DUB ROOM SPEACIAL dvd and had noticed Napoleon in the movie. That guy is great and has the same great moves as he did over twenty years ago. I was so very impressed by everything there. I dont think I'll ever see musicians that good ever again in my entire life. SO COME BACK AND PLAY AGAIN!!!

Thanks, GREAT SHOW

Thanks for bringing me, dad

Post subject: Young Zappa fan
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 8:24 pm 

I am fairly young (I was 12 when Frank passed) and never had a chance to see or hear Frank's music growing up. About 5 years ago I was looking for "new" music to listen to and picked up "Burnt Weenie Sandwich" at a record store. Ever since then, I've been hooked. I was ecstatic when I heard that the ZpZ show was coming to Minneapolis since I never thought I would ever get to hear Frank's music live. I attended the show and was absolutely enthralled for the entire 3+ hours of music! (The vocals sounded a little muffled where I was sitting) I truly hope ZpZ becomes a recurring event that returns to Minneapolis!!! If it does, I know that I'll be there!!! Music is the BEST!!! Thanks to all you Zappa's!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 4:40 am 

This show was great! They played (in my opinion) all of Frank's best stuff!