Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 4:30 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: 19 November 2011: Edinburgh, UK
PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 8:25 pm 
Site Admin

Did you attend the ZPZ show at Picturehouse in Edinburgh, UK?

Dweezil and the band love reading your reviews.

Please do not post in this thread if you did not attend the show.

Mikey
Zappa.com Webmeister

Post subject: Re: 19 November 2011: Edinburgh, UK
PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 4:02 pm 

I attended the show at the Picture House in Edinburgh. As far as I could tell the band were excellent but the sound was absolutely dreadful. The Titties and Beer crowd were out in force and were mostly drunk and loud. 1500 people squeezed into a dance hall is not the way to experience Frank's music. Very disappointing.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 3:30 pm 

I don't know where Chrismarra was for the gig but I thought it was absolutely fantastic. The performance was excellent and the sound engineer did an absolutely fantastic job IMHO.
I was only in Edinburgh for the weekend visiting friends and came across the gig purely by chance. Needless to say it made my weekend !

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 7:20 pm 

Well, I was there on Saturday & from where I parked meself (right down the front, stage left) it sounded pretty damn spot-on to me :D....but wadda I know, I just a dancing fool. Please come back again soon guys, it were wunderfuel ps Belfast Billy, you oot there? If ya reading this then find me on FB (it's J) x x x

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 12:17 pm 

HI, the gig in Edinburgh was great, as usuall, there were a few sound problems though! It never sounded any where near as good as the last time(2009)they played the same venue!(I hung at virtually the same place in the pit on both occasions)One of my friends mention it sounded better upstairs than down(the venue is an old converted cinema on several levels), i took to the pit(As mentioned above) and hung there all night, it never sounded great! i was at the gig they played in Glasgows Concert hall, now that gig and venue, the sound was fantastic and they way the gig built was excellent! Roll on the Zappa Plays Zappa circus!We Love It....
Ps.Chrismarra would be a fan of the Glasgow Concert Hall!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 6:10 pm 

Loved this gig, loved the set list and felt like I was listening to a band at the top of their game. However, would also say that the sound quality was shit, and as I was standing close to the sound techs at one stage I can only assume they could hear it the same as me and there was nothing they could do about it. When Dweezil addressed the crowd, on several occasions, it was VERY difficult to pick up what he was saying. The contrast with the quality of Frank's HD video footage was remarkable. That was crystal clear, beautiful notes, and it made the (crap) sound quality of ZPZ all the more noticeable when it switched back.

And I don't know what it is about over 50's (do they not get out much?) but I didn't pay good money to listen to way-off-key verbatim renditions of 'Don't Eat The Yellow Snow' 'St Alfonsos Pankake Breakfast' etc. by oldies next to me. And even worse during the spoken dialogue (...That got me just about as evil as an eskimo boy can be. so I bent down. And I reached down, and I scooped down and I gathered up a generous...OMFG! STOP IT!!!)

The last time I had this many old codgers trying to sing was at Leonard Cohen (I suppose at least this time I only paid 30 quid to hear them, Cohen cost me 75). Please old people, just don't. I too know all the words, so what? They seemed to quieten down as the gig went on so maybe it was getting close to their bedtime or something, but I moved position 3 times to avoid listening to someone who quite rightly wasn't on stage...

Great gig though!

fc

http://redwing.hutman.net/~mreed/warrio ... utclue.htm

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 6:23 pm 

Sorry, also meant to say, I think this gig would have been greatly improved if it were seated. A few Dancing Fools might disagree but it was good enough for FZ at Wembley in 88...

fc

http://redwing.hutman.net/~mreed/warrio ... utclue.htm