Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 3:12 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: 17 February 2012: Chico, CA
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:04 am 
Site Admin

Did you attend the ZPZ show at El Rey Theater in Chico, CA?

Dweezil and the band love reading your reviews.

Please do not post in this thread if you did not attend the show.

Mikey
Zappa.com Webmeister

Post subject: Re: 17 February 2012: Chico, CA
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:05 pm 

I enjoyed the show Sooooo much! I hope the band enjoyed Chico. It's the first time I've been able to see them without driving over 100 miles (with the exception of Redding). According to Dweezil the set included more obscure pieces from the early Mothers. I knew every song. I loved it! Hearing some of those early tunes played live such as Who Are The Brain Police, I was aware of a complexity in the tune that had alluded me listening to records. One of the roadies did Beefheart's vocal parts for Debra Kadabra. He was the highlight of the show. What fun!!!! Carolina Hardcore ecstasy brought a standing ovation.

My granddaughter who is turning 14 next month just took up electric bass this year and I swear I could have kicked myself for not bringing her. She is familiar with some of Frank's music but I swear for now on she's coming!
While standing out front Joe came up to us and chatted awhile. What a wonderful man! He told us that the band was having some problems with the sound at the El Rey what with the high ceilings but it sounded great where we were at. (Second row)
During the encore the front of the theatre filled up with mosh-pit type crazies which brought smiles to all of us, the band and the audience.
So many times when I attend a ZPZ show I have to fight tears. Thank you thank you thank you to Dweezil and all the other wonderful musicians who bring us Frank's music and play it soooo well. I truly believe that this music and it's composer have yet to receive the large scale recognition it deserves. While yes he is known all around the world, one day he will be even better appreciated and his name will as well known as Mozart. Until next time...