Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sat Aug 23, 2014 5:23 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: 19 February 2012: Agora Hills, CA
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:06 am 
Site Admin

Did you attend the ZPZ show at Canyon Club in Agora Hills, CA?

Dweezil and the band love reading your reviews.

Please do not post in this thread if you did not attend the show.

Mikey
Zappa.com Webmeister

Post subject: Re: 19 February 2012: Agora Hills, CA
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:37 pm 

I didn't get a set list, but I'm told it was close to the other shows in this tour, which meant lots of great music! From very early stuff (without looking I think it was the Absolutely Free & Freak Out albums), to some of his later stuff it all sounded great. Trouble Every Day will never grow old. Scott Thunes (played bass with Frank in the 80's) was great. Alan Wadsworth simply amazing on the SynthAxe. The whole band was just spot on, and it was a really nice cross section of Frank's music. Pete Griffin rocked vocals on the song he did, and Ben Thomas was great as usual, and really seemed to be having fun. Scheila is fantastic, and of course Dweezil never missed a beat. The entire band was tight, very pleasant to watch, and the songs were great. Whipping Post was great to close with.
The sound check party was good, not quite as nice as at the Music Box though. It lasted about an hour though and was well worth it.
The acoustics in the Canyon club seemed pretty good, a relatively small venue. You would have thought it was their first time serving dinner though, that was awful. It took well over an hour to get our meal, never got our salads, the waiter blamed everything on the kitchen. Food was cold, served way out of sequence. Some of the people who ordered before us didn't get served until the concert started. The drunk couple next to us ducked out on their bar bill. I didn't expect great food, but the service was really sub par. Then the waiter couldn't get anyone's bill right.
Still a great show, looking forward to the next one.
Bruce