Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 3:31 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: 13 November 2012: Cardiff, UK
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:18 pm 
Site Admin

Did you attend the ZPZ show at St. David's Hall in Cardiff, UK?

Dweezil and the band love reading your reviews.

Please do not post in this thread if you did not attend the show.

Mikey
Zappa.com Webmeister

Post subject: Re: 13 November 2012: Cardiff, UK
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:58 pm 

A Zappa came to Wales!!*

Thoroughly happy - that was my fifth ZPZ now and starting to build up a load of nice memories, the Apostrophe tour, a couple of neato straight ahead rocking combo gigs like this one, the big Roudhouse gig a while back and the Vai/Brock tour - just have the "Flo and Eddie" tour now and I'll be happy!

Setlist seems to be more fixed during this tour - from what I can tell from Youtube clips (am I allowed to mention that here? sod it - nice when you've been partying - Youtube makes you remember what you saw!) - my particular faves this time were the old stuff like Hungry Freaks and Brain Police - played proper psychedelic (how many bands can sound like that these days) - Cretins and a few other places of standout guitar - nice bagpipes in Peaches! Loved how tight the instrumentals often are - and yet for all its splendour I'm still aching to hear those keystone lyrics in Strictly Genteel ("Help everyone so they all get some action, some love on the weekend, some real satisfaction") - Flo and Eddie sing that nice! Lovely way to end the show though.

And of course loved the Welsh girl who I think is called Sioned Eleri Roberts (from Bangor University?)playing all through the encores on clarinet (and speaking Welsh on a Zappa stage - tidy!) - bits where she cut through sounded wonderful and I loved the exchanges with Dweez - him leading her through it by the hand reminded me of Vai leading Dweez through exchanges back in the day (before he was awesome!). I note she played at least one other gig on the tour - a new WELSH addition to the band would be nice! Oh yes - and another Sheila honkfest after the whistling exchanges with the crowd.

Chuffed how the band went down, felt like a very genuine standing ovation at the end - I think the majority of fans who come to these gigs are happy to sit - well unless ZPZ come to Wales again I'm searching out the standing gigs - cannae stand not dancing no more! You really need to be pogoing to Take Your Cloths Off - head bobbing to Gumbo, jiving to Disco Boy.

All Hail Tour de Frank!!

* was rather frustrated at the start when Dweez was asking whether it was the first Zappa in this "region" (it's a country) and someone was shouting out Bath (that's a different country). I've never seen any suggestion that Frank played Wales (and I got lots of lists!).