Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:18 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: 23 October 2006: Buffalo, NY
PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 6:39 pm 
Site Admin

Did you attend this show at the University of Buffalo?

Post your impressions/photos/reviews here.

Please do not post in this thread if you did not attend this show.

Thanks!

Zappa.com Admin
www.zappa.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 3:52 am 

The show was amazing. The show started about 15 minutes late, and lasted for about 3 hours and 15 minutes. I've seen Frank at least eight times starting in 1977 and this band was as tight as many of the bands I've seen. Napolean was an extraordinary showman, making me laugh through out the show.

For me, the higlight of the show was Terry Bozzio. Punky's Whips, Tryin' to Grow a Chin and I'm so Cute were all worth the price of admission. Dweezil did a nice job on guitar and I thought his conducting was very entertaining. I'm grateful that he got this tour together. Frank's music must be played. The crowd (pretty long in the tooth) was really into it, giving frequent standing ovations.

I've never been a big fan of The Torture Never Stops, but I really enjoyed this rendition. More Trouble Every Day was also very outstanding. I was hoping to hear Willie the Pimp, but they only played the theme a little bit.

All the musicians in the band are quite good, but Sheila is special because she adds a lot of personality to the band.

Steve Vai of course was playing his bistering virutuoso guitar, but he really didn't play that much.

Excellent show, I hope they do this again next year! :lol:

Post subject: Buffalo October 23, 2006
PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 3:17 pm 

Great show. Great venue. Great seats. Loved every minute of it, all 190 of them. I’ve been listening to FZ since 1974 when I was 16. Bought Hot Rats then and every album since. Great to hear Peaches last night. I saw Frank in 1978 and 1979 in Toronto when Bozzio and Belew were starting out and had my Zoot Allures album signed by Frank and the band during that tour, so hearing Black Napkins and Torture were especially satisfying. Black Napkins was the highlight of my night. Also loved Dweezil’s solo in Punky’s Whips. Andy, Inca Roads, and Advance Romance too – Wow! I was also at the Toronto show this year without Napoleon. I think he is amazing, but after seeing Sheila doing the vocals in Toronto and what a great job she did, I think she should be getting a little more time in the spotlight. Not too many young people in the crowd, but those that were there seemed to be totally into it. I was sitting in the 8th row in the center in front of some of Joe’s relatives (sounded like a sister maybe?). When Joe was dueling with Terry, she was screaming her brains out (Joey! Joey!). It was great! Hats off to Joe who played the drums as well as Terry did 27 years ago. Dweezil seemed to be a lot more relaxed this time and there were some great moments when he talked to the crowd. His solos start off pretty slow and low key and at first I was thinking – man do I miss Frank, but he builds them into something great that is his own. I really like Steve Vai and have seen him live, but last night I think Dweezil topped Steve in a couple of his solos - way to go! It’s not all about how many notes you can play. Come back any time – I’ll be there. Bring Belew next time – City of Tiny Lights! The only problem with the Buffalo show was with the guy manning the spotlight. He seemed to be totally out to lunch with the spot on the wrong person or improperly aimed. They should get a lighting guy with talent to match the musicians – he definitely detracted from the show.

Mr. K

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 4:09 pm 

Message to the band-------You all did an excellent job of playing Frank's music , however "in my opinion" last night your sound board controller did Frank's music a disservice by playing it so loud it was not enjoyable. I saw Frank several times in the 70's-80's and don't recall the volume control ever being an issue.
The UB Art Center was built for acoustics..what happened ?

Murray

Post subject: Loud
PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 4:15 pm 

racermurray wrote:
Message to the band-------You all did an excellent job of playing Frank's music , however "in my opinion" last night your sound board controller did Frank's music a disservice by playing it so loud it was not enjoyable. I saw Frank several times in the 70's-80's and don't recall the volume control ever being an issue.

Murray

Agreed - Too loud! Not necessary. Bass was overpowering at the end.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 4:45 pm 

Thanks Dweezil and company, what a great show to see!

Agree on the mix, it went all mushy half way thru, the drums lost all their definition. The light man should learn the show and maybe pay attention.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 5:28 pm 

Having never seen FZ in concert (give me a braek, I was 15 when he died!) it was a real treat to finally hear his music live. The band simply kicked ass. Sadly, I have to agree with the other posters here and say the same cannot be said for whoever was manning the sound board and the spotlights. The spotlight issue I could deal with. Sure, it was sloppy, but at least it didn't effect the performace at all. Whoever set the sound so loud to be on the edge of distortion the whole concert should be dragged out into the street and shot, though.

That said, the concert was still a lot of fun. The part wer Dweezil was going back and forth between conducting the band and the crowd was hilarious (in a good way), and the highlight of the show, at least for me, was finnally hearing The Black Page performed live by a master drummer. (Terry Bozzio rocks!)

One thing though... how can you play Don't Eat the Yellow Snow and lead into St. Alfonzo's Pancake Breakfast and NOT play Nanook Rubs It inbetween??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 6:46 pm 

I'm one of those "long in the tooth" patrons of the arts who attended last night's concert. Did you kiddies think that you invented Frank Zappa. I started listening to FZ in 67 or 68 When Freak Out by the Mothers of invention was a new release, and the reason that I loved it so much was because my parents couldn't stand to hear it comming out of my bedroom. I only learned what a fantastic talent FZ was after listening for a while. I've seen Frank several times and I must say that his son does his work proud. Frank as a composer was, for the most part pretty serious in order to get this complex music played correctly. Dweezil seems to have learned to relax and have fun while he plays.In order to be brief I'll just say that the whole band was excellent with Napolean in rare form. I must agree that the spot light coverage left something to be desired and it was a trifle too loud but what the hell it's a rock concert. I haven't been moved like that in years. I'll go again

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 6:47 pm 

Anyone have a setlist handy btw?

I want to emphasize that the musicianship and showmanship that was on that stage just blew me away, start to finish. This is a great thing you people did, bringing this music back to life the way it should be done. Who says you can't do that on stage anymore?!

Post subject: Re: Loud
PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 6:51 pm 

Mr. K wrote:
racermurray wrote:

Murray

Agreed - Too loud! Not necessary. Bass was overpowering at the end.

I couldn't disagree more.

Yes it was loud, LOUD AND CLEAR. Perhaps you folks were sitting way up front on top of the speakers or something. I was seated in the center orchestra section about 15 rows back. You must not realize there are people quite a ways back and you can't have low volume and have those far back hear a clear powerful perfomance. I carry earplugs because I see alot of live shows, and I had absolutely no need for them at that show.

If you think the acoustics suck in that building your hearing is shot. I've seen shows at venues all over the USA and canada and haven't found a better sounding venue, of any size anywhere.

Great show great sound. If they do another tour next year I can't wait to see what tunes they will pull out from the archives.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 7:52 pm 

We brought our 14 year old to the show last night and we were are amazed. He is a big zappa fan. Deweezil and the band were posessed by Frank's spirit. It was a great joy to see his happiness.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 11:22 pm 

Setlist, anyone?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 11:49 pm 

If you are going to this, it will easily be the best $50 you will spend in your life.I never had the pleasure of seeing Frank live, so this was just amazing to say the very least. I was at the Toronto show that was more laid back & featured an entirely different setlist & lead vocals by joe & more from sheila as Napoleon was not there.I had to come back for more. Napoleon added a whole new dimension & raised the bar. My eyes welled up a couple times of sheer joy from hearing these songs played by this band.Check out this setlist & you will begin to understand. Fasten your seatbelt!

Andy
call any veg
tell me you love me
brain police
can't afford no shoes
pygmy twylyte
idiot bastard
cheepnis
I am the slime
pound for a brown
yellow snow
St. Alfonzo
inca roads
Terry Bozzio:
I'm so cute
trying to grow a chin
advance romance
Punky's Whips
Steve Vai:
black page
peaches
montana
village
echidnas
zomby woof
black napkins
torture
trouble
regypian strut
sofa

tiny lights
flo po
hungry freaks

Post subject: set list
PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 12:25 am 

Tiny lights, flo po, and hungry freaks were not played.

Post subject: BAD SOUND...TOO LOUD...
PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 12:32 am 

I have been listening to Zappa since I was a teen in the 70s. I made a few concerts on LI back then and into the 80s. I don't ever remember a show that wasn't crystal clear. I have just about every album (missing some bootlegs)...and I think I know every tune by heart.

Something went wrong last night.

The bass was distorted and so blown out that there were songs I didn't recognize until even a half a minute in because I just couldn't hear what was going on. I could see it, I knew the musicians were doing their jobs, but someone in the sound crew flubbed -- big time. Dead center, last row on the floor I struggled to listen to the music...music I love. Some of the performances were obviously fabulous, and the others simply great, and the whole apparently sound, well selected and not rushed. But regretfully I found the sound so bad that I walked out with my date (no, she wasn't complaining, she knows what this music is to me)...just after More Trouble Every Day.

I have never been at a concert where I relied more on my eyes than my ears. It may have been the UB sound system, I don't know. It is sad because I could tell the music was being played, I could see the reaction of others...It just didn't happen where I was. I probably should have said something to someone, but it didn't seem to get better when I went out to the lobby. Some people might be more forgiving, but I wanted to hear the music, not just know that it was there. It was like being blind and trying to understand color. I left disappointed.

It is a shame that at least some of us didn't hear the show that the musicians deserved us to hear. I'm envious of those that had the better listen.