Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 6:07 am

All times are UTC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 12:37 am 

Check out Bozzio's kit.
http://flickr.com/photos/98487198@N00/278611529/

Secret Word - "omphaloskepsis" contemplation of one's navel as an aid to meditation

Last edited by Mr. K on Wed Oct 25, 2006 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Took the edge off a great show
PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 1:42 am 

For my money, this was a fantastic show that was dragged down by a couple of unfortunate things: first and foremost, the sound mix. Napolean's mic didn't allow the vocals to come through well at all, leading to muddy and distorted vocals. The mix just about locked out the percussion. Volume was fine until Bozzio and Vai came out; then they cranked it up and lost it entirely; too much bang and distortion to truly enjoy the songs. Drums over-played big-time. :(

That said, my only other complaint was the lack of video footage of Frank. I was hoping for a real touching father-son moment that never came. There was no hint of Frank at all, beyond the mustache on the drum kit. Unfortunate.

Otherwise, AWESOME show, fantastic musicianship. I thought the song selection could have been a little more representative; several "sound-alike" selections where any number of other Frank songs would have worked better, but I can understand most of the choices.

I'm sure Frank would have had more fun with the drunks in the audience than Dweezil did, but it was an enjoyable side show.

All in all, I'm certain Frank would have been proud, and his music was well-served. How about a re-union tour with Ike or some of the other old stalwarts?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 1:54 am 

By the way, the band's extended take on "Torture" was probably the best version (of the MANY) I have ever heard. It also was one of the few moments that allowed Napolean's vocals to shine through. "Advance Romance" -- phenomenal and a fitting choice for inclusion.

Napolean's dancing was reminiscent of an old Frank show, providing many of the evening's lighter moments. Sheila's dancing (and playing, and vocals) were likewise incredible and very appreciated. :lol:

Post subject: I'm not the biggest Zappa fan
PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 12:54 pm 

and have never seen him live, thus I have very little to compare the UB performance to. My main impetus to see the show was to listen to my hero Terry Bozzio. To see his incredible jaw dropping solo near the end of the concert was worth the price of admission for me!

Unfortunately most of Terry's "low end" portion of the kit (think floor toms and bass drums) was lost in the mix during ensemble playing. Most of the mallet player’s passages were to me unintelligible as well. The portions I did hear indicated a high degree of talent and ability, but the extent of that ability I still don’t know. The vocals were at best muddled and at worst incomprehensible.

This is not meant to indict or impugn anybody’s work (save the sound engineer, perhaps) as this was and is a group of obviously incredibly talented musicians. But for this attendee the sonic landscape which had great potential was lost in a cacophony of reverb, low end distortions, and rumblings.

Mr. Bozzio – I love your work and always will!! :lol:

Steve Vai – The hospital called, your guitar is out of intensive care and is now searching for a lawyer! (My good God, you are gifted!) :shock:

Peace and love,

MJS (fatguy)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 1:44 pm 

I saw the Toronto and Buffalo shows and wish I could see more. The great thing about the Zappa Plays Zappa concert is that Frank's music is the real star.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 2:34 pm 

Well I had the privledge of seeing both Toronto and Buffalo shows and can say that this should have been done a long, long time ago!!!
Was also one of the lucky ones who won the auction and got the chance to see the soundcheck and get the poster!! Well worth the extra 30 bucks a ticket!
Was an excellent job by ALL musicians!!
Thank you all so much!

DON'T FORGET US NEXT TOUR!!

"Where do I go to get my stomach pumped in Buffalo???"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 9:12 pm 

This was the second time I've seen this band, and it's really great that Dweezil is doing this. Especially for younger fans such as myself (im 20) who never got the chance to see the real thing.
I agree with what most people are saying about the sound. I was sitting in the balcony almost dead center, and much of the vocals were undistinguishable and the sound was real muddy and too loud. The musicians played great though, and this time I was especially blown away by napoleon. The first show i saw was in Toronto and Napoleon wasn't there, so it was a real treat to be able to see the zpz band again with Napoleon.
I enjoyed all of the show, especially songs they didnt play last tour such as "Who are the brain police" and "andy".
Vai was great and cheesy as always and Bozzio is/was/will always be the best drummer on earth, noone can hold a candle to him even after he hurt his arm in july.
great show, i hope they do this more often

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 12:48 am 

I was sitting in the balcony and thought the sound and show were fantastic through Inca Roads - tremendous song! Dweezil did a fantastic job.

I thought the sound went south and the show lost all its momentum when Bozzio came out. I love the guy but his drums were too loud and harsh. They didn't get the show back on track until Village of the Sun (Vai's blistering guitar solos aside).

I was lucky enough to see Frank 4 times, 1976, '78, '84 and '88. These players were fantastic and as good as any of Zappa's bands. It was great to see so many songs that Frank never would have played, especially all together in one set.

Post subject: ZPZ (well, sort of) reviewed. . . .
PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 8:23 am 

In lieu of reviewing the performance—all ten artists giving it their all, of course—I’ll bring everyone else up to speed on what we WERE able to hear clearly.

LE MYSTÈRE DES VOIX BULGARES stands out as a classic, if not inimitable pre-concert warmup CD the world over. Part of the Nonesuch Explorer series, the 1987 analog recording filled the Center for the Arts mainstage with the mellifluous dissonances of none other than the Bulgarian State Radio and Television Female Vocal Choir under the direction of Philip Koutev and Krasimir Kyurkchiyski . . . damn lucky Slavs if ever there were any. This, after all, is the reference Balkan folk recording in nearly every ethnic enclave of Sofia and portions of greater Hamilton, Ontario, too.

General seating was welcomed with Pilentze Pee on the PA. A full-bore choral coup, this track both psyched up and bewildered those wandering into the hall, three ushers per ticket holder. Sonically, the track paved—er, laid down a gravel path—for the rest of the dozen treats we had in store. Svtaba packed a punch with a percussive round that hinted at the essence of the 2-cylinder homeland, or maybe cackles from some sort of stork. Kalimankou Denkou is a mouthful, to say the least, but just think “Bulgarian White Cheeseâ€

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 6:33 pm 

Zappa Plays Zappa
UB Center for the Arts
Amherst, NY
October 23, 2006

Please do not sell or encode this to inferior formats.

Source: MM-HLSC-1's >Custom BB(Roll <65Hz) >iHp-120(rockboxed)44/16 wav

Transfer: USB 2.0 >CDWave(splits) >Flac Frontend >Flac8

Location: 2nd row center, 8 feet from left speaker on the stage.

Taper: Toolmanwill

Notes: In my opinion the best recording i've ever made.
Had the stage monitor pointing right in my face.
Comments have been made about the sound being too loudwhich
comes across in a few selections.
Bonus 18 minute soundcheck recording was done
from halfway between stage and soundboard. Would
have had it all but i thought tape was rolling the first 20 min.

Performed by:

Dweezil Zappa - Stereo Gibson;
Napoleon Murphy Brock - flute, alto saxophone and vocal;
Steve Vai - guitar;
Terry Bozzio - drums;
Pete Griffin - bass;
Jamie Kime - guitar;
Joe Travers - drums;
Aaron Arntz - keyboards;
Sheila Gonzales - keyboards, sax and vocal;
Billy Hulting - percussion and marimba;

Soundcheck Setlist: TT 18:50

1) Regyptian Strut(cut in)
2) Setup Chatter
3) St. Alfonzo's Pancake Breakfast/Father Oblivion
4) Setup Chatter
5) Black Napkins
6) Setup Chatter
7) Advance Romance
8) ????

Show Setlist: TT 3:10:50

1) Andy
2) Call Any Vegetables
3) Tell Me You Love Me
4) Who are the Brain Police
5) Can't Afford No Shoes
6) Sheila's Kenny-G Jam
7) Pygmy Twylyte
8) Idiot Bastard Son
9) Cheepnis
10) I am the Slime
11) A Pound for a Brown
12) a. Don't Eat the Yellow Snow
b. St. Alfonzo's Pancake Breakfast
c. Father Oblivion
13) Inca Roads
14) I'm So Cute
15) Trying to Grow a Chin
16) Advance Romance
17) Punky's Whips
18) The Black Page
19) Peaches
20) Montana
21) Village of the Sun
22) Echidna's Arf
23) Zomby Woof
24) Black Napkins
25) The Torture Never Stops
26) More Trouble Every Day
27) Introductions/Token of his Extreme
28) Regypian Strut

Seen this out there already

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 6:53 pm 

WOW!! where did you find that? How can I get it? How's the quality??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 3:30 pm 

I loved the show. I'm sorry this is a reply but "only moderators can create new posts..."
What can I say that hasn't been said in one of the posts here? I agree with whoever said Frank was the star of the show. I've been a fan for many years but never saw Frank in person. With ZPZ, I do somehow feel like a small piece of the big puzzle found it's way back up on my table.

The highlights for me were the Beacon show in NYC, the Buffalo show, and the Wallingford Connecticut show coming up in two days. It's already a highlight. I'm so friggin' psyched. There are so many highlights in these shows it's silly.

This band is absolutely worth the huge drives, (5+ hrs. each way to Buffalo alone) hotels, tickets, begging for switching shifts, etc... whatever ya gotta do...

Sheila, Pete, Billy, Jamie, & Aaron are great. It's not just that they do really impressive huge sets of Frank's music which aint easy, but it's the energy that they bring. They make the music feel alive and fresh.
I've seen NMB a bunch of times with Ike & Porject/Object and he is consistently great. His voice and energy have not aged and I wish we could all move like that.
Dweezil was awesome and is awesome. Incredible work making his dream and ours real. He clearly did this the right way with great attention to detail.
Steve Vai. ... wow
In Buf, Terry out from behind the kit for I'm So Cute was a treat. I always wanted to see Punky's Whips and The Black Page in person.
Joe Travers... For years now, I've seen his name on cds, videos, etc...
I really dig the work of Mike Keneally and Joe has worked with MK for years and years. In fact, they were together with Dweezil, Ahmet, and Brian Bellar in Z.
(Check out Joe on the Mike Keneally Band - Guitar Therapy DVD. Check out MK.)
I've always thought Joe was really impressive. After seeing him person, I am a fan. He's an outstanding musician and he's the vaultmaster.
In Buffalo, I thought the band seemed more comfortable. NMB was very entertaining. Sheila and NMB both sounded great with all the horn pieces and Aaron was great. Dweezil picked the right people.

Thank you again Dweezil & everyone with ZPZ and the Zappa family.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 3:31 pm 

I loved the show. I'm sorry this is a reply but "only moderators can create new posts..."
What can I say that hasn't been said in one of the posts here? I agree with whoever said Frank was the star of the show. I've been a fan for many years but never saw Frank in person. With ZPZ, I do somehow feel like a small piece of the big puzzle found it's way back up on my table.

The highlights for me were the Beacon show in NYC, the Buffalo show, and the Wallingford Connecticut show coming up in two days. It's already a highlight. I'm so friggin' psyched. There are so many highlights in these shows it's silly.

This band is absolutely worth the huge drives, (5+ hrs. each way to Buffalo alone) hotels, tickets, begging for switching shifts, etc... whatever ya gotta do...

Sheila, Pete, Billy, Jamie, & Aaron are great. It's not just that they do really impressive huge sets of Frank's music which aint easy, but it's the energy that they bring. They make the music feel alive and fresh.
I've seen NMB a bunch of times with Ike & Porject/Object and he is consistently great. His voice and energy have not aged and I wish we could all move like that.
Dweezil was awesome and is awesome. Incredible work making his dream and ours real. He clearly did this the right way with great attention to detail.
Steve Vai. ... wow
In Buf, Terry out from behind the kit for I'm So Cute was a treat. I always wanted to see Punky's Whips and The Black Page in person.
I really dig the work of Mike Keneally and Joe has worked with MK for years and years. In fact, they were together with Dweezil, Ahmet, and Brian Bellar in Z.
I've always thought Joe was really impressive. After seeing him person, I am a fan. He's an outstanding musician and he's the vaultmaster.
In Buffalo, I thought the band seemed more comfortable. NMB was very entertaining. Sheila and NMB both sounded great with all the horn pieces and Aaron was great. Dweezil picked the right people.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 3:32 pm 

Steve Vai. ... wow

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 8:58 pm 

Kudos to Dweezil for the tremendous respect he's showing his genious father on this tour. I greatly admire the time, effort and sacrifice he's put into this project. I believe Frank's music will live on forever as long as there's still some intelligent life on this (bi-polar) planet. DZ is effectively contributing to that.

I saw FZ live in a number of shows from '67 thru around '74. From then on, to the present, I've been sating my appetite for his work by amassing as many of his recordings as possible.

I saw the Buffalo ZPZ concert with my 23yr. old son (also an FZ and Capt. Beefheart fan). We were about 3/4ths of the way back in the center balcony. The sound at that location worked for just fine for me. Sure, the sound and lighting tecnicians could have been more on top of their game, but it didn't detract from the overall excellence of this most memorable event.

I bow in reverence to all ten of you, and hope to see you again soon!

Best regards, Hans

P.S. This was not a critique because I believe that, "Those that can't do it, teach it! Those who can't do either, write reviews!