Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 1:47 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: 25 October 2006: Providence, RI
PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 12:19 am 
Site Admin

Did you attend this show at the Providence Performing Arts Center in Providence?

Post your impressions/photos/reviews here.

Please do not post in this thread if you did not attend this show.

Thanks!

Zappa.com Admin
www.zappa.com

Post subject: Providence, RI October 25th
PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 3:50 am 

It's been an hour and my wife and I are still buzzing about the excellence of this show! This will be clearly one of the best concerts I have ever attended! The band played many of Frank's best compositions and they did it with a clear commitment to being as good as Frank was on stage. This was a wonderful experience. The musicianship was outstanding.

I saw Frank in this same theatre 21 years ago (plus a day - October 24, 1975). It was pretty cool to sit there tonight and try to remember that show, but all I can remember was the long delay before it started due to power problems.

The sound engineering was good tonight, although at a couple of times I wanted to grab the knobs myself. This must be a really hard mix to do, and it was mostly very good. The fidelity was right-on. The lighting was old fashioned color washes with follow spots, just like the shows in the old days. That was just perfect!

THANK YOU!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 4:18 am 

Dweezil-
Thank-you, thank-you, thank-you for bringing Franks' music back to the stage!!! And thanks for hooking up with us fans after the show. That was very nice of you to sign for us.

I listen every day, and the best compliment I can give you is almost every note sounded like it was supposed to be there. That's a testament to the precision of both the original recorded performances, and what I heard tonight. My wife isn't really a Frank fan, (even though she loved you on Food Network), but she just thought the musical performance of everyone on stage was amazing. She really liked the music, so new fan!

Please come back!

Napolean--you're a nut!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 11:31 am 

andy
call any vegetable
tell me you love me
who are the brain police?
can't afford no shoes
willie the pimp (emasculated)
pygmy twylyght
idiot bastard son
cheepnis
i am the slime
pound for a brown
don't eat the yellow snow
st. alphonzo's pancake breakfast
father o'blivion
inca roads
<bozzio> i'm so cute
trying to grow a chin
advance romance
punky's whips
black page #1
<vai> black page #2 </bozzio>
peaches en regalia
montana
village of the sun
echidna's arf
zombie woof </vai>
black napkins
the torture never stops

encore
quick orange county lumber truck, oh no riffs
<vai, bozzio> more trouble every day
tush tush tush (token of my extreme band intros)
regyptian strut

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 1:22 pm 

I saw the show in PVD... I am still experiencing the musical hangover. this only occurs when all your senses get maxed out as the music vibrates thru to your soul. this performance was just that... an all over high for all the senses to groove to.
i have been a huge Zappa fan for over 30 yrs, in fact i still have posters in my house and listen daily. To me grooving to Zappa is better than prozac in calming and altering moods.
I am still in awe of this preformance. Not one second of it was off or wrong. It was all perfection, entertaning and the best concert I have ever experienced. the most wicked cool awesome experience ever!There are no words to describe the talent witnessed on the stage. Every person on that stage rocked. I am overwhelmed with Dweezil's giutar skills and his abilty to play Frank's music. I never though it was going to be as if Frank was standing there. Ithink I saw him watching with pride from the balcony.
I encourage anyone who is a Zappa fan or just a true fan of music, to see this show. it truly will be worth every cent spent. in today's world of inflated ticket prices and commercial pop no talents.... this is truly refreshing and worth the price!!!!! I cannot express enough that this show should not be missed and I beg the zappa gods to bring them back to Providence soon! Meanwhile, as I already have just about every Zappa cd, i am off to look for Dweezil's !

Bette Spinale...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 1:43 pm 

Absolutely amazing.

I have only one proble with the show and that is that it is not in Providence everday for the next week.

What a mind-boggling surprise that GREATLY exceeded any expectations.

There WERE a couple of mistakes (people saying it was all perfect, hehe), but hey, Brock can forget the words sometimes, given his energy was out of this world (The Torture Never Stops). Dweezil blowing a few notes during Andy right at the beginning was easily forgiven (strings break, man!), but this is real-life; live performance!

The ability of those young people to play Zappa so tightly is so freaking cool; they dished-up the most surprisingly accurate music I could have imagined without Frank being on-stage.

The nostalgia of doing the entire intro from the Halloween concert on Baby Snakes for Punky's Whips was fantastic and "little Terry Ted Bozzio" did NOT disappoint. Steve Vai was, well, Steve Vai. You get in a Mercedes you expect a good ride; you got one last night.

Dweezil should be very proud of himself for having assembled this crew (certainly with the help of others) and keeping things as true to his dad's music as possible; so little was lost in translation.

Awesome performances by everyone on that stage last night and I am so glad that I took the time to go, hoping against all hope that it would be a good show and being completely blow-away by the spectacle.

Way to play the audience, Dweezil. You almost had me convinced that Frank was in town.

Post subject: Awesome show in Providence
PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 3:52 pm 

:D My best friend Billy (he bought the tickets - what a pal), my twin brother Jay and I were really jacked up about this show and we were not disappointed. Highlights for me were "The Idiot Bastard Son" straight into "Cheapness," "Inca Roads," "Black Napkins," (really nice solo by Dweezil) and seeing Steve Vai, Terry Bozzio and Napoleon Murphy Brock. All the musicians were amazing. Pete Griffin is just fantastic on Bass. Please come back this way again and stay longer. Best concert I've seen.

Post subject: Great show!!
PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 6:36 pm 

At 42, this was my first Zappa show. Not sure why as I was always a big fan. It seemed like mine was about the average age at PPAC last night. Great crowd :)

I had 3rd row seats on Vai's side of the stage, and what a great bunch of performers to see up close. Man, you guys are tight! I really enjoyed Dweezil's conducting segment, and Pete's bass playing then and all night (way to drive those beats Pete!!).

Other highlights for me...

1) Napolean's joy & energy throughout the show. You sure know how to have fun, and your voice is as strong as ever!!

2) Dweezil and Stave Vai's back and forth soloing during Montana.

3) Dweezil's solo on The Torture Never Stops. I thought I'd like to hear the Gibson SG solos the best, but the SG didn't come through as well on my side of the room as the Telecaster.

4) Dweezil seemed awfully proud of the show and the band, and very comfortable up there. Your Dad is awfully proud of you Dweezil!

5) The young musician's that you guys found were awesome. Really a perfect group for this show.

I hope that you guys come around more often. My 9-year old son is a big fan and wanted to come. Maybe in another 5 years or so. I told him I'd buy him something at the show, and he hoped I'd find a little foil wrapped pat of margerine with "St. Alphonso's" stamped on it, but no luck. Oh well. The Zappa moustache pin had to suffice, and he's now wearing it proudly on his backpack for school!

I sure do hope that you guys will release some live material from this tour. I am so used to being able to buy recordings of shows directly from band sites these days (Primus, Pearl Jam, Allman Bros, do it now). I would have loved to get a recording of last night's awesome show. Please release something official from the tour!!!

Thanks for the pleasure and hope to see you again soon!

-Greg

Post subject: Providence
PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 7:19 pm 

Dweezel -first and foremost congratulations to you and your lovely wife on your new Baby. Everything is different now isn’t it? That being said, let’s get to last nights performance. You have really done your father proud. Thank you for bringing such joy and beauty back to life. I have lost my mother this past month and a great sadness has prevailed my life. My son suggested that I take a vacation. Not possible at this time. However I took a three hour vacation last night. Thanks to you, the collection of amazing musicians that graced the stage and of course the brilliance of Frank, for me, this event was cathartic. Again thank you and blessing on your house!

Post subject: Not as dark but almost as good
PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 8:09 pm 

I am posting this too late. Most of the good stuff has already been said.

Incredibly, I was at the same show as JamieMurdock and remember the problems as the old Palace Concert Theater, which now the Providence Performing Arts Center (PPAC) or peepack as we like to call it.

I was working parking cars for a local 'legend' named B.A. Dario, who also owned the Palace. (Non-Rhode Islanders may have heard of another local hero named Buddy Cianci. Same kind of guy). Anyway, one night around that time I was dropping off my receipts and saw Peter Gabriel in his batwing outfit (floor length cape, color reminiscent of bat wings fanning out above his head) pacing the floor, smoking a cigarette and complaining about the !@$#% theater. Genesis was playing that night and were about 1 1/2 hours late due to a leak in the ceiling, strategically placed to drip rain water right on Peter's head.

The theater is much better now. It is one of the old Loew's theaters build in the late 1920's and very nicely restored. All red's and gilt with greek classical ornamentation. I suspect they built these theaters with acoutics in mind and it still sounds, generally, great. I was way off to the right (18th row, though. Not bad for a ticket bought 2 hours before the show) but it still sounded great. My only real complaint would be the first couple of songs sounded muddled. Guess it took a while tune the room.

Again, I agree with all the previous posts. The only comment I have is that, though Dweezil promised "dark" songs, he never seemed to pull it off. The music was great but it just didn't have the Dantesque quality that his dad brought. Was convinced he was the devil during one of the songs back in '75.

Then again, it may have been the drugs....

Post subject: Great show
PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 8:21 pm 

I agree with everything everyone has posted about the show last night. I put it up in the top 5 shows I have ever attended. I am wondering if the photo taken at the end of the show would somehow be available. I have a great large format printer and would be honored to have it in my office. So if this is passed on to someone who can please contact me, post a reply or e-mail. once again the show was top shelf!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 12:44 am 

OH MY LORD what a show enough said
Thanks Dweezil I know you could pull it off ( w/ a little help from some friends ) you were given a gift man.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 3:34 pm 

I loved the show. I was in NYC and Buffalo. I'm sorry this is a reply to the wrong post but "only moderators can create new posts..." and I cannot post to either the Buf or NYC post.
What can I say that hasn't been said in one of the posts here? I agree with whoever said Frank was the star of the show. I've been a fan for many years but never saw Frank in person. With ZPZ, I do somehow feel like a small piece of the big puzzle found it's way back up on my table.

The highlights for me were the Beacon show in NYC, the Buffalo show, and the Wallingford Connecticut show coming up in two days. It's already a highlight. I'm so friggin' psyched. There are so many highlights in these shows it's silly.

This band is absolutely worth the huge drives, (5+ hrs. each way to Buffalo alone) hotels, tickets, begging for switching shifts, etc... whatever ya gotta do...

Sheila, Pete, Billy, Jamie, & Aaron are great. It's not just that they do really impressive huge sets of Frank's music which aint easy, but it's the energy that they bring. They make the music feel alive and fresh.
I've seen NMB a bunch of times with Ike & Porject/Object and he is consistently great. His voice and energy have not aged and I wish we could all move like that.
Dweezil was awesome and is awesome. Incredible work making his dream and ours real. He clearly did this the right way with great attention to detail.
Steve Vai. ... wow
In Buf, Terry out from behind the kit for I'm So Cute was a treat. I always wanted to see Punky's Whips and The Black Page in person.
Joe Travers... For years now, I've seen his name on cds, videos, etc...
I really dig the work of Mike Keneally and Joe has worked with MK for years and years. In fact, they were together with Dweezil, Ahmet, and Brian Bellar in Z.
(Check out Joe on the Mike Keneally Band - Guitar Therapy DVD. Check out MK.)
I've always thought Joe was really impressive. After seeing him person, I am a fan. He's an outstanding musician and he's the vaultmaster.
In Buffalo, I thought the band seemed more comfortable. NMB was very entertaining. Sheila and NMB both sounded great with all the horn pieces and Aaron was great. Dweezil picked the right people.

Thank you again Dweezil & everyone with ZPZ and the Zappa family.

Post subject: Great concert!
PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 5:25 pm 

I saw this concert on October 25th in Providence, along with my wife, son, and nephew. We all had a great time.

I've been a Zappa fan ever since the days of Freak Out! and have around sixty albums of his music. I saw Zappa in October of 1975 in the very same theater where Dweezil performed the Zappa Plays Zappa tour this fall.

To Dweezil and his mother and siblings, I simply want to say, "Thank you," for honoring your father's legaccy in this way. I know you must miss him terribly. Many of the rest of us do as well, even if in not so personal a way.

I got a copy of "The Real Frank Zappa" for Christmas and have already devoured it. I agree with most of Frank's values (excepting mainly his disregard for healthy living -- smoking and poor eating habits). Frank was great at questioning the underlying assumptions of modern American society but, like most of us, not quite as skilled at questioning his own assumptions. Nevertheless, there is much we all should listen to in Frank's wisdom on most topics.

Sometimes posters express their gratitude, Dweezil, for your helping to keep your father's memory alive. I, too, am very grateful that you brought your concert tour to Providence. You father's memory, however, will still be alive hundreds of years from now regardless of what any of us alive today do or fail to do. He will be recognized,, along with the likes of Ives, Copland, Gershwin, etc, as among America's first, greatest, and most original composers. Dweezil, you've earned congratulations in your own right for organizing a splendid concert tour.