Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:58 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: 29 October 2006: Wallingford, CT
PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 11:26 pm 
Site Admin

Did you attend this show at the Chevrolet Theater in Wallingford?

Post your impressions/photos/reviews here.

Please do not post in this thread if you did not attend this show.

Thanks!

Zappa.com Admin
www.zappa.com

Post subject: Absolutely brilliant!!
PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 5:23 am 

What an absolutely great performance tonight! I'm sure Frank would be so proud of the great job Deweezil has done putting together a great ensemble of musicians.
Shelia Gonzalez blew me away with her great vocals and both sax and keyboard work. A talented young lady indeed. Best of luck on the remainder of the tour and any future endeavors. Thank you all for a wonderful night of entertainment......Ed

Post subject: Best concert I've ever seen
PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 6:34 am 

This was my first full Zappa concert (I had seen Grandmothers and Project/Object in small venues before) and I was blown away by the top notch quality of the entire production. Everything was extremely well done, and I was very impressed with the precision of all the musicians who had never played with Frank back in the day. It was an extravagant concert and well worth the money.

Post subject: picture
PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 6:55 am 

will post more later.......killer show
copy and paste......http://rapidshare.com/files/1243745/P1010078aaa.jpg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 11:52 am 

fuck me, beat me, spank me, throw in the towel.
that was amazing. Nothing beats hearing FZ's music live, with a band that can stop on a dime.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 12:22 pm 

I grew up in New York in the 70's and saw Frank every Holloween show he played. Last night was like a flashback. It was awesome. I brought my 16 year old son and he loved it. When Steve Vai came out he was thrilled. We made a new Zappa fan last night, just like Dweezil said he hoped to do.

Post subject: Wallingford CT concert
PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 12:33 pm 

My wife and I had a great time! There were only minor feedback gaffs by the sound guy (two) but some of the clearest reinforcement I have experienced. What a wonderful venue to hear live music that I have missed for about 2 decades, brought back by Dweezel and his wonderful band. I was planted for just over 3 hours while my smile grew larger and larger, my feat beat the complicated polyrhythms (as best as I could manage) and I sang along the Napolean Murphy Brock the music that became my lifes sound track. Wow.

I could go on but the glow I feel could last a very long time and I don't wish to analyze it further. Thanks Zappa Family Trust.

MYSOFA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 2:23 pm 

so did anyone figure out the complete set? my head is still too jumbled to do the math...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 2:30 pm 

The show last night was amazing. Great set list, phenominal musicianship, and a great venue with killer sound. Any see the pumpkin that fans brought down carved with the signature FZ Imperial? Security got all whiney and took it away, an hour later Vai walks out on stage with it and sets it down in front of the 2 keyboard players. The Kenny G thing cracked me up as well.

Did anyone write down the set list? Tons of great FZ tunes - I'm sure we all had some that didn't make the show (Dog Breath, Caroline Hardcore Ecstacy, Stinkfoot and tons more I would have enjoyed being added to the list -but with the massive catalog they have to work with, it's hard to please everyone.)

Post subject: Tickets for sale
PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 3:27 pm 

I've got three tickets to ZPZ in New York tomorrow night on EBAY! Had a brain fart and can't go! I'd be missing my 4-year olds Halloween. Going to see them in DC tonight.

Hope someone will buy them. Need to get them to the post office by about 4 today so I can go drink beer by the Warner. Saw them in Philly and it is well worth it. Wish I could be in NY. Maybe 5 years from now!

Willing to seel them for less. Call me at 443-570-5373. May also be able to get you Bald-Headed Johns autograph. He has a boat at my parents marina. He'll probably be in DC tonight. Hope so! Maybe he'll stand on stage.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 4:19 pm 

I thought it was an excellently crafted show . Frank would have been proud . Travers is an awesome drummer . Im glad Kenny G comment was a joke . my mind doesnt remember things as well as it did . So a song list would be great .

thanks Dweezil and the band and the Family for putting on the show for the fans . I did see a number of younger fans which I was glad for . Keep franks music alive . It deserves to be !

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 4:29 pm 

Wow amazing simply amazing 2nd time seeing them and dweezil and friends just get more amazing. set lists im sure is the same as the night before mabye a few diff things. But wow a must see. Hope we get a recording of some of theses shows, or Dvd.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 4:33 pm 

a DVD would be the best, a hell of a way to commemorate an amazing tour

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 5:44 pm 

Last night was an incredible show. Everybody did awesome job. Frank defenetly would be proud of what Dweesel put together.
Keep up the good work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 5:50 pm 

As I sat awaiting for the Wallingford CT show to begin I realized that tonight would be something really special. It all started out shortly after the theater doors opened by relaxing in my seat and listening to Trance Fusion. While I had seen 5 previous shows in June this was my first Fall gig . I was not only looking forward to hearing the new additions but was quite happy to be attending this show with a cousin who had not seen ZPZ as of yet. My cousin and I used to listen to Zappa records together in the late 60s and both had seen many Frank tours so I was eager to hear his reaction to ZPZ. As we discussed the arrangements on Trance Fusion as each track came about we thought back in time to when we saw many shows on those particular tours where those solos came from and how the instrumentation and arrangements of songs had varied between different touring bands. The topic of arrangements became a focal point of our discussion as we discussed the Zappa Plays Zappa arrangements being from the core 70s.

As the show began Dweezil started it off with conducting of the band and then they went into Andy. As each song in the set list made it’s way along we heard perfect execution of many of Frank’s most enjoyable songs and arrangements. The majority of the time what you heard was clear note perfect renditions of particular arrangements from Frank’s career but as many of Frank’s songs have plenty of space for improvisations this enabled one to enjoy artistic expressionism from some of the most talented musicians ever assembled on one stage. There was plenty enough room to showcase solos from each member of the core and special guests. Be it one musician or everyone playing in a jamming format the improvisational space was moved around like a bowl of soup with all the right ingredients. Not for one instance did I think this band or any individual was deviating from the artistic integrity of Frank Zappa .

For this particular show I am going to leave out any specific commentary on what any musician did and just keep it simple by saying this band simply was as true to Frank Zappa’s arrangements while at the same time leaving room for exploration to all ends of Zappa’s Universe as one could ever hope for.

One other thought was these guys behind me. For some strange reason during the Black Page they had to repeatedly state Led Zepplin Moby Dick which translates to why are these big dicks behind me talking over The Black Page. I mean dancing to part two of the Black Page is a wonderful way to use your energy but repeatedly saying Led Zepplin Moby Dick is a bit out of the question of what I want my ears to hear while Terry is performing it. The Night of The Iron Sausage has new meaning.

I would like to add some thoughts my cousin relayed to me. He really enjoyed the show. What impressed him was not only the performance but Dweezil's approach to the music. Dweezil's selection of core lineup and overall attempt to get a younger audience interested in Zappa left quite an impression. He has been a musician for 45 years and was quite taken by Dweezil's overall character.

Happy Halloween Everybody