Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 8:28 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 6:49 pm 

I can't add any more to what has already been posted. Amazing band, outstanding concert, DVD please !! While the crowd was heavy to old(er) white guys I was happy to see some young faces there who were totally into it.

Thanks to Dweezil and all the Zappa family for keeping it real. The acorn did not fall far from the tree.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 7:24 pm 

Dweezil has grown so much as a player in the last few years it's insane. He still falls into those shredding modes that he developed in his youth, but the way he has adapted his phrasing to more like FZ's style, just amazing.

I honestly didn't think he had it in him, i knew he could play, but during Inca Roads, you could believe it was Frank playing. He sold it so well

A hell of a job by all, i'm probably repeating myself from other posts, but who cares, i've been gushing about it all day.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 9:26 pm 

Overall, the band was an absolute ten on technical merit. Dweezil is beginning to shine as a guitarist; you could feel some struggles in June - not so in October. Aaron Arntz's solo towards the end of the show was fantastic. Schelia's presence on stage, coupled with her breadth of talent is more than energizing.

Griffin/Travers are as solid a team as you will find. It was fun to see Jamie Kime trading licks at the end, and Billy Hulting has grown as a musician - as has each member of the band. Joe Travers took on the monsterous Terry Bozzio, using a kit one third of the size, and more than held his own.

The special guests were fantastic, but Napoleon, Terry, and Steve have faithfully taken a step back to allow the amazing seven to begin to shine in their own right. In June, the "faithful three" carried much of the show. In October, they were genuinely guests of the band. And a great band it is.

Dweezil's orchestrating was much improved. The sound quality was spot on. The band was tighter than one could ever expect.

With such a large stage it was a shame not to have a half dozen members of the audience "dancing like they've never danced before" at the end of the evening. But, that is what made Frank Frank.

Overall, one of the best shows I've had the absolute pleasure of seeing. Ten times better than in June, which was mind blowing in its' own right. I left the theatre speechless.

Cheers.

Post subject: Re: 29 October 2006: Wallingford, CT
PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 3:10 am 

admin wrote:
Did you attend this show at the Chevrolet Theater in Wallingford?

Post your impressions/photos/reviews here.

Please do not post in this thread if you did not attend this show.

Thanks!

Zappa.com Admin
www.zappa.com

:D Well, I want to start by thanking Dweezil for having the Vision, Courage and Capability to bring Frank's music forward for present and future fans of the best musical experience possible. This is simply: Musical Excellence! The show on Sunday was fantastic, from the first note to the final bows (three plus hours in between). The set had changed tremendously from the Boston show in June and all seemed to be in the "zone". While every song was fantastic, some very special moments included: Call Any Vegetable, Andy, Inca Roads, Black Napkins, The Torture Never Stops, Trouble Every Day, Zomby Woof, The slime, Punky's Whips, The Black Page 1 and 2. Each and every song was a jem. Steve and Terry were on Fire as were Napoleon and Scheila. Jamie provided some realy hot solos in step with Dweezil and Steve. I can't say enough about the show. I had the wonderful opportunity to meet Dweezil, Napoleon, Steve, Jamie, and Aaron after the show backstage, and they are as nice in person as they are talented. Not a common thing for people with their capabilities. A fabulous experience. I hope ZPZ continues for many years to come as I want to continue to support their musical excellence. Thanks!

Post subject: Setlist
PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 6:43 pm 

It was an awesome show, only problem was I couldnt hear what Dweezil was saying between songs, Terry Bozzio was on a genuine tear, as was every other member of the band. Scheila Gonzalez was unreal playing the sax and keyboard simultaneously, never seen anything like it. When Dweezil and Vai went back and forth with the guitars I was blown away. Ive been a Zappa fan since I was 12 and Frank died before I got a chance to see him, thank god Dweezil is doing these shows, I can die happy now.

Does anyone know the setlist from this show? I cant remember any of it I was so amazed

Post subject: Playlist
PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 6:50 pm 

Does anybody have the playlist from this show, I cant remember any of it I was so enthralled, the whole thing was outstanding.

Post subject: 10/29 WWZD?
PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 9:28 pm 

These Mothers is Crazy!
Great show tonight, on the 30th anniversary of Zoot Allures. Napoleon made the show for me, but Dweezil more than
proved his chops on Black Napkins. Great cameos by Bozzio & Vai. Everyone carried their own weight and really pulled it off.
Here's my best shot at a set list, sorry if I missed anything:

Andy
Call Any Vegetable
Tell Me You Love Me
Who Are the Brain Police?
Can't Afford No Shoes
Pygmy Twilite
Idiot Bastard Son
Cheapness
I'm the Slime
The Purple Lagoon / Approximately
Yellow Snow
St. Alfonzo
Inca Roads
I'm So Cute
Trying to Grow a Chin
Advance Romance
Punky's Whips
Black Page 1 & 2
Peaches & Regalia
Montana
Village of the Sun
Zombie Woof
Black Napkins
Torture Never Stops
More Trouble Coming Every Day
closing medely: Orange County/King Kong/ drum duel

All in all a great set.
Would have liked to have heard some modern political commentary, though. (Lonesome Cowboy Bush? Cheney's Such an Asshole?)
Anyone who enjoyed this show would be well-advised to check out Project Object or the Grandmothers.
Both put on excellent shows with vintage allumni, but at smaller, more intimate venues.
Thanks to Dweezil and everyone who made this show possible.

Goodnight Wallingford, wherever you are.

Post subject: Zappa In Wallingford
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 6:45 pm 

Previous posters, you won't like this:

I really enjoyed the Wallingford show: the core band's amazing musicianship, NMB's showmanship, Dweezil's skilled, modest & loving treatment of Frank's music, and the music itself. I sincerely appreciated almost all of it, but Vai and Bozzio deserve a break from their extended solo flameouts. Thanks for the chance to use the bathroom, but those guys unfairly distracted from a very talented core band. If you want to showcase veteran FZ players, next time try for a few of the early Mothers, Captain Beefheart (?!), somebody to help NMB keep the old anarchy alive.

And bury Punky's Whips with the 90-piece drumkit, willya please?