Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sat Aug 02, 2014 6:33 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: 30 October 2008: New York, NY
PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 1:12 am 
Site Admin

Did you attend the second ZPZ show at the Blender Theatre in New York, NY?

Dweezil and the band love reading your reviews.

Please do not post in this thread if you did not attend the show.

Mikey
Zappa.com Webmeister

Post subject: Second of Three
PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 4:09 am 

Just got home from the second show -- totally different from last night -- lots of things from Frank's early catalogue and loads of fun. Dweezil's solo on Zomby Woof was among his best and Billy's solo tonight was terrific and soulful. Sheila looked like she visited Bloomie's this afternoon, and her sax solo was great (and wonderful that she came from behind the keys stack). It was nice to hear Ray wail on guitar again. A more upbeat crowd. I still don't get why you couldn't rent some risers for Aaron and Joe -- they were both invisible (although Joe's vocals tonight were great). Last night I brought a friend, tonight I came with my wife (who I introduced to Frank's music in 1975 and came with me to countless shows), tomorrow with my son. All is good - Music is the best!

Post subject: Did anyone go to the sound check?
PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 10:09 am 

How was it? Can you take any pictures? Any advance info would help as I am going on Halloween!!!!

Post subject: ZAPPA PLAYS ZAPPA
PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 10:26 am 

I would appreciate (and I think this feeling is echoed by all users of this board) if the BAND could post an actual setlist either before or afterr the show. Sometimes it takes days, and we do not even always have the best info, whereas the band actually knows the names of all the songs.

This should be done quickly and I think it is your responsibilty to keep us informed.

I'm going tonite, Halloween, and I'm hoping NOT to hear BILLY THE MOUNTAIN again. There is a lot of MUSIC but it is not part of that song.

Post subject: Re: ZAPPA PLAYS ZAPPA
PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 11:15 am 

gberger23 wrote:
I would appreciate (and I think this feeling is echoed by all users of this board) if the BAND could post an actual setlist either before or afterr the show. Sometimes it takes days, and we do not even always have the best info, whereas the band actually knows the names of all the songs.

This should be done quickly and I think it is your responsibilty to keep us informed.

I'm going tonite, Halloween, and I'm hoping NOT to hear BILLY THE MOUNTAIN again. There is a lot of MUSIC but it is not part of that song.

Couldn't disagree more. Don't have $450 to see all 3 shows, and i'm counting on BTM

Post subject: Zappa in New York on Halloween night!
PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 12:48 pm 

Give me your Dirty Love 'cause I'll be at the show tonight. It's great once again to see a Zappa show in New York on Halloween night!!! 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 1:00 pm 

here's the set list from last nights show, I think Dweezil's fingers are still on fire.
1. Deathless Horsie
2. Andy
3. Dog Breath
4. Uncle Remus
5. Cheepnis
6. Billy The Mountain
7. Filthy Habits ( band solos)
8. Guitar Giveaway
9. Peaches
10. Montana
11. Tell Me You Love me
12. Pygmy Twylyte (QT)
13. Gas Station
14.San Berdino
15. Yo Mama

Encore
16. Black Napkins
17. Zomby Woof
18. cosmik Debris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 2:15 pm 

last night was another great show! My husband and I have enjoyed all 7 shows that we had the good fortune to attend.

At the House of Blues in Atlantic City, Dweezil was kind enough to sign
my arm--- In Long Island Joe (my favorite "Vaultmeister") was so cool he gave us the set list, duct tape and all. got a little "dizzy" at that venue with the turning stage, but thrilled just the same! And last night in Manhattan Sheila handed us the set list and chatted for a bit, then in true form Dweezil signed the set list for us.

Ray White... you simply ROCK! and I know your singing right to me --lol

A complete group of sheer talent! Have a Happy Halloween Show-- wish we could be there tonight, but we will meet again, soon!

Take care and keep up the great work-- you make Frank proud!
Danielle... from the bus

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 5:18 pm 

Magic from all angles, babies. Foremost: I fell in love with yet another Z song called 'Dog Breath'. That's right--I've got 17,000 Frank records and had never heard that song--until now. Hot stuff. Further: I'm hanging out in the first row on the very edge, and I look over to see who's snapping pics of the band and it's...Diva Zappa with some badass knit hat on! Right on, Diva! And last but not least, I was bummed when I realized I didn't win the guitar, but..wait....the guy right next to me wins it! Yaaaaaaahhh! Great night, big huge suprises, and some nice little ones too. Last: I look over at Scheila at one point and she's giving me these smoky hot intense eyes...sweet!...until I realize she's just looking at Dweez for the next change...lame!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 5:52 pm 

GOING TO SHOW TONIGHT. HOW WAS THE BLENDER THEATHER? NEVER BEEN THEIR.ANY CAMERAS ALLOWED?WILL POST AGAIN AFTER THE SHOW.HAPPY HALLOWEEN ALL YOU ZAPPA FANS.

Post subject: Re: ZAPPA PLAYS ZAPPA
PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 7:40 am 

gberger23 wrote:

READ MY THOUGHTS ON THIS IN THE HALLOWEEN SHOW REVIEWS...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 11:01 am 

Cultiv8r,
I agree with you 100%, Dweezil and the band have NO responsibility
to list the songs in matter of fact I think its more fun not knowing the songs until there played[/quote]

Post subject: Hagstrom guitar winner DAVE
PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 1:35 am 

Hi, Im Dave I was the lucky guitar winner on the 30th.... it was the musical highlight of my life.... except perhaps my first frank show at the palladium halloween 1981.
Thank you Dweezil and everyone in the band for bringing this music back to us.What an amazing tallented energetic group of musicians
Thank you scheila for being so amazing and cool ....THANK YOU .IF ANYONE has good photos of me on stage id love to get the pics. thank you so much

Last edited by dmamo on Mon Nov 03, 2008 4:05 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Yo Mama
PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 5:26 pm 

Dweez,

Thanks so much for the Yo Mama. I heard the start of it in the soundcheck in NH in August 2007 before they threw us out, and have been dying to hear it in entirety ever since. I've been to like 8 shows since, always hoping to hear it. Went to Birchmere, Harrisburg, first Blender show, so this show was my last chance to hear it on this tour since I didn't have a Halloween ticket. Also, The Deathless Horsie was a pleasant surprise and a great way to open the show.

Gberger23, you are out of your mind. All song titles are available in Frank's catalog. Try listening to it. Each song is unique and unmistakable. I hear Britney Spears posts her set list on her web site. Maybe you ought to check her out.

Also, thanks to Glynn for being so cordial to the two audio geeks who keep asking him questions. See you next east coast run.

Post subject: Awesome show
PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 3:30 am 

The show was awesome. Can't wait to get the download. Thanks Dweezil for keeping this going.