Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 3:10 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: The Best Concert I've Ever Seen!
PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 3:05 am 

suzy creamcheese wrote:
The show would have sold out if it had been promoted half as well as the fucking Bob Seeger concert on the previous night.

Agreed suzy creamcheese!

Rob :mrgreen:

Post subject: Zappalicious!
PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 11:25 pm 

What a great show Wednesday night, Dec. 13! I'd seen Steve & Dweez in '93-'94 (Atlanta's Masquerade) when they were on (separate) tours shortly after Frank died, and had seen Napoleon w/Project Object in San Diego as well, but I had never seen Terry live, and had never seen any of these guys in combination before in person. So this was a real treat.

I first saw Frank in the very same Palace Theater here in November '84, and was just blown away. I was already a fan, but in person it became clear very quickly this was a man who had mastered his own destiny, which was a real eye-opener for me at 20 years of age. I can also thank my lucky stars for getting to see the aborted tour of '88 in Columbus, Ohio w/Kenneally & the horn section.

This show had a great vibe from the get-go, the band seemed in genuinely upbeat spirits - and rightfully so with the gorgeous weather here for their visit. The set list was superb, focused as it was at the Roxy period and branching out from there. I was in the orchestra pit in front of the stage, 3 rows from Napoleon, and occasionally things got too loud, cacophonous and/or muddled (in Village of the Sun & Sofa for examples), but most of the time the sound was pretty good for the Palace (which is the most beautiful place I have ever seen any show, but which doesn't have the best acoustics).

Highlights for me were Stevie's unbelievable Zomby Woof solo, Punky's Whips, Pygmy Twylyte, Inca Roads (loved the keyboardist's "traffic" jam, honk! honk!), Peaches, and the improv stuff such as the unreal jam in More Trouble Every Day.

So glad to hear Dweez say this could be an annual thing, I hope he's just as glad to read my wish list for future sets - how's about working these tunes up for next time, Z-man:

City of Tiny Lites
Why Does It Hurt When I Pee?
Penguin in Bondage
Packard Goose
Willie the Pimp
Son of Mr. Green Genes
Pojama People
Hungry Freaks, Daddy
Dumb All Over (more relevant now than ever)

Also glad to say that my $60 ticket was money well spent (never paid more than $30 before on a ticket - just my little protest against exorbitant ticket prices). Wish I could've hung out w/the band a little (especially that cute and talented saxy/keyboard/vocalist in the halter top), but we had a jam scheduled that just had to happen. Fortunately, I've met Dweezil twice (once here in the 'ville in '86 when I informed him that Sandra Bernhardt had plugged his album on David Letterman the night before, and at the aforementioned Atlanta Z show where I got his girlfriend Kennedy to kick the bucket a second time), and Steve (Atlanta also, six days after Frank passed on - he signed my original Flex-Able with the old [mostly] black-and-white cover), and Napoleon - and they're all just really nice guys.

Thanks, and keep the promise to come back!

:-D

Post subject: Incredible Show in Louisville!
PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 2:49 am 

I have some great pictures that I snapped from the 2nd row, but have no way of posting them. If you'd like to see a few, shoot me an email at twinbry@lycos.com. I came adorned in my fabulous red Elvis shirt (the shirt was red, not the Elvis), and thought I'd see more creative festive attire with the Zappaphiles in the audience (this IS a celebration, no?). ...but I digress... Overall I thought the show was way beyond what I expected. Never having been able to see Frank live, I am very thankful to have had the chance to finally see this music performed... quite well I might add. Dweezil sounded fantastic and has become very adept at the material. Everyone seems to be hitting their stride and playing in a fantastic zone. My wife had a great time at the show, although she really didn't know what to expect.

I was also hoping for a full house for the show. I can definitely see that this tour will grow and grow as Dweezil envisions, and hopefully we'll get a chance to pack the place on a future tour (Dweezil - please come back!!!). For those of you not familiar with the Palace Theatre, the ceiling looks as though you are in an outside venue with statues, trees and starry sky. I found myself looking up and strangely feeling Frank smiling down from above as his music sounded out into the theater. Wow, do I miss Frank... (sigh)

What an incredible night... A gigantic THANKS to Dweezil for bringing this show to the fans. Do yourself a favor and don't miss this show!!!

You've got to be digging it while it's happening 'cause it just might be a one shot deal. -- FZ, Waka/Jawaka

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 8:18 pm 

This was the second ZPZ show I've seen (the first being the Detroit show back in June).

While I thought the band did an excellent job, I thought the sound in this venue could have been better. A friend I was with said the system they used wasn't well suited for the venue. I think Dweezil was well aware because he asked the crowd "How's the sound?" after a few songs...

Post subject: Louisville Ky
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 5:06 pm 

Thanks for a wonderful night. Magic. Btw, I just had lunch yesterday with one of Nicolas Slonimsky's students (now 81 years old) and told him what my wife got me for Christmas--tickets to the ZPZ at Louisville Palace. He was grinning from ear-to-ear. He said, "You mean Zappa's boy?" I said yep. He said "From the Original Scores?" I said yep. How cool is it that at 81 years old and a former student of Slonimsky, Copeland, Roy Harris, etc one can still smile when he hears the phrase "Zappa Plays Zappa"? I know this was not quite a review and is a couple of weeks in arears, but what else can be said other than please come back to Louisville, or make a stop in Nashville. We drove from Bowling Green--I(I am program director for a Rock/Classic Rock station) and hardly anyone other than our listeners knew about it. No, they didn't buy time on our station, we promoted it because we wanted to. Please tell the promoter to PROMOTE further out than just the Louisville Metro next time! Regardless, we'll load up the caravan next year, hopefully! Yeah, FOH problems fer sure. Totally, but you could tell Mr. FOH knew it. Thanks all Zappas!